Whats wrong with Gilligan?

We just adopted two kittens. We named them [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] and Gilligan. Two boys. [name_u]Finn[/name_u] is black, and [name_u]Gill[/name_u] is calico. Why is Gilligan not a boys option? It is very Irish, fun to say, and has the cute nn [name_u]Gill[/name_u]. And yes yes yes, I know about the 1960s show Gilligan’s [name_u]Island[/name_u]. But enough time has passed that even that connection sounds cute and retro. Am I way off-base or perhaps ahead of the curve?

PS. There isn’t even an entry for Gilligan on the site.

1 Like

Some names just aren’t on the database yet! After all, there are lot of names out there :slight_smile: I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Gilligan- kind of cool!

There’s a thread here where you can suggest new names for the database if you like
https://forum.nameberry.com/t/what-names-have-we-missed/135360/1146

So cute!! Gill :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think that it is still very much tied to the show here in the states. That is literally my only association with it and I haven’t even seen the show!

I went through a phase where I really liked [name_m]Gallagher[/name_m], purely because of the sound. It was very notably connected to Shameless and people constantly pointed it out to me. Sometimes things are just hard to break, especially famous ones.

(For the record, Gilligan isn’t a bad name at all. I love [name_u]Gill[/name_u] as a nn, too.)

Gilligan on Gilligans island was super silly and accident prone. Its just not a attractive association.

Maybe the reference is fading but I still saw reruns on tv as a kid.