Writer Berries: what names did you use on characters when you were a kid?

[name_m]Man[/name_m]! I love this question! It really puts a smile on my face. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom saved a notebook for me. In this notebook, there are stories I wrote when I was in the first grade. So… six or seven years old. [name_f]Every[/name_f] story had an animal character named [name_m]Juan[/name_m]. “Once upon a time there was a camel. His name was [name_m]Juan[/name_m]”. “Once upon a time there was a frog. His name was [name_m]Juan[/name_m]”. “Once upon a time there was a puppy…” Guess what you guys? “His name was [name_m]Juan[/name_m]”. Hysterical.

I mean… I am still a kid, but names I used a couple of years ago were pretty much all colour names - [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_u]Skye[/name_u], you get the point - and I used [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] a lot. I also tried creating a story with a family where there were a ridiculous (to me now, anyway) amount of children, admittedly it was like four sets of twins or something, and every. Single. One. Of. Them. Had a ‘weather name’. Like I literally called three of them [name_u]Cloud[/name_u] (the main character), [name_u]Rain[/name_u] and Lightning. I was seriously struggling to come up with what I considered ‘good’ names.
And then I abandoned that story. Because it was terrible.

@elenajeanine I think the first characters I ever made up were triplets called [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_f]Martina[/name_f] and [name_m]Martino[/name_m] so you’re in the clear :smiley: At least you tried to hide the matchy-ness!

I apparently liked quite simple names when I was a teen. Names I used in stories included [name_f]Jenna[/name_f], [name_f]Tess[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Kiera[/name_f], etc. All very boring to me know.

Oh god, I’m not far out of childhood, but the memories still remain :smiley:
Everyone was called [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] or [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] or [name_f]Milly[/name_f] or [name_f]Bella[/name_f], basic Af I know. But I did have some more tasteful ones, I had a [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], and A [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]. Lets be real, no, I would never use those names now. I like to think my writing has improved like my character naming but I think that’s false.

I’ll just share the ones from the stories I best remember, a mix of fantasy and realism:
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
Sruthi
[name_f]Christina[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f]
[name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]
[name_f]Arwen[/name_f]
[name_u]True[/name_u]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Max[/name_u]
[name_m]Benji[/name_m]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] names weren’t quite as bad as the stories themselves, but I have a lot of unfinished work from third-fifth grade, mostly fantasy with some contemporary.

Some of my more memorable names:
three princesses named Lyssilia, Lauressa and Adylisse [name_f]Adhara[/name_f] (and in the same story [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_m]Greene[/name_m] and [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] [name_u]Sloane[/name_u])
Shuriken (he was some kind of freedom fighter)
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_m]Rolan[/name_m] not only in the same story, but love interests
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]/[name_f]Ashlyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Aisling[/name_f] used in three or four different stories, all in different time periods
Rakiiz
[name_f]Destiny[/name_f] [name_f]Starr[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f] St. [name_f]Claire[/name_f], which still I still like the sound of but cannot think of a circumstance in which this name would fit
Overall, I made up a lot of my names and did not think about meaning at all in the ones that already existed.

1 Like

Omg you guys all have such good names. I used such common names. There was [name_u]Logan[/name_u] and [name_u]Chase[/name_u] and MATT (in a FANTASY story). There was [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] and [name_f]Destiny[/name_f] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] names have gotten better once I realized I could look up names on the internet! :joy:

oooh I don’t remember when this was but it was actually pretty recent…I wanted to use Alvarez for my girl character and have quadruplets [name_f]Callista[/name_f], [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], [name_m]Caledon[/name_m], and [name_m]Callaghan[/name_m]. Yes, really.

1 Like

I had some pretty random name obsessions. A few I still like, but others… Anyway, the stories I actually wrote when I was a kid were…interesting.
[name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u]
[name_f]Hattie[/name_f] (Which I still like)
[name_f]Lina[/name_f] (Pronounced [name_f]Line[/name_f]-uh, like [name_m]Linus[/name_m])
[name_f]Gail[/name_f]
[name_f]Marsha[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
Kofina & [name_f]Korella[/name_f] (Really!)

1 Like

I like [name_f]Callista[/name_f] and [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] together!

1 Like

ok me and my sister [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] had this game we made up that I tried to turn into a series of comic books. We called the game [name_m]Palace[/name_m] Cats.

The human characters were:
the [name_m]King[/name_m]: Kingy
the [name_f]Queen[/name_f]: [name_f]Queenie[/name_f]
the 10 or 11 year old princess: [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] “Abgab”
the 8 or 9 year old princess: [name_f]Emily[/name_f] “[name_f]Em[/name_f] [name_f]Em[/name_f]”
the palace servants: Servo and Serviv; Maid 1, Maid 2, and so on (now that I think about it like nobody except the princesses and cats had names)

We held maid trials to see which maid would be the queen’s new helper and all the contestants were so happy. They were all us btw

and all the cats
Uncle Bulldozer
Snowflake “Mommycat”
Mr. Huggie
Panda [name_m]Bear[/name_m]
Grain
[name_m]Pedro[/name_m] “Grumpar” and his brother [name_m]Pablo[/name_m]
[name_m]Bob[/name_m] (he was Mystic [name_m]Bob[/name_m], Sherrif [name_m]Bob[/name_m], Maleficent [name_m]Bob[/name_m], Mysterious [name_m]Bob[/name_m], and many others)

and the kittens:
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_u]Strong[/name_u]
Bulldozer
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] Butterscotch (Vile Butt as an affectionate nickname yes really :laughing:)
Blackie
[name_m]Tom[/name_m]
Jumpy

and the dogs:
Mr. Funny
[name_m]Bob[/name_m]

I am cringing and laughing so hard right now!!

3 Likes