Writer Berries: what names did you use on characters when you were a kid?

I don’t remember them all, and most of them I typed on old computers I no longer have access to, but I remember writing a story about a Revolutionary War-era kid named [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] (who had a huge family, but I don’t remember their names), who was the son of a preacher, and about a girl named [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] who got kidnapped in the woods. Also a teenage girl named [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f], but I don’t remember the other characters? I’m not sure how far up to go here; I did a series about twins named [name_f]Haylie[/name_f] and [name_f]Hallie[/name_f] once (with siblings [name_f]Gabriella[/name_f], [name_f]Kelli[/name_f], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]… and I forgot the other two. :slight_smile: Her mom was Antoinetta, but I don’t remember what her dad was), and a Civil War-era story about a [name_f]Hope[/name_f] (who freed slaves under her father’s nose!) and her best friend, [name_f]Jerusha[/name_f]. [name_f]Jerusha[/name_f] had a brother and [name_f]Hope[/name_f] eventually had a northern husband, but I really don’t remember what their names were, either. :slight_smile:

Oh my… I don’t remember most of them, but I do remember on story having twins called [name_f]Celia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]. I was slightly obsessed with [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] and would use it at every chance I got, [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] too. I also used [name_f]Tia[/name_f] and [name_f]Bonita[/name_f] a lot. The only boys name I remember was [name_m]Roland[/name_m], oh, and I think [name_u]Rowan[/name_u].

I don’t remember them all, but I remember one where it was about a debutante named [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] called [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and I’m kinda sad now I used that for a character because I like it so much I might’ve used it for a kid! Might still use it in the middle/nickname spot

There’s a number of them I don’t remember, but when I was five I wrote a whole series of short stories about two kids named Mik & Mak (yes, that was the spelling), who went to the fair, or rode the bus, or similar activities that would be exciting to just about only five year olds.
In 5th grade, I wrote a story about a girl named Ambrielle, I think I got that name out of a catalog, who had just moved and became a sort of amateur detective. And around the same time was a story about a girl named [name_f]Carly[/name_f] who was the president of a secret society at her school. In 7th grade, I wrote a story based off a writing promp in class that started off at a court hearing and then recapped the events that led the main character there, their names were [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_u]Randy[/name_u], [name_m]Mike[/name_m]; not particularly creative, but fit the setting well (middle age men in the midwest during the present day).

[name_f]Trinity[/name_f]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u]
[name_m]Guy[/name_m]

[name_m]Darwin[/name_m]
[name_u]Rex[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]

Aleana (Eh-lane-a)

[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] (a few different occurrences)

I dont remember the rest, but oddly enough I still really like all the boys name (except [name_u]Rex[/name_u] which is just ok)

I have to rack my mind to remember…
When I was little I just wrote silly little stories in my scrapbook about animals - I can recall a skewbald horse and a yellow chameleon coming into them - but I’m not sure they had names.

And then when I was nine or ten came my first typed-up stories, which I’m still writing new, revised versions of and the names are the same and pretty sensible.
There is an exception to that, though; the villains in fantasy…Grimea and Dorgus and Grossiana and Grotesquus and such. Dorgus still exists in the story, actually.

So I didn’t know many names when I was younger…
Girl-- for a girl
Boy-- for a boy
[name_u]Storm[/name_u]-- for a girl in about twenty million stories
[name_f]Amy[/name_f]-- for my stuffed rabbit and for another million stories
[name_f]Shadow[/name_f]-- for a boy, probably the most creative I got without directly stealing from Pokémon or something.

Now, of course, I’m on the other end of the spectrum and won’t use the same name twice ans it HAS to be unique, and I collect name books.

The [name_u]Logan[/name_u] Family:

Parents: [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] (I think!) [name_u]Logan[/name_u] & [name_f]Marcia[/name_f] Labelle-Duere– They divorced, and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] later married a woman named Lestra [name_m]Black[/name_m], who was basically [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] Lestrange from [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m].

[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] [name_f]Venus[/name_f]– she had a different last name. It ended in -dottir (because I couldn’t spell -dotter). Although she was the oldest, she did not initially appear in my stories.
[name_f]Samantha[/name_f] [name_u]Vale[/name_u]– sometimes she went by [name_u]Sam[/name_u]. She was the “trouble child.” It was a messed-up family!
[name_m]Maximillian[/name_m]– can’t remember his middle name!
[name_f]Ana[/name_f] [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] [name_f]Constance[/name_f] (sometimes I called her [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]) & [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] (twins)– [name_f]Ana[/name_f] was me, essentially. [name_m]Hence[/name_m] the four names.
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] & [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] (twins)– AKA [name_f]Kathy[/name_f] and [name_u]Mattie[/name_u]. I got the names from [name_u]Magic[/name_u] Tree House and [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl, respectively.
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] Acanthylene (girl) & [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] (twins)– I got [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] from an architect I read about in school. Acanthylene I made up in a [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f]-esque combination. No idea why, but I got it in my head back then that [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] was a girl’s name…
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m]– he was never that important, because [name_f]Ana[/name_f] accidentally killed him. :expressionless:

[name_f]Ana[/name_f] was my main character and alter ego. Her best friends were [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] (who I didn’t name– this was my best friend [name_m]IRL[/name_m]'s character), Calpurnia “[name_f]Callie[/name_f]” and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Joya[/name_f] “[name_f]Joy[/name_f].”

There were probably more children. My stories about the Logans, were never very consistent, because they spanned more than six years of role-playing and naming and writing in diaries. I am looking at those diaries right now, but I can’t find some stuff… The whole made-up planet they lived on, Zuba, was pretty much an alternate-reality [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]— [name_f]Ana[/name_f] being a female [name_m]Harry[/name_m].

I might post again on this thread, just because it’s really neat to look back at these journals, but this one family has exhausted me!

I’m a teen writer and this is my go to sight for names :smiley:
I used all of the weirdest sounding names. So weird I can’t remember them. I think I went through a Aeila phase with Ay sounds at the beginning. I also loved flower names for fairies.

I’m still a dreamy kid with a lot of imagination.
In a very old story (the book I’m writing is loosely based on it), a girl, which developed to be my MC, was called Lonne. Her younger sisters were called [name_f]Lorie[/name_f] “Lo” and [name_f]Leanna[/name_f] “[name_u]Cloud[/name_u]”(a revolting sibset :D) Also I had characters named [name_u]Nikki[/name_u], [name_f]Katrina[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] “Snowflake”, [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_u]Claude[/name_u] and [name_u]London[/name_u] (the school principal).
My earliest story (I made it up when I was 4) was called something like “Weird creatures” and the characters wore names of 4 Russian cities: Moscow, St. Petersburg, Chelyabinsk and Ekaterinburg the villain. Sounds ridiculous to me now!

[name_f]Portia[/name_f]
[name_u]Courtney[/name_u]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m]
[name_u]Carter[/name_u]
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]
[name_m]Matthew[/name_m]
[name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Amanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]

Not sure how old I was when I made up that sibset:

LN: Vogt
[name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] “Wolle”, 11
[name_u]Gabriele[/name_u], ca. 10
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] “[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]”, ca. 8
[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], ca. 5
[name_m]Wilhelm[/name_m], newborn
and their cousins, [name_m]Jakob[/name_m] and [name_f]Lilly[/name_f], ca. 9-12

later when Wolle goes to boarding school he meets:
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] Ratke, with baby brother [name_m]Zacharias[/name_m]
[name_m]Lukas[/name_m] [name_m]Petri[/name_m], with younger siblings [name_f]Laura[/name_f] and [name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_m]Hans[/name_m]-[name_m]Jakob[/name_m], with older brother [name_m]Karl[/name_m]-[name_m]Otto[/name_m] and younger brother [name_u]Jan[/name_u]-Niklas (no LN)
[name_m]Timotheus[/name_m], with older brother [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and baby brother [name_m]Theodor[/name_m] (no LN)
twins [name_f]Aleksi[/name_f] (m) and Tarja Feuerbach
[name_f]Aoife[/name_f], with younger sister [name_f]Laoise[/name_f] who joins the school a year later (no LN)
Sturmius, a boy in [name_f]Laoise[/name_f]'s class

They probably all had lastnames but I forgot.

I’m still a teenberry, so…

These names I remember from stories in elementary school:
The Most Quick-witted Dog in the World: (that title drives me insane!) [name_m]Rocky[/name_m], [name_f]Marianne[/name_f], Fendle (not sure how that was supposed to be pronounced…)
When Dogs [name_m]Rule[/name_m]: -(I guess I really liked dogs)- [name_m]Rusty[/name_m], [name_m]Job[/name_m] [prn with a long ‘o’], [name_f]Catalina[/name_f]
Kayak: -(this one somehow got me a prize in third grade)- [name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m], [name_m]Gino[/name_m], [name_m]Arnold[/name_m]

Random names I remember (not from those stories): Rathina, [name_u]Perry[/name_u], Shiver (it was something to do with penguins…), [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], [name_f]Kiki[/name_f], Curly (I might have meant [name_f]Carly[/name_f]… I can’t really tell).

That was interesting. I haven’t looked through that stuff, ever.
My naming skills might have improved (and everything else that comes with writing stories), but I am still just as bad at titles as I was then!

This is a great question! I can only remember 2 names off the top of my head: [name_u]Tannis[/name_u] and [name_f]Meg[/name_f]. [name_u]Tannis[/name_u] was a character in a TV show and I thought the name was so cool. [name_f]Meg[/name_f] felt like an edgy name, and I think (??) I took it from [name_f]Meg[/name_f] White of the White Stripes.

I’ll have to pull out my old notebooks!

Here are the ones I can remember off the top of my head:
The Pets Who Could Talk:
LN: Grimm (I was obsessed with the Brothers Grimm at the time)
[name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Indi[/name_f], [name_u]James[/name_u] & [name_f]Paige[/name_f] <-- Sibset
Lulu, Jasmine, Cooper <-- Their pets

Jacinta and the Gold Puppy
LN: Melron
Jacinta & Max <-- Sibset
Goldie <-- Jacinta’s puppy

Garnet the Circus Horse
LN: May
Keely, Ally-Jane ‘Ally’, Jamie & Luke <-- Sibset
Sara <-- Mum
Garnet, Clover & Blossom <-- Horses

Untitled Story:
Blossom, Fae & Tulip <-- Sibset

Dear Diary:
Alayah <-- Main Character

Secret Dragons:
Isla <-- Main Character
Oliver Wilson <-- Annoying kid
Mila, Hazel & James <-- Oliver’s siblings
Mina, Aunty Midge, Lottie, Will, Chen <-- Secret Dragons group

Daisy the Dolphin: (first EVER written story - I was about 6)
Daisy & Dessa the dolphins <-- Sisters
Lizzie & James <-- Daisy and Dessa’s parents
Sabina the seahorse
Ondina the octopus
Felipa the fantail fish
Ruby the rainbow fish

Sophie the Seahorse: (Daisy the Dolphin sequel, also written when I was 6)
Sophie the seahorse <-- Main character
Olivia the orange octopus
Felicity the fantail fish
Ruby & Bianca the rainbow fish <-- Sisters
Daisy & Dessa the dolphins <-- Sisters

[name_f]Hailey[/name_f] Boomer and [name_u]Nikki[/name_u] [name_m]Raymond[/name_m] were best friends in a kind of princess-and-pauper situation I wrote when I was about 10, I believe.

[name_f]Coraline[/name_f] and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] Vanderbilt were from a horror story about a mysterious necklace found in a Victorian mansion that I started when I was around 10 or 11 and abandoned shortly thereafter.

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] were from a short story I wrote when I was 12-ish, named after my favorite historical women. I’m currently using [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] for something totally different, haha!

And the villains were oftentimes named [name_f]Kristina[/name_f] or [name_f]Maria[/name_f] after some girls I knew and disliked, naturally, lol.

[name_f]Marcy[/name_f] is the only name I remember pre-sixth grade. Then sixth grade and I have: [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_m]Drake[/name_m], [name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_u]Danny[/name_u], and [name_f]Fannie[/name_f] ([name_f]Franny[/name_f]? I can’t remember :P). Seventh/Eighth gets into a story I would love love love to rewrite someday but the plot needs major work: [name_f]Trinity[/name_f], [name_u]Andy[/name_u], [name_u]Josie[/name_u], [name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_u]Fallon[/name_u], (here come the weird names - intentionally weird, mind you) [name_u]Falcon[/name_u], Rasp, [name_u]Berry[/name_u], Bulldog, Akita, and P.J. And then let’s do ninth/tenth for funzies: Coriander, [name_m]Chason[/name_m], Lyelle (weird fantasy-ish story) / [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] “Jolly” ([name_m]Captain[/name_m] Hook origin story lol never finished that but I want to).

Um, let’s see. I had one story with [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_m]Dan[/name_m], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], Dr. [name_u]Vesper[/name_u], [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], and [name_f]Annalee[/name_f]. One had [name_f]Shanna[/name_f], [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] (g), [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Ann[/name_f] (intentionally the same), Thadiyus ([name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m]?), [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], [name_f]Cinnamon[/name_f], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] (g), Faelie (fay-lee), and [name_f]Dixie[/name_f]. Another had Phobos nn [name_f]Pippi[/name_f], Daemos, Sinope, [name_f]Yue[/name_f], Puella nn [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_m]Iggy[/name_m], and Stultus (I think some of them were named after moons and some were derived from latin words from google translate?). Wow. This makes me feel so much better about my current character names.

Alright so I’m thirteen and I started writing when I was five, maybe six. A used a lot of names (back then I wrote fanfiction but I added my own characters, made Harry Potter evil, etc), but my favorite was Maggie. I loved that name, for whatever reason. I still like the name but I’m not sure I would use it for a story. This was fun to think about.

Teen writer, dancer, singer, student
Girls: Mason, Aveline, Thea, Irene, Maeve, Isabelline
Boys: Asher, James, David, Mateo, Rafael, Henry

Oh man, do I have a bunch of stories!
The first story I can remember coming up with had two main characters whose names I actually can’t remember, but I do remember a minor character named [name_f]Katie[/name_f].
I came up with a story when I was in third grade (I was convinced I would write these books and that I would become a famous author) where the main character was named [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u] and she had siblings [name_f]Destiny[/name_f], [name_u]Avery[/name_u], and [name_u]Blake[/name_u]. She had a boyfriend named [name_m]Erik[/name_m] and a classmate named [name_m]Dominic[/name_m].
Another story of mine was written in fifth grade, and it was about twins [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_f]Charity[/name_f] (ln Heritage). [name_m]Charles[/name_m] had a friend named [name_u]Noah[/name_u] who died. I wrote a story around the same time with characters [name_f]Jessalyn[/name_f], [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_f]Mae[/name_f], and I believe [name_u]Sam[/name_u]? I can’t remember!
I started a story in eighth grade with the characters [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and [name_u]James[/name_u], who had a friend named [name_u]Carmen[/name_u]. [name_u]Carmen[/name_u]'s sister was named [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f]. Not the most flowing sibset ever!