What about Winslet?

I’m really loving this lately, but I’m not sure DH is sold.
Is the association with [name]Kate[/name] [name]Winslet[/name] too much? It is too odd?
Personally, I think it’s offbeat and quirky but charming and classic sounding. And despite the disney character, I think the nn [name]Winnie[/name] or possibly [name]Winny[/name] is adorable.

If you are a risk taker, this seems to me an unusually lovely gamble. It is a bit off-beat, now that you mention it, but I like it – tentatively. I’m rather on the conversative side about names and not easy to win over, but I’m open to this idea. The word is very pretty and it has a whimsical, feminine feel. Perhaps because of [name]Kate[/name] [name]Winslet[/name], make that feminine yet strong, pretty yet individualistic, whimsical yet intelligent.

I agree with [name]Bonnie[/name], if you’re a risk taker, go for it. At first glance it didn’t sit well, but now that I have said it a few times out loud it is actually growing on me. While it is an unusual name it does have a very classic feel to it. Plus, I think the nick names win or winnie are adorable.

Wow, I actually really like this! This is very classy and sophisticated-sounding, while also being whimsical and friendly. This has some great nickname possibilities: [name]Winny[/name]/[name]Winnie[/name], [name]Lettie[/name], Winsy, etc.

HA!!! I posted a thread a few months ago predicting [name]Winslet[/name] would pop up sooner or later. Score!
Personally, I think the sound is pretty, like “winsome”+[name]Scarlett[/name]. I like it infinitely better than [name]Anniston[/name], anyway. [name]Kate[/name] [name]Winslet[/name] seems a nice enough person, though, yes, I do think it is a pretty dominant association right now. But I predict that most people will like the name a lot if you actually go through with it. It’s sound is very of the moment.

There you go. :smiley:

It’s alright. I do think people would assume you were nameing her after [name]Kate[/name] [name]Winslet[/name]. I like [name]Winnie[/name] a lot and [name]Letty[/name] could work as a nickname too. It’s probably a no go if your husband doesn’t like it. [name]How[/name] about something similar like [name]Winsome[/name]?

I like [name]Winslet[/name] much better than [name]Winsome[/name]. But pp is right. It’s a no-go anyway if the dad isn’t on board.

Also agree with another pp, this name was meant to be – and will be.

I’m afraid I have to disagree. [name]Winslet[/name] calls to mind two things for me: a strange, over-the-top love for [name]Kate[/name] [name]Winslet[/name], and a chicklet. (As in, baby wins are called winslets.) I know I’m in the minority, but I’d stay away from this one.

I definitely agree with the PP, and I wouldn’t have expected so much love for it here…

I agree it kind of has a pretty sound, but it’s strictly a guilty pleasure. I think even [name]Winter[/name] is better than [name]Winslet[/name].

Wait . . . chicklets aren’t chickens; they’re gum. Sorry. Chalk that up to pregnant brain.

I like it, but I like less common names typically.

I can’t say I like it. It’s too tied to [name]Kate[/name].

Agreed.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I didn’t make the association with “[name]Anniston[/name]” before, but now that it’s been mentioned I see the trend. And I agree, I vastly prefer [name]Winslet[/name] to [name]Anniston[/name].

DH hasn’t been giving too much feedback on names just yet. I’ve given him a few suggestions, to which he’s says he’ll have to mull over. In the car today though he admitted to really liking the NN [name]Winnie[/name] (I think he had a soft spot for [name]Winnie[/name] [name]Cooper[/name]…) So, it’s still in the running for us, though I might be leaning more towards using it as a mn ie: [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Winslet[/name], [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Winslet[/name]…but I’m still thinking it through and trying to fit it with someone that doesn’t have too many L sounds.

[name]Even[/name] though chicklet is gum and not a baby chicken ( :smiley: ), I agree that it sounds like a small ‘wins’ - like piglet, etc. I can see the appeal in the sound though, and [name]Winnie[/name] is cute for nn.
I actually think it’s worse in the middle because you don’t get the benefit of it (the appealing sound and nickname); then it’s like you are using it as a family surname or something when it’s really just random. Know what I mean?

I love it, and that sort of surprises me. But, if not for [name]Kate[/name], she feels like a mash-up of [name]Winnie[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name], a feminine form of [name]Winslow[/name].