What color of names do you like?

Green names are the best!

Your yellow/gold names are my favorite :blush:

1 Like

Sorry for the long post- just SO CURIOUS about all of this! It all seems very fascinating. I want to hear about how you percieve name color!!

-[name_f]Do[/name_f] you see the color in front of you, know the color immediately and always (someone says their name or you see it and you know) or take a moment to think and then know?
I usually take a moment to think when I see a name I haven’t seen before, but I know the colors of familiar names, and they don’t change. I think I see the colors subconsciously when I hear or see names, but need a moment to think about it to write it down or tell someone. I think of the color and don’t see it in front of me.
-[name_m]How[/name_m] do you think meaning, fictional characters, or people you know affect into that color? What about the name’s sound or shape?
I think existing imagery definitely factors in what colors I see- but not always? Not sure.
-Does it feel wrong when someone says a name is a different color? [name_m]Can[/name_m] they convince you to change?
I think it’s okay, and I can understand why someone might think a name is a different color, but I don’t see it that way.
-[name_f]Do[/name_f] your combos have a new color? Good color combinations?
I don’t think so, because I never used to think about color, but once these threads started popping up they were obvious. ([name_f]Emma[/name_f] was always lilac, but I never consciously thought “hey, [name_f]Emma[/name_f]'s lilac!” before this). Some of my new combos night take color into account though.
-Are there names that you don’t know the color of?
[name_f]My[/name_f] name and the names of people I know very well are confusing to me.
-People with other types of synesthesia- do you seem to have a different experience?

1 Like

@whatchamacallit really??? I find [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] to be a light blue, but I agree about [name_m]Jasper[/name_m].

As to [name_u]June[/name_u] being deep purple, it’s how I picture the month as well. I associate month names with colors, too, and so I picture [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], and [name_u]August[/name_u] the way I picture the months. The name [name_f]April[/name_f] is a little bit lighter than I picture the month [name_f]April[/name_f], though.

Now I’m going to try to list the color vibes of my combos in my user card:
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] Wildrose- [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] itself I don’t find to be very colorful, maybe just an innocuous blue, but Wildrose is a really nice fuchsia, like hex B11E6E, and paired next to Wildrose, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] looks really indigo-y, like 15187E. The colors don’t combine into purple, I just see both in my mind’s eye
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]- [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is like EA5174, and [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] is a tawny brown, like the bird, but in this case they do combine to make a color that I just can’t describe.
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_u]Larkspur[/name_u]- [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] is totally a pale purple, like a89cc4, and larkspur is light blue, like A0BFD3. together, they make A6A0D3.
[name_f]Calluna[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]- [name_f]Calluna[/name_f] is also a pale purple, like [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], and [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] is deep indigo. Together, they make 7269B3.
[name_f]Calluna[/name_f] [name_m]Basil[/name_m]- [name_m]Basil[/name_m] is an earthy green, obviously, and [name_f]Calluna[/name_f] is the same as above.
[name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] [name_f]Fern[/name_f]- both of these names are green, with [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] dark and [name_f]Fern[/name_f] light and springy!
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]- [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] is a sort of innocuous purpley color (think: If denim was purple), and marigold is obviously bright yellow. Together, they actually look really pretty!
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] Rosewood- [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] reminds me of the stars, so a velvety dark with pinpricks of brightness. Rosewood is a soft pink-brown, and they’re really complementary.
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]- [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is totally pink, and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is what I described above. Together, they’re more of a silvery.
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_u]Lark[/name_u]- [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] has always been purple to me, but now I’m not so sure. [name_u]Lark[/name_u] is a light, free blue.
[name_f]Aurelie[/name_f] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]- [name_f]Aurelie[/name_f] depends on the pronunciation, but usually it’s like a pale soft yellow or a pale soft blue, and moon is iridescent white.
[name_f]Aveline[/name_f] [name_f]Wildflower[/name_f]- [name_f]Aveline[/name_f] is bright yellow, and [name_f]Wildflower[/name_f] is also pretty much yellow.

I will post my boy’s names later, this has taken me forever!!!

3 Likes

Hmm I see [name_u]June[/name_u] as an auburn gold color!

and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is basically uncolored, just a knight in a field :grin:

@EJpuddlejumper That’s so funny, because I would choose completely different colors for those two! [name_u]June[/name_u] has always been a light purple for me, and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is very much dark auburn/dark red!

2 Likes

I think I’m getting better at assigning colors, so I’ll do my list:

[name_f]Rose[/name_f]: blush pink and red
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]: pastel purple or pink
[name_u]June[/name_u]: light purple
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]: golden yellow
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]: forest green
[name_f]Anya[/name_f]: dark red
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]: light blue
[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]: sunny yellow
[name_u]Marie[/name_u]: light pink and dark green

[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]: forest green
[name_u]August[/name_u]: auburn
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]: light greens and blues
[name_m]Judah[/name_m]: dark green
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]: light blue
[name_m]Ethan[/name_m]: dark blue
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]: light blue and dark green
[name_m]William[/name_m]: dark red

1 Like

These are really interesting questions! I think when I hear a name in a conversation or am thinking of a certain persons name, it subconsciously appears in my head spelled out and in the color that comes to it. Like [name_f]Esther[/name_f] pops up in my head as “[name_f]Esther[/name_f]” in green letters.

If it’s a word name like [name_f]Fern[/name_f] or [name_u]June[/name_u], the colors I think of have to do with the meaning. Like [name_u]June[/name_u] is almost the color of the sun, orange/yellow and crystal-like. [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is plant green. Other names like my moms name, [name_f]Annalee[/name_f], I see red because most A names are red to me, just like most E names are green, like [name_f]Evalina[/name_f], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], and [name_f]Esther[/name_f]. Names with L and N sounds especially are more translucent than say ones with heavy R or T sounds. ([name_u]June[/name_u] is more translucent while [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] is very opaque).

It feels so wrong when someone associates a different color with a name, it’s crazy! But it also makes me realize that most people don’t associate colors with names. It makes me wonder what colors my future kids’ names will have according to others, or will others not see color in their names?

I like what you say about not realizing you think about the colors. I didn’t realize for such a long time. I think the reason I like or dislike some combos is because of the colors (too blue, too dark, too translucent (not ‘sturdy’ enough), etc. Most of my girl’s names are somewhat balanced between opaque and translucent and light and dark. I feel like I make my boys combos more according to names and sounds I like.

My names is either red or green ( I think it depends) and my middle name is yellow. It’s really interesting because in real life I don’t like red very much so with names I also don’t like red names. But my favorite names are usually green and I can’t explain why.

1 Like

I too wish I had synesthesia - the idea of being able to give my favourite names colours may actually help me narrow my list down a pinch! This is such a cool concept to me though!

1 Like

Oh my gosh, that’s really interesting! Name nerds commonly have synesthesia? [name_f]My[/name_f] dh was a philosophy grad student, & did a whole study on this. I think that there are different levels. I absolutely see colors associated w/words, numbers, letters & of course, names. It’s not everything…some are way more vivid than others. I’ve been a name obsessor since I was in middle school though.

Anyway, I’ll just tell you what colors I see with my top favorite names. Here we go-

Girls-

Guinevere-she’s most definitely a yellowish gold.

Amelia nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f]-[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is undoubtably red, but I think that [name_f]Mia[/name_f] is regular blue.

Fiona-purple

Daisy-pale yellow. Different from [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f].

Eleanor nn [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]- [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is yellow but [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] green!

Clementine-pale blue

Gerty-yellow

Nuala-green

Beatrix-Whoa, I actually don’t have a stand out color here. I think it’s blue.

Stella-silver!

Ruth/Ruthie-dark purple

Olive nn [name_f]Livy[/name_f]-black, which is weird. [name_f]Livy[/name_f] is kind of a sky blue though.

Boys-

Artemis nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u]-red for both

Colm-dark blue

Julian-red. I kind of like the nn [name_u]Jude[/name_u] too though, & he’s more maroon.

Ewan-yellow

Nolan-green

Samuel-This one doesn’t stand out, but I think green. Maybe blue.

Shiloh-yellow

Charlie-yellow

Finn-blue

Max-blue

That was fun. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you see the same color for these names?

1 Like

I also have this! I love names of all colors but probably lean towards yellow the most. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] are yellow for me. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] are like pink icing. [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Frances[/name_f] are sage green.

1 Like

Guinevere- dark yellow
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]- red but sometimes green
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]-almost royal blue
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]- yellow
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]- green
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]- green
[name_f]Gerty[/name_f]- brown
[name_f]Nuala[/name_f]- purple
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]- green
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]- reddish purple
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]/Ruthie- red, a little brown
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]- green

Artemis- red
[name_m]Colm[/name_m]- light blue
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]- dark yellow, also some bright red and green
[name_m]Ewan[/name_m]- green
[name_m]Nolan[/name_m]- blue
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]- red and blue
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]- green
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]- blue
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]-blue and green
[name_u]Max[/name_u]- blue and red

1 Like

Winifred is also yellow to me! I’m trying to figure out if [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] is too.

2 Likes

I tend to like a like of names that are greens and blues, maybe a touch of pink or yellow here and there, with some grays in my boys list. A lot of my guilty pleasure names tend to be purple. (It’s funny how all of this makes so much sense in my head!)

My favorite names tend to look like this to me:
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] - pastel pinks
[name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Heida[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] - greens and blues
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] - sunny yellow

Theodore, [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] - greens and blues (mostly green)
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] - grays
[name_u]Luca[/name_u] - red

2 Likes

That’s awesome that you get numbers and words too! I think for me it’s mostly limited to names and some specific words. It’s so weird how I’ve been noticing that some names I’ve always overlooked or not liked are so colorful! I had a hard time yesterday realizing that I hadn’t ever seen [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] written in orange! Sometimes it’s obvious, and sometimes I have to think about all of the colors slowly to see what feels right.

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Thea[/name_f]
It reminds me of pastel yellow or maybe pastel green.

2 Likes

Remi is sort of a light purple.
[name_f]Kendra[/name_f] is a bright pink.
[name_u]Reese[/name_u] is a light blue.
[name_f]Sofie[/name_f] is a light pink.
[name_u]Kelly[/name_u] is an emerald green.
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is a baby blue.
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is a coral.
[name_f]Aislynn[/name_f] is a lime green.

Sabrina is a starry midnight blue

Xanthe is bright yellow-orange

Aerilyn is a bright red-pink underlaid with golden yellow

Seraphina is a flaming sapphire blue

Ramona is a beautiful burgundy red

Minette is a peachy melon red/coral

Sasha for either gender is a beautiful powder blue

Gabriel is gold and green somehow combined into hazel but still seperate

Novel is auburn

Willoughby is gray-blue

Delphine is a rainbow of periwinkle, violet, indigo, green, and white

Rose is a dusty pink

Hero is bright cromson, orange, deep green-gold, and navy; depending on the combo it’s in

it seems that many girl names starting with M(and the letter itself) in my mind are corally melon red/pink…and many S names are dark blue or indigo.

W names are almost always some shade of dusty blue for boys

2 Likes

Hi! I wish I had this talent! I’m curious to know what colours you see for myself, [name_f]Melissa[/name_f], my hubby [name_u]Corin[/name_u], and our boys [name_u]Kai[/name_u] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m]?

1 Like

Hey @Honeybeefromthehills!

I’m Going strictly on the names without knowing your personality. (This is just what I imagine, I mean no offense :slight_smile:)

[name_f]Melissa[/name_f] is a deep purple, the same color as a kings royal mantle. She’s reliable and powerful.

[name_u]Corin[/name_u] is orange, pink, and yellow like the sunrise. He’s the color of daffodils and sunflowers in a meadow and the color of the pink quartz worry stone you carry in your pockets. He’s bright and happy and sturdy and strong, someone to lean on.

[name_u]Kai[/name_u] is all kinds of blue. He’s the deep navy, almost black like the abyss and the color of the sky midday. He’s the blueish white foam on the waves and the cerulean of the calm cove. [name_u]Kai[/name_u] to me is a warrior. He’s so incredibly strong and beautiful. He’s the oasis in a desert.

[name_m]Leo[/name_m] is shades of brown, orange, and darker yellow all swirling into one. He’s the color of the grasslands and the sunset. He’s brave and strong, and stands for what he believes in.

2 Likes