Fave Modern Made-up Name

My dad jokingly suggested Maiden when my mom was pregnant with me :joy:. I think it’s would be a cool middle!

2 Likes

Wait! I have an ancestor with the middle name Moonbeam! No kidding I seriously do! But other than that I can’t come up with any made up names right now.:grin:

3 Likes

I really like it! :rofl::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve never heard Luminara, but it’s so pretty!

And I totally agree that [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] is an awesome name :wink: I associate it with the game and one of the aunts from [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] the Teenage Witch.

1 Like

That’s so interesting! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know the story of why they were given the middle name Moonbeam?

I recently heard Ellaby as a surname and thought it would be so cute and fit right in with modern names!

3 Likes

Ellaby is darling! Another one for @lumosmaxima to add to her list :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I’ve been really busy all day!:wink:
I can’t currently remember her first name but I do remember that her middle was Moonbeam and I thought it was so cool. Part of my family is [name_u]Cherokee[/name_u] [name_f]Indian[/name_f], so we believe that Moonbeam was like her “native” name if you get what I mean and then she had a rather common first name. But that’s just what most of my family believes since it was many decades ago.:blush:

1 Like

Thank you so much. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::kissing_heart: I love that her dad and I put it together. Because we are the last to have kids in our families and friends alot of our top choices were used up or too similar to others so we felt we needed something different. Couldn’t imagine her being called anything else x

1 Like

I started looking through the thread and found that many of the modern, made-up names listed actually do have a long history. If you all love some of these names and are only not using them due to the seemingly modern, made-up feel, then don’t pass them by if you think you will regret letting them get away.

@tianagrace Katara was being used as a name in the 1970s and 1980s from what I’ve found. Evanora has been used (from what I’ve found) since the 1860s.

@Paxramena There was Aelin(s) in the first 1/2 of the 1900s.

@SparkleNinja18 Both Eowyn and Sansa have a long history. If you love them, use them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There’s too many!

I love Roran, Ollivander, Evandar, Eragon, Aragorn, Asriel, Sozin, Korra, Kuzon, Valyria, Song, Adora, Tauriel (but prefer on a boy), Jinora, Ismira, Catra, Enduriel, Varian, Thoradin, Eldarion, Arondil/Arandil, Anduril, Anduin, Vanir, Balto, Thorin, Bato, Tyrion, Orrin, Ozai, Orik, Roku, Theoden, Galadriel, Islanzadi, Nymphadora, Daenerys, Hrothgar. If mythology also counts, then I have some like Hippolyta, Themiscira in addition to some of the more popular ones like Athena and Odin

The ones I possibly made up: Arathorn, Avabel, Alderyn, Elysian, Asgardia, Valira, Elsmira/Elsmir, Elsira/Elzira, Akura, Ailuri (red panda), flowers Lunaria, Lonicera, Linaria, Saponaria, Scaevola, Lavatera, Torenia, and Sororia

The ones I’ve met (though I’m not sure if all are made up): ChiAyr$h, Kailua, Emryn, Naiya, Ahrielle, and Anadice

From the ones already mentioned, I love Aang, Iroh, Katara, Zarlia, Eowyn (I know it’s in LotR but I think it’s a real name like what Shelly said), Evatina, Natalyn, Laurentina, Novalie, Ethelmary, Evanora, Atice, Arya (though is actually a ‘real’ name), Aelin, Rainstorm, Moonlight, and I already named my big fluffy white dog named Appa :joy:

I also love Zelda but I don’t think it’s actually made up name though most people associate it with the video game. Nb says it’s a diminutive of Griselda and it was at its peak in US popularity in 1911 as #376 which is before the video game came out

Moonbeam is cute though I’ll probably mishear it as Mung bean initially but I don’t think that’s a bad association (it’s my favorite asian dessert flavor!) so I endorse Moonbeam! lol

I do this a lot too lol :rofl:

4 Likes

Hate to sound like I’m dashing your creativity, but Avabel, [name_u]Elysian[/name_u], Valira, and [name_f]Avira[/name_f] (amongst others) were used 100 years+ ago. I love the names though.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have known if it weren’t for the fact that I’m the one documenting the family history. I took over after my Granny passed. She and Papa spent their retirement traveling the country recording it all.

2 Likes

I think those two were actually the names people in the areas our family lived in, not my ancestors. They put down as much of the area as possible, including people they spent time with.

2 Likes

I was going by if they’re on Nameberry (I realize I accidentally added [name_f]Avira[/name_f] though) or readily come up as people’s names on google lol like I can only find Valira on 2 questionable websites and everyone else keep thinking I’m try to say [name_f]Valeria[/name_f] :rofl: I’m sure practically everything has been at least one person’s name at some point but they’re apparently rare enough (in the US at least) to not show up on SSA’s top 1000 list. I know some are real words of various things like [name_u]Elysian[/name_u] Fields/Elysium in Greek mythology. Edit: I just realized Elysian is in Nb’s database so my bad

That’s cool! [name_f]My[/name_f] aunt and grandmother have our long family tree dating to the 1600s but I’ve only seen it for like 10 seconds once but would love to acquire and study it

1 Like

No worries. I understand completely. :blush: It took forever for me to be able to find my name on any naming website – it’s finally been added. If it weren’t for finally finding the US SSA website and a couple of infamous people with the name, I would have thought it was made up.

I hope you get a chance to acquire it someday. :slight_smile: We’ve made it back to the 800s, I think, on one side of the family. We’ve only made it back to my great-great-grandparents on the other. :wink:

1 Like

Lmk which others are real names of people you found as I’m curious :grin:

And perhaps add the names here :grin: What names have we missed?

1 Like

Will do.

2 Likes

I’m looking at FN & MN. I’m only doing a quick search. Most records held birth years of 100+ years ago, with some dating back into the 1700s. There were uses of a couple of the names into the 2000s.

Names with documented history: Arathorn, Avabel, [name_u]Elysian[/name_u], Valira, Elsmira, Elsmir, Elsira, [name_f]Elzira[/name_f], Akura, Ailuri, Lunaria, Lonicera, Linaria, Saponaria, Scaevola, Lavatera, Torenia, Sororia

No records found: Asgardia

Personally, I think Asgardia is great. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks! Are you also looking at an online source like SSA or is it all from your Granny’s records? If the former, how do we get there? [name_m]Can[/name_m] you link it?