You love the name so much, but

Which name do you love very much, but wouldn’t choose it for your child or recommend to others, and why?

For example: name [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] sounds so good for me, but…

2 Likes

Hedwig. People say it sounds like head wig and that’s unfortunately true.

4 Likes

Medusa - It’s such a great name, but I don’t think it’s usable because of… Well, Medusa.
[name_f]Orchid[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it for both genders but mostly for boys. But it means testicle, so no.

5 Likes

Narcissa, perfectly victorian, bewitching and glamourous, but well nope.

6 Likes

Isis…

9 Likes

Vivia would constantly get mistaken for [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], which is sad because this is my favorite name.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Amalia[/name_f], but [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is extremely popular where I live. I would worry that [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] would get misheard as “[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]” all the time. It’s still a beautiful name though.

The historical Greek name Arsinoë has a beautiful sound, but I couldn’t use it since the first syllable has a bad meaning in British [name_f]English[/name_f].

3 Likes

I love [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] and [name_u]Forest[/name_u] so much, but I’ll never be [name_u]Brave[/name_u] enough to use them. :sob:

3 Likes

I actually LOVE [name_f]Merry[/name_f] for a boy, but I know most people would see it as too girly, even despite LotR. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of [name_f]Vivia[/name_f]! It’s beautiful! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Lilith!

1 Like

I didn’t know that about [name_f]Orchid[/name_f]! I think it’s a pretty name and a pretty flower but I also wouldn’t use it because “our kid” is a slang term meaning younger sibling where I’m from & people would probably think I was saying that!

2 Likes

Afanasi - the “nasi” part (I would just spell it Afanasy, and use it as a middle name)
[name_f]Mercedes[/name_f] - car association. I think it would bother me if it was my name, so I wouldn’t use it.

1 Like

That has never occurred to me when I though of Afanasi… But I can’t unsee it now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Pippin and [name_f]Merry[/name_f] for boys - I think they’re adorable but I’m not positive they’d work on an adult
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] - I can’t get passed the [name_m]Barney[/name_m] the dinosaur possibility
[name_u]Kirby[/name_u] - the nintendo character might be too much of a connection to break away from

Mary-[name_f]Jane[/name_f] - the drug association
[name_f]Wendy[/name_f] - feels too 70’s but i love it
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f] - the sea witch
[name_f]Dorcas[/name_f] - i know i know, i don’t even know why i like this name but I would never give it to an actual child

2 Likes

I love [name_u]Pippin[/name_u], [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], and [name_f]Ursula[/name_f]!

2 Likes

Noa. Effing [name_u]Noah[/name_u] ruined it for me!

1 Like

Also, [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] on a guy. Idk why, but it just seems so handsome & strong to me!

1 Like

WHat? I think the computer blurred it out. Spell it like “g h e t t 0” or something.

This is my cats nickname because well I names my two orange babies after [name_f]Merry[/name_f] and [name_u]Pippin[/name_u]. Everyone assumes he’s a girl but that happens a lot with pets anyways!