~ your useable shortlist

I love you name style!

[name_f]My[/name_f] tops for today would be: (these are the names that i know would be accepted the best out of the names I like)
Boys

1. [name_m]Conrado[/name_m]
  2. [name_m]Estevao[/name_m]
  3. [name_m]Benicio[/name_m]
  4. [name_m]Teodoro[/name_m]
  5. [name_m]Salvador[/name_m]

Girls

1. [name_f]Emelina[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Arabela[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Violeta[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Sancha[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
5 Likes

Girls :star2:

1. Iskra :sparkles: ; ā€œSparkā€ (one of my fave names!! To me, this name symbolizes a spark of hope - a willingness to keep going and persevering :relaxed:)
  2. Medena :honey_pot: ā€œhoneyā€ (To me, this name symbolizes a person who is sweet like honey, who is protective of others and fearless like bees. A person thatā€™s always striving to do the right thing - and it also reminds me of my grandpa who has the nickname Medo! So itd also be a way to honor him, especially since heā€™s a beekeeper and a sweet person :blush:)
  3. Cveta/Cvita :bouquet: ; ā€œBloomā€ (I love this name so much too! This name to me symbolizes a person who is as strong as flowers are; willing to adapt and grow just like a flower does, and always ready to take on new ideas and places.)
  4. ViÅ”nja :cherries:ā€cherryā€ (To me this name symbolizes growth and blossoming of something wonderful. Itā€™s also not super overused or common as much anymore, and I love the meaning behind the name and why it was given to people. It also reminds me of my grandma in a way :blush:)
  5. Drina :ocean: ; ā€œRiver Nameā€ (name of river that flows between Serbia and Bosnia, derived from Latin name of river. To me, this name symbolizes a person who is strong - willing to keep moving no matter what life throws at them, just like how turbulent waves of a river can be. I love the history behind this name, and it has a strong connection to my culture and makes me think of how we are all connected in a way).

Boys :white_heart:

1. Draža :white_heart:ā€™ ; ā€œSweetest, dearest" (One of my favorite Serbian names, this name to me symbolizes a person who is sweet and kind; always wanting to help someone out or make someone smile. Itā€™s been one of my favorite names for a while, and I can see myself for sure using it. Itā€™s not popular or as common, but its easy to say and spell, and ties into my culture and has a lot of history to it :relaxed:
  2. Vuk :wolf: ā€œWolfā€ (Love the symbolization of this name - the strength given from this name. I can picture a brave, smart person. Lots of history dated back to this name, especially as itā€™s a really traditional Serbian name and itā€™s easy to say and spell :blush:)
  3. NjegoÅ” :european_castle:; ā€œto nutureā€ (To me, this name symbolizes a person who cares for others, and loves to grow from their mistakes; they are strong and kind in everything they do. Thereā€™s so much history to this name, and it has a strong connection to my culture as well - plus itā€™s known well where my family is from, but isnā€™t too popular or overused :slight_smile:
  4. Srećko :four_leaf_clover:; ā€œluck, luckyā€ (To me, this name symbolizes a person who always wanting to have happiness and finding new things each time. I love the meaning behind this name, and itā€™s history.
  5. Jaćim :dove:- ā€œSaint nameā€ (form of Joakim in Serbian; Aćim as a nickname. I really like how this name is after a Saint; it gives me imagery of a person who wants to be stronger, works hard, and is brave.)
    Alsooo I know you said only 5 boy names, but I had to add these two since theyā€™re also super special to me :joy:
  • MiloÅ” or MiÅ”aā˜€ļø; ā€œlover of gloryā€. (to me, this name symbolizes a person who is caring, loves to be outside and in nature; and is adventurous and always wants to win. Also reminds me of my grandpa Mičo, which is nice :))
  • Jovan :maple_leaf: ; ā€œgod is graciousā€ (To me, this name symbolizes a person who is strong; both mentally and emotionally . They know whatā€™s best for them, and they keep striving to work hard and smart. Itā€™s also the name of my Saint for my Slava, so that makes this name even more special to me :))
12 Likes

omg I love the whole thing about [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] being Eleanorā€™s little girl!! [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is one of the names I would consider for a child and the other day on TV I came across another [name_f]Emily[/name_f] with a little daughter called Maisie!! :joy:

5 Likes

Girls:

[name_f]Mia[/name_f]

I love the lilting, musical sound of [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and the meaning ā€˜mineā€™ (or, if you spin it as a diminutive of [name_u]Maria[/name_u], it could also be ā€˜drop of the seaā€™ or ā€˜belovedā€™). [name_f]Mia[/name_f] has been my #1 since I met my dear friend with the same name and I totally understand why sheā€™s so popular!

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]

Iā€™m not really sure why I like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], but Iā€™ve always felt drawn to her. Sheā€™s contemporary and modern but still with some history, and I love the nicknames [name_f]Immy[/name_f] and [name_f]Ginny[/name_f]!

[name_f]Bronte[/name_f]

[name_f]My[/name_f] love for [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] has quite recently crept up on me. I first heard of the name through swimmer [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u], who as well as being an incredibly talented athlete, is a wonderful person, and it has grown on me ever since! [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] combines strength and softness and I also love the literary connection to the [name_f]Brontƫ[/name_f] sisters.

[name_f]Lily[/name_f]

I used to prefer [name_f]Lila[/name_f] (which I still like) but one day [name_f]Lily[/name_f] just clicked. I love the nature connection and also the [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] association. Sheā€™s soft and sweet and I love the way she just rolls off your tongue!

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

[name_f]My[/name_f] goodness choosing #5 was hard! I seriously considered [name_f]Stella[/name_f], and [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] has also held this spot, but I went with [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. Sheā€™s probably the longest-standing name on my list, as I fell in love with her after finding out it was the name of one of my mumā€™s students, back when I was 11! I adore the nicknames Maevey and [name_f]Mae[/name_f].

Honourable mentions: [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]

Boys:

[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]

Similar to [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], Iā€™m not quite sure why I love [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]. Heā€™s just the perfect sounding name to me and I can picture all sorts of boys with this name. The gemstone meaning also ties into the meaning of my own name, which I think is a cute, subtle link!

[name_u]Evan[/name_u]

[name_u]Evan[/name_u] has been a constant on my list for pretty much forever. I go back and forth on him but I just adore the sound. It also hits the ā€˜sweet spotā€™ of known but not super popular for me.

[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]

Iā€™ve always felt that Iā€™d have a child with the nickname [name_u]Rue[/name_u] and I love the gentle quirkiness of [name_m]Reuben[/name_m].

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]

Probably couldnā€™t use this with [name_u]Evan[/name_u] but at the moment I am absolutely obsessed with the idea of a son named [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] ā€˜Nedā€™! I love the [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] connection even though [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] isnā€™t the nicest character.

[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]

Slightly older-sounding than some of my other names, [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] feels timeless and universal to me.

Honourable mentions: [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] (actually really surprised I left him off the list, but Iā€™m not in love with the sound any more), [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u]

10 Likes

Girls:

Kuyili
Izhayini
Kayal / Kayalvizhi

Boys

[name_m]Aran[/name_m]
Kadhiravan
Athiyaman

I have a very short list of names that I can actually use because I live in [name_f]India[/name_f] and I intend to give my children Tamil names but my problem is I actually love fery few Tamil names.

5 Likes

I LOVE [name_f]Fionnuala[/name_f] :slight_smile:

2 Likes

girlsā€¦

1. annabelle ā€œannieā€ ~ sheā€™s been my top name since i was three years old, and iā€™m still set on using her!
  2. dahlia ā€œdollyā€ ~ iā€™ve loved her for a few years, and i think sheā€™s just so sweet and beautiful
  3. charlotte ā€œcharlieā€ ~ sheā€™s been on my list for a few years, and i think sheā€™s classic and lovely
  4. cecily ~ i just recently started loving her, and i love the imagery that she gives!
  5. meredith ā€œmerryā€ ~ sheā€™s a pretty recent discovery, and i canā€™t get over how beautiful she is!

boysā€¦

1. gideon ~ i love the name gideon and how beautifully biblical he is!
  2. finlay ā€œfinnā€ ~ finn is probably my longest love, and finlay is a pretty newfound full name for him
  3. leo ~ an honor name which i just love!
  4. theodore ā€œteddyā€ ~ iā€™m a big little women fan (jo and laurie should have been together!) and i adore teddy as a nickname!
  5. edmund ~ also a huge narnia fan! edmund is such a sweet and charming name!
11 Likes

isnā€™t fionnuala such a wonderful name!! i always love finding others who like her :smiling_face:

3 Likes

This was my usable shortlist:
Boys:
[name_u]George[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]

GIRLS

[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Marta[/name_f]

5 Likes

For boys, itā€™s so easy for me. Iā€™ve had a very steady usable shortlist sinceā€¦pretty much forever. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] ā€œTeddyā€ ā€“ honors my grandfather (I hesitate just a little to use it because he doesnā€™t love the name, but I love it so much and canā€™t deny that itā€™s my favorite. So, weā€™ll see!)
  2. [name_u]Henry[/name_u] ā€“ just have always loved it, such a sweet and timeless classic
  3. [name_u]Daniel[/name_u] ā€“ honors my father, sounds so strong and steady
  4. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] ā€“ just love it + it feels like a fresh old-fashioned choice
  5. [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] ā€“ exact same reasons as [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]

For girls, Iā€™m constantly falling in and out of love with names, and I currently only have two that have been steady favorites that I can 100% see myself using. The other three are kind of just of the moment. :sweat_smile:

1. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] ā€“ honors my mother, pretty and rare without being too out-there
  2. [name_f]Elanor[/name_f] ā€œNellā€ ā€“ just have always loved it, and the nn honors my great-grandmother
  3. [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] ā€“ just so pretty and happy and charming :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  4. [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] ā€“ elegant and refreshingly old-fashioned
  5. [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] ā€“ such a strong classic that I just love
11 Likes

This is quite tough, especially with my partner in mind, but I think I can do it!

1. [name_f]Thora[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] fave, partner isnā€™t as fond, but has agreed to let me use it.

2. [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] ā€œDellaā€ - This is a family name for me and I like it, but worry itā€™s too grand

3. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] - Very cute, but canā€™t really image this being our daughterā€™s name

4. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - We both love it, but I want to use it as an honour middle. I also hate the way my partner pronounces it (he makes it sound like Eleaner instead of nor and it bugs me)

5. [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] ā€œRomyā€ - This is the newest addition to our list, I quite like it, especially with a fresher nn than [name_f]Mona[/name_f].

6. [name_u]August[/name_u] - We both love this and itā€™s our top pick, we can picture our son being named [name_u]August[/name_u], but worry about its skyrocketing popularity.

7. [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] - Feels like a good alternative to [name_u]August[/name_u], itā€™s got the soft vibe we like, and way less popular.

8. [name_u]Mars[/name_u] - Partner is really feeling this, I agree its cool. I think we decided it should be a middle because of the way the S runs into our last name which starts with a vowel.

9. [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] - Both really like this one, but it hasnā€™t surpassed any of the others, likely to be used as a middle.

10. [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] - We have both always loved it, but it doesnā€™t sound great with our last name.

6 Likes

update: indiana nn undecidd is out, indiana nn windy is in !

3 Likes

Boys:

1. Evan Nathaniel - My forever love boy name
  2. Ethan Scott - Another long time favorite, Scott also honors my childhood hero as well as a beloved hs teacher
  3. Jude Emrys - I just love him honestly.
  4. Graham Millard - I fell hard for the name Graham, heā€™s so soft and sweet. Millard honors my best friend.
  5. Benjamin Luca - Benjamin is another favorite and I love that ā€œJamieā€ can be a nn for it because I ADORE Jamie on a boy but prefer it as a nn. Luca honors a childhood teacher that changed my life.

Girls:

1. Krystal Lynn - My forever love girl name and an indirect honor to the same teacher I pulled Luca from. Lynn also honors both of my sisters. One has the mn Lynn and the otherā€™s name is Jacqueline so it ends with the same sound. Tully as a nn came about when I fell for Kristin Hannahā€™s Firefly Lane character, Tully. Since I pronounce Krystal as ā€œChris-tullā€ it felt easily adaptable as a nn for Krystal, as well as unsuspecting and so much more fun than the usual Kris, Krissy and Kristi.
  2. Rowan Valerie - I just adore Rowan on a girl. Valerie honors my younger sister and my nana. The nn Ronnie (pulling Ro and n from Rowan and ie from Valerie) is an honor name to another childhood teacher that changed my life.
  3. Michaela Doreen - A triple honor name. Michaela honors both my best friend, whose mn is Michelle, and another hs teacher who became a father figure to me, whose mn is Michael. Doreen honors a manager, friend and mother figure in my life. Itā€™s just straight up her name, nothing indirect here, I just kinda fell in love with her name. Micah as the nn is honestly just my favorite nn for a Michael/Michaela and I love that itā€™s a unisex nn.
  4. Noa Liliana - Itā€™s just SO PRETTY, I love her.
  5. Chloe Emilia - Not only do I just love it for the same reason I love Noa Liliana, but itā€™s got a bit of history coming from a story I wrote with my sister. I fell so hard for the pet name ā€œCloverā€ we used in the story and Chloe Emilia was forever put on my baby list after that!

(Gutted I canā€™t include Madeleine Mae in the list; sheā€™s definitely a close runner up! Madeleine comes from a song I love by a band I grew up loving and who I credit with keeping me going when everything seemed so dark, which happens to be the theme of that song as well. A truly, truly beautiful song Iā€™d love to name a daughter after. Mae would be an honor to an aunt with the same mn.)

3 Likes

GIRLS

1. Sylvie-Iā€™m pretty sure the first time I saw [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], I thought it was a typo, so we didnā€™t get off to the best start. I think I was when I joined the forums and began to see [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] more that I discovered how much I loved it. Now, itā€™s at the top of my list.
    Middle name: [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]
  2. Juno-Not to sure how I came by [name_f]Juno[/name_f] but I love itā€™s spunky, quirky feel. I also love the film [name_f]Juno[/name_f] so thatā€™s a plus.
    Middle name: [name_u]Endellion[/name_u], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], or [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
  3. Elowen-Not too sure on how [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] came to be.
    Middle name: [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
  4. Rose-In the beginning of my namenerd life, I felt that [name_f]Rose[/name_f] was way to classic for me. Overtime, I came to appreciate her sweet, timeless feel and after watching Titanic, I started to love [name_f]Rose[/name_f] even more.
    Middle name: ?
  5. Florence-Not too sure about how [name_u]Florence[/name_u] came to be either, but I love her sophisticated feel.

Honorable mention goes to [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], who typically #3 for me. Sheā€™s just SO associated with [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings. Middle name: ?.

BOYS

1. Caspian-I just love how bold [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is. Before he was my runner up, but once my previous #1 wasnā€™t feeling as right anymore, he moved up and I couldnā€™t be happier.
    Middle name: [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
  2. Ambrose-I love how mysterious yet cuddly [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] feels and I sort of love the nickname [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] for a boy.
    Middle name: ?, maybe [name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m] or [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
  3. Atticus-I love how snappy, strong, and quirky [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] is. It is definitely associated with To Kill a Mockingbird, but that doesnā€™t bother me.
  4. Atlas-I love so many A names so itā€™ll be so hard to pick when I have kids many years from now. I love how bold [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] is and the mythology connection is a plus.
    Middle name: [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] or [name_m]Pendragon[/name_m]
  5. Oliver-My only name with a good story. [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] is one of my very first loves. It was the name I was really pushing for when one of my teachers a while ago was pregnant. After she didnā€™t use it, [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] sorta just stuck as a favorite of mine. He was #1 for a while, but he is very popular.
    Middle name: [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]

Honorable mention to [name_m]Elio[/name_m]. Middle name: [name_u]James[/name_u].

4 Likes

Everyone probably knows my usable shortlist by now but :sweat_smile:

boys:

1. Forest/Forrest
  2. [name_u]Florian[/name_u]
  3. [name_u]Ira[/name_u]
  4. [name_u]Ciel[/name_u]
  5. [name_u]August[/name_u]
Summary

[name_u]Nature[/name_u] names are a family tradition for the last generation, and the quote ā€œ nature held me close and seemed to find no fault in me ā€œ has been very relevant to me. This will go for all the floral/naturey namesā€¦so, all the boy names, basically. [name_u]August[/name_u] is the month my family used to get together every year in.

[name_u]Ira[/name_u]. No reason, I donā€™t think you need one. Heā€™s just cool.

girls:

1. [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
  2. [name_u]Fern[/name_u]
  3. [name_f]Marilla[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
Summary

[name_f]Opal[/name_f] is my mothers birth stone, and the name of some book characters I adored growing up, like the star in Because of Winn-Dixie.

[name_u]Fern[/name_u] is a nature name; see above, and Charlottes [name_m]Web[/name_m] was my absolute favorite film as a kid!

[name_f]Marilla[/name_f] is a literary name, a character in [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables, which I treasure. Me and my mom used to fangirl about it.

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] is both the name of my late abuela, and the real name of [name_u]Baby[/name_u] in Dirty Dancing, a film I watched many times over with my mother. Yes, weā€™re very close!

The fifth is [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. Itā€™s my great grandmothers middle name, but to be frank, I had no idea when I listed it.

I used to think girls names were easy, because I have two I love locked away. But the more I get into names, the more I realize I love soo many more boys names! I like so many girls names, but love has been hard to come by. I think my only real ā€œlovesā€ are [name_f]Opal[/name_f] and sometimes [name_u]Fern[/name_u]. One will grow on meā€¦

4 Likes

i donā€™t have a significant other so i can put whatever i want on this list!

in no particular orderā€¦
boys ~

1. shasta: first of all, i love the way it sounds. it first clicked when i was at a plant nursery and saw shasta daisiesā€¦but i also associate it with c. s. lewisā€™s the horse and his boy
  2. crispin: itā€™s very succinct and pretty, similar to corin or collin. i love the shakespeare reference to henry v - st. crispinā€™s day
  3. robin: a darling name. i know two robins that i really like and i love that it ties into robin hood.
  4. percival ā€œpercyā€: a super strong boyā€™s name, i think any little boy would love to have a knightā€™s name, plus percy as a nickname is precious <3
  5. bendigo: so i found this name when i was taking a class on australian archaeology and i fell in love with it. itā€™s a town in australia but itā€™s a fresh take on benjamin and still lends itself to the nn ben.

girls~

1. linnea: itā€™s mellifluous and flows off the tongue, plus i love the subtle nod to carl linnaeus, the inventor of taxonomy. iā€™d love to pair it with felicity: linnea felicity
  2. melisande: also so beautiful sounding, princess-y with a touch of melancholy, a name from one of my favorite operas: pelleas et melisande by claude debussy
  3. salomĆ©: itā€™s so beautiful and i love that it means peace and has biblical associations
  4. acadia: i have liked this name since i was a child and visited maine. iā€™ve always wanted to pair it with evangeline
  5. josephine: so spunky yet feminine, with ties to little women, and i love the nn ā€œjoā€ middle name would probably be rosalee
5 Likes

the exact reason opal is on my list! (except that itā€™s my dadā€™s birthstone) :purple_heart:

thank you for sharing, i absolutely love your names!

1 Like

new useable shortlist!*

boys ~
ā€¢ [name_u]Leo[/name_u]
ā€¢ [name_m]Silas[/name_m]
ā€¢ [name_m]Roman[/name_m]
ā€¢ [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
ā€¢ [name_m]Silvestro[/name_m]

girls ~
ā€¢ [name_f]Aline[/name_f]
ā€¢ [name_u]LĆ©onie[/name_u]
ā€¢ [name_f]Eve[/name_f]
ā€¢ [name_f]Julietta[/name_f]
ā€¢ [name_f]Apolline[/name_f]

2 Likes

taking italian names because as an italian person currently living in italy, if i am here i will probably avoid some foreign names that are difficult for people to say. also i might wonā€™t be able to some names that are more particular like persefone (italian version of persephone) and keep it as guilty pleasure, but the first five names i have thought are: :strawberry::sparkles:

• anastasia violante / violante anastasia
  • minerva ludovica (but not the opposite because i like ludovica, but it is SO popular here.)
  • clara ottilia /ottilia clara
  • luisa adelaide /adelaide luisa
  • lavinia sara / sara lavinia (honouring my favourite childhood novel which accompanied me for all my childhood and sometimes still now.)

wanted to add ā€œdiana artemisiaā€ too but they both are the names or titles of the same goddess, it would be like naming a child diana artemis lol which is not a problem for me, but i chose the first ones they came in mind and that can also work both in italy and outside. (artemisia is maybe not usable out of italy?) below are the boy names: :sparkles::bouquet:

• achille edoardo
  • giulio alessandro
  • amedeo costantino
  • orlando valentino
  • leopoldo federico
3 Likes

[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] - love the meaning
[name_m]Soren[/name_m] - love the potential for [name_u]Ren[/name_u] as a nickname
[name_m]Granger[/name_m] - so many literary and historical references that I love
[name_m]Talmadge[/name_m] - it just sounds great
[name_m]Otto[/name_m] - love the potential for [name_u]Otter[/name_u] as a nickname

[name_f]Linnea[/name_f] - love the nature meaning and that it is Swedish
[name_f]Sabina[/name_f] - have loved this name for years
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - a family name on both sides that is used in some of my favorite books and I love the nickname [name_u]Alba[/name_u]
[name_f]Kendra[/name_f] - used in some of my favorite books
[name_f]Isola[/name_f] - love the flow and the potential for nickname Iso or Sola

6 Likes