Writer Berries: what names did you use on characters when you were a kid?

So I was just rereading some of my old stories I wrote when I was in elementary school (most of them in like third grade, I think), and they’re just short, stupid little stories, but some of the names I made up for them were actually quite clever.

So here’s a fun question for all the writer Berries out there: what names did you use on your story characters when you were a kid? I still have a lot of my old stories saved on my computer so I can refer back to them, but if you don’t have your stories anymore what names can you remember from them?

I wrote a lot of fantasy/princess-y stuff back then. Some of my character names were:

from a story I wrote called “[name_f]Princess[/name_f] of Pettle [name_m]Field[/name_m]”:
[name_f]Kira[/name_f] (I think meant to be prn [name_f]Keera[/name_f]; used for the name of a princess)
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f] (used on an evil queen)

from a story I wrote called “[name_f]Fairy[/name_f] [name_m]Land[/name_m]”:
[name_f]Wendy[/name_f] (animal fairy)
Gwendella (plant fairy)
[name_u]Sonny[/name_u] (sky fairy)
[name_f]Mellony[/name_f] (prn like [name_f]Melanie[/name_f]; fruit fairy)
Linia (like Livia but with an ‘n’; fire fairy)
Darkula (fairy of darkness)

from a story I wrote called “Lagotar Kingdom”:
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] (princess)
Jentica (name I made up for a queen)

[name_f]Jilly[/name_f]

In one story:
[name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_m]Leander[/name_m], [name_u]Leith[/name_u], [name_m]Lemuel[/name_m] (apparently I didn’t know how bad matchy names are)

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a few I remember…

[name_f]Tabatha[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Libby[/name_f]), [name_m]Trent[/name_m], [name_f]Melissa[/name_f], [name_f]Kira[/name_f], Amberlynn, [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Marissa[/name_f], [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f], [name_f]Evangelista[/name_f], Raylyn

Fun question!

The Unicorn [name_u]Story[/name_u]: [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_u]Sammy[/name_u] and [name_f]Casie[/name_f]
COWS: [name_m]Frank[/name_m], [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
Doggone Kennels: (embarrassingly stupid title, yes?): [name_u]Glenn[/name_u], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Laura[/name_f]

One of my main characters was a girl named [name_u]Paisley[/name_u] [name_u]Van[/name_u] Cleef.

It was semi-inspired by the [name_u]Taffy[/name_u] [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] books.

I am still a kid, but when I was younger my taste in names was pretty lackluster: my characters were [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_u]Andrea[/name_u], [name_f]Maxine[/name_f], and [name_m]Austin[/name_m], like the city. Although I did invent one character’s name - Amberlily. So I guess there is hope for me yet.

Lol, because now my characters’ names are like [name_f]Milagros[/name_f], [name_m]Anselm[/name_m], [name_m]Cyprian[/name_m], [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m], and [name_f]Freya[/name_f]…

Fun! I don’t remember many names I used in stories as a kid, they were probably all the names of my friends at the time, lol :slight_smile: However, I do remember one sibling set I created that was a bit over-the-top. All the girls in the family had names of flowers in them and all the boys had names of trees in them. They were supposed to be a rich noble family, who spent their days in stain skirts and velvet breeches while staying at their summer home in [name_f]France[/name_f]. As if that helps explain those names…

Oakington [name_m]Charles[/name_m] (13)
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f] (12)
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] and Birchram [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [pronounced [name_m]Bertram[/name_m]] (twins, 10)
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Elenora[/name_f] (8)
[name_m]Elmer[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] (6)
[name_f]Violetta[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (3)
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (1)

Amazingly, I actually still like some of these combos! [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], in particular, I love. Hmm… Not bad, 12-year-old self, not bad.

Well I’m only a teen! But a few years ago (like 4 years ago) I used to wrote stories about people who were made up and what would happen if they actually had these names (they were based on real people I knew though) and the adventures they had.
But when I was younger I would give them names like [name_f]Christina[/name_f] and [name_m]Kevin[/name_m].

Lies: [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f], [name_m]Harry[/name_m], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] and Grandma [name_f]Amanda[/name_f].
The Interview: [name_f]Veronica[/name_f], [name_u]Ray[/name_u], [name_m]Stuart[/name_m], [name_f]Susan[/name_f].
I Was Hoping She Would Call Me Back: [name_u]Wallace[/name_u], [name_f]Susan[/name_f], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]Connie[/name_u] and [name_m]Richard[/name_m].
Final Death: [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], [name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_f]Janine[/name_f], Sonic Deer, Bobinski.

I don’t remember which stories I used them on, but I distinctly remember Tigra (not tig-rah, tyge-ra) and [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] (nick-named [name_f]Chrissy[/name_f]). I’m a lazy person so I don’t feel like looking through all my old stories, but those two were the ones on the top of my head. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ooh, fun!

Okay so this story was based on a game I used to play with my friend: Idk what I called it
Marria (First syllable rhymes with “car”)
[name_m]Adam[/name_m]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
[name_m]Micael[/name_m]
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]
Ashllie
[name_m]Josh[/name_m]
[name_u]Kendall[/name_u]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_m]Caeden[/name_m]
[name_f]Jewel[/name_f]

I can remember so so so so so many more but these were the main-ish characters

Another story idea: [name_u]Kari[/name_u] and the Orb of [name_m]Power[/name_m]
[name_u]Kari[/name_u]
[name_u]Ryan[/name_u]
[name_m]Mitchell[/name_m]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]

This was one about a girl who went to a school based on how to be a princess and a witch:
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Tara[/name_f]
[name_f]Amira[/name_f]

I called this one “[name_u]Hunter[/name_u]” (I still may write it):
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
[name_f]Honna[/name_f]
[name_u]Hunter[/name_u]
[name_m]Zac[/name_m]

This one was going to be about a band:
[name_m]Brecken[/name_m]
Alissandra “[name_f]Alis[/name_f]”
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]

One called “Guardian [name_u]Angel[/name_u]”:
[name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] (yes, I know, yelch!)
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_f]Trinity[/name_f]
[name_u]Alexis[/name_u]
[name_f]Gracie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]

One called “Specials”:
[name_f]Kaylin[/name_f]
[name_m]Russell[/name_m]
[name_f]Ginger[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]

Yeah, many broken ideas. [name_m]Trust[/name_m] me though, you should be glad I didn’t finish (or even start) some of these. They were BAD!

Okay because I want to see the list of what I can remember, I’ll post all the names from the first book listed (bear with me). The books were basically about a kid spy:

Marria (mc)
[name_m]Adam[/name_m] (twin to Marria)
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f] (older sister)
[name_m]Josh[/name_m] (older brother)
[name_m]Micael[/name_m] (younger brother)
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] (younger sister, twin to Ashllie)
Ashllie (younger sister, twin to [name_u]Ariel[/name_u])
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] (mom)
[name_m]Caeden[/name_m] (dad)
[name_f]Jewel[/name_f] (cousin)
Aunt [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] ([name_f]Caroline[/name_f]'s sister, [name_f]Jewel[/name_f]'s mom)
Uncle [name_m]John[/name_m] ([name_f]Jen[/name_f]'s husband, [name_f]Jewel[/name_f]'s dad)
Aunt [name_f]Polly[/name_f] ([name_f]Caroline[/name_f]'s other sister, [name_u]Auden[/name_u] and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]'s mom)
Uncle [name_m]Peter[/name_m] ([name_f]Polly[/name_f]'s husband, [name_u]Auden[/name_u] and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]'s dad)
[name_u]Auden[/name_u] (cousin, named after my own cousin)
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] (cousin)
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] (cousin from [name_m]Caeden[/name_m]'s side. Idk any other names)
[name_u]Kendall[/name_u] (Marria’s bff, [name_m]Adam[/name_m]'s love interest)
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m] ([name_u]Kendall[/name_u]'s older brother)
[name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] ([name_u]Kendall[/name_u]'s older sister)
[name_u]Ryan[/name_u] ([name_u]Kendall[/name_u]'s younger brother)
[name_f]Kailey[/name_f] (twin to [name_f]Megan[/name_f], [name_u]Kendall[/name_u]'s younger sister)
[name_f]Megan[/name_f] (twin to [name_f]Kailey[/name_f], [name_u]Kendall[/name_u]'s younger sister)
[name_f]Kyel[/name_f] ([name_u]Kendall[/name_u]'s baby brother)
[name_m]Trevor[/name_m] (Marria’s original love interest)
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] ([name_m]Adam[/name_m]'s best friend)
[name_f]Ryann[/name_f] (Marria’s friend, twin to [name_f]Rihanna[/name_f])
[name_f]Rihanna[/name_f] (Marria’s friend, twin to [name_f]Ryann[/name_f])
[name_u]Keelin[/name_u] (older sister to [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] and Kelston)
[name_m]Kingston[/name_m] (twin to Kelston, kid Marria babysits)
Kelston (twin to [name_m]Kingston[/name_m], kid Marria babysits)
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] (man Marria works for)
[name_m]Paul[/name_m] ([name_m]Isaac[/name_m]'s son)
[name_f]Christiana[/name_f] ([name_m]Isaac[/name_m]‘s daughter)
[name_u]Karson[/name_u] (Marria’s social enemy)
[name_f]Tawny[/name_f] (girl Marria trains)
[name_u]Courtney[/name_u] (Marria’s future daughter, twin to [name_u]Riley[/name_u])
[name_u]Riley[/name_u] (Marria’s future son, twin to [name_u]Courtney[/name_u])
[name_m]Jackson[/name_m] (Marria’s future son, twins’ younger brother)
[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] “Dria” (Marria’s future daughter, youngest sister)
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] ([name_u]Kendall[/name_u] and [name_m]Adam[/name_m]'s future daughter)

I just now realized how many sets of twins I had… wow.

well these would be the names of some characters I used in some of my first stories.

The border of [name_f]France[/name_f] and [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_m]York[/name_m]:
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] (a queen)
[name_f]Elvy[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Tarry[/name_m] (twins)
[name_f]Therese[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelina[/name_f] (a princess)
Criminal [name_f]Brandy[/name_f] (he is a talking skeleton who is neither dead nor alive)
[name_m]Grantland[/name_m]
[name_f]Adrianna[/name_f] (another queen and the sister of [name_f]Victoria[/name_f])

Other story that I don’t think I ever got around to titling:
Yera
[name_f]Zina[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]?

Of course, I’m still a kid, but I’m going to go through my old stuff. Cue the embarrassment.

Most of these don’t have titles. They’re also fanfictions. Actually kill me now. I’m only going to list my original characters.

Unnamed 1:
[name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_u]Noel[/name_u] (main character)
[name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] (roommate)

Unnamed 2:
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] (main character)
[name_f]Lena[/name_f] (younger sister)
[name_f]Naia[/name_f] ([name_u]Harper[/name_u]'s best friend)
[name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] (bully)
[name_f]Lea[/name_f] McGuinness (bully)
[name_f]Cassie[/name_f] [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] (bully)

My Life as a Teenage Werewolf (oh my God why):
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] [name_m]Hart[/name_m] “[name_f]Mia[/name_f]” (main character)

Unnamed 3:
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_u]Avery[/name_u] (main character)
[name_f]Marie[/name_f] Lassiter (her aunt)
[name_f]Hollie[/name_f] [name_u]Avery[/name_u] (her little sister)
[name_f]Autumn[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] ****** (based on a real person)
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Hart[/name_m] ([name_f]Delilah[/name_f]'s grandmother)

War on Broadway:
[name_f]Lacey[/name_f] [name_m]McDonald[/name_m] (main character)
[name_u]Nick[/name_u] (best friend/boyfriend)
[name_f]Marie[/name_f] (best friend/[name_u]Nick[/name_u]'s sister)
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f] (roommate)
[name_u]Casey[/name_u] [name_m]Venturi[/name_m] ([name_f]Lacey[/name_f]'s aunt - oh God I just realized they rhymed)
[name_f]Lena[/name_f] ([name_f]Lacey[/name_f]'s mother, [name_u]Casey[/name_u]'s sister)

Unnamed 4:
[name_f]Rebekah[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] “Bex” [name_m]Stanford[/name_m] (main character)
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] “[name_u]Vic[/name_u]” [name_m]Stanford[/name_m] ([name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]'s little sister)
[name_f]Alyson[/name_f] “[name_f]Aly[/name_f]” [name_m]Stanford[/name_m] ([name_f]Rebekah[/name_f] & [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]'s mom)
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] ([name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]'s best friend)
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] ([name_f]Anna[/name_f]'s little sister)
[name_u]Reese[/name_u] (bully)
[name_f]Felicia[/name_f] ([name_u]Reese[/name_u]'s friend)
[name_f]Alea[/name_f] [name_m]Stanford[/name_m] ([name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]'s cousin)
[name_u]Taylor[/name_u] ([name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]'s friend)
[name_m]Scott[/name_m] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] & [name_f]Darci[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] ([name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]'s future kids, twins)

Unnamed 5:
[name_u]Raven[/name_u] [name_f]Honor[/name_f] “[name_u]Ray[/name_u]” [name_m]Lowe[/name_m] (main character)

Unnamed 6:
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] Enchante [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] (main character)

Unnamed 7:
[name_f]Miri[/name_f] Albray (main character)
[name_u]Darien[/name_u] [name_f]Savine[/name_f] (main character)
[name_u]Arden[/name_u] (government person)
Binta (government official)
(I might still write this. It’s a post-apocalyptic universe where the “Specials”, people with supernatural abilities, are enlisted into a special part of the [name_m]Army[/name_m]. I think I wrote it after reading Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, to be honest.)

In The End:
[name_f]Lacey[/name_f] [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] (main character)

I’m not even close to done but that’s all I’m going to do here, lol.

All I remember from my old stories is that almost every character was named [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_u]Sam[/name_u], or [name_u]Alex[/name_u]…

cringe So bland…

When I was about 11, I wrote a story about a girl who sneaks her friend on vacation, or something. Those characters were [name_f]Carly[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], and [name_f]Emmah[/name_f]. The summer before 8th grade we had a writing project in which I named twin sisters [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]. I’ve also made up stories with characters called [name_m]Jason[/name_m], [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] creative, right?

Middle School Diaries (written by 4th grade me, inspired by Dear Dumb Diary series): [name_f]Gina[/name_f], [name_u]Rex[/name_u], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_m]Todd[/name_m], and [name_f]Adele[/name_f]
Goodbye [name_u]Glen[/name_u] (5th grade): [name_f]Candace[/name_f], [name_u]Glen[/name_u], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
Unicone Mountain (6th grade… no, “unicone” is not a typo…): [name_m]Alfonzo[/name_m], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], Doom, and [name_f]Tibby[/name_f]

Odd name choices…
I was a weird kid. Now I’m a weird teen.

That is so pretty. Mind if I steal it for one of my characters?

[name_f]Haylie[/name_f] & [name_f]Maria[/name_f] were the main characters in the only book I ever finished. I also used the name [name_u]True[/name_u].

Okay. I actually found more stories I wrote:
Untitled:
[name_u]Lynn[/name_u] “Lynnie” and [name_f]Katie[/name_f] (twins, main characters), [name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_f]Christina[/name_f], [name_f]Juliana[/name_f], [name_f]Mariana[/name_f], [name_f]Luciana[/name_f], [name_f]Cammie[/name_f], [name_f]Amilia[/name_f], and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]

Sisters:
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] (sisters, main character), [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]Vince[/name_m] (girl character…), [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], and [name_m]Henry[/name_m]

The Family:
[name_m]George[/name_m] (father), [name_f]Suzie[/name_f] (mother), [name_f]Mona[/name_f], [name_f]Rita[/name_f], and [name_f]Annie[/name_f] (sisters)

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]:
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] (main character), [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m], [name_m]Rob[/name_m] (brothers), Cath, [name_f]Arista[/name_f], [name_u]Penny[/name_u], [name_f]Maddie[/name_f], and [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] (sisters)

The [name_m]New[/name_m] Girl:
[name_f]Myra[/name_f] (main character), [name_f]Daniela[/name_f] “[name_u]Danny[/name_u]”, [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_u]Maxie[/name_u], [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f], [name_m]Rocco[/name_m], [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_f]Flower[/name_f] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f]

The 9 Sisters:
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_u]Jamie[/name_u], [name_u]Jackie[/name_u], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Jenny[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_u]Jessie[/name_u], and [name_u]Josie[/name_u]

Blondes:
[name_f]Gigi[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

Like I said, some odd name choices

Okay. I actually found more stories I wrote:
Untitled:
[name_u]Lynn[/name_u] “Lynnie” and [name_f]Katie[/name_f] (twins, main characters), [name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_f]Christina[/name_f], [name_f]Juliana[/name_f], [name_f]Mariana[/name_f], [name_f]Luciana[/name_f], [name_f]Cammie[/name_f], [name_f]Amilia[/name_f], and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]

Sisters:
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] (sisters, main character), [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]Vince[/name_m] (girl character…), [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], and [name_m]Henry[/name_m]

The Family:
[name_m]George[/name_m] (father), [name_f]Suzie[/name_f] (mother), [name_f]Mona[/name_f], [name_f]Rita[/name_f], and [name_f]Annie[/name_f] (sisters)

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]:
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] (main character), [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m], [name_m]Rob[/name_m] (brothers), Cath, [name_f]Arista[/name_f], [name_u]Penny[/name_u], [name_f]Maddie[/name_f], and [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] (sisters)

The [name_m]New[/name_m] Girl:
[name_f]Myra[/name_f] (main character), [name_f]Daniela[/name_f] “[name_u]Danny[/name_u]”, [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_u]Maxie[/name_u], [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f], [name_m]Rocco[/name_m], [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_f]Flower[/name_f] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f]

The 9 Sisters:
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_u]Jamie[/name_u], [name_u]Jackie[/name_u], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Jenny[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_u]Jessie[/name_u], and [name_u]Josie[/name_u]

Blondes:
[name_f]Gigi[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

Like I said, some odd name choices