What are your thoughts on the name Iris?

[name]Love[/name] it? Hate it? Indifferent? Please tell me what country you live in, since I’m curious what people from different places think of the name.

We are considering [name]Iris[/name] as a first name. It’s been growing on me. I love the meaning of [name]Iris[/name] as the Greek goddess of rainbows better than the flower or eye anatomy meaning. I love the goddess of rainbows thing so much that I’m afraid that it’s clouding my judgment- like- maybe the name [name]Iris[/name] itself doesn’t sound so pretty, but I think it’s pretty because of the meaning.

I went on Yahoo Answers the other day to see what non- nameberry people thought about the name [name]Iris[/name], and got responses like “it reminds me of an old person” or “iris is a part of the eye, not a good name for a girl”.

So, what do you think? Would you be happy with your name if it was [name]Iris[/name]? What middle name would you pair with it?

I actually love the name [name]Iris[/name]. [name]Flower[/name] names are very in style right now, so I think most non-name nerds will be receptive to it. Any if people think [name]Iris[/name] sounds too old, they will be in for one big shock when start hearing [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Vivian[/name], and [name]Evelyn[/name] on a daily basis. I usually think of the flower, but the goddess makes a lovely story too. I think [name]Iris[/name] sounds great with your ln too. Maybe [name]Iris[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]? or [name]Iris[/name] [name]Athena[/name]? I just realized something too, [name]Iris[/name] sounds similar to [name]Alice[/name] (mainly just the endings).

I actually love the name [name]Iris[/name]. [name]Flower[/name] names are very in style right now, so I think most non-name nerds will be receptive to it. Any if people think [name]Iris[/name] sounds too old, they will be in for one big shock when start hearing [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Vivian[/name], and [name]Evelyn[/name] on a daily basis. I usually think of the flower, but the goddess makes a lovely story too. I think [name]Iris[/name] sounds great with your ln too. Maybe [name]Iris[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]? or [name]Iris[/name] [name]Athena[/name]? I just realized something too, [name]Iris[/name] sounds similar to [name]Alice[/name] (mainly just the endings).
Thanks leah for the opinion. I was actually surprised by the responses I got on yahoo answers. I grew up in NY, but we now live in the middle of [name]Missouri[/name] in a town filled with little Makenzies and Neveahs. I just don’t want my daughter to feel completely out of place, and I don’t want her to get made fun of for her name. At the same time, I want her to like her name.

You’re right. [name]Iris[/name] does sound like [name]Alice[/name]. For some reason, [name]Alice[/name] seems a little sweeter to me.

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Athena[/name] may be too many goddesses in one name, though it does seem to flow. I do like [name]Iris[/name] [name]Amelia[/name], but am starting to feel that [name]Amelia[/name] is a little bit too safe and maybe a little boring.

woops leah! I somehow left your post in my post, and can’t edit!

Which name do you like better- [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Iris[/name]?

I love love love the name [name]Iris[/name]. But I am biased. My 8 month old daughter is named [name]Iris[/name].

We named her [name]Iris[/name] because it means rainbow. And we got pregnant with her and her twin brother after the loss of our first daughter [name]Lily[/name]. So she is our rainbow baby after the loss of our daughter.

Her middle name is [name]Lucia[/name]. But we considered [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sofia[/name].

pixielily-

I love your daughter’s middle name! [name]Lucia[/name] is a beautiful name, and [name]Iris[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] is just perfect! I wanted to name our daughter [name]Lucia[/name], but it’s already my boyfriend’s sister’s name, and I can’t steal it.

I loooove [name]Iris[/name]! It’s one of my favourite flower names, if not the favourite! I definitely prefer [name]Iris[/name], since I find [name]Violet[/name] a little harsh. And I have a soft spot for mythological goddesses, too :wink: I’m from [name]Sweden[/name] ( you wanted to now that, right?), and I think [name]Iris[/name] is ready for a revival here as well. It’s very pretty :slight_smile:

It’s my middle name. :slight_smile: I like it a lot, even if it is a bit matchy with my first name. I love the meaning and association with [name]Iris[/name], the messenger goddess. I’m in the US, and in my area, I know of a few Irises ranging in age from 16 to 3. I think it’s lovely! Go for it!

It’s one of the many names I liked before I knew it was hip.

In [name]Canada[/name] (not that it really matters, as I don’t know anyone with the name, and I don’t know what reactions it would get in real life).

I’m reminded of this:

“[name]Esme[/name] feels too sexy, almost and [name]Iris[/name] too buttoned up and boring - sort of like opposite ends of a spectrum that [name]Nina[/name] gracefully sits in the middle of.”

I immediately felt sad when I read that at the idea that someone could find [name]Iris[/name] serious and boring.

I love [name]Iris[/name]!! [name]Hope[/name] you use it! (I’m in the USA - southern [name]California[/name].)

I prefer [name]Iris[/name] to [name]Violet[/name] too, but it seems that most non-name nerds prefer [name]Violet[/name]. At least that’s the impression I get from Yahoo Answers. Maybe I shouldn’t care about what people think.

irisrose- do you love your middle name or are you just ok with it? Is your name [name]Rose[/name] [name]Iris[/name]?

hmm…I didn’t know [name]Iris[/name] was “hip”, and had no idea that [name]Iris[/name] was “buttoned up and boring.” When I think of [name]Iris[/name], I think of someone mysterious and artistic.

[name]Do[/name] you prefer the name [name]Iris[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] or [name]Iris[/name] [name]Athena[/name]?

For some reason, the name [name]Athena[/name] has started to feel like a product name to me. I was googling [name]Athena[/name], and it turns out that [name]Athena[/name] is the name of a sex toy shop, a medical diagnostic company, and the computing lab at MIT.

I do love it. :slight_smile: I’d be happy if it were my first name, not my middle name-- not that I don’t like my first name, which is [name]Rosa[/name].

I prefer [name]Iris[/name] over [name]Violet[/name] but both are nice. [name]Violet[/name] is probably the safer choice out of the 2. If [name]Amelia[/name] is too safe and [name]Aria[/name] not well enough established maybe you need something middle of the road? Some that come to mind:
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Adela[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]

Any of those catching your eye?

[name]Amanda[/name],

I like [name]Iris[/name] a lot. It’s a vintage name, which is why, to some, it reminds them of “old people.” [name]Violet[/name] is also vintage but it’s been used more recently and in greater numbers as of late than [name]Iris[/name], so people see it as more youthful, especially when someone like [name]Violet[/name] Affleck can put a young face to a name, so to speak. If I were picking one, I’d choose [name]Iris[/name] because it is just that much more quirky and it feels a little softer. [name]Iris[/name] Marinaccio is really pretty!

As for [name]Iris[/name] being hip, I guess I could see that. It’s cutting-edge. It’s one of those flower names that hasn’t really taken off yet, like [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] have. It’s on-trend. Good time to use it, I think! As for it being boring, it does have a soft, mysterious quality to it, as you mentioned, and I think the comment about [name]Iris[/name] being boring or buttoned-up was relating to someone searching for a sister to [name]Nina[/name], which is comparably frilly and spunky. Alone, [name]Iris[/name] is not boring in my opinion, but next to [name]Nina[/name], I agreed that it felt mismatched. Anyway, that isn’t the point here!

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Athena[/name] is too much goddess in one name for me. [name]Iris[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] is better, I think, and it doesn’t feel too safe to me. Some other ideas I have are [name]Iris[/name] [name]Adele[/name] Marinaccio, [name]Iris[/name] [name]Delia[/name] Marinaccio, [name]Iris[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] Marinaccio, [name]Iris[/name] [name]Eva[/name] Marinaccio, [name]Iris[/name] [name]Fiona[/name] Marinaccio, [name]Iris[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] Marinaccio, [name]Iris[/name] [name]Lucienne[/name] Marinaccio, [name]Iris[/name] [name]Miranda[/name] Marinaccio, and [name]Iris[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] Marinaccio.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Is everyone else seeing a new strange board format here or is it just my computer?

leah-
here are some names that I like from your list:

[name]Ivy[/name]- I love [name]Ivy[/name], but think [name]Iris[/name] is a little more unusual
[name]Isla[/name]- like [name]Isla[/name], but it has the same feel as [name]Aria[/name] to me. [name]Aria[/name] feels a little less trendy to me though.
[name]Fiona[/name]- bf doesn’t like it
[name]Maia[/name]- love [name]Maia[/name], and am considering it. Misspelled [name]Mya[/name] is very popular where I live, which kind of turns me off of [name]Maia[/name].
[name]Eva[/name]- can’t use it bc it’s my mom’s name and a friend’s daughter’s name
[name]Lila[/name]- a little sick of lil names
[name]Celia[/name]- this one’s a favorite, but a close friend’s daughter is [name]Cecelia[/name], and so I can’t use it.
[name]Eliza[/name]- have a sister [name]Aliza[/name], and it’s just too close.
[name]Annabel[/name]- love [name]Annabel[/name], but feel it might be a little too cutesy. I’m thinking maybe [name]Iris[/name] [name]Annabel[/name].
[name]Nora[/name]- love [name]Nora[/name], bf hates it.

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Adele[/name]: [name]Adele[/name] is a name that I feel I should like, but for some reason am lukewarm on. It feels like it lacks character or something. Make sense? It is a pretty combo though. I like it better than [name]Iris[/name] [name]Delia[/name]. hmm…maybe [name]Adele[/name] can grow on me. The problem is that [name]Adele[/name] doesn’t brighten up [name]Iris[/name]. I want the middle name to give [name]Iris[/name] some spunk or youthfulness.
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Eva[/name]- can’t use- Mom’s [name]Eva[/name] (family only names after dead relatives).
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]- pretty, but I can’t get over the fact that Fea means ugly in Spanish.
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]- like it. It’s kind of like [name]Aria[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], which I still sort of like.
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Lucienne[/name]- can’t use it because bf’s sister is [name]Lucia[/name].
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]- [name]Miranda[/name] makes me think of ditzy girls hanging out at the mall for some reason.
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name]- I like the flow of it, but am not sure that a little girl would like her name if it was [name]Ophelia[/name].

So, from your suggestions, I like [name]Iris[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] best.

The one thing I don’t like about [name]Iris[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] is that [name]Scout[/name] can’t be the second middle name, since [name]Scout[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] both end in T. [name]Iris[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Scout[/name] doesn’t work…I’m not sure how attached to [name]Scout[/name] we are as a second middle name though. Before we found out if it was a boy or girl, we had been calling ‘it’ [name]Scout[/name]. Then, when we got the packages of pink clothing, I suddenly wanted to start calling her [name]Scout[/name] again, to combat the girly girlness (does that make sense?). We could call her [name]Iris[/name] [name]Julia[/name] [name]Scout[/name], but [name]Juliet[/name] seems so much prettier to me than [name]Julia[/name].

Anyway, the choices seem to be:
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Scout[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Scout[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Adele[/name] [name]Scout[/name] Marinaccio…hmm something sounds wrong here.
hmm.
What do you think of [name]Iris[/name] [name]Viola[/name] [name]Scout[/name] Marinaccio? Does [name]Viola[/name] really mean rape in Spanish and French :frowning: ?
For some reason, I was thinking about [name]Francesca[/name]. What are your thoughts on [name]Iris[/name] [name]Francesca[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] (I dropped [name]Scout[/name] for this one because it sounded too harsh to me)?

Thank you all!

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Francesca[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] sounds very beautiful…