Why not Claudia?

We’re struggling to find a girl name, and keep coming back to [name_f]Claudia[/name_f]. We like the sound, the nickname [name_u]Claude[/name_u] or [name_f]Claudie[/name_f] and also how universal around the world it seems. But why isn’t it more popular? What are we missing? Any other suggestions? (Surname McD of old and burger fame).

2 Likes

lots of names are great but underused - it doesn’t make Claudia a bad name!

looking at its popularity charts, my guess is that, given Claudia peaked in the 40s and 50s, some consider it dated. the meaning “lame” also probably puts people off.

i don’t think those should be deterrents though, if you like it! it’s a lovely name

3 Likes

I love the name [name_f]Claudia[/name_f]. It is actually fairly popular in Australia (not ultra common though). I think it’s is vintage and a very good choice.

1 Like

I like claudia!!

the meaning ‘lame’ is probably not the greatest but i can’t imagine that’s what puts most people off as not that many people consider name meanings outside of the namenerd community of course.

i think perhaps the claud(e) sound maybe puts people off slightly as being a little clunky or heavy sounding, some people might prefer softer sounding names especially if they’re feminisations of male names eg. georgia, harriet, charlotte all have a slightly softer sound that draws them away from their masculine counterparts.

honestly i don’t see anything wrong with it though i suppose it just isn’t one that has caught on as much which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Claudia[/name_f]! I will say though that when I mentioned it to my partner their response was that it’s an old lady name. That may be why it’s not used often today. But a lot of “old lady names” are being revived right now so I think a little [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] would fit right in with all the Hazels, Ivys, and Junes.

I love [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] so much and it makes me happy seeing someone consider it! I think it’s just one of those names that hasn’t quite caught on … I think it fits some current trends though, so maybe it will rise more in popularity in a few years? I would love to meet some baby Claudias if that were true :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

This is really helpful feedback! Thank you! I knew about the lame associations but not that it was vintage to lots of people…
Would the lame association put you off?
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer other potentials: [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]?

1 Like

It’s a bit clunkier than the names common today, many of which tend to be more flowy. The meaning is also a downer. It’s not a bad name just not my style.

i do like name meanings but if i met a little claudia i wouldn’t instantly think ‘ew that means lame’ i’d just think aww that’s pretty! i think unless there were siblings who had names chosen specifically because of their beautiful meanings then i’d just go for it claudia is a great name.

i really love paloma for you too however with clara and phoebe i wouldn’t go for more popular names above claudia just because others don’t seem to use it, you might regret chosing phoebe or clara purely because they’re a little more popular and well-used.

1 Like

[name_f]Claudia[/name_f] is a beautiful name. Maybe it’s because people see it as a generally older name? To me the only downside is the meaning. But then again [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] is also a sad one but still popular. And [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] with [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] too definitely got it bad.

It’s familiar and nice…very likely it’ll gain popularity in the next decade. What matters is that people know how to say it and spell it and there’s not too many kids nearby with the same name.

I love [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] and would use it without hesitation. There are many wonderful names that don’t get used a lot. I think you’re on a real winner when you find a name like this that you love, that is known and easily recognised, but not used very often! Also great point about how universal it is.

Sounds great with your surname, and I love those nns too.

You’re missing the meaning.

I love [name_f]Claudia[/name_f]! It makes me think of [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] from The Baby-Sitter’s Club, but that is an excellent namesake, in my opinion!

I only took her off my longlist because SO isn’t a fan. :cry: Would love to meet / hear of a baby [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] though.

3 Likes

I like [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] but think [name_f]Claudette[/name_f] McD… flows better.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it matters? It’s not clear that lame really is the meaning… rather it was the female of [name_m]Claudius[/name_m]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know something different?

I would keep looking. Meaning is very important to me in naming, though. There are just so many choices I wouldn’t use anything with negative connotations that I knew about going into it. But…that doesn’t mean you couldn’t.

1 Like

Agreed.

I do think it matters. Meaning is everything in a name to me, in my culture at least. We say a name makes a person, a person doesn’t make a name. If your child’s name means “lame” than they will be lame. At least where I’m from.

Like you say, it’s the feminine of [name_m]Claudius[/name_m], which means “lame”, so it does in turn.

It has a little bit of an ungraceful feel, but in an endearing way I think. For what it’s worth I don’t think anyone in my social circle knows the meaning of their names or the names they’ve chosen for their kids. (I’m in the western US)
It’s not anything vulgar so I wouldn’t let it stop you if you love the sound :blush: