Writers' Quick Poll Thread

What should be her official name?

Description: The character is a twelve year old girl, she has blonde medium-length hair and fair skin with a big pointy nose, she is a bit tall and is overweight with a enormously big belly. She wears a long sleeved red orange shirt and blue jeans.

She is a twelve-year-old girl who is the unofficial leader of her group of friends Oliver, Justin, Peter, Barry, and Miranda, and is the voice of reason and the most mature and serious in the group. She likes to be in charge and to keep her friends in line when things go wrong or get out of hand, but she is helpful to them whenever they needed. She is a good at coming up with the plans and solving problems. Furthermore, she is nice, kind, smart, rational, down to earth, practical, strong, intelligent, assertive, clever, levelheaded, brave, confident, serious, easygoing, loyal, straightforward, independent, wise, witty and sarcastic though she can be also a bit mean, bossy, cynical, critical, pessimistic, moody, selfish, stubborn and blunt at times, she is also known to have a short-tempered and can overreact to every little thing that goes wrong. While she thinks she’s above her friends’ immature behavior, but she can act like them. She has a love of books and likes to quote them whenever she’s trying to prove a point. She also a part of the volleyball team at her middle school.

• Lauren
  • Laura

0 voters

frost gives off middle child energy, and they definitely have an older sister. i love frost, jem, and rue as a sibset.

1 Like

What should be her color scheme?

Lauren is a twelve-year-old girl who is the unofficial leader of her group of friends Oliver, Justin, Peter, Barry, and Miranda, and is the voice of reason and the most mature and serious in the group. She likes to be in charge and to keep her friends in line when things go wrong or get out of hand, but she is helpful to them whenever they needed. She is a good at coming up with the plans and solving problems. Furthermore, she is nice, kind, smart, rational, down to earth, practical, strong, intelligent, assertive, clever, levelheaded, brave, confident, serious, easygoing, loyal, straightforward, independent, wise, witty and sarcastic though she can be also a bit mean, bossy, cynical, critical, pessimistic, moody, selfish, stubborn and blunt at times, she is also known to have a short-tempered and can overreact to every little thing that goes wrong. While she thinks she’s above her friends’ immature behavior, but she can act like them. She has a love of books and likes to quote them whenever she’s trying to prove a point. She also a part of the volleyball team at her middle school.

0 voters

These are all sibset questions for different (fantasy) stories.

1. Is Ruby, Jasper (girl-boy twins) and Esme Belmont a good sibset?
  • Yes
  • No (any advice on what I should change?)

0 voters

1. Is Aislinn, Liadain (girl-girl twins) and Lorcan Quirke a good sibset (the meanings of their names are fairly important to the story, but I could maybe find others)
  • Yes
  • No (same thing, suggest changes!)

0 voters

1. Lian, Rilla and Niko (girl-boy twins) Irving? (again, meanings matter)
  • Yes
  • No (advice?)

0 voters

They all make sense, but in the last one [name_u]Lian[/name_u] and [name_f]Rilla[/name_f] feel more like twin names than [name_f]Rilla[/name_f] and [name_u]Niko[/name_u], if that makes sense.

2 Likes

I agree

1 Like

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] is a bit of the odd one out because [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] are not only both word names, but even both stones.

1 Like

If you want to go for tenuous links, [name_f]Esme[/name_f] can, quote, ‘be considered a derivative of the Spanish name [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f], which means ‘emerald’.’ All three having obvious word/stone names would have seemed way too matchy, and then [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] having more blatant links to stones is because they’re twins, I suppose. (didn’t put all that much thought into it, really, I will admit!) I get what you mean, obviously, and yeah, it’s definitely a bit of an odd one out if you look at her older siblings’ names, but that’s where it came from if you were wondering, since both of the other sets were – to me – clearly linked one way or another, whether it be Irish origin or names I found on a different naming site to apparently have [name_m]German[/name_m] origins alongside others.

2 Likes

What should this character’s name be?

Summary

Description: She is stubborn, street smart, and will do anything for the people she loves. She is small, fast, nimble, and a good climber. She lives with just her grandpa and since they are poor she steals, unknowingly to her grandpa, in order to keep them alive

• Aine (awn-ya)
  • Aeryn (pronounced like Erin)
  • Fiadh (Fee-a)
  • Enya

0 voters

I hope this doesn’t overwhelm you by adding another option but when I saw her I thought immediately of the name Aoife!!! (I chose [name_f]Aine[/name_f] though, but [name_f]Fiadh[/name_f] could also fit!)

2 Likes

What sign should be her birthday based on her personality?

Lauren is a twelve-year-old girl who is the unofficial leader of her group of friends Oliver, Justin, Peter, Barry, and Miranda, and is the voice of reason and the most mature and serious in the group. She likes to be in charge and to keep her friends in line when things go wrong or get out of hand, but she is helpful to them whenever they needed. She is a good at coming up with the plans and solving problems. Furthermore, she is nice, kind, smart, rational, down to earth, practical, strong, intelligent, assertive, clever, levelheaded, brave, confident, serious, easygoing, loyal, straightforward, independent, wise, witty and sarcastic though she can be also a bit mean, bossy, cynical, critical, pessimistic, moody, selfish, stubborn and blunt at times, she is also known to have a short-tempered and can overreact to every little thing that goes wrong. While she thinks she’s above her friends’ immature behavior, but she can act like them. She has a love of books and likes to quote them whenever she’s trying to prove a point. She also a part of the volleyball team at her middle school.

• Aries
  • Taurus
  • Gemini
  • Cancer
  • Leo
  • Virgo
  • Libra
  • Scorpio
  • Sagittarius
  • Capricorn
  • Aquarius
  • Pisces

0 voters

i’m writing a story and i’m unsure which perspective i should write it in so hence the polls :sweat_smile:

in general which pov do you prefer to write in?
  • first person
  • second person
  • third person

0 voters

in general which pov do you prefer to read?
  • first person
  • second person
  • third person

0 voters

hmm, i feel like this is a tricky one because it relies so much on the story you want to tell and the mood you want to get across. second person feels much more ~ psychological thriller ~, while third person and first could fit anything, really. i recommend trying out different points of views and different tenses (present, past…) to see which one fits the best. it’s not fun to get halfway into a draft and realize you’re writing in the wrong POV!

best of luck!

2 Likes

I’m not helpful voting for first and third person on both lol but it’s completely true! It really just depends on the story and your narrator. For instance, I have two main projects right now and I use a different POV for both.

In my first person story, the narrator just has the most fantastic voice and she sounds so similar to my writing style (sarcastic, witty, casual, a little sassy) that it just felt natural to write it in her first person POV. I think her voice adds something to the story and gives it more spice and spunk.

In my third person story, I have four characters who trade telling the story so it’s much easier to have an omniscient narrator than it would be to create four unique, distinct voices (although, since the narrator has access to their thoughts, there are differences in how each section is told). It would’ve been confusing and messy to put this story in first person because of the differing perspectives.

I agree with the PP that if you’re stuck, you should try writing a couple chapters in different perspectives. In my experience though, the right POV comes pretty naturally, so I would also say to trust your gut on the matter because it probably won’t lead you astray!

4 Likes

I like first person POV for YA, third for everything else.

1 Like

I’m writing a fantasy book at the moment and created a whole new world for this. I would like to know which of the names from my fantasy world you like the most. :smiley:

• Maalira
  • Hadrian
  • Lux
  • Inara
  • Soleia
  • Caliban
  • Seiya
  • Zuriel
  • Fiorel
  • Palesa

0 voters

Which name would you give to this character I made on artbreeder?
He lives in a small Pennsylvania town where he works as a welder. He’s very protective, often getting into fights to defend the people he loves, but has a gentle side and will do a lot to help out his neighbors.
I was going to name him Grady, but after making him on art breeder, I’m considering Joseph. Last name Cross eitherway.

• Grady
  • Joseph

0 voters

Would it be entirely too petty for 16 year old MC to become a camp counselor at the summer camp her dad is running, all because she wants to prove herself to her dad, especially against dad’s favorite student who is also a counselor?

• Yes, too petty
  • No
  • Maybe so, if she’s generally immature
  • Need more context

0 voters

What should be her name?

Description: The character is a twelve year old Italian-American girl, she has long dark brown hair and peach skin, she is average height and is overweight with a enormously fat belly. She wears a magenta long sleeved shirt and blue jeans

She is a young twelve year old girl who lives in a nice suburban neighborhood in Michigan. She likes to ride her bike, hang out with her friends, listening to music, roller skate, taking photography and playing sports. She is best described as nice, kind, calm, easygoing, clever, friendly, helpful, levelheaded, honest, confident, bright, loyal, caring, understanding, practical, smart, down to earth, mature, sweet, responsible, polite, compassionate, witty, and independent, even though she never comes off as mean or harsh, but it also can be cynical, sarcastic and a bit blunt. She goes to Junior High, she is a part of choir and is a part of the girls’ volleyball team.

• Brenda
  • Beverly
  • Rose
  • Sophie
  • Margot

0 voters

What date should be her birthday based on her personality?

She is a young twelve year old girl who lives in a nice suburban neighborhood in Michigan. She likes to ride her bike, hang out with her friends, listening to music, roller skate, taking photography and playing sports. She is best described as nice, kind, calm, easygoing, clever, friendly, helpful, levelheaded, honest, confident, bright, loyal, caring, understanding, practical, smart, down to earth, mature, sweet, responsible, polite, compassionate, witty, and independent, even though she never comes off as mean or harsh, but it also can be cynical, sarcastic and a bit blunt. She goes to Junior High, she is a part of choir and girls’ volleyball team.

• June 29
  • August 11
  • September 19
  • February 23

0 voters