Your Pets' Names

I am going to share all of my pet’s names because they all have a story behind them!
[name_m]Bear[/name_m] and [name_m]Brutus[/name_m] - Two large male [name_m]German[/name_m] Shepards
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] and Snowball - Two guinea pigs
[name_f]Lady[/name_f] - Cavapoo mix and my bestie
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] - Cavachon mix ( the cutest dog breed in my opinion )
[name_m]Romeo[/name_m] - Dorkie mix
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_f]Lola[/name_f] - [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Russell[/name_m] terriers

3 Likes

[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]— DOG Female chow chow mix (we think). No idea why she’s named how she is.
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]— DOG Female golden retriever, at the breeder she was called [name_u]Orange[/name_u] Daisies because of the pattern on her collar.
[name_u]Gus[/name_u]— CAT Male orange tabby. Named after [name_u]Gus[/name_u] in [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] :blush:

1 Like

I’ve got one dog of my own, a brindle pit/lab mix named [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. Her name came from my finance trying to remember the name [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and suggesting the name [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] instead lol. I didn’t want to name her after an evil witch, but [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] doesn’t have any negative connotations for me. The [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] association gives it a cute feel, and she usually just goes by [name_f]Bea[/name_f] for short.

I’m also taking care of a little black dog that was dumped in town and followed us home when we went for a walk. I’ve had him a month and no one has claimed him. Poor thing was skinny and covered in sores. He fell in love with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and she was the only reason he followed us to our home. I brought him in and started calling him Casanova because of what a flirt he was with her. That seemed like a silly permanent name though, so [name_m]Cas[/name_m] became [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], my little adventurer.

5 Likes

AWWW Those are adorable names and name stories!!!

1 Like

Aww, I love everyone’s pet names. I will name our inside pets for brevity. They all have bookish names. :nerd_face:

1. Albus [name_m]Percival[/name_m] [name_m]Wulfric[/name_m] [name_m]Brian[/name_m] Dumbledog // 3 yo, Bernedoodle, [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
  2. Talulah “[name_u]Tully[/name_u]” [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] // 1 yo, Scottish Terrier, I was listening to a [name_f]Kristen[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] audiobook with a character named [name_u]Tully[/name_u] when we adopted her.
  3. Watson [name_u]James[/name_u] // 7 yo, [name_m]Basset[/name_m] Hound, [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m]
  4. Harper [name_f]Olive[/name_f] // 12+ yo, muted calico cat, To Kill a Mockingbird
  5. Max Marshmallow // 1 yo, white Lionhead bunny, Where the [name_u]Wild[/name_u] Things Are
  6. Amelia [name_f]Bedelia[/name_f] // 4 months old, American [name_m]Buff[/name_m] Goose
5 Likes

Oh, I’ve just recently been thinking about all the wonderful pets I’ve had throughout my life! I’m in my 40s so there have been many. I grew up on a large, beautiful farm so we had lots of room and my parents liked animals so they often took in strays or animals people could no longer keep. Miss all of them so much. They were a great part of my childhood (and my adult life too, of course). So because I’ve loved them all, I will share all of their names! ([name_m]Long[/name_m] post ahead)

*As a child/teen
Dogs
[name_u]Duke[/name_u] (Dalmation): Was the family dog when I was born. Named by my dad, who wanted a “tough” name and was a [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Wayne[/name_m] fan.
[name_f]Missy[/name_f] (Poodle): Inherited from my grandparents. Named by my grandma. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents were never a fan of the name as my name is [name_f]Chrissy[/name_f] and they were always mixing them up!
Blacky (Border collie/?): One of my earliest memories was picking out Blacky from a shelter. I had chosen another dog there that had already been named Brownie, but the shelter workers told me he had been spoken for. I picked another dog, but I just thought the name Brownie was so cool for some reason and insisted that was what I wanted to name this one, despite the fact that he was pure black. [name_f]My[/name_f] siblings told me I was dumb and began calling him Blacky instead.
[name_f]Shanna[/name_f] (Irish Setter): Inherited from relatives, named by them.
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] (Terrier): Inherited from my sister when she was in college and moved to a pet free apartment. Named by her.
Kibbles (Cocker Spaniel): A gift and the only pet we ever had “with papers”. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom said he therefore needed a fancy name. I suggested [name_m]Sir[/name_m] Kibbles and Bits.
[name_u]Clancy[/name_u] (Shitzu): Adopted shortly after my grandfather passed away. I wanted an Irish name in honor of him.
[name_m]Bingo[/name_m] (Chow/?): [name_f]My[/name_f] mom was going through a bingo phase and said she wanted to be able to yell [name_m]Bingo[/name_m]! all the the time.
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] (Border collie/?): [name_f]My[/name_f] parents’ dog they got when I was living in dorms. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad named her after his great grandma, whose name was actually [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f].

Cats
[name_m]Clyde[/name_m]: I loved the movie [name_f]Every[/name_f] Which [name_m]Way[/name_m] But Loose and it was the name of the orangutan in it
[name_m]Gizmo[/name_m]: Had just watched Gremlins for the first time
Spunky: I just remember thinking this was a very clever name when I was little.
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]: For some reason I thought he was a Siamese and figured [name_m]Simon[/name_m] the Siamese would be a great name. He was definitely not though. No clue where I got that idea from.
[name_m]Oreo[/name_m]: He was black and white. Not my most creative naming years.
Dopey: [name_f]My[/name_f] mom named him this because she was always trying to keep him from napping in the road, which he loved to do and she’d always yell, you dopey cat!
[name_m]Tom[/name_m]: Our sweet farm cat, who had the obligatory farm cat name

Lizards
[name_m]Rocky[/name_m] (Salamander): He was so little, I wanted him to have a big strong name.
Puff ([name_m]Newt[/name_m]): After the rapper. (That would be Diddy, when he went by Puff Daddy)
Biggie ([name_m]Newt[/name_m]): After the rapper

Goldfish
[name_m]Mikey[/name_m]: [name_f]My[/name_f] brother was going through a [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] phase
Bubbles: After [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]'s chimp

Parakeets
Taco: We had eaten Taco [name_u]Bell[/name_u] right before and then I got to go pick out a bird. I didn’t get much fast food and I just thought it was the best day ever and should be commemorated.
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]: I thought this was a very handsome regal name.
[name_u]Blue[/name_u]: She was, of course, a brilliant blue color.

Guinea Pig
[name_u]Max[/name_u]: I just thought [name_u]Max[/name_u] was a perfect guinea pig name.

Duck
[name_u]Skipper[/name_u]: When we got him and he would wander somewhere he wasn’t supposed to my dad would say “Whoa there, [name_u]Skipper[/name_u]”. It stuck.

(As an adult)
Dogs
[name_m]Hank[/name_m] (Pomeranian/?): I am a foster parent, so I don’t get to choose my kids’ names, so I decided I wanted to use the names off my list that I might have used for a child.
[name_m]Dex[/name_m] (Lab/Husky): Named by my foster son from a list of “cool dog names” off the internet. Approved by me because it was on my favorites list.

Cats
Scratches: [name_f]My[/name_f] roommate’s cat. She named her.
[name_m]Gibson[/name_m]: This was when I wanted my all pets’ names to be music related. From [name_m]Gibson[/name_m] guitars.
[name_u]Marley[/name_u]: After [name_m]Bob[/name_m] [name_u]Marley[/name_u].
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]: This was off my favorite girl’s name list for a baby.
Church: She looked just like the original cat from [name_f]Pet[/name_f] Sematary.
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]: From my favorites baby names list

Lizards
[name_u]Ari[/name_u] (Bearded Dragon): Inherited from friends. They named him
[name_m]Otto[/name_m] (Bearded Dragon): Same

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] dog is named [name_m]Buck[/name_m]. No fun story, because that was his name when we adopted him but I can’t imagine him with any other name.

Edited to add my childhood pet fish was named Kim despite being a boy and I had a snail named Lily- no idea why I chose those names. My sister had 3 consecutive fish named Sunset because they were red, orange and yellow. She also had a frog named Bubbette who was originally named Bob because she was in a phase of loving that name, but then realized the frog was a girl.

2 Likes

My 15, going be 16 in two weeks, Chihuahua is named [name_m]Buddy[/name_m](nn: Lizard, Budman), he was a rescued and we didn’t choose his name.

Ny late Schnauzer was named [name_u]Charlie[/name_u](nn: [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_m]Brown[/name_m], Thumper, Eeyore), because my mom knew his name was [name_u]Charlie[/name_u].

And my late cat was named Mojo(Mojo [name_u]Jojo[/name_u], Moji) and my brother was into [name_u]Austin[/name_u] [name_m]Powers[/name_m] and [name_u]Power[/name_u] Puff Girls at the time.

And I’ll just put my siblings cats names

Coco and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]: my brother and girlfriend’s kittens.

Leroy Lasagna and [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]: my sister and her husband’s cats.

4 Likes

As a kid, I also had four goldfish. One died before I could name it. The other three were Papa [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_u]Baby[/name_u] [name_m]Bear[/name_m], and [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] respectfully, and the former two pushed [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] out of the tank till she died. We gave them away when we moved to [name_f]China[/name_f]. Now, I have no fish, and a severe fear of fish.

3 Likes

We have two British shorthairs named [name_u]Rooney[/name_u] & Vixen and a beagle named [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m].

[name_u]Rooney[/name_u] was named by my mom after her favorite soccer player. She bought us [name_u]Rooney[/name_u] when DH and I moved into our house and she insisted on it being called [name_u]Rooney[/name_u]. I love it now and Roo is a sweet nn.

Vixen was named as we brought her on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u] after I had my second child [name_m]Ferris[/name_m] (born on 23rd Dec) and we wanted Vixen to be named something related to [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. We liked Vixen as it was fun and different!

[name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] was named for DH as he is half french. It’s a fun name and her nn is [name_f]Fifi[/name_f]. [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] has an additional meaning as my dad is from [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m], [name_u]Indiana[/name_u] and this was a fun way of honoring that.

4 Likes

I have a yellow labrador called [name_u]Teddy[/name_u].

Teddy is old boy he’s nearly fourteen and is suffering from mild arthritis, i got him as a rescue when he was 6 poor thing yet he pulled through now we’ve travelled many places together and had so many adventures now we have to slow down a bit but that doesn’t mean that he still doesn’t act like a puppy all the time, fun fact: in the time i’ve had him he has never attacked or injured anything such a sweet soul.

4 Likes

Lyra (Saluki) and Pantelaimon (collie cross) - from His Dark Material’s novels.

Lirael (black cat) - from [name_m]Garth[/name_m] [name_f]Nix[/name_f] Abhorsen trilogy.

Cochise (royal python) - from Falling Skies

Hoggy (western hognose) - We tried several different names when we got him but none fit and we all just ended up calling him Hoggy.

Severus Snake (corn snake) - [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

Quinn (Harlequin crested gecko)

Andromeda (White’s tree frog) - We wanted a space themed name.

Squirtle (tortoise) - my son named him.

Chimi and Changa (Giant African [name_u]Land[/name_u] snails)

4 Likes

I have two dogs, an 8 year old male Siberian Husky named [name_u]Everest[/name_u] and a 7 year old female Samoyed named [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], me and my husband chose the names together, we wanted a fun winter/snow theme

4 Likes

I have a 10-pound schnoodle named [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] (originally [name_u]Willow[/name_u]), and about 70 pet shrimp. Yeah, that’s right. Shrimp. Oh, and they all have names but I’m not going to put them here because it would take too long.

4 Likes

I have a greyhound named Zip. His middle name is Spiderman because that was his racing name.

When he wants to go by a fancier name, he is Zippington S. Lastname. He’ll respond to Zip, Zippington, Zippers, Zippity dog, etc. and a whole lot of other nicknames.

2 Likes

I have two cats named [name_u]Hero[/name_u] and [name_f]Pixie[/name_f]. [name_f]Pixie[/name_f], true to her name, is a mischievous, playful little wrecking ball and [name_u]Hero[/name_u], not true to his name at all, goes hunting and brings us home little dead “presents”. We also have a dog named [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] who was named because of his striking resemblance to a teddy bear. He’s been since jokingly nicknamed [name_m]Tige[/name_m](pronounced Teeg-uh) which is a shortened version of the [name_m]German[/name_m] word for “needy” because he has separation anxiety.

2 Likes

Those names flow so beautifully together!

1 Like

I had a [name_m]German[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] named [name_f]Ilo[/name_f], his litter all had to have names on “I”. [name_f]My[/name_f] Gerbil was called [name_u]Mattie[/name_u] because of a place in [name_f]Ronja[/name_f] [name_m]Reaver[/name_m]’s daughter, Mattisborgen (The [name_m]Mattis[/name_m] Keep). I also named my bunny [name_f]Ronja[/name_f] after the same movie

2 Likes

S/O and I just got the sweetest little kitten, we named him [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] “JD” after [name_m]Zach[/name_m] Braff’s character on Scrubs!

4 Likes

I have to say, again, I love the character, and the cat is absolutely adorable!

1 Like