What are the strangest names you’ve encountered in real life?

I thought this would be a fun topic! :blush: I don’t know that many people, so I only have two odd names to share.

I had a friend named Lilaca, pronounced Lie-luh-cuh. It’s a made-up name but I think it’s lovely. And I also have a friend named Weathercarrot, which is the winner for uniqueness haha :laughing:

I’d love to hear what odd names you all have come across!

3 Likes

I know a T’[name_f]Mia[/name_f], a [name_f]Dari[/name_f], and a [name_u]Pip[/name_u] (female, not a nn), but nothing like Weathercarrot!

1 Like

I just met a girl named [name_m]Felix[/name_m] yesterday, which I’d never heard for girls before but could be more unisex than I realized. At the moment, I can’t think of any other strange names, but I’m sure I’ll remember some later and I can come back to edit.

2 Likes

Those names are quite unique! I love the name [name_u]Pip[/name_u], it’s so cute. :blush: I remembered two more interesting names, I went to school with siblings named Lasen and [name_f]Lusa[/name_f].

Felix for a girl is sooo cute! I know two girls named [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], but [name_m]Felix[/name_m] is far more unique!

1 Like

My best friends name is [name_f]Charisma[/name_f] and her last name is another word name that has strong christmas associations so a lot of people ask if it’s her real name or a stage name (as she is in theatre)!

2 Likes

ShowKat…seriously. He was a super nice guy and a hard worker.

2 Likes

My friend has a daughter called Romelia and I thought she just mashed up [name_u]Romy[/name_u] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] together, but no, it is a real name.
I also knew a girl named Coconut and a man named [name_m]Ebenezer[/name_m]. I am a social worker and have met quite a lot of children with strange names to name a few, [name_f]Treasure[/name_f], [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], [name_m]Bentlee[/name_m], Kitkat, Mishy, [name_u]Lucky[/name_u] and Ninja

4 Likes

I knew a girl called Kitkat

1 Like

I met a man with 12 given names once. They ranged from normal ([name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]) to very unusual (Lastone). I asked him about Lastone and he told me that his dad really wanted a son. His mother had 12 daughters before him. When he came along, his mum looked at his dad and said ‘Last one”, so his dad put it on the birth certificate!

3 Likes

So I’ve come across a lot of unusual names as someone who works with woman & children recently I have worked with a boy called Zschakai which I thought was very interesting

1 Like

The most unusual name I’ve encountered is an adult who changed his name too…
Starfire On The [name_m]Mountain[/name_m]
Yup. That’s his full name. He goes by Starfire.

Also, I had a great aunt who was named Alexanderina ([name_m]Al[/name_m]-ex-and-er-eye-na). Her parents only had a boy name picked out, so when she turned out to be a girl they had to change [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] to a feminine form. (What’s wrong with [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f], [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], [name_f]Alexa[/name_f], [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], etc?!)

2 Likes

La-sha (luh-dash-uh)
[name_u]Lucky[/name_u] (we called her this because her name was so complicated, but I don’t remember what it was!)

Kalob & [name_m]Kaleb[/name_m] spellings of [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]

1 Like

I met a little girl called [name_u]Pippin[/name_u] once :))

3 Likes

Also:

Cordale (similar to [name_m]Cordell[/name_m])
[name_m]Leonidas[/name_m] (my dad apparently knows a guy named this)

1 Like

Probably [name_m]Stone[/name_m], [name_u]Bliss[/name_u] and [name_f]Star[/name_f]. I actually think [name_u]Bliss[/name_u] is super cute though! Lilaca is pretty!

1 Like

Hmm… probably [name_m]Lancelot[/name_m] (boy) and Avocet (girl).

1 Like

Just remembered that I know a Herodotus! Like the ancient Greek historian. I think it’s super cool, but definitely not a common choice.

4 Likes

Heard a guy call out for his kids at the local zoo. The kids were called Pup [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] (girl) and [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]Berry[/name_u] (boy). [name_f]My[/name_f] nephew also befriended these triplet boys at the aquarium named [name_u]Essex[/name_u], Yorkshire & [name_m]Foster[/name_m]. I also went to school with a boy named [name_u]Ocean[/name_u] Wave.

1 Like

Not necessarily unheard of, but

I once met a little six year old girl named [name_u]Kai[/name_u]
I met a girl named [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] who went by [name_u]Abby[/name_u] (ElizABeth)
I have a vague memory of a girl named [name_f]Princess[/name_f] from when I was really little

1 Like