What were your parents going to name you?

What were the other names in the running for yourself? my names [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] but i was going to be [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] or [name_u]Jessie[/name_u]

1 Like

Eleanor was the main one!

Freya. [name_f]My[/name_f] nameā€™s [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] and my last name begines with s. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle was going to be [name_u]Rae[/name_u] butā€¦ [name_u]Abi[/name_u] [name_u]Rae[/name_u] Sā€¦

My mom was going to name me [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] in honor of her grandmother who raised her [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. She really liked [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] but at the time [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] wasnā€™t very popular so she wasnā€™t brave enough to name me [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. She also strongly considered [name_f]Leah[/name_f] for me!

1 Like

My parents considered [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], or [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] (or [name_m]Ben[/name_m] if I had been a boy). I like my actual name fine, but I would have loved to be an [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]! None of my younger siblings ended up named these, eitherā€“I think my parents had a new list each time.

Iā€™m [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], but apparently [name_f]Megan[/name_f] and [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u] were in the running, all with the mn [name_u]Lyn[/name_u]. If I were a boy, my parents talked about [name_m]David[/name_m] or [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], probably with mn [name_u]James[/name_u].

Initialsā€¦

Well, my parents always tell me that they just ā€œknewā€ I was a [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] when I was born. But my dad liked [name_f]Ann[/name_f] (mom vetoed that) and they liked [name_m]Walter[/name_m] for a boy (Iā€™m happy I was not born a boy.) Itā€™s a plain name but I love it overall!

[name_f]My[/name_f] mother wanted to name me either [name_f]Irisa[/name_f] or Sarosha.
I think I wouldā€™ve preferred those to the name my father picked out for me. :sweat_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] momā€™s picks were [name_f]Crystal[/name_f] or [name_f]Emily[/name_f], with [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as a middle.
[name_f]My[/name_f] dad liked [name_u]Fallon[/name_u], [name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u], and [name_m]Valerian[/name_m].

They compromised and named me [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], and my middle didnā€™t end up being [name_f]Rose[/name_f].
Personally, I wouldā€™ve rather had any of those names (except [name_f]Crystal[/name_f]) over the one they ended up giving me.
Itā€™s okay though, I just go by [name_u]Ash[/name_u] instead now! :slightly_smiling_face:

@penelope_lynson I think about that all the time haha. I actually have had [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] on my list since before I knew he considered it for me!
I donā€™t know where he got the names from, because heā€™s not actually into names, so probably from movies and books!

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what other girls names were considered for me. They say they canā€™t remember whenever I ask. But it probably wouldā€™ve been other Welsh names since my dad chose my first name and that was his only criteria.
Although I do know that if I had been a boy, I wouldā€™ve been named [name_m]Kier[/name_m] (even tho itā€™s not Welsh :joy:)

Fiona, [name_u]Tennessee[/name_u], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_m]Otis[/name_m], or [name_m]Abraham[/name_m].

[name_f]My[/name_f] parents strongly considered naming me [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] as an ā€˜Sā€™ name to honor my great grandpa [name_u]Sol[/name_u] who has recently passed away. Then at the last minute, my mom somehow justified that MicheLLe was close enough to SoL, because she wanted to name me after a Beatles song! :grin: [name_f]My[/name_f] sister is [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] after recently passed away Grandpa [name_m]Joe[/name_m]. I always wanted to rename us [name_f]Jane[/name_f]/Janie & [name_f]Stella[/name_f]. [name_m]Way[/name_m] more interesting 80s girls than [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] & [name_f]Michelle[/name_f]! Sheā€™d make a great [name_f]Janie[/name_f]. I may be a little too even keel of a personality to be a [name_f]Stella[/name_f], but I do love it & it would actually honor [name_u]Sol[/name_u].

My parents were between [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. I think my mumā€™s cousin named his daughter [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] about a month before I was born (although Iā€™ve never met her so not completely sure) and thatā€™s why they went with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].

I was [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] [name_f]Renee[/name_f] up until I was born, but had I been a boy I wouldā€™ve been named [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] and called [name_m]Zach[/name_m].

I know my father decided to name me [name_f]Katrin[/name_f], a popular name in [name_m]Germany[/name_m] the year I was born. He just liked it and thought [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], my middle name, was too old fashioned for the time. Itā€™s the name of both of his grandmothers.
[name_f]My[/name_f] mother wasnā€™t interested in all that and I never talked to her about things like that (or any personal things, itā€™s difficult).
If I had been a boy I think he said he would have chosen [name_m]Martin[/name_m] :thinking:

I was almost a [name_f]Luisa[/name_f], since [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is my grandmotherā€™s middle name, though I ended up being named [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] instead. [name_f]My[/name_f] mum also strongly considered [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] for me. She said she had a gut feeling I was a girl so didnā€™t bother with boy names (despite her friends from one of the local supermarkets at the time saying that sheā€™d have a boy, lol) but she said her favourite boys name is [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] (which coincidentally was my cousinā€™s ā€œalmost nameā€ - heā€™s a [name_u]James[/name_u] instead). Itā€™s a relief she was right and I did turn out to be a girl!

If I was a boy I would have been [name_m]Cole[/name_m] [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]

If I was a boy, [name_m]Joshua[/name_m].

My parents only had two names picked out; [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]. They got us both. However, if my brother, [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], was a girl, he wouldā€™ve been [name_u]Julianne[/name_u] or [name_f]Julianna[/name_f].