Would you intuitively shorten Amelia?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone,
[name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering if [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] would get intuitively shortened, and if so, what to?
All of the [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] nicknames don’t really share the same sounds.
Thank you so much!

1 Like

I’ve known several girls named [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], and none of them have gone by nicknames. I wouldn’t shorten it automatically, myself, though I do like the nicknames [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], and [name_f]Amy[/name_f]! It’s a sweet name.

I wouldn’t personally intuitively shorten it. A nickname is easy enough to get for it if that’s something you would like (I personally like [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_f]Milly[/name_f] best as nicknames for Amelia) but it’s easy enough to avoid.

1 Like

I would not shorten it. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad’s aunt was named [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] & went exclusively by Meely (my mom actually wanted to use the name [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] but hated the NN Meely and she knew that my dad & his siblings would inevitably it so that’s why my name is not Amelia)

2 Likes

Nooooo Meely is the worst [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] nickname. I didnt realise people actually used it!
Meely is avoidable right?

I think Meely is 100% avoidable for anyone who is not a member of my family :joy:

That’s a relief! Meely and Meels are my two lost favourites

I would not shorten it. The only [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] nickname I’ve actually heard someone use was [name_f]Mia[/name_f].

I probably wouldn’t. All the Amelias I’ve known have been either Amelias or a family nickname not linked to the name.

I like [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] kind of?

Not at all.

[name_f]Every[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] I’ve known have gotten called Meels or Meely.

I wouldn’t intuitively shorten the name as I wouldn’t with any name unless the individual wants to go by a nickname which there are quite a few: [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] (There’s a singer here in the UK that goes by this nn), [name_f]Millie[/name_f] (My friend goes by this), [name_f]Mia[/name_f] / [name_f]Mila[/name_f] (I’ve heard of it being used), [name_f]Amy[/name_f] (More unique variation for this name but is my absolute favourite, I don’t know anyone who goes by it).

I wouldn’t shorten it but if you’re asking the first nickname to come to my head i would probably say [name_f]Millie[/name_f]. But one of the Amelias I know goes by [name_f]Mimi[/name_f]

i would not intuitively shorten it myself (only if they were to introduce themself with a nickname would i use one), however i always think of the nicknames mia and amy when i see amelia so those may be in the back of my mind if i ever do meet one!

I know a little [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Mia[/name_f] which is cute. I also like [name_f]Mila[/name_f] & [name_f]Lia[/name_f]. But I’d actually not intuitively shorten it to anything!!

1 Like

I would intuitively shorten [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] to [name_f]Melia[/name_f].

I wouldn’t shorten it instinctively! I know an [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] that goes by [name_f]Mia[/name_f] though, and my friend had a character named [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] with the nickname Melon.

1 Like

I’ve known an [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and never heard anyone call her a nickname. I think the most common nickname for it is [name_f]Milly[/name_f], but it’s not so obvious (like [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] for [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] or [name_u]Gabby[/name_u] for [name_f]Gabriella[/name_f], for example) that people automatically bestow it on Amelias.

I personally wouldn’t give [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] a nickname. Some three and four syllable names almost always get nicknamed, but even though [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is four syllables, it doesn’t sound as long and letter-y as some. Also, I can’t think of any nicknames that actually sound similar

I don’t think it’s long enough to intuitively shorten. Maybe [name_f]Lia[/name_f] or [name_f]Melia[/name_f]