Hot Takes? 🤭

I haven’t been around here quite as long as a lot of you guys so maybe I just don’t get it, but I agree. They’re just names, and for a lot of members they aren’t even names for real children. I don’t really get why it would matter if more than one person loves the same name. In fact, shouldn’t that actually be a good thing? I would take it as a compliment.

And just to add more to it, in real life I always think it’s weird when people get upset when their neighbor’s cousin’s friend “steals” their baby name. Obviously if someone I am close with and see often used a baby name I would be upset, but someone you have very little or no relationship with? Who cares. You don’t have ownership over a name.

9 Likes

That thread is more like suggestions thread. I post so many names that aren’t on my own list, but deserve someone’s attention.

3 Likes

Ooh ok. That’s my fault not for understanding the thread, oh well. But still, my point still stands to a certain degree.

I’ve definitely seen some members in threads who seem to take it pretty seriously. But like I said, I haven’t been around very long so maybe I just don’t understand.

3 Likes

This is interesting. For example, I had [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] on my UC and saw it somewhere else so decided to remove it as I haven’t been on here that long I wasn’t sure what the nameberry etiquette is, so to speak. I can understand if someone has a really unusual one of a kind name but my naming taste is fairly mainstream so it’s quite likely I might inadvertently “copy” someone else’s name at some point.

6 Likes

Exactly! Like there are definitely several [name_f]Emma[/name_f] Marie’s in the world, but no one really cares.

4 Likes

It’s if it’s very close to home isn’t it. [name_f]My[/name_f] SIL is expecting a baby girl and if she uses my favourite name [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] for example, I would probably cry. But I don’t own the name so what can I do.

8 Likes

Sorry yeah just saw you’d basically written the same thing!

6 Likes

I agree somewhat, because often times names are not original. Combos like [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f], or [name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] can be came up with. But if someone looks at a user UC and takes it, then that is disrespectful to some people. UC’s are your own names. Several people can come up with a combo and put it on your UC, but not rare names. Like, if someone else put [name_u]Elysium[/name_u] [name_f]Vashti[/name_f] [name_u]Noor[/name_u] on there UC without crediting or asking @leafygreens I would be confused. That is a unique combo! Some people really like there combos and don’t want other people to pretend they made them. But if 2 people have the same combo they both made up, then that is fine and I see no problem

Plus adopt a combo is just fun.

4 Likes

Yes, that makes perfect sense

1 Like

Yeah of course close family is different. All of our nephews have C or K names - [name_m]Caden[/name_m], [name_m]Keaghan[/name_m], [name_u]Karson[/name_u] - and it’s super confusing, and the names don’t even sound that similar. So family or friends baby’s names I would definitely not take or use anything similar.
But like I saw someone said once something about they couldn’t use a name because it was their neighbor’s guinea pig’s name. A guinea pig lasts like 2 years max and your child will have their name for their whole life. Plus you might not even be neighbors forever.

2 Likes

I know this wasn’t the point of your post but one of my pigs is 2 and she’s still quite a sprightly girl so can we pls not write her off quite yet :pleading_face::laughing:

13 Likes

Haha sorry I actually don’t know the typical lifespan of a guinea pig. I just have had mice and rats and I know they typically live about 2 years so I just assumed guinea pigs would be similar. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed! if someone wanted to put any of my combos in their UC, or heck even use them for a real baby i would be flattered, not upset.

5 Likes

Well, according to google 4-8 yrs. I had them as a kid and they never made it past 2 so fingers crossed I’m doing better as an adult!! They are quite delicate though, I’d literally be amazed if one lived to 8! Anyway sorry all for hijacking this thread with guinea pig talk, I shall be quiet now! :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I dislike when a combo has a first name that ends in a and a middle the starts with a vowel. It seems less clear and harder to say. Sometimes I like a combo enough I forget this rule, but it annoys me.

7 Likes

Me too! It kind of surprises me how much people seem to not mind this, especially when using the middle name [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

2 Likes

Most of the combos in my UC aren’t super unique, so I wouldn’t be too angry if someone took them.

I do understand people with more unique combos not liking it if someone else were to use them, though.

7 Likes

I feel like we rehash this debate every week or so, and it probably will be rehashed til the end of time or the collapse of Nameberry or something. The people who feel like it’s name stealing are likely always going to feel that way, and the people who think it’s fine are probably always going to think it’s fine. I’m not saying it’s not great to share our opinions or hear the nuances or anything. But at the end of the day it’s not really an argument based on reaching the most “logical” answer, it’s more about people’s emotions and feelings. Again, not that I’m calling anyone illogical or anything - everyone has been very eloquent, reasonable and respectful. I just mean that since it isn’t something where there is a “right” or “wrong” factual answer, I don’t think it’s something we can particularly resolve, or even something where I think many people will be convinced to change their mind.

[name_m]Even[/name_m] if you were to acknowledge (as an example) that it doesn’t actually affect you much when someone uses a name from your UC, that doesn’t change the way some people feel about it. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if we are going to argue that people shouldn’t be upset - and perhaps they should, perhaps they shouldn’t - those people are still never going to be convinced not to feel that way, because that isn’t how emotions works. [name_u]Or[/name_u] vice versa with the other side of the argument. :man_shrugging:

25 Likes

Personally, I don’t agree with this. I don’t think you are wrong for not minding if someone takes a combination you’ve made but, I would take it personally and be very upset. That’s just my nature. If you get the combo from me please give me credit and ask to use it. I work hard on combos. They are what I want to name my future children. And if someone stole that and used it before I could, I would be pissed off. So, I think unless someone flat out says “take my combos free” I would never do it. And, I expect the same respect.

1 Like