Which Melusine Combo? {quick poll}

If you’re a visual person, you can reference this moodboard to get a sense of the vibe I’m going for.

• Melusine Opal Fontaine
  • Melusine Opal Alcyone
  • Melusine Echo Fontaine
  • Melusine Echo Alcyone

0 voters

Bonus points if you want to rank these combos from favorite to least favorite, and extra bonus points if you drop a quick line about the reasons for your top and bottom choices!

Thank you so much for all your help! :purple_heart:

these are all beautiful! in order from favourite to least favourite:

melusine opal fontaine: gorgeous! i love the imagery of this combo and the names suit each other wonderfully.
melusine echo fontaine: this combo flows so well (perhaps even better than melusine opal fontaine).
melusine opal alcyone: i like this one too, but alcyone always stumps me with pronunciation - i much prefer fontaine in this combo.
melusine echo alcyone: in terms of flow, i like this one the least.

1 Like

It’s between these two for me, depending on if the flow of the combo is or isn’t of great importance to you…
[name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_u]Echo[/name_u] [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] – I love all three names, though I’m not sure the flow is fantastic. That said, so what? It’s a bloody gorgeous combo and it fits your aesthetic perfectly.
[name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f] Fontaine – This, I think, definitely has the best flow of the four combos, but I can’t say I’m as fond of Fontaine myself, so that lets it down a bit for me.

Also, in regard to [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f] [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] – The -al [name_m]Al[/name_m]- repetition immediately stood out to me, and really seems to throw the flow out a fair bit.

1 Like

[name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_u]Echo[/name_u] Fountaine is intriguing and pretty

1 Like

I love both [name_f]Opal[/name_f] and [name_u]Echo[/name_u] with Melusine!! They fit her perfectly — ethereal but just a littttle bit spiky.

I prefer [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] in terms of vibe/sound, but Fontaine has a much better flow. I’m split about which is ultimately better here. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any other options for the final name?

1 Like
  1. [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_u]Echo[/name_u] [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f] [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_u]Echo[/name_u] Fontaine
  4. Meluaine [name_f]Opal[/name_f] Fontaine

Both [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] combinations are first, because to me Fontaine feels more historic and ancient and less mermaid like. [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] fits the vibe beautifully. [name_u]Echo[/name_u] is the preferred middle name for me, because it feels slightly more mysterious and deep to me [and I prefer the name Echo], but [name_f]Opal[/name_f] is a very close second! I think [name_f]Opal[/name_f] fits wonderfully as well.

1 Like

@Indilee - Thank you for the feedback! I’m so glad you love Fontaine - I found it through a Netflix kids show called The Deep and instantly crushed hard. I know there are several possible pronunciations for Alcyone, and that AL-kee-oh-nee or al-kee-OH-nee is probably the most true to the original Greek. However, we would be using this as an honor name, and the person we’d be honoring pronounced it al-see-OWN.

@Sunniva - I think it’s down to those two for me as well! I had pretty much decided Melusine Opal Fontaine was going to be the combo, but then someone suggested Echo, and when I said Melusine Echo aloud, it was just instant magic! I’d had Alcyone floating around my list forever, and it just never fit anywhere, but I love it with Melusine Echo - it feels so sinuous and magical. I had not even noticed the back-to-back al / Al syllables, and this is something I’m usually extremely picky about, so thank you for pointing it out!!

@Greyblue - Thank you! Fontaine is a fairly recent love, but I adore the meaning, and Echo would be an honor name for one of my partners.

@QuirkFlower - Thank you so much for your feedback on Melusine Opal and Melusine Echo - I’m really in love with them both, but for different reasons. As far as other options, I think it’s really just down to Melusine Opal Fontaine and Melusine Echo Alcyone. But there’s also no time pressure yet, because I’m just collecting and building my list.

@columbiacharm - Thank you so much for your feedback on Fontaine! I’m new to the name, whereas Alcyone has been on my list for nearly a decade now. I think you’re right that Echo has more depth and mystery than Opal.

Before I came to check the results of this poll, I’d privately narrowed down the options to two favorites: Melusine Opal Fontaine, which was the original frontrunner (with Melusine Opal being the part I’d had in mind when building the moodboard) and Melusine Echo Alcyone, which was a last minute inspiration based on suggestions from the moodboard thread (even though all three names have been hanging out on the long list for years.)

Polls are always so helpful to me in choosing combos, and sometimes in the opposite way you’d think - when a combo is ranked at the bottom of the community feedback and it’s easy to let go of, I know that’s not the one. But sometimes when a combo is the lowest ranked, I feel really sad that others don’t see the same magic in it that I do, or I can’t bear the thought of striking it off the list, and that tells me that I really love the name.

In this case, I think I have to go with Melusine Echo Alcyone, because even though it’s the lowest ranked, it’s the one I can’t bear to lose and the one that really makes my heart sing. I think Sunniva really summed up my feelings, so I’m going to quote her here:

So what, indeed!

Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful feedback! I really love this community. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I want to add that I actually think Fontaine is a great, underused name! I’d love to see it used. It’s just my imagery for Fontaine is French, old buildings, historic sites, ancient poets and writers and slow moving rivers.
Also, I am obviously enthused that you’re going with Melusine Echo Alcyone.

1 Like