Your Thoughts please....Baby brother for Sadie and Scarlett...

I posted before when I wasn’t totally sure of the gender. I can’t find my old post now. It’s definitely a boy! YAY!!!
So now comes naming and my husband and I almost never agree. So we have two girls…[name]Sadie[/name] and then [name]Scarlett[/name]. I love Sadie’s name and all it’s spunk. I’ve always loved Scarlett as well but I was never sure I could pull off it for my girl. Seems like a fierce name…so far, it fits…our [name]Scarlett[/name] is pretty fierce.

I did not intend on the S trend. [name]Just[/name] worked out that way. As I said, we had a hard time agreeing to names and it just so happened that the two girl names we agreed on were S names.

I’m sort of leaning towards breaking the S trend, so bear in mind when weighing the S names.

Updated list:
Bowden (nn Bo or Bodie)
Beau/Bo - Hubs like Bo spelling/,me not so much.
Nash -
Bram -
Beck -
Casper -
Cooper- Husband and MIL choice
Tate - Hubs fave.
Winston (nn Win)

I find naming your child after you alma mater a bit much, sorry. And another poster was asking about [name]Thatcher[/name]-- way too tied to [name]Maggie[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name] and her austere economic policies (“Thatcherite” is still a commonly used adjective).

And I agree- three S names is a pattern. Two is just a happy coincidence.

From the rest of your list:

[name]Dashiell[/name]: the sine qua non of hipster names, it seems a bit uppity compared to [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]-- though I agree, [name]Dash[/name] works well
[name]Everett[/name]: a gentle name, but perhaps can’t stand up well to the stronger, “fiercer” style of [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]: this really works well. It’s a little fussy, but the verb-meaning can stand up to your girls’ names
[name]Bode[/name]: this bodes ill
[name]Beau[/name]: [name]Scarlett[/name] + [name]Beau[/name] = antebellum plantation
[name]Zane[/name]: perhaps a tad close to [name]Sadie[/name], but a great stylistic match
[name]Zander[/name]: this is a diminutive of [name]Alexander[/name]. I think stylistically it’s a close match, as [name]Sadie[/name] too is an old nickname for [name]Sarah[/name].
[name]Bram[/name]: I quite like this name, but it strikes me as a bit Continental compared to the spirit of [name]Sadie[/name] & [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Nash[/name]: great, great choice. This feels American, masculine, unpretentious and unique. I really like it with your girls.
Truett - I agree with your husband on this one
[name]Noble[/name]: [name]Scarlett[/name] (an adjective) and [name]Noble[/name] (an adjective) are a little too much when paired
[name]Hayes[/name]: another possibility, though a little more refined and hesitant when compared to [name]Nash[/name].

Other options, in the same vein and a good match for [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]:

[name]Beck[/name]
[name]Boyd[/name]
[name]Bryce[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Eames[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Judd[/name]
[name]Lane[/name]
[name]Quaid[/name]
[name]Ross[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Vaughan[/name]
[name]West[/name]
[name]Abbott[/name]
[name]Anson[/name]
[name]Bowman[/name]
[name]Cooper[/name]
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Macon[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Walker[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

[name]Blade[/name], I love your suggestions and takes, so spot on!

What about a different spelling for [name]Bode[/name]? I know name variants and creative spellings are not super popular here…and I’m not generally a fan, but I like the sound of [name]Bode[/name], but not the spelling.

[name]Dexter[/name]- [name]Just[/name] reminds me of the serial murderer show
[name]Xavier[/name]- strikes me as very Hispanic, because the only [name]Xavier[/name] or [name]Zavier[/name] I’ve known are Hispanic and wouldn’t go well with our Irish surname.
[name]Flynn[/name] - would be good but I just see/hear Tangled.

Husband gave me his suggestions. Are you ready?
[name]Brendon[/name] - reminded him he has a cousin named [name]Brendan[/name]
So then [name]Brandon[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name] (I only hear Tarmac)
[name]Darren[/name] (I think bewitched)
[name]Donal[/name] (I’m not sure if this is supposed to be [name]Donald[/name], but does it make a difference? Horrible either way)

Oh my! This is going to be REAL tough.

[name]Bodhi[/name] would be the natural “other” spelling of [name]Bode[/name] (which, to me, also looks like the word “bode”). I’ve always assumed [name]Bodhi[/name] and [name]Bode[/name] were pronounced the same… [name]Bodhi[/name] feels a tad out of style with [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Sadie[/name], but I think the sounds work well together.

I also think that [name]Nash[/name] is pretty standout, along with [name]Dashiell[/name] (I still think [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name], and [name]Dash[/name] are fab), [name]Pierce[/name], [name]Hayes[/name], and several of blade’s suggestions! I pretty much second her comments, but would add that I would scratch Truett and [name]Everett[/name] not for their softer sounds, but because they share [name]Scarlett[/name]'s already unusual ending. I might add [name]Tate[/name]/[name]Tatum[/name], [name]Beacon[/name] or [name]Deacon[/name], [name]Brant[/name]/[name]Brandt[/name], [name]Conor[/name] or [name]Conall[/name] (better than [name]Donal[/name]), [name]Monroe[/name], [name]Barnes[/name], [name]Wills[/name] (maybe a good compromise for [name]William[/name]), [name]Tobin[/name], or [name]Banning[/name].

I actually completely disagree with the previous poster … [name]Penn[/name] is my favourite of the name choices you put forth! [name]Love[/name] it!

Thanks-- always glad to help!

I think, given your Irish heritage and love of that bow-dee sound, that [name]Brody[/name]/[name]Brodie[/name] is an absolute winner for you. Also, [name]Rhodes[/name].

[name]Cormac[/name]-- I think [name]Cormac[/name] [name]McCarthy[/name], and you can do far worse for associations.
[name]Donal[/name] is an old variant of [name]Donald[/name], Irish instead of Scottish.
On [name]Darren[/name] and [name]Brendan[/name], I agree.

Does your husband really want an Irish name? If so, going with the previous vibe, I’d add

[name]Keane[/name]
[name]Clancy[/name]
[name]Conn[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name]
[name]Grady[/name]
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Teague[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]

Though I still think stylistically the first group I suggested might be the best match-- and I really like [name]Nash[/name]!

Okay, I hear you on the [name]Bode[/name] spelling and boding ill. What about [name]Boden[/name] (nn Bodie, but not for all the time use)?

I actually love the band [name]Keane[/name], but I don’t know about it as a name.
I never got [name]Declan[/name]. Feels very Irish.
[name]Finlay[/name] is cool but it will inevitabley become [name]Finn[/name], which is just too hot right now.
[name]Grady[/name] is great, but rhymes with [name]Sadie[/name].
The others feel way Irish to me.

Yea, I think I keep putting [name]Dashiell[/name] (nn [name]Dash[/name]), [name]Nash[/name], [name]Hayes[/name] (not as much), and [name]Penn[/name] out there. I know that when my husband feels a name is my favorite, he tends to go against that name hard. I think he thinks [name]Penn[/name] is my favorite, so I don’t have a lot of hope for saving [name]Penn[/name].

I may had [name]Boden[/name], [name]Corbin[/name] (a [name]Cormac[/name] compromise) and [name]Beck[/name] to the list.

[name]Blade[/name] and others, I’m definitely still open to suggestions?

I know someone else asked about this, but how about [name]CAsper[/name]?

[name]Conall[/name] is definitely better than [name]Donal[/name]!
[name]Banning[/name] reminds me banning someone and I don’t need that reference with the [name]Scarlet[/name] Letter around!
[name]Tate[/name]/[name]Tatum[/name] is great…just feels like [name]Channing[/name] [name]Tatum[/name]. Maybe I’m wrong about this?
I like [name]Monroe[/name]…but it has girl but not really feel with [name]Marilyn[/name] [name]Monroe[/name]. It’s nagging at me though. There is something I like about it.

I think you like [name]Monroe[/name] due to its surname feel, unpretentiousness, long O sound, and the fact that it can stand up well to your girls’ names. But the [name]Marilyn[/name] association does skew girly… This might quickly follow into [name]Harper[/name] and [name]Harlow[/name] territory.

As for [name]Boden[/name]-- I know this is odd, but it’s Scandinavian origin reminds me of Woden. It still starts with “bode.” what about Bowden instead?

And honestly-- could you really imagine showing up at a college reunion with a son named [name]Penn[/name]? It’s obviously a great name, but for two [name]Penn[/name] alumni, I still think it’a little much.

A few more thoughts to add to [name]Beck[/name], [name]Corbin[/name], [name]Bo/nameden, [name]Nash[/name], [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Hayes[/name]:

Bixby (a great jazzy vibe)
[name]Dixon[/name]
[name]Huxley[/name]
[name]Paxton[/name] nn [name]Pax[/name]
[name]Zale[/name]
[name]Astin[/name]
[name]Devlin[/name] nn [name]Dev[/name]
[name]Hearst[/name]
[name]Firth[/name]
[name]Joss[/name]
[name]Perth[/name]
[name]Patton[/name]
[name]Griff[/name]
[name]Hale[/name]
[name]Harris[/name]
[name]Gibson[/name]

My favorites were on your original list, [name]Thatcher[/name], [name]Dash[/name]/[name]Nash[/name] (though not really [name]Dashiell[/name], comes off very feminine to me) and [name]Pierce[/name]. I do like the [name]Rhodes[/name] suggestion, pairs great with your girlies! Good luck getting the hubby to agree!

I love [name]Huxley[/name], as suggested by someone else. I think of your original list, [name]Dashiell[/name] works best with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]. Could you perhaps reserve [name]Penn[/name] for a middle name? It’s cool and does have a lovely meaning for you both, but I’d be really put off by the nanny if I were you! [name]Rory[/name] is also quite lovely if your husband is set on an Irish name.

After reading previous posts the name that sounds the best to me is [name]Tate[/name].
[name]Sadie[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Tate[/name]. Sounds great together and [name]Tate[/name] is nice and strong and breaking the S trend if that’s what you want.

If you want to stay with the letter S how about
[name]Seth[/name]
or
[name]Sebastian[/name]?

My favourite is definitely [name]Tate[/name] and if my friend didn’t have a son named [name]Tate[/name], I’d consider it for my baby due early next year.
All the best :slight_smile:

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name], especially with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]!

[quote="“blade,post:9,topic:182597”]
I think you like [name]Monroe[/name] due to its surname feel, unpretentiousness, long O sound, and the fact that it can stand up well to your girls’ names. But the [name]Marilyn[/name] association does skew girly… This might quickly follow into [name]Harper[/name] and [name]Harlow[/name] territory. /QUOTE]

Yes, this is exactly what I’m feeling. Also [name]Mariah[/name] [name]Carey[/name] named her daughter [name]Monroe[/name] and while I am not inspired by celebs, many people are.

I think I could really get behind Bowden. My husband mentioned last night he liked B names, so that’s why were are getting [name]Brandon[/name] and [name]Brendan[/name]. I said, what about [name]Boden[/name]. He said you are getting close. He then says he likes [name]Bo[/name] (not the [name]Beau[/name]). I think Bowden could give us the best of all worlds. He can use nickname [name]Bo[/name] and I can get my Bod-ee nickname, but yet there is a more formal adult sounding name in Bowden and it might appeal my husband’s inclination towards to the B-dens. I have to be careful not to tip my hand too much as it is still early on and my husband tends to rebel against my chosen name.

Yes, I hear that. Anyhow, I’ve come to terms with the fact that like [name]Savannah[/name] (for our first daughter), [name]Hadley[/name] (for our second daughter), [name]Penn[/name] is a casualty.

Bixby (a great jazzy vibe) - Very cool…I find I think a lot of names sound like reindeer names?!? I don’t know why. I think it’s the [name]Bix[/name] sound that throwing me toward Vixen. [name]Every[/name] name is going to have an initial association in my mind, so I’m going to have to let ruminate for a bit, but I like something about it.
[name]Dixon[/name] - Also has the Vixen association. I don’t like the [name]Dick[/name] sound in the beginning and I only think of the [name]Mason[/name] [name]Dixon[/name] line, which just feel very confederate to me. I know [name]Scarlett[/name] and some of my other choices bring that out too, but this is just not a good Southern association for me. No particular reason.
[name]Huxley[/name] - I think of The Huxtabes. I do like the [name]Huck[/name] sound in the beginning, reminds me a bit of [name]Huckleberry[/name] [name]Finn[/name], without being [name]Huckleberry[/name].
[name]Paxton[/name] nn [name]Pax[/name] - Brangelina - Can’t do it. Too bad bc it’s cool.
[name]Zale[/name] - I think of Zales and I am not really sure I actually like Z names. I know I had [name]Zander[/name] and [name]Zane[/name] on my list. I feel like I should like them, but I don’t really think they are for me.
[name]Astin[/name] - I was thinking I might really like A names for a boy. Like Anden - is that a name? Anyhow, [name]Astin[/name] sounds nice but I’m hearing [name]Aston[/name] [name]Martin[/name] and I wouldn’t want to name my kid after luxury (or non-luxury) car.
[name]Devlin[/name] nn [name]Dev[/name] - Could work and I strongly prefer over [name]Donal[/name] and [name]Darren[/name].
[name]Hearst[/name] - Funeral car.

[name]Hale[/name] - I prefer [name]Hayes[/name], but could work.

[name]Harris[/name]
[name]Gibson[/name] - I have an issue with common surnames as first names, like [name]Harris[/name], [name]Gibson[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name], [name]Cohen[/name], etc., I really feel that they should be someone’s maiden name if you are going to use them.

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions.

My husband mentioned [name]Jasper[/name] last night. I said I liked and he quickly withdraw it. What do you think of [name]Jasper[/name]?

[name]Tate[/name] is good. Husband is not totally receptive although he threw it out for our last girl, so we’ll see if he changes his tunes. He does that except with my absolute favorites.

I think that unless I really, really, really love and live without an S name, I think I’m breaking the trend. Also [name]Sebastian[/name] is [name]WAY[/name] popular here.

Thanks…like I said, I think [name]Penn[/name] is dead for us. Could work as a middle name but I was thinking of going with my husband’s first name as a middle name? It’s sort of a tradition in our little family. His name is [name]Gavin[/name]. If it works only.

[name]Rory[/name] reminds me a bit of [name]Rory[/name] [name]Gilmore[/name], but not with [name]Rory[/name] McIllroy it is becoming more boy to me. We’ll see… I have to think about this one more.

OK-- so the short list so far appears to be:

[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Nash[/name]
Bowden
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Beck[/name]
[name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Rhodes[/name]
Bixby
?[name]Huxley[/name]
[name]Devlin[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]

You thought you might like an A name-- what about

[name]Anson[/name]
[name]Abbott[/name]
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Ansel[/name] (as in [name]Adams[/name])
[name]Acton[/name]
[name]Adler[/name]
[name]Alton[/name]
Ames
[name]Auden[/name]

I tried to repond a few times but keep hitting cancel instead of post reply!

Anyhow, I think the short list has become more:
Bowden
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Tatum[/name]/[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Nash[/name]

[name]Huxley[/name] is too Huxtables.
[name]Devlin[/name] - I think he might like and I prefer to [name]Donal[/name] and [name]Darren[/name], but I’m having concerns about Devli start because if your eye looks really quick it can see Devil. I’m going to check with him on this one.
[name]Rhodes[/name] - Not sureI like names that end in S. Although [name]Hayes[/name] seems fine.

I do like [name]Auden[/name] and [name]Abbott[/name]. I’ll have to check with him on these.

I’m starting to really like Bowden. But does anyone see bow down there? Also, I did a search and was surprised to find Bowden/[name]Boden[/name]/[name]Bode[/name] get a lot of negative reactions. I guess that means it won’t ever be [name]Aiden[/name] popular, but why does this name get very little nameberry love? I love the nickname potential.

[name]How[/name] do you feel about [name]Bo[/name] alone? I really like the opportunity to use Bodie as a nickname with Bowden, but my husband is saying he liks just [name]Bo[/name]. It seems even more southern to me than [name]Beau[/name].

I’m feeling like I may have to do a [name]Brayden[/name] or [name]Brennan[/name] cop-out to appease his [name]Brendan[/name]/brandon love. It seems everyone here is named [name]Cayden[/name] or [name]Jayden[/name], so I can only imagine the Braydens I haven’t met.

Hmmm, “bow down” might be a problem, but honestly the first thing I think of is bows, as in bows and arrows, and Bowdoin College. I like the sounds.

Nameberry tends to frown on naming crazes, and the “invent a name ending with -en” is one of them right now, in keeping with the megapopularity of [name]Jaden[/name] and [name]Aidan[/name]. It’s too bad, since a lot of very nice, legitimate names get thrown out with the bathwater.

[name]Bo[/name] to me is very southern rocker. It’s cute but I think it’s best left as a nickname, as it’s very informal.

[name]Both[/name] [name]Brennan[/name] and [name]Brendan[/name] are classic Irish names and are very nice. [name]Brennan[/name], however, suffers from the fact that [name]Bren[/name]- name are given to lots of little girls ([name]Brenna[/name], [name]Brenda[/name], etc) and [name]Brendan[/name] is often misheard as the much more popular [name]Brandon[/name]. But they’re fine names, if that’s the way you go.

You’ve come up with a great, very distinctive list. Good luck!