At what point is a name cultural appropriation?

When picking out my first name, I had a discussion with a friend about not choosing names outside of my culture. It got me thinking. At what point is it cultural appropriation? A white couple naming their child a Japanese name is definitely appropriation but what else is?
I’m curious to hear your thoughts, berries!

1 Like

Interesting question! In my opinion, I think if a couple are picking a name with a very strong cultural link, that unless you or your partner have a direct cultural connection to a name, its worth staying away. Especially when that cultural link is from a culture / nationality that has been oppressed historically.

I can understand people appreciating a culture, but appropriation happens when people who historically (and unfortunately, currently) experience persecution and oppression for their culture / nationality / race have parts of their culture used by those who have benefitted, however indirectly, from that oppression.

My feelings would be that if it feels wrong it probably is worth steering clear of.

2 Likes

If the person/people using it don’t respect the culture. That’s the line. For example, with some names it would be completely inappropriate to gender bend within the culture, so someone outside of the culture shouldn’t use that boy name for a girl (or vice versa). Similarly, some names are considered sacred, and shouldn’t be used outside the culture, or perhaps even at all within the culture, so if someone used that name, it would be appropriation.

I actually disagree that a white couple using a Japanese name is always, definitely, 100% cultural appropriation. It certainly has the potential to be, but if the couple is respecting the culture by keeping in mind all of what I said above, and not choosing the name for an inappropriate or obsessive reason, it doesn’t strike me as appropriation. Especially if they do their research beforehand, including asking people who are Japanese (and, I’d recommend asking those who are Japanese-American, or whatever country they’re in, because that response might be different and would be more relevant to the topic of cultural appropriation) if the name would be appropriate outside of that culture, and most importantly, listening even if the answer they get isn’t the one they wanted.

I hate the idea that people have to stick to “their own culture” when using names. I think that people should do their research before choosing a name, especially if it’s a name outside of their culture, and they need to listen to others. The line between appropriation and not isn’t black and white, nor is it straight, and I don’t think anyone can accurately place it. This is why I think it’s up to the individual to make the best decision for themself, using unbiased research and gathering opinions from others who know more. This would include learning about racial prejudice and historical (and present-day) oppression, which I believe everyone should do regardless.

14 Likes

there’s actually a pretty extensive thread on this from a few weeks ago! I think it’s called names & culture.

1 Like

Personally, my view is that if a name has a very specific and significant cultural or religious meaning in a culture/religion that you have no ties to then you shouldn’t use it.
So for example, I’m [name_u]Christian[/name_u] and I would never name my child [name_m]Mohammed[/name_m] because that’s a name of a sacred Muslim prophet in Islam and that would be super disrespectful in my opinion.
I think naming your child a ‘native’ name with significant cultural meaning is inappropriate if you do not belong to that community. There are just certain boundaries that shouldn’t be crossed and can lead to your choices being viewed as disrespectful.
On the other hand, a person naming their child [name_f]Frances[/name_f] meaning ‘from france’ wouldn’t necessarily be cultural appropriation if they weren’t from there because that’s more to do with the etymology of the word and in my opinion is not ‘culturally specific’. It’s the same with your choice of [name_m]Roman[/name_m].

In general, I think its best to use names from cultures /languages/ religions you have connections with or that have no sacred or specific meanings. If that makes any sense.

6 Likes

Completely agree with @SparkleNinja18
If you use the name correctly I don’t see why you can’t. You just have to make sure you’re respectful and not offending anybody with a name.
Also most family’s have mixed cultures ( I know mine is!) and it’s entirely ok to use a name from a different culture. What happens is that you’re adding more diversity and that means that people won’t be stereotyping that one culture is full of certain names.
But there are some boundaries that I don’t think you should use especially if they are important, sacred, and uber religious that if you named your child this you would make most people uncomfortable.
Someone naming their kid a Japanese, [name_m]German[/name_m], African, or [name_u]French[/name_u] name is just that, a name. And we as a people have much better transportation, so many people have been around to different countries and because of that we have learned of different names from different cultures. Whereas hundreds of years ago those names probably meant a lot to some cultures because they were important to them and signified their culture.
Now as the world has become a melting pot, I think people should expect to see a Japanese kid with a name like [name_u]Logan[/name_u]( which has a Scottish origin). I’m just saying that people shouldn’t be stereotypical about names belonging to a culture and that we should all be more open minded as well as respectful with naming our children.:grin:

3 Likes

I absolutely love your responses, @anon73426543, @SparkleNinja18, and @MargotAbeline ! I didn’t really think of it like that. You’re definitely right that the world is much more of a melting pot and how people have mixed cultures in their families, mine is the same!
I also agree that someone who isn’t Islamic shouldn’t use the name [name_m]Mohammed[/name_m]. But certain [name_u]Christian[/name_u] names are so commonplace in many countries that they feel up for grabs, even if you’re not [name_u]Christian[/name_u]. I, myself, am an atheist and I wouldn’t feel weird about naming a kid [name_f]Mary[/name_f] (although I wouldn’t since I don’t like clearly biblical names).

Thanks for all of your responses (so far)!! I love hearing everyone’s views on it :))

2 Likes

Here’s the topic @dejectedpiglet mentioned :point_down:

I’m going to repost here what I posted in that thread (regarding India as a name, but you could extend it to white people with no cultural connections using Indian names in general), because for me this is the crux of it. It’s about power and status, and whether or not there’s an imbalance.

However, I do agree with @SparkleNinja18 that it’s a complex thing and very individual. Knowledge of and respect towards the culture in question is really important, but it’s not a get-out-of-cultural-appropriation-free card. It’s also crucial to recognise and accept that the ultimate mark of respect might actually be not to use the name you love (Cohen is a particularly controversial one, for example).

5 Likes

The article you attached about [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] is a really really really wonderful source and I strongly encourage everyone to take a look!

5 Likes

I know, isn’t it great?! Standing ovation for [name_f]Duana[/name_f] :clap:

5 Likes

Thanks so much, especially for the article on [name_m]Cohen[/name_m]! It was a great read and everything was explained really well :))

2 Likes