What are your main characters called, in any novel or other story you are writing?

in my current WIP, a speculative fiction, i only have a few character names…i actually have a thread asking for help with naming more characters. currently the names i have are
[name_f]Lux[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]
[name_f]Nova[/name_f]
[name_f]Greer[/name_f]
[name_f]Indie[/name_f]
[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]
[name_u]Nico[/name_u]

all cards on the table, i’ve never finished a writing project. as such, i have multiple WIPs. :stuck_out_tongue:

some of my favourite names i’ve used in other works are
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_u]Hero[/name_u]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_u]Ivory[/name_u]
[name_u]Finch[/name_u]
[name_u]Falcon[/name_u]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_f]Leda[/name_f]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_f]Thomasin[/name_f]

The story arranged in the US:

[name_u]Lindsay[/name_u], [name_f]Jenna[/name_f] and [name_m]Mikhail[/name_m] “[name_m]Mike[/name_m]”. It’s a trashy secondary school story where [name_u]Lindsay[/name_u] creates telecommunication, yet the main thing that truly changes is that it ruins every one of her connections.
Cheap Assignment Writing reviews

screenwriting/storyboarding a surreal dark comedy ala always sunny and the mighty boosh.

[name_f]Mitzi[/name_f] “Mouse” [name_f]Annette[/name_f] Vonne, an optimistic but antisocial basement dwelling hippie sculptor

[name_m]Tripp[/name_m] [name_m]Mordecai[/name_m] [name_m]Wheeler[/name_m], cigar smoking native american painter who is Mouse’s godfather

[name_m]Kiefer[/name_m] [name_m]Gregory[/name_m] [name_m]Gottlieb[/name_m], an absolutely sociopathic bigot who works with toxic waste and kidnaps women

[name_m]Hendrik[/name_m] [name_m]Flemming[/name_m] [name_u]Van[/name_u] der Meer, a bisexual introverted electrician

Hatsu Yuno Kurosawa, peppy japanese seamstress who is [name_m]Kiefer[/name_m]'s captive and develops Stockholm syndrome

[name_u]Nico[/name_u] [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] Barsotti- italian-american car dealership worker, who is the only sane man

yeah kind of messed up, but that’s the point really.

2 Likes

The main character is [name_u]Jem[/name_u]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_u]Jem[/name_u]. Last name undecided. She writes to her dead twin sister [name_f]Pippa[/name_f].

In the story I’m writing at the moment my main characters are called: Cariad, [name_m]Will[/name_m], [name_m]Perseus[/name_m] and [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m].

1 Like

Names for futuristic story (like in Awaken by [name_f]Katie[/name_f] Kacvinsky):
MC: [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (f-[name_f]Evie[/name_f])
MC#2: [name_u]Piper[/name_u] (f)
MC#3: [name_m]Terrence[/name_m] (m-Terr)
Other characters:
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] (f) - helper to MCs
[name_m]Mac[/name_m] (m) - helper OR enemy of MCs (not sure yet)
[name_m]Zane[/name_m] (m) - helper OR enemy of MCs (not sure either)
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] (m) - helper/now possessed enemy of MCs

I’m currently writing a short love story for my creative writing II class. My heroin’s name is [name_f]Francine[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]. She is a poetic beauty from Sancerre, which overlooks the gorgeous [name_f]Loire[/name_f] [name_f]Valley[/name_f] in the hills of [name_f]France[/name_f]. Growing up in the serene gardens of the [name_u]Maison[/name_u] des Sancerre, [name_f]Francine[/name_f] challenges many young men’s emotions with her loving heart, artistic essence, and confident attitude. However, her most persistent suitor, [name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], a dashing, high-spirited harvester, is the only one who captures her attention and, just maybe her heart.

1 Like

In one story, the main and supporting characters are [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] + [name_f]Esme[/name_f] (siblings), [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] + [name_f]Juliette/name_f, [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_m]Aaron[/name_m], and [name_f]Olympia[/name_f].

In another story, the main and supporting characters that are named are [name_f]Arella[/name_f] + [name_m]Jasper/name_m, [name_f]Petra[/name_f], and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f].

In my primary novel, my characters are [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], Leyah, [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f], [name_m]Liam[/name_m] and [name_u]Allie[/name_u]. Names from some of my other works in progress are [name_f]Astra[/name_f], [name_m]Kensington[/name_m], [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f], [name_f]Ayla[/name_f], [name_f]Hallie[/name_f], [name_f]Reyna[/name_f], [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_f]Comet[/name_f], and [name_u]Lex[/name_u].

[name_u]Nevada[/name_u] (f.)
Onas (m.)
Marthis (m.)
[name_f]Ofelia[/name_f]
Airi (f.)
Felixer (m.)

I have
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] Snape - fem![name_m]Severus[/name_m]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_m]Black[/name_m]
[name_m]Severus[/name_m] Arcturus Malfoy - for an alternative second gen ff
[name_f]Rina[/name_f] - fem!Zuko

I have sisters:
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Heather[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaitlynn[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Skylar[/name_u] [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]

Last name still pending…

[name_f]Sydney Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Samantha Vera[/name_f] Castor [sisters]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] Leonidovna Vitayeva
[name_m]Vasily[/name_m] Polzin
[name_f]Natalya (Nasha)[/name_f] Alexeeva Milena
[name_m]Callias Damarian[/name_m] and [name_f]Cassandra Niamh[/name_f] Adalard [siblings]
[name_f]Analia[/name_f] Marella
[name_f]Kirame Alexandra Aline[/name_f] Orellan
[name_m]Markus[/name_m] Castillon
[name_m]Devlin[/name_m] Isome

I’m not a writer or anything, I just popped in to say everyone has such cool names and story ideas! I like when there is a little personality description of the characters, it’s really fun to see other people’s ideas of what kind of person would have what kind of name.

2 Likes

OOOOOOOOKAY, I have a ton of characters.

For my hometown story:

Minetta Adele “Minnie” Brightman: a Southern girl struggling with her abusive father and protecting her little brother, Ian; Dance’s girlfriend, Ian’s sister, Lane’s best friend, Lea’s best friend
Amelia Gabrielle “Mia” Hart (chosen Navajo name: Haseya, meaning “she rises”; born name: Asdza, meaning “woman”): attempting to overcome trauma and PTSD due to her ex-boyfriend raping and attempting to murder her; Lane’s girlfriend
Lane Binyamin Seidmann (Binyamin Ziv ben Yeshua v’Shira): a Jewish boy who overachieves & manages to learn and branch out within his faith; Minnie’s best friend, Lea’s best friend, Mia’s boyfriend
Ian Joseph Brightman: a shy dude who kind of hates the spotlight and his dad; Minnie’s brother
Lawan Tasanee Pakpao “Lea” Kasemsam: a half-Thai diabetic girl who works in her mom’s restaurant and worries about everyone; Viv’s girlfriend, Minnie’s best friend, Lane’s best friend
Vivienne Anastasiya Peterevna “Viv” Ovechkin; a fat, poor Russian immigrant who has severe mental illness and is super bitter about a lot of things; Lea’s girlfriend
Dylan Caleb “Dance” Hofstetler: a trans guy and a dancer who lives with his best friend so he can keep receiving hormones. his dad is dead and he misses him a lot. loves filmmaking; Nova’s best friend, Minnie’s boyfriend
Nova Helene Faraday (born Anna-Claudia Helene Jeppeson): an Danish-American girl, adopted daughter of a retired aromantic asexual filmmaker. full of creativity. likes to decorate houses and design clothes; Geni’s girlfriend, Dance’s best friend
Genevieve Apollonia Elizabetta “Geni” Gianakos: she’s Greek-Italian-American, fluent in three languages, very gay, and very insecure. struggles with severe bipolar disorder; Nova’s girlfriend
Jemima Soleil “Jem” Kissinger: a Black nonbinary person who really likes to design stuff and misses their parents a lot because they’re an orphan. lives with their aunt and their little cousin.

For my supernatural story:

Melisande Claribel Powell: an American witch
Qarinah Hibaaq Abdullahi “Ree” Yuusef: a Somali-American vampire
Ursula Solana “Sully” Ruiz Torres: a Cuban-American demon
Desdemona Mabli “Des” / “Mona” Carter: a Welsh-American witch

A fanfiction from probably 2014/2015?:
[i]
Paloma Jane Dorothy “PJ” Hemmings
Evangeline Aziza Elisabeth “Evie” Hemmings
Beckett Donnelly James “Kit” Hemmings

Ingrid Leona Genevieve “Inge” Clifford
Raphael Phoenix Orion “Rafi” Clifford

Silvia Joy Hood
Skylar Matthew “Sky” Hood

Madrigal Eloise “Maddie” Irwin
Thalia Annemarie Irwin
Ashton Fletcher “Fletch” Irwin, Jr.
James Thomas “JT” Irwin[/i]

2 Likes

I’m writing a science-fiction story set in the distant future about a new disorder which causes the afflicted to grow bat-like wings capable of flight. At its first discovery, doctors and scientists praised this new human evolution, but it was soon realized that there were numerous health defects that accompanied it, and few of the children reached the age of 15. Over time, medicine continued to advance to the point that those with the disorder could live into their mid-twenties, but that is not good enough for 18-year-old [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_m]Stone[/name_m], who’s family is personally affected by this disorder. Both her older brother, [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m], and her twin, [name_m]Xanthos[/name_m] “[name_m]Xan[/name_m]” are afflicted. As [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] watches [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] suffer, she works with a team of young scientists to find a cure in time to save him and [name_m]Xanthos[/name_m] before it’s too late.

My book is set in a set dystopia/utopia universe and the names are set to reflect. The [name_m]Malus[/name_m] (Dystopian) born characters have more unusual names, where as the [name_m]Albus[/name_m] (utopia) born characters have much more traditional names. :slight_smile: They include.

Mains-

[name_u]Skye[/name_u]. nn. [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] (m)
Sameul (m)
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] (f)
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] nn. [name_m]Gabe[/name_m] and [name_m]Cassiel[/name_m] nn. [name_u]Cass[/name_u] (mm twins)
[name_f]Maybelle[/name_f]. (f)
[name_m]Yu[/name_m] Lan. (f)
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]. nn. [name_u]Alex/name_u
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] (m)
[name_u]Jae[/name_u] (m)
[name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] (m)
[name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u], of Lust. (m)
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] (m)
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] (m)

Secondary-
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f] nn. [name_f]Mintie[/name_f]. (f)
[name_f]Trix[/name_f]. (m)
[name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_m]Thorne[/name_m], of Lust. (f)
[name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Valentia[/name_f], of Wrath
Fen Ju
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
Li Ling
[name_f]Hera[/name_f] and [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] (ff twins)

It’s great to read the responses to this thread, which I started up, so thank you to everyone who has shared on here. As I mentioned before, my protagonist is called [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] Ryman. I didn’t give a long list of character names before, as I wasn’t sure whether anyone would reply - but I think I should probably give a few more character names now…! My story is set in the 1980s, and I have used mainly classic, and some “dated”, names - which tend to be ones that I like, anyway. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is the second youngest of five, and her siblings (oldest to youngest) are [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]/[name_m]Matt[/name_m], [name_u]Danny[/name_u] ([name_m]Daniel[/name_m], but full name rarely used), [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/Cath and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. The mother is [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and the father [name_m]David[/name_m], but the parents are divorced, and [name_m]David[/name_m] doesn’t (as it stands) physically appear in the story. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]'s love interests throughout the story are [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Kev[/name_m] ([name_m]Kevin[/name_m]) and [name_u]Phil[/name_u] ([name_m]Philip[/name_m]). Other characters include [name_f]Deborah[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_u]Toby[/name_u], [name_f]Donna[/name_f], [name_m]Mark[/name_m], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Cynthia[/name_f], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], [name_u]Clare[/name_u], [name_f]Bonita[/name_f]/[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f], twins [name_f]Jade[/name_f] and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_f]Edwina[/name_f], [name_m]Alan[/name_m], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_f]Erica[/name_f], [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_u]Stanley[/name_u], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], [name_f]Tina[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Tara[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_u]Tracy[/name_u], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], Farooq, [name_f]Kirsty[/name_f], [name_m]Jake[/name_m] and [name_m]John[/name_m]. There are quite a few others, and it becomes difficult to explain exactly who everyone is, as some have multiple roles. Some of these characters are children for some or part of the story. Anyway, I know who’s who - but it would get involved if I tried to explain, and very confusing - but anyway, that’s some of the names I’ve used. I have added some minor characters with other names I love, like [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], [name_f]Claudia[/name_f], [name_f]Amabel[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], but these characters don’t have large roles at all. They would come into play if I ever wrote a sequel…!

1 Like

I have so many stories going it’s crazy but I’ll list a few!

1. Female: [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] [name_m]Mayhew[/name_m] who later has to go by [name_f]Kristen[/name_f] [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]; Male: [name_u]Emery[/name_u] [name_m]Blackwell[/name_m] who previously was [name_m]Kyron[/name_m]
  2. F: [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] “Vee” Merin; M: [name_m]Adam[/name_m] [name_u]Paxton[/name_u] “[name_u]Pax[/name_u]” (yes, they’re purposely named [name_m]Adam[/name_m] and [name_f]Eve[/name_f])
  3. F: [name_u]Calypso[/name_u] “[name_f]Callie[/name_f]” [name_m]Benson[/name_m]
  4. F: [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] [name_f]Astoria[/name_f]; Male(s): [name_m]Kiran[/name_m] [name_u]Mars[/name_u], [name_u]Larkin[/name_u] [name_m]Nole[/name_m], [name_u]Brighton[/name_u] Callers (kell-ers), [name_m]Tye[/name_m] [name_m]Granger[/name_m], [name_m]Dom[/name_m] –
  5. F: [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_f]Angeles[/name_f]; M: [name_u]Carson[/name_u] [name_m]Reynolds[/name_m]

Twelve-year-old [name_u]Theo[/name_u] ([name_m]Theodore[/name_m]) goes to stay with his elderly aunt [name_u]Jan[/name_u] in her sleepy coastal town when his dad [name_m]Ed[/name_m] gets the opportunity to work for a year abroad. Left to his own devices during the summer holidays, [name_u]Theo[/name_u] discovers the mysterious Mrs [name_f]Lark[/name_f] and her travelling apothecary. It doesn’t take much encouragement for him to take on an apprenticeship, and over the course of those few short months [name_u]Theo[/name_u] learns about family, magic, and the truth about his disappeared mother.

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] “[name_m]Ed[/name_m]” [name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_f]Tara[/name_f] [name_u]West[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] “[name_u]Theo[/name_u]” [name_m]Martin[/name_m]

[name_u]January[/name_u] “[name_u]Jan[/name_u]”

Mrs [name_f]Lark[/name_f]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_f]Lark[/name_f]
[name_f]February[/name_f]