What you thought your kids would look like vs. what they actually look like! 🌷

This is a very random question, but I think the replies could be quite interesting!
I’ve always pictured my future children to have dark hair, dark eyes, chubby cheeks, and relatively pale skin, but I’ve recently been pondering the fact that my kids could end up looking totally opposite from that (okay, not exactly opposite, but you get what I mean!)
So, what did you picture your children as looking like, and what do they actually look like? Is there similarities between the two or does your child look entirely different?
[name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to also answer with your predictions of what your child will look at for a fun little time capsule to look back on in the future if you ever do have children!

[name_f]My[/name_f] mental picture of baby #1 was scarily accurate- long light brown hair, big sweet brown eyes, my husband’s skin tone, and a cute little pointy chin. The only mahot difference is that I thought his hair would be wavy instead of straight.

Weirdly I really had no idea about what #2 would look like. I think he’ll end up with wavy or curly light golden brown hair, hazel eyes, and my skin tone, poor kid. [name_u]Welcome[/name_u] to a lifetime of needing SPF 50.

6 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] older sister had a baby a little while ago. I thought her baby would have tan skin and big brown eyes like her husband and brown hair like her, but he actually has fairly light skin, light brown hair and I think he’s eyes are going to stay blue. I got his hair color right though haha. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister has brown hair like her baby.

I don’t have children myself, but I always imagined my children having blonde, brown or possibly red hair and blue eyes. I can’t really imagine them having tan skin or brown eyes or black hair- probably because most of the guys I’ve liked have had blue eyes like me and blonde or brown hair so if I were to get with one of them, it seems unlikely that they would have black hair. I have liked a small amount of guys with brown eyes and black hair and with a darker skin tone though so it could happen?

It will be cool seeing how they turn up looking like because you never know what coloring they will have.

1 Like

I thought my kids would be blonde as children and then darken to brown as this is what happened with both my husband and I. [name_f]My[/name_f] hair turned brown by age 5, while his took longer to darken. I assumed green eyes and was hoping for my husband’s light green as it’s a gorgeous colour, mine are more typical darker green. I also know kids often look like their fathers so I thought they’d favour him.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first was born with bright red hair which I hadn’t even thought of as a possibility, though we do have one or two redheads in the family. It’s now (7yo) a tiny bit more strawberry-blonde but still quite red. It’s also quite wavy/almost curly which she gets from my husband’s side, which I love. She is otherwise her father’s twin in build, facial features, everything – except she has my dark green eye colour, his eye shape.

[name_f]My[/name_f] second was born with my colour hair (brown, lighter than my husband’s) which quickly fell out and was replaced with blonde. He’s 4yo and it’s darkening but still blonde so I think he’ll take longer like my husband. Not sure if it will be my colour because that’s what he was born with, or my husband’s. He actually looks more like me with a more oval face and his eye shape is like mine. His eyes were bright blue for the longest time, but just recently they look more grey. I’m not sure if they’ll turn more light green like my husband’s or not. Seems late for eye colour to change but here we are.

So not giant differences but some slight ones!

2 Likes

I have what people call dishwater blonde hair and my husband has brown hair. We both have blue eyes but mine are dark whereas his are a beautiful light blue. I assumed our baby would inherit his dad’s dominant brown hair and some shade of blue eyes. I figured he’d look like a generic baby lol…but some sort of blend of the two of us.

I wasn’t expecting to give birth to my husband’s tiny clone :joy: the instant he came out, multiple medical people said that he looked just like his dad! He did. [name_m]Brown[/name_m] hair but dark blue eyes, which I figured would change as newborns eyes typically do.

He’s a few years old now. His hair actually turned blonde, which was a huge surprise! His eyes are still my shade of blue. I guess some of my genetics ended up winning after all lol.

1 Like

Interesting question.

With my oldest, my mental picture of him was pretty accurate, because I thought he’d have his father’s black curly hair (his father is half Ugandan) and dark eyes, and H. does have those. I did expect his skin to be a little lighter maybe, because his father’s skin isn’t very dark and I’m as white as can be, but H. is actually slightly darker than his dad.

As for my other children, that I have with my husband, I guess I expected them to have more of my husband’s features. He has dark hair and he and his mother and brothers all share the same facial features, so I thought he’d have dominant genes :sweat_smile: In reality, one of our sons has blonde almost white hair, like me, our other son is strawberry blonde and B. has red hair and freckles. They all have blue eyes. They seem to have inherited more of my viking genes :sweat_smile: Our daughter has darker hair for now, but she’s only 3,5 months old and it could still change.
One detail I think is cute: my husband has a very small gap between his front teeth, and one of our twins has the exact same little gap between his. He’s only 2 so it could still disappear, but it’s pretty remarkable.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] oldest is pretty close to what I had imagined my children would look like. Blonde hair (though a little darker than I’d pictured but her dad has black hair so that wasn’t too surprising), oval face, light skin and big sapphire blue eyes. [name_f]My[/name_f] second however was a little bit of a surprise. She has brown hair, (though its lightening a she gets older) a cute little cleft chin, a square face, a little more olive colored skin, and big blue eyes same shade as her sisters (pretty much inevitable as both my husband and I have blue eyes… however my eyes are more grey-blue and my husbands are light pale blue so we dont know where they get their color but its beautiful!)

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter looks a lot like me with light brown/fawn-colored hair, pale skin, and green eyes—though they’re lighter like my husband’s very teal green eyes, not dark like mine.

[name_f]My[/name_f] son is the first out of 13 grandchildren to inherit my father in law’s light red hair, with cinnamon brown eyes like my late grandpa’s. I was not anticipating that, though I actually had a dream about picking up a little light red-haired, brown-eyed boy at school while I was pregnant…

And we’re going to meet our second daughter in the next couple weeks! I’m so excited to see what she’ll look like—no precognitive dreams so far :laughing:

2 Likes

The only thing I got right about my son is he has blue eyes. I thought he’d have his father’s blue eyes, wavy hair, my dark hair, and be well, more like me generally. He looks more like his father’s brother than anything tbh, blonde hair, blue eyes, hooded eyes, but he does have my dimple. His father’s hair darkened to brown and got wavy around the start of puberty so there’s still a chance my guess is more accurate of my son’s fully developed form. But his uncle stayed dirty blonde and he seems to favor him so I’m not sure.

When I was pregnant I dreamt of a little girl that fit what I imagined, but he’s not a girl either, so I either it was just wholly imagination or maybe I was seeing my next child? Who knows. We’ll have to see. My fiance’s family is pretty male dominated but we both are really hoping for a girl for the next child. (I actually got my wish with having a boy first which is why the girl I dreamt of felt less like something I’d imagine.) When he was a newborn, he looked really different had brown hair which fell out and grew in blonde, I dreamt of him how he looks now, but like a year or two older, and I had another newborn. So I think dreams can be premonitive as we’re planning to TTC in August so he’ll be about a year older when we have the next baby if we’re lucky.

2 Likes

I expected my son to be blue eyes and brown hair. He came out with blue eyes and brown hair and I thought I predicted it right (I’m blue eyes and brown hair, his dad is brown eyes and brown hair). But alas… the brown hair fell out and he’s blonde! Blonde straight hair. He is also fair skinned which I predicted as my partner and I are too.

I expected the same for my daughter, blue eyes and brown hair. But she has brown eyes and brown hair. Although her hair is light brown and I predicted dark brown. She is only 6 months old though so it could change! I doubt it though as none has fallen out, whereas my son became a baldy before the blonde appeared. She’s also fair skinned, again I predicted this. I hope her hair goes curly like mine was, it’s wavy right now.

2 Likes

I was imagining a white blonde, blue eyed girl (like my husband) but she came out strawberry blonde and hazel-eyed just like me :face_holding_back_tears:

Now I’m imagining another little amber-haired and hazel-eyed boy… how I’d love to have two little mini-me’s!

3 Likes

I definitely pictured my son a Blonde haired blue eyed little guy, like spitting image of his dad and thats what i got!! Haahha

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter I kind of thought she would have darker hair, but with her name we picked i more so was thinking it would match someone with lighter features… and she too is blonde haired and blue eyed!! With chunky cheeks. She borders having red hair though, i cant tell. Some days it looks like very very light blonde then in other lights it looks a tint strawberry blonde.

I have dark hair and hazel eyes lol

1 Like

I don’t have a kid yet, but currently expecting. Personally, I have no clue what I think they will look like! But my partner and his family are all pretty convinced they will have red hair like me. I’m skeptical as the only redheads in my family for generations are my sister & I, and none of her 3 kids have red hair. SO was blond as a kid but it darkened to light brown as he got older. Almost all of my (very large) family have brown hair. So I guess we’ll see.

I suspect they will have blue eyes, though, like SO (mine are green), and will probably end up on the short side (we’re both under 5’4").

I’ll be interested to see how these predictions compare to the real baby who is set to arrive in [name_u]November[/name_u]!

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is almost 1.5 years old and she looks almost nothing like I imagined :laughing:

First, as a newborn… I thought she’d be long, chunky, and bald (my brother and I were bald). [name_f]My[/name_f] 20 week anatomy scan matched my friend’s, whose baby was 11 pounds at birth :scream: Instead my daughter was slightly long, skinny, and had light brown hair. I also thought she’d have vernix caseosa, but she didn’t have any. They said it was because she was full-term and usually babies have that when they’re a little early :woman_shrugging:t2:

At her age now… I never pictured my daughter with dirty blonde, curly hair (the light brown hair fell out and she was bald for a little bit :laughing:) [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I knew blonde and curly were definitely genetic options, I just never pictured it. Her hair will very likely turn brown or auburn brown as she gets older, so I will soak up those blonde locks while they’re here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And her eyes are huge, round, and blue. The shape just isn’t what I pictured. I focused so much on what color I wanted her eyes to be, when picking the donor, and never gave a thought to their shape. She has her donor’s eye shape and her eyes are absolutely stunning and perfect… [name_m]Just[/name_m] so much more breathtaking than I ever imagined :face_holding_back_tears:

As for what I expected… She is pale and has sensitive skin :sweat_smile: She is over 90th percentile for height, which I had a gut feeling about.

I’m sure so many traits will make themselves more prominent or pop up as she continues to grow :muscle:t2: :heartbeat:

5 Likes

I was totally open to what our team green baby would look like and felt for sure it would favor my husband and my stepson. Dark/olive skin tone, dark hair, and light brown eyes.

I had been a lifelong natural blonde… until the moment I got pregnant and then my hair was totally dark! I was convinced that meant the baby had dark hair.

The night our son was born I made this comment and one of the nurses laughed and said honey, that baby has hair but it isn’t dark. I was sort of shocked but didn’t know what she meant.

And then out came our son with white blonde hair, blue eyes, and did have his daddy’s olive skin. Quite the combo and not what I expected at all!! And he still looks this way, you truly never know and there is no greater surprise!

5 Likes

Me too! Glad I’m not the only one!

1 Like

It was the strangest thing! It has sort of gone back, but is no where near as light as it was pre-pregnancy! I’m glad to know I’m not the only one too!

1 Like

I basically married the personification of [name_u]Po[/name_u] from Kung Fu [name_u]Panda[/name_u]. He’s 6’3" and a big dude, with super dark brown hair and brown eyes. I’m petite (5’2") with medium brown hair and brown eyes. I’m pretty pale. He tans better than I do.

I naturally figured our kids would all have brown hair and brown eyes, since it’s genetically dominant, and that’s what we have. Had no idea what height to expect.

Welp. Our first was born bald with slate-grey eyes that turned brown over time. When her hair came in, it was a way lighter brown than either of us ever had. Her facial features look a lot like her dad. She and I look barely related. She’s also growing up too have a long and lean build, unlike either of us.

Our second had a full head of dark hair, dark brown eyes and her skin is darker than either of ours. She kiiiiind of looks like me, but still bears a pretty strong resemblance to her dad. She’s about average height so far with an athletic build.

Then! Our youngest wasn’t at all what we expected. [name_u]Light[/name_u] brown hair (almost dirty blonde) and blue eyes that turned grey as she got older. I swear she’s ours! She has fair skin, and her face looks insanely like her dad’s. And she’s little and round. Most people guess she’s younger than she really is.

I never would have looked at my big-and-tall bearded husband and thought he’d translate into a pretty little girl, but he basically did three times. People ask if we’re trying for a boy (Is that a tacky question?), and I tell them we’re trying for a baby who looks like me :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I always pictured having littles with dark hair and blue eyes, but Rhett’s very very blonde! He does have big blue eyes though! He otherwise looks exactly like I pictured, just a different hair colour lol

2 Likes

Yep mine has maybe lightened to a dark blonde/light brown. But definitely not the light blonde it was before pregnancy. It was a side effect of pregnancy I had never considered

1 Like