Your thoughts about spelling the name Rebecca, Rebekah, ....

Are there two (or more?) legitimate spellings of the name [name]Rebecca[/name]? Are [name]Rebecca[/name] and [name]Rebekah[/name] both acceptable? I know that [name]Rebekah[/name] is less common, but it isn’t considered strange or too unconventional, is it?

What are your initial thoughts when you see both these spellings - [name]Rebecca[/name] and [name]Rebekah[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you have different impressions of the names or the kids with those names?

Also, are there any other spellings of [name]Rebecca[/name] that are accepted?

Thanks so much!

Personally, If I saw a kid with the name [name]Rebekah[/name], it would register as “creative” which is a negative in my book… [name]Just[/name] my opinion.

I love the name [name]Rebecca[/name]. I would definitely spell it that way since it is the less confusing, prettier/more feminine way. [name]Rebekah[/name] would not register as creative for me because it is traditional, but I absolutely prefer [name]Rebecca[/name]. I love its Biblical roots, strong but pretty sound and look, and the nickname [name]Becca[/name] is just adorable. I see [name]Rebecca[/name] as a beautiful girl who’s got her life together.

[name]Rebekah[/name] is the biblical spelling, but I think the [name]Rebecca[/name] looks more classic.

I love [name]Rebecca[/name]! It’s so classy and pretty and girly. I, too, love the nn [name]Becca[/name]. Then again, it’s my sister’s name, so I’m absolutely biased. :slight_smile: I’ve considered it many times as a MN to honor her.

I prefer the [name]Rebecca[/name] spelling, but I give [name]Rebekah[/name] props for being the original spelling, which is what I’m usually drawn to. I know a [name]Rebekka[/name], too–I was always under the assumption that her parents picked that spelling to honor their [name]German[/name] roots, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if [name]Rebekka[/name] is a legitimate variation or not. :confused:

Good luck!

[name]Rebecca[/name]'s a nice name. It feels a little tired b/c there are so many women my age (30ish) with it, but it’s solid.

If I see a [name]Rebekah[/name], with that spelling, I tend to assume she’s Jewish. If I see a [name]Rebecca[/name], I don’t assume that. In my experience, that’s not all that accurate of a set of assumptions, but my brain still does it for whatever reason.

I am pretty sure [name]Rebeca[/name] is the accepted Spanish spelling, but if you’re not of Spanish heritage, it would seem misspelled.

All best!

I much prefer [name]Rebecca[/name]. It is a very pretty name. We almost used it for our dd.

[name]Rebecca[/name] and [name]Rebekah[/name] are both perfectly legitimate spellings. I prefer the [name]Rebecca[/name] spelling; to me it looks more elegant.

I much prefer [name]Rebecca[/name]. I know [name]Rebekah[/name] is a legitimate spelling, but I don’t think that many people know that, and it may still give the impression of being a kre8if spelling…

[name]Rebekah[/name] is legit. It’s the way it’s spelled in the Bible and I personally prefer this spelling since it’s less common.

I’m not sure how I personally would spell it but my sister’s best friend is [name]Rebecca[/name] and she always says she would want it to be [name]Rebekah[/name]…she just feels like it suits her more…and I have to agree with her ahaha

They’re both perfectly legitimate spellings and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with either. [name]Rebekah[/name] is the original spelling, and I, having grown up in church with girls given biblical names, have known more [name]Rebekah[/name]'s than [name]Rebecca[/name]'s. But I don’t really have a preference. [name]Rebekah[/name] or [name]Rebecca[/name] either way it’s a lovely name.

I prefer [name]Rebekah[/name] because it is the Biblical spelling. I would, however, assume that the parents had [name]Christian[/name] or possibly Jewish roots. Also, I think the [name]Rebekah[/name] spelling encourages the nickname Bekah.

I much prefer the [name]Rebekah[/name] spelling. Personally I would never even consider using [name]Rebecca[/name], they’re almost like two entirely different names to me, which I realize is kind of silly!

Personally I prefer the [name]Rebekah[/name] spelling.

Actually, Rebekah and Rebecca are BOTH Biblical spellings. In the original English Bible, the translators used the spelling “Rebekah” in the Old Testament and used “Rebecca” in the New Testament (see Romans 9:10). All refer to Isaac’s wife. The original name was in the Hebrew language, which uses an entirely different alphabet. So both are Biblical spellings.

Interestingly, “Rebecca” is actually an older Biblical spelling as it was the spelling used for Isaac’s wife in the the ancient Latin Vulgate (Bible) from the 4th century and used for centuries. Here is a link to the Latin Vulgate showing Genesis 49:31 alongside the English translation: http://www.latinvulgate.com/lv/verse.aspx?t=0&b=1&c=49

I know [name]Rebekah[/name] is the original Bible spelling, but honestly this version hurts my eyes - it maybe the original but to echo others, it looks a touch “creative”. [name]Rebecca[/name] is much prettier looking imo.

As noted on this page (post #21), both spellings are in the original English Bible. Translators spelled it “Rebekah” in the Old Testament and “Rebecca” in the New Testament (see Romans 9:10). The original name was in the Hebrew language, which uses totally different letters in its alphabet.

I like both spellings. If I was all that worried about trumping all for Bible-authenticity I would spell it [name]Rivka[/name]. I consider [name]Rebekah[/name] and [name]Rebecca[/name] equally valid.

I prefer the [name]Rebekah[/name] spelling because of the Biblical roots.