Unique Last Names that you've come across?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you know any unique or unusual last names that you’ve heard of? Perhaps from your very own family tree, or a friend? If you do, share them here!

[name_f]My[/name_f] current list of unique last names I’ve seen online:

Caverly
Danvers
Degray
[name_m]Delgado[/name_m]
[name_m]Devlin[/name_m]
Falkov
[name_u]Glen[/name_u]
Hazeldine
Husher
[name_u]Jensen[/name_u]
[name_m]Lowell[/name_m]
Mayfair
Mercier
[name_u]Moreau[/name_u]
[name_m]Ramirez[/name_m]
[name_m]Rye[/name_m]
Vogel
[name_u]Willoughby[/name_u]
[name_m]Wolfhart[/name_m]/Wolfert

They’re all really cool! :smiley:

1 Like

I love researching surnames! And I’m on the hunt for one that will work as my pen name (I happen to hate my last name), so keep 'em coming!

In my extended family tree we have [name_u]Sterling[/name_u]/[name_f]Starling[/name_f], I love both…
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Price[/name_m]
Woodward
Hildebrant

Last names I’ve found and loved:
Castle
Norcross
Fair - one of my best friend’s surname, combined with her first name it’s always struck me as so ethereal
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] - ditto Fair
O’[name_u]Shea[/name_u]
[name_m]Ramsay[/name_m]

In real life:
Lovelock, McBean (her first name was [name_u]Domino[/name_u] :)), [name_m]Holmes[/name_m], Azeem, Batley, [name_f]Elvy[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], Bellemore, [name_m]Beauregard[/name_m]. I am forgetting a heap, but these are off the top of my head.

Lovegrove, [name_f]Pink[/name_f], Jolin, Purdom, Kurchel, [name_f]Channel[/name_f], Tune, Saywell

@inkling: what’s with the thumbs down? D:
I love [name_f]Starling[/name_f]!

@nooshi: [name_f]Elvy[/name_f]'s a really cute last name! And [name_u]Domino[/name_u] McBean!

@mauvebird: [name_f]Pink[/name_f] would be a really cool last name :smiley:

[name_f]My[/name_f] surname is unique! There are only two (unrelated) families in all of the US with the surname. [name_f]My[/name_f] family, which is based out of Michigan, and the other family (haven’t been able to figure out how we’re related) is from Ohio, Illinois, and Pennsylvania.

I have quite a unique last name that I hate (begins with R, rhymes with hear). I got teased for it in school a lot. [name_f]My[/name_f] Uncle, and by extension my Aunt and cousins, have the last name [name_f]Starling[/name_f]; I’ve always liked that. I also love that my grandma’s maiden name was [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and her father was [name_u]James[/name_u] :stuck_out_tongue: Other cool surnames I’ve heard include Devereux, [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] and [name_f]Lourdes[/name_f], all very handsome!

@casilda: If you don’t mind sharing, what’s your last name? :smiley: Or at least what does it sound like?

@psg: oh wow! [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and [name_u]James[/name_u]! :wink: [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t worry, I don’t think your last name sounds that bad! [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] Rear is a lovely name! I really like [name_f]Lourdes[/name_f], I shall add that to my list!

haha… there’s no words that it sounds like but it is [name_m]German[/name_m] for “on top (of the mountain)”.

@casilda: [name_m]Ah[/name_m], I’m nowhere [name_m]German[/name_m] so I probably can’t guess your last name :stuck_out_tongue: Any other last names you like?

[name_f]My[/name_f] married name is quite uncommon, at least where we live. We, and my husband’s parents and his 3 siblings, are the only ones in our state with our last name :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s a bit of a change me going from having a VERY common last name, that nearly every 3rd person has, to being one of seven in the state with that last name. Though apparently it’s quite common overseas.

Use Google translate. :wink:

I used to work with someone whose surname is Darling. I’m not sure if it’s super uncommon but I still think it’s cool, especially with the right first name.

@casilda: Oben? o: how secretive of you! Darling sounds great!

@sunkissedchild: Well, congratulations! But I still don’t know what’s your last name xD

[name_f]My[/name_f] last name is [name_m]Lim[/name_m]. Is it common or uncommon wherever you guys live?

Oh. [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. Off.

@casilda: Okay… c: Obenauf actually sounds pretty cool to me.

They’re a few on both sides of the family that I really like and have considered using them as a middle name.

[name_f]Shadow[/name_f]
[name_m]Kain[/name_m]
[name_u]Corrie[/name_u]-I really like [name_f]Corinne[/name_f]/[name_f]Corrine[/name_f] as a middle to honor this.
McDaniels
Soule- said like So-ul
Town
[name_m]Winters[/name_m]
[name_m]Lovell[/name_m]
Lamphere

Haha, oh right. [name_f]My[/name_f] last name now is Hillhouse, my maiden name was [name_m]Williams[/name_m].

I don’t know anyone with the last name [name_m]Lim[/name_m].

Sorry, my bad! I have no idea how I ended up with the thumbs down?! It was totally on accident, this is an awesome thread!

@inkling: Haha, I’m glad to hear that! :smiley:

@shannagrace: Wow, such great last names!

I think this will be a pretty useful thread for sharing last name ideas and writers like me could have some inspirations from here! ;D