What is the male equivalent of Elisabeth?

Something utterly classic, a bit softer than the traditional spelling ([name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]), but also with a bit of international flair ([name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] is the [name_m]French[/name_m] and [name_m]German[/name_m] form of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]).

I’ve been trying to find a combo for months for [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] “[name_m]Beau[/name_m]”, and I don’t want something BORING, but anything traditional and completely classic seems a bit boring. I want something pretty normal, because [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] is pretty out there, but not bore-you-to-death boring. I’ve tossed around [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], etc., in the past, but I feel like they’re all not quite right. I feel like I need something softer, to combat that harsh “Z” ending, but also something pretty mainstream, to balance out [name_m]Boaz[/name_m]‘s quirky unusualness. I’m always seem to opt for [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] on my girls’ list for those combos that nothing ever seems right with, and they seem perfect. What would [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]'s male alternative be?

(Note: I’m not looking for a male sound-alike version of [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something that shares a lot of the same characteristics.)

Also, since [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] is so obviously Hebrew/Biblical, I’m hoping to avoid another Biblical middle, although I have seriously tossed around [name_u]Noah[/name_u] and [name_m]Peter[/name_m] as second middles…

Thanks, ladies!

[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Olivier[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Andreas[/name_m]

i love [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] and could see it paired with
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Marshall[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m]

avoid anything starting with J to prevent those dreaded initials

Well, I guess that leaves out [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Eli[/name_m], which popped into my head after reading your post. Others I can think of:
Maybe [name_u]Elias[/name_u]?
I’m thinking [name_m]Davis[/name_m].
I like [name_u]Milan[/name_u] in the middle spot there.
[name_u]Michael[/name_u]–don’t know if that’s too Hebrew for what you’re looking for, but it does sound nice.
I don’t know why, but I’m thinking [name_m]Rhodri[/name_m]?
[name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m].
[name_m]Horatio[/name_m].
[name_u]Whitney[/name_u].
[name_m]Wiley[/name_m]/[name_u]Wylie[/name_u].
[name_m]Wystan[/name_m].
Maybe [name_m]Winston[/name_m]?

Anyway, good luck!

When I think of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] I think of these points:

1. Traditional.
  2. Translates into lots of languages.
  3. A shed load of nicknames.

The boy name equivalent that springs to mind is [name_m]William[/name_m] as it fulfils all three categories. Perhaps [name_m]Willem[/name_m]?

[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Hendrik[/name_m] - [name_m]Hendrik[/name_m] is less popular than [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] but to me it’s got a similar yet masculine feel. It’s a little harder than [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] but it’s similarity to [name_m]Henry[/name_m] gives it a nice softness. It’s got a nice international fair to it without being unrecognizable or “weird”.

[name_m]Anton[/name_m]/[name_m]Anthony[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_m]Lloyd[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]/[name_m]Heathcliff[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] came to mind immediately.

The only one I could think of was [name_m]Eli[/name_m]. I know it isn’t related, though.

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] ^^ is a nice idea.

If you go back to the [name_m]New[/name_m] Testament, where [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] originated (I believe), her husband’s name was [name_m]Zechariah[/name_m]. [name_m]Zechariah[/name_m] is extremely strong and stylish, much more so than [name_m]Zachary[/name_m].

If I were you, I would consider [name_m]Zechariah[/name_m]. Like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], it has four syllables and a Z – and a shared Biblical history.

I love [name_m]Boaz[/name_m]! It’s such a rich name, with a lovely biblical story. I wanted to use the name and have him go by nick name of [name_m]Bo[/name_m]. Unfortunately, my hubs vetoed it because he was sure he would be teased as “[name_m]Bo[/name_m] Ass.” So ridiculous! I could not dissuade him and so we moved on. I’m glad to see that someone else might use it. I have yet to know any [name_m]Boaz[/name_m]'s and think it’s unusual but not weird. Wonderful choice!

Some middle possibilities…

• [name_m]Willem[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Damian[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Julian[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Henri[/name_m] or [name_m]Henrik[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Judah[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Marcus[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Stephen[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Quentin[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Jefferson[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Crispin[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Tobin[/name_m] or [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Alastair[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Forrest[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] or [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] (I’m biased!)
  • [name_m]Matthias[/name_m]

[name_m]William[/name_m] was my first thought too.

[name_m]Eli[/name_m], [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and [name_u]Elias[/name_u] are the most similar sounding in terms of [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], but as Renrose said, you are looking for certain categories. I love [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Willem[/name_m], but my personal suggestions, despite not sharing many things in common with [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], would be [name_m]Ptolemy[/name_m], [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], [name_m]Mordecai[/name_m] and [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m].

The male equivalent of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]… Hmm.

[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_m]David[/name_m]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_m]Richard[/name_m]
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m]
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m]

Here’s a list of popular names in Elizabethan [name_f]England[/name_f]: Most Popular Elizabethan Names: A study of 23 Norfolk parishes - British Baby Names

I would argue that any boy’s name on this list that is still popular today is the male equivalent of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

Made me think of [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] which is kind of like a softer [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. Also [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Caspar[/name_m]. [name_m]Malachy[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Malachi[/name_m].

Thank you! [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] doesn’t always get the best response, but when someone likes it, they really seem to love it! I usually get “IT’S THE BEST NAME [name_u]EVER[/name_u]!” or “I would positively swoon if I ever met an adorable little [name_m]Boaz[/name_m]!” OR “Are you crazy?!” or “Please don’t name your son that!” and usually nothing in between, hahaha. I usually wouldn’t be so bold in my name tastes, but my grandmother was [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], and I think the tie is so cute! Plus, I love [name_m]Beau[/name_m]/[name_m]Bo[/name_m]. So in her honor, I could be that brave. If it were any other reason, I don’t think I’d go for it. It’s honestly so out-of-place on my list, but I still adore it. I always have loved the story of [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] and [name_m]Boaz[/name_m], though!

Thanks, ladies! I’ve tossed around a few more options:

[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] (really like this, but I absolutely refuse to do the 2-2-2 syllable count, since my surname is also two syllables. I think it sounds absolutely terrible. Maybe [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u], or [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] _____? I could easily get into [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_u]Noah[/name_u], too, which is unfortunate, because it has the same syllable count…)
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] ____
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] ____/[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] _____ [name_m]William[/name_m]

I’m really loving the idea of [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] _____ [name_m]Henry[/name_m], though! I feel like [name_m]Henry[/name_m] might be my male equivalent of [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. I try to shove it all over my list as a mn, anyway! :slight_smile: I’m the same with [name_u]Elias[/name_u] or [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], though.

If you had to fill in the blank for [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] _____ [name_m]Henry[/name_m], what would you suggest? I’m also loving [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]…

Thanks, ladies!

I was going to suggest [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] (no surprises there, I’m selling it to anyone who will listen), but I see you got there already - [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is so handsome and dreamy, but it is a little traditional and it sounds like you want something with a little flair. What about:

[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] (bother, just checked your other boy names and you got there first (as a first) again, but it’s nice so I’ll keep it on as inspiration)
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] any of these tick the box?

No fair! You can’t get away with dangling something as epic and handsome as Boaz Daniel Henry in my face and then walk away! (btw, I totally need something easier to call you than @ciottolo - I can never remember how to spell it! haha!) le sigh. With my surname, I just won’t do three 2-syllable names in a row, but I absolutely adore Boaz Daniel Henry. It helps that Daniel Henry has been one of my favorite combos of all time. :frowning: I also like Boaz Samuel Henry, Boaz Joshua Henry, and Boaz Elijah Henry, but I’m trying to stay away from Biblical names with the super-religious/Hebrew Boaz. I had been thinking about Boaz Benjamin, and still like it, but I feel like something like Boaz Benjamin Noah sounds like a list of Bible names, rather than an actual combo. I am very happy and proud of my faith, but I like having lots of lovely associations with my combos, not just different Bible names. Literature and nature and family and history and culture and languages and good themes like hope and strength.

Alexis for a boy has always intrigued me, but I’m not sure. Boaz Aubrey? I feel like Aubrey and Alexis have similar feelings for both genders. I like Alexander or Alexei more than Alexis, and I’m not sure I really like them with Boaz, what with the harsh “Z” and “X” so close together. Ironically, though, I am thinking about Boaz Xavier… Boaz Xavier Henry? Is that too harsh?

[name_m]Eli[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Eliazar[/name_m]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_u]Elia[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_m]Eliseo[/name_m]
[name_m]Elian[/name_m]

Oops, sorry. Forgot the two-syllable rule thingy. [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is so handsome though - I really am starting to think that [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is ‘That Name’ which makes every combination sound dashing and sophisticated! It’s definitely [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] in the way you describe. I see what you mean, [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] may be a little Biblical to pair with both [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u], and [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] has that repeated -en sound that makes it sound a little off… ([name_u]Alexis[/name_u] is one of those names I feel I should really like, but I don’t - it was a shot in the dark really) Having immediately just typed, “Hmm, I’m not sure about [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] and [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] so close together”, I have just really thought about it (although ahh, not sure if I’m saying [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] right) and I love the sound - it’s a bit of a tongue-twister but one that is really ‘calmed down’ by [name_m]Henry[/name_m], which has performed its usual magic - voila, a great-sounding combination! [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] does look harsh in a way (all those tricksy end-of-alphabet letters), but it’s not when said out loud. What about [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Xavier[/name_m]? Does that reduce harshness?

Oh, by the way, call me [name_f]Lin[/name_f] if it’s easier. It’s not my real name, but I’m trying it out for the moment.

[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is adorable!! I’m generally not a fan of 2 middle names, but the flow is perfection and rolls of the tongue. [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is also adorable. I love [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m].