What names have we missed?

Israelle

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] friends!
I’m surprised Magnum isn’t on here, the Latin name, like in Magnum opus? I’ve heard it pronounced both Mag-num and Mahn-yoom.

5 Likes

Jay!!

7 Likes

[name_m]Kip[/name_m] could work as a nickname for something like [name_f]Christabel[/name_f]. Please make it unisex!

3 Likes

I’m shocked [name_u]Jay[/name_u] isn’t in the system!

2 Likes

It is! That’s a technical issue haha because I put !! near it, it didn’t get linked

I meant it as a reply to [name_u]Jay[/name_u] (otter.on.ice) :grin:

6 Likes

hey! please let me know if you can add any of these, I can add more descriptions of each name if needed, I just did a few. I wasn’t sure which spellings of some of these names were the most popular, so I just included a couple. And if anyone has any background information about some of them that would be good to add, let me know! Thank you <3 .

Aldora : Greek origin meaning “winged gift”
Elladora: Greek origin meaning “a gift sent from Heaven”
Bradington :
Bradenton :
Carrera / Correra :
Donnacha / Donnica / Donica :
Donella / Donnella :
Devore :
Isabellina / Isabelina : “My God is a vow”
Iowa : Native American origin meaning “Beautiful Land”.
Lavene / Lavine / Levine / Levene / Laveen :
Reddington / Redington :
Steva : English origin meaning crown
Stevia : Greek origin meaning sweet, to sweeten, or sweet personality.
Wanetta : English origin meaning “pale”

7 Likes

Casper for a girl. Jason Lee has a daughter named Casper, so I think it works. That association is mentioned in the description of the name, so I was a little surprised it wasn’t listed as a girl name.

3 Likes

Ohhh
Facepalm

2 Likes

[name_m]Even[/name_m] more botanicals!

• [name_f]Canna[/name_f] (“cane, reed”)
  • Dionaea (aka venus flytrap, “goddess”, used as an epithet for [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] because she is said to be the daughter of [name_u]Dione[/name_u] in some stories)
  • Dracaena (“dragon”)
  • [name_f]Elodea[/name_f] (“marshy”, as they grow in swamps)
  • Enula/Inula (Latin corruption of Greek helenion, after [name_f]Helen[/name_f] of Troy)
  • Gloriosa (“glorious”)
  • Jamesia (after botanist Dr. [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] James)
  • Lutea (“yellow”)
  • Nemophila (aka baby blue eyes, “grove-loving”)
  • Niphaea (“snow”)
  • [name_f]Petrea[/name_f] (after [name_u]Robert[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Lord[/name_m] Petre; also a Scandinavian variant of Petra)
  • [name_f]Vella[/name_f] (cress)
    ~~~
  • [name_m]Acer[/name_m] (the scientific name for maple trees, “hard” or “sharp”)
  • Olax (“furrow”)
  • Phlox (“flame”)
  • Pyrus (the classical name for pear trees)
    ~~~
  • Bellis (the scientific name for the daisy, meaning “beautiful”)
8 Likes

I was really curious to see which language or tribe of origin the word was from and I stumbled across this cool article (Searching for the Meaning of Iowa: Word Roots, Prairie Roots (Blog) | Cedar Falls, IA Patch)!

(tl;dr for those just scrolling)

The way to the meaning of the word Iowa is through the Ioway. Ioway is the French transcription of Ayuway, which is what the Illini and Meskwaki called the tribe. The roots of this word only get more twisted. Ayuway is actually an alteration of what the Dakota called the tribe: Ayuxba (AH-you-khbah), which is believed to mean “sleepy ones.” Ayuxba to Iowa: the “sleepy ones.”

Makes me wonder just how many other words have been given altered meanings by non-Native Americans, especially since so many names of US states originated from different Indigenous American languages!

Sorry this is so off topic it just interested my inner history nerd so I thought I’d share!

12 Likes

Ahmose: Egyptian, pronounced AH-mos, it was the name of a [name_m]Pharaoh[/name_m] who drove out the Hyksos in [name_u]Egypt[/name_u]. Means “born of Iah” (an Egyptian moon god).

3 Likes

Benedicte is a Norwegian and Danish feminine form of Benedict

4 Likes

wow! Thank you for that article, it was very interesting. I’m trying to find a concise way of wording the definition and origin of the name. Not sure if I should keep the “beautiful land” meaning. And yes I’m very curious what other how the other states got their names. thank you for looking into it <3. hope it can be added to the name database!

1 Like

I had a classmate named Avinash too! We were kids but he looked Indian to me so I think it’s an indian name? He pronounced the first syllable as AH though

I am what, the 5th or 7th person who likes unusual botanical names? However, I don’t typically see them on the extended SSA list so I figured that’s why they haven’t been added after listing them in this thread. However, while I have not met one, Lunaria did make it to the extended SSA list last year!! :partying_face: So I think it’s finally time to add her to the list! :tada:
Here’s some of the other botanical names I like that I previously mentioned What names have we missed? - #1684 by KaiLun Also Lavatera (mallows), Nolana, Calendula (Marigold), Aiglentina / Aiglentine (sweet briar rose in French), and Torenia (wishbone flower)

I met a guy named Carol the other day so I looked up this name and noticed Carol only had a page for girls. Carol for a boy was in the US top 1000 from about 1910 to 1960 so I think that definitely warrants Carol to have a male page. Especially since Caroll has never been in the top 1000 yet it has a boy page…

In 1940 for example, there were 253 boys named Carol, 46 boys named Carolyn, 23 for Carole and Caroll, and 8 for Caroline. That’s 10 times more Carols than Caroll

3 Likes

And that’s what I find funny, because Arthur for a girl’s entry says…

Yes, it’s hard to see Arthur as a girls’ name, but our database pulls in every name that appears on every name popularity list from anywhere ever.

How did we miss Carol?!? :grin:

7 Likes

Faegan (g)

Origin: [name_f]English[/name_f], Irish

Meaning: Joyful

1 Like

Oaken. There is a puppy down the street from us named Oaken. He is named after [name_u]Oak[/name_u] trees and even though he’s a dog, I think it would be cute on a kid.

7 Likes

That is adorable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heartbeat:

Oaken is also the shopkeeper in Frozen :relaxed:

1 Like