What is your impression of the name Fiona?

I’ve looked through some older posts about Fiona. Definitely a lot of questions regarding whether it’s usable after Shrek became popular.
It’s a name I’ve never really given much thought to, but find myself coming back to a lot lately. I think maybe I enjoy names that have a long o sound?

Regardless, what type of girl/woman do you imagine having the name Fiona? Does the name feel too freely? Or does it feel a little spunky and lively? What is your general impression?
What other names would you suggest that you feel are similar to Fiona’s style?

I think I typically would have classified names like Fiona as being too Princessy for my taste, but I think the long o sound makes it sound a bit different than some of mother names that would typically be too “frilly” for our family- like Arabella or Serephina, etc.

love [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. But just also as an idea friend I know has daughter [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Fina[/name_f]. Also so cute.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] a lot! I don’t think she’s too frilly or princessy, but instead feels strong, feminine, and sophisticated/elegant – very different from [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] or [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], more matching the vibes of [name_f]Margot[/name_f] or [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]. I know a little [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] (she’s 7-8yrs old), and she’s super spunky and sweet, energetic with a huge heart!

3 Likes

I personally love the name [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]! While some people may associate it with that movie, I doubt it would be in a negative way as that’s an awesome movie! I think you’re right that it strikes a good balance between girl/princessy but not too frilly!

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] has quite a down to earth vibe to me, perhaps because the Fiona’s I have known have been quite academic and sensible. I really like how it sounds. It’s a name that had a mid-century boon in the UK, but looking at the US stats I can see that [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] isn’t going to have those dated associations, if that’s where you are.

Other names like [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] ~
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiora[/name_f], [name_f]Ofira[/name_f],
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Amber[/name_f]

Admittedly, Fiona isn’t a personal favourite - a bit clunky, dusty and crunchy for me - however! more objectively, it’s a strong but sweet sounding name with a nice flow and that pleasing O sound. I’ve recently encountered a lovely Fiona too - kind, intelligent, and enthusiastic - and she used the nickname Fi, which I think adds something to the name.

For me, names that feel similar to Fiona include: Rhiannon, Aileen, Katrina / Catriona, Shona, Thelma, Sylvia, Judith, Julie, Julia, Yvonne, Lorna, Iona, Claudia, Rosanna, Rosanne, Phillipa, Tabitha

I like Fiona! It’s the name of a lot of cool fictional characters. I do slightly prefer Fianna or Fiadh (Fia) over it, but Fiona is still a sweet slightly unusual option.

Joanne
Mavis
Pearl
Greta
Sybil

I love Fiona! It’s a bright, bubbly, energetic name. I picture a Fiona as a sweet girl, with long blond hair and sparkly light blue eyes. I don’t think it’s too princessy/frilly at all!

Names I think are similar to Fiona:

Oona
Orla
Aoife
Liora
Elowen
Hope
Fiora
Leona
Leonie
Lola
Lois
Ione
Iona
Ophelie
Zosia
Heloise
Ramona
Isobel
Odette
Paloma
Naomi
Noemi
Winona
Roisin
Soleil
Rosabelle
Nola
Noelle

I love [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]! I think a lot of first impressions would be of Shrek, but I think it wouldn’t be too much of a barrier like maybe [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] would be.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], I’m obsessed with the nickname “Phee”. I imagine [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] to be the kinda of little girl who loves to sit in a field of flowers, letting her imagination run wild whilst laying down looking up at the clouds. She dresses girly but loves jumping in puddles and getting muddy too. She’s a sweet, sweet soul.

And the name [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is criminally underrated.

1 Like

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] feels different to me than similar Celtic names (e.g. [name_f]Ffion[/name_f], Iona), because - as some Brits here have mentioned - I tend to pair [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] with names like [name_f]Amanda[/name_f], [name_f]Julie[/name_f], [name_f]Karen[/name_f], as most Fionas I have come across were born in the 60s. So I think it really depends on where you are!

1 Like

I have the sweetest cousin called [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] - she’s fair haired & blue eyed, willowy & loves nature and I - but I just don’t like the name, even with many good associations! I somehow see it (or feel it( as dull, tired & limp. It seems like a follower’s name. So I don’t see it as princessy. I see it as girly but for someone shy and nondescript. Similar but livelier names are: [name_f]Heather[/name_f], [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] & [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] (Pip).

[name_f]Love[/name_f] it! I always think of [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] from [name_f]Lois[/name_f] Lowry’s book the giver! [name_m]Awesome[/name_m] character!