Who does your child/children take after?

Just curious topic of conversation. Who do your children take after?! Mum or dad?
I have brown hair and brown eyes.
[name_f]My[/name_f] partner is blonde and blue/greeny eyes.
Both our boys are blonde. [name_f]My[/name_f] eldest has green eyes and my youngest has very blue eyes.
Strange to think that brown hair and eyes are meant to be dominant. Makes me think if the third may take after me. ( Here’s hoping)

1 Like

I don’t have kids but people constantly tell me I look like my mum’s twin. I’ve compared pictures of me, my mum, and my grandma at the same age and the only way you can tell who’s who is by the age of the pictures. It’s crazy.

3 Likes

Aw that’s sweet :slight_smile:

I’m the same! [name_f]My[/name_f] mum looks great for her age as well so here’s hoping I will too :wink:

We’re both fair-haired and blue eyed so there weren’t many options for her! But she’s got her Dad’s ginger hair rather than my blonde. Still hasn’t grown enough hair for us to see if it’ll be curly or not, at this rate she’ll be 4 before she even needs a hair cut. Looks more like her dad than me I think, but definitely a bit of both in there.

@anon25197097 how old are your kids? You may fi e they change as get older. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister was born blonde and blue-eyed, changed to brunette and brown-eyed around age 5 or so. Nephew’s hair has changed slowly from bright blonde to pretty much black over 16 years or so.

1 Like

I have 2 year old fraternal twin sons. People tell us that one of them looks just like my husband and one looks just like me. :laughing: [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is Filipino/White and I’m White. It’s pretty funny because one twin does look more [name_f]Asian[/name_f] with an olive complexion, dark brown eyes and straight hair while the other is very pale with blue eyes and reddish curls.(no one else in either of our immediate families has blue eyes). Genetics are so weird and random! I know I’m biased but I think they’re both very handsome boys. :blush:

2 Likes

My husband and I are both Caucasian, have brown eyes and brown hair (his is much darker though), so there isn’t a lot of phenotypic variety available to the children.

Having said that, our oldest son was from the moment he was born and still is a carbon copy of his father. On body and soul, they’re in essence the same person. Everyone, even my own family, told me that it was as if my DH had made him by himself!

I laughed it off and held on to hope that someday I would get my mini-me. Our second oldest indeed looks more like me, as does our second youngest boy. They have lighter brown hair, my nose, chin and lips… but they are just like their father and their brothers in personality, interests, hobbies and humor. Plus, the older they’re getting, the darker their hair becomes and I can see them resembling their father’s side of the family more and more, so I can’t even have their appearance for long!

I foolishly said to myself “when I get my girl, SHE will be MY mini-me”. And of course they completely take after my husband and now they follow their father and their brothers around all day long.

This baby could very well be my last attempt at replacing myself in the genetic pool, and it better work! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

My 4.5 year old daughter is my husband’s twin in terms of facial features! They both have the same face shape and big eyes. She has my eye colour though - dark green instead of my husband’s more seafoam colour. The red hair she got from the milkman.

My 16mo son is blonde, but both my husband and I were blonde as children and it gradually darkened to brown, so we expect he will be the same way. He had more my colour when he was born, went blonde when it fell out. He has my husband’s face shape but my eye shape. His eyes are still blue and I’m not sure they will change at this point – they are lighter blue than when he was born and my daughter was clearly green by six months old so it seems like the blue is staying.

I do think they both have my family’s height. I’m 5’11" but my dad and brother are 6’10". [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is 6’, pretty average. [name_f]My[/name_f] 4.5 yo is currently 4ft tall and my 16mo is nearly 3ft. Giants for their age.

3 Likes

Hi, it does make me wonder if they may have a change of hair colour.
[name_f]My[/name_f] eldest is 6 in [name_f]October[/name_f] and my youngest is 3. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s very tall!
I think height does tend to be hereditary.

They both sound adorable

1 Like

I really can relate. [name_f]My[/name_f] eldest is the image of his dad. [name_f]My[/name_f] youngest is his dad too but not as much. I keep saying if baby 3 is a girl she will look like me. But I think the daddy genes are stronger, clearly lol.

1 Like

Is the red hair gene recessive? [name_f]My[/name_f] nephew has red hair. I often hear brown haired parent and blonde haired parent can have red haired children. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] 3 may have red hair for me! So interesting how genetics play out.

1 Like

Maybe you have a great great grandparent who has the red hair somewhere :crazy_face:

1 Like

I look a little bit like my mom, a little bit like my dad. But I’m really a combo of my dad’s grandmothers.

1 Like

I’m really a combo of my parents (more so my dad, his mom, and an aunt on my moms side), but I do look a bit more like my dad.

I’m like my mom’s mini-me! [name_f]My[/name_f] sisters take after my dad & mom pretty evenly

1 Like

My ex-husband is half Ugandese, so our son, my oldest, has black curly hair and brown eyes. I’m blond with blue eyes. But he definitely has my nose and mouth.

My new SO has black hair and blue eyes. Our son [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] has blue eyes as well, like the both of us. He’s got red hair. While I’m blond myself this is definitely from my side of the family. [name_f]My[/name_f] father has red hair and my twin brother is strawberry blond. Most people say that apart from the hair he takes after my SO, and I can definitely see that, but he also looks somewhat like my father when he was a baby. He’s only 10 months old, so it will probably become clearer when he’s a bit older.

1 Like

I’m blonde haired, blue eyed and Hubby is redheaded and blue eyed. Our oldest son was definitely plucked from my gene pool, with his curly blonde locks. We waited a long time to find out which way he was going to go, since his hair never really started to grow until 10 months or so.

Our second came out with a full head of red hair and looks the spitting image of his Daddy. From what my mother-in-law tells me, there’s a striking similarity in their temperaments at this age too.

1 Like

I have blue eyes and straight fine brown hair. Hubby has thick black curly hair and brown eyes. Sadly both of our kids got my brown straight fine hair. Both kids have hazel eyes. [name_f]My[/name_f] son looks just like my hubby and my daughter looks like a mix between her brother and her Abuela.

1 Like