Your Pets' Names

I’m sure this thread has been made, but what are your pets’ names? Is there a story behind how they got them?

I have a tabby cat named [name_u]Scout[/name_u] after the character in To Kill a Mockingbird. I think I will name all of my pets after my favorite characters from books in the future.

3 Likes

at the moment we have two cats:

a white and orange spotted cute, crazy, cloth-chewing, fiesty 2 year old named Peppermint Pecan Cutie-Pie. We call him Peppermint, Milk, Nugget, Peth, [name_u]Peppy[/name_u], Breath, and Bro and he responds to all of them!!

and an adorable, loving, squishy scottish fold. He was from the trap neuter return program as a stray so we don’t exactly know his age, but he is presumed to be about 4. He was picked up as a stray on the day that the second of our previous cats passed away. He is named Hazelnut Garbanzo Meatball. We call him Hazelnut, Hazy, or Nud.

2 Likes

The stories:
Peppermint is spicy like pepper and mint!! Pecan is for his orange spots which look like pecans, and cutie pie is because that’s what he is!!

Hazelnut’s face is shaped like a Hazelnut and a garbanzo bean, and Garbanzo was his name for a few days at the shelter. Meatball cause we saw an ad for a huge meatball at olive garden and it reminded us all of him.

Do you want me to find some pics?

2 Likes

I’d love to see pics! Those are great stories/names.

IMG_3814

10 Likes

Aww! They’re so cute! I have a cat named Butterscotch [name_m]Charles[/name_m] (I was you when I got him, please forgive the names running into each other) who’s an orange and white tabby also :slight_smile: Butterscotch is the name the rescue gave him and I thought it really suited him so I kept it. [name_m]Charles[/name_m] is because I wanted to name him [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] afterwards, but felt bad changing it after I told the rescue I would keep it Butterscotch, so I made [name_m]Charles[/name_m] his middle name :joy: [name_f]My[/name_f] dad has a cat named Cognac who’s a flame point persian.

14 Likes

awww sooooo cute!!!

Btw we used to have a cat named Butterscotch!

1 Like

I have a Shih Tzu named Masie [name_f]Mae[/name_f].

1 Like

Oh, I love this thread!

[name_f]My[/name_f] pets are 100% my babies, so I love talking about them.

First we have [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_u]Skye[/name_u]. She’s called [name_f]Mia[/name_f] most of the time, but I call her [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] too. She responds to both. I got her from someone who found a box of kittens & their mother in a box left at a gas station & posted an ad on Craigslist. That was over fourteen years ago. The rest of the litter were all sweeties, & they all looked the same. [name_m]Black[/name_m] & brown tabbies. [name_f]Mia[/name_f] is clearly half Siamese, & looks like this:

377340_834500627268_288903800_n

I named her because my cat, [name_m]Adam[/name_m] Stretch, had recently passed away. He went by Stretch. I wanted to give her the same initials. I just thought [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_u]Skye[/name_u] was beautiful, but she was so teeny tiny that [name_f]Mia[/name_f] fit her better back then.

[name_f]My[/name_f] other cat is [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]. We had a cat named [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u] who passed away, so I toyed around w/a few different ‘S’ names for [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]. But I really loved [name_u]Ari[/name_u] for him. He’s just sweet, goofy & lovable. A perfect [name_u]Ari[/name_u]. And [name_u]Ari[/name_u] means ‘lion’ in Hebrew. [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] is goddess, but she’s the goddess of hunting and the moon. So, I thought that was perfect for a cat! He’s called [name_u]Ari[/name_u] almost always unless he’s in trouble he gets called [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]. :joy: I got him when he was three, & he’s thirteen now. But he seriously acts like he’s a kitten. This is his sweet little face:

Last but not least, we have [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. She’s a Pittie/Boarder [name_f]Collie[/name_f] mix. We got her at five months old, & she’s eight now. Dh wanted to name a dog [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] nn [name_f]Trixie[/name_f]. But when I met her, she was just such a [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. And she’s honestly now eight years later way too stoic to be a [name_f]Trixie[/name_f]. I love the fact that she has a beautiful Irish name too, because most of my little human nephews have Irish names & are ln is a very Irish ‘[name_m]Mac[/name_m]’ name.

Here’s a beautiful [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] picture:

11 Likes

I have a 14 yr old Rottweiler/Husky mix named [name_u]Thunder[/name_u].

11 Likes

The only pet of ours that I came up with the name for was my dog, Tinsel. Now I have a little cat named [name_f]Stella[/name_f]. She turned out to be really young when the rescue got her so the whole time I was waiting for her to be old enough to come home I was thinking of names. She was almost a [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_u]Cricket[/name_u], or [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. But my brother had been suggesting [name_f]Stella[/name_f] all along and then I learned that her foster family had coincidentally named her [name_f]Stella[/name_f], so it seemed like fate.

She turns two next week :partying_face:

13 Likes

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this link works! This is my dog (we have no idea how old or what breed she is, since she was a rescue). Her name is [name_f]Tacy[/name_f]. When we found her, her collar had “[name_f]Gracie[/name_f]” written on it. We wanted to change it, but not too much. I loved the [name_f]Betsy[/name_f]-[name_f]Tacy[/name_f] books growing up, and [name_f]Tacy[/name_f] really suits her! I call her [name_f]Tacy[/name_f] Baboo, so I guess Baboo is her middle name!

6 Likes

I have a dog named [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_u]Kalani[/name_u]. Originally, we wanted to name her Osita or [name_f]Shuri[/name_f], but we decided on [name_f]Maya[/name_f] after a lot of help from our family.

I came up with the middle name, with a little help from my grandma. She made many suggestions, including Snowflake, but I picked [name_u]Kalani[/name_u]. Yes, I was in my Dance Moms phase at the time, and she was my favorite.

11 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] dogs’ names are [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] :blush: [name_m]Henry[/name_m] turns 9 in [name_u]November[/name_u], and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] turned 7 two weeks ago.

2 Likes

My dog is [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]. (Zwergschnauzer)

2 Likes

Also wanted to add that my mom runs an Instagram page for cognac if anyone wants to follow it :joy: It’s @cognacthepersian

2 Likes

I have an adopted brindle boxer lab. She looks sort of like this: Screenshot_20200624-191806|312x500
She came with the name [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and her nickname is [name_f]Minnie[/name_f].

2 Likes

I have a leopard gecko named [name_m]Buddy[/name_m]. He’s a standard morph.

The story: Idk, he’s just always looked like a [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] to me. I can’t really imagine him as anything else. I also considered Mustard, cause he’s yellow with black and brown spots, and my mom reeeeaalllly wanted him to be named that, but it seemed too much of a complicated mouthful for his personality.

Btw, he’s a lizard, but he has moods… I’m telling you :rofl:

2 Likes

I have had a few pets in my life. When I was little my mom had a really old black lab named [name_m]Joe[/name_m] [name_m]Joe[/name_m] and we had a cat named Gunny. I don’t think Gunny is a real name, my mom told me when we were coming up with names for the kitten my twin brother (who was three at the time) said he liked the name Gunny. We all thought it was cute so we kept it. Then we got are border collie mix [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] We had a really hard time naming him. I remember before we settled on [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] we called him [name_m]Buddy[/name_m], Opie, [name_m]Hank[/name_m], and [name_u]Louie[/name_u]. Years letter my mom married my stepdad and we got three more cats. [name_m]Oreo[/name_m], who was a black and white long haired cat, Spongebob Who was a tabby cat with no tail so we often called him “Spongebob no-tail” and [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], spongebob’s big fat brother. We also got two more dogs! Toto, a little black curly dog and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], a little blonde dog that is a dachshund Maltese mix.

1 Like

I have a dog named [name_f]Bora[/name_f], because of the island [name_f]Bora[/name_f] [name_f]Bora[/name_f]. her breeder named all her siblings B names and we didn’t want to change it, even though it isn’t my favorite name. Her middle name is [name_f]Jane[/name_f].
Back before we got her, I wanted to name her [name_u]Casey[/name_u] or [name_u]Kaya[/name_u], other names I wouldn’t pick now. (But I didn’t have Nameberry back then, either)

I also have 8 chickens, all named [name_u]Louise[/name_u].
I had really good list going of names ([name_u]Prairie[/name_u], [name_u]Jet[/name_u], Camo, [name_f]Honey[/name_f], [name_f]Maple[/name_f], [name_u]Sunny[/name_u], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Coral[/name_f], [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], and [name_u]Lacy[/name_u]) but then I heard of my cousins 3 chickens named [name_f]Helen[/name_f], and I realized it would be easier to name them all one name. They have their nicknames, but you can’t tell them all apart, so [name_u]Louise[/name_u] it is.
(If we ever got some guinea hens, I would name them something different, and for some reason I like [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] )

I also like some of the names on the chicken list for future pets, especially [name_f]Maple[/name_f] :slightly_smiling_face:

Not that the fish is important, but mine is named four because it’s my fourth one. The others were named crystal, speck, and comet.

4 Likes