Hot Takes? šŸ¤­

Yes! I canā€™t stress this enough. Lyle is pure perfection and Iā€™d use it in a heartbeat if it worked in my language(s).

1 Like

[name_m]Leroy[/name_m] and [name_m]Elroy[/name_m] are probably still too dated to be used, but maybe they could be anywayā€¦? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I want to like [name_u]Landry[/name_u], but all I see is ā€˜laundryā€™ :woozy_face:

17 Likes

whatā€™s wrong with laundry :pensive:

7 Likes

That is such a [name_m]Russ[/name_m] thing to say

11 Likes

nothing :pleading_face: just not the association i want

how long before weā€™re seeing a laundry combo in russyā€™s UC?

10 Likes

I am a working theater artist. Eliza and Angelica, while they are absolutely lovely names, permanently left my own list precisely because of the Hamilton fandom (I replaced them with Elizabeth and Angela which are now more my style anyway so it all worked out haha). I hear you loud and clear on this.

Actually, a lot of fandoms have ruined names for me, come to think of itā€¦ perhaps thatā€™s something for me to unpack for myself :upside_down_face:

(I could actually seriously do a whole rant on the theater fandom culture and all my ā€œhot takesā€ on Broadway, musicals, and the theater industry, but thatā€™s not a name thing so Iā€™ll keep it to myself lol).

10 Likes

ā€¦maybe itā€™s not name related but Iā€™d love to hear it :eyes:

6 Likes

Ask and you shall receive lol (Iā€™ve put it under a spoiler since itā€™s technically off topic).

Long comment incoming, and I honestly have even more; I tried to keep it to some of my broadest thoughts.

A few of Jackā€™s Theater Hot Takes (these are just my takes; if you disagree thatā€™s ok!):

• The Tonyā€™s matter a lot less than people make them out to, and often donā€™t reflect what musicals are best quality or most popular.

• Dear Evan Hansen is a just-ok musical with some good songs, but itā€™s fairly problematic.

• Hamilton is good, but not great, and doesnā€™t come close to matching the hype.

• The Secret Garden, The Great Comet of 1812, and The Bandā€™s Visit are criminally underrated.

• Many roles in plays and even musicals have genders unnecessarily assigned to the character, when they could be equally effectively played by an actor of any gender.

• Plays deserve just as much love as musicals, and some if not many musicals should have been plays.

• Small theaters often produce better quality and more enjoyable work for fewer resourcesā€” Broadway and national tours are a lot of fun, but please support your local community theatre instead if you have one and can!

• Musical theater / Broadway fandom is often toxic and is ultimately doing more harm than good to the theater industry by enabling the status quo instead of advocating for change.

• There is still a lot of rampant racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia, sizeism and ableism in the commercial theater industry and it is being swept under the rug. Notably problematic shows are still being produced on Broadway and even earning Tony awards and national tours.

• Virtual theater becoming a new and widely acceptedā€” being not just a ā€œtemporary COVID solutionā€ while also not replacing in person theaterā€” is key to the survival and proliferation of the theatre industry. It is just as legitimate and valid and has its own unique advantages too few are celebrating.

• Backstage crew, designers, playwrights, and stage management deserve more credit than they get (this isnā€™t a hot take in a lot of theatre circles but it still beats repeating).

• In keeping with the above, spectacle should not be the ultimate goal of theater. Bigger is not always better and a lot of shows suffer from being over-designed and under-directed.

• Theater is inherently political and performance has a lot of potential to inspire change. Values in theater are important and the language and message matters, even in shows that are ā€œlightā€ and ā€œfun.ā€

15 Likes

[name_f]Hestia[/name_f] is a cute name!! And it really should be used more :pleading_face:

19 Likes

donā€™t know if this is a hot take but-

stella is an extremely underrated name here on nameberry. the meaning the sound, basically everything about the name stella is absolutely gorgeous! i havenā€™t seen anyone express dislike, but stella just never gets mentioned and i really think she deserves to be.

27 Likes

Iā€™m honestly #nonewjames - Itā€™s the millennial/gen z [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and Itā€™s time it died for a bit.

3 Likes

This made me smile oh so much! As someone who grew up hating their name and being bullied just for being named [name_f]Stella[/name_f], thank you. :brown_heart:

8 Likes

of course! :blush: you have a beautiful name!

I will now forever associate the name [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] with dogs, same with [name_u]Cody[/name_u]. Also, animal names (Fox, [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_u]Wolf[/name_u], etc) are justā€¦. Not it

1 Like

I love Berlynā€¦ Iā€™ve never heard it before and I know it has the association with the country & itā€™s history, but I think it would be so cute for a baby girl!

I also love [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] & [name_u]Noah[/name_u] for girls!

Also I donā€™t like the idea of honor names, they just arenā€™t my thing. I donā€™t necessarily care if somebody else uses it as long as they LIKE the name and they arenā€™t just using it to make family happy.

4 Likes

this is how i feel too! sometimes, i feel the need to vote against honor names because i worry that the person is only considering it because itā€™s an honor, not because they actually like it as a name

7 Likes

am i allowed to say that iā€™m a little tired of the sudden mass of new ā€˜make aā€¦ā€™ posts ? they almost have taken over the forums, and each one feels so similar to the next :confounded:

14 Likes

it doesnā€™t necessarily bother me because it can be a good way for me to get inspired on combos or names. but i do wish that we had A Place for them - like a ā€œname talkā€ section which I think was suggested before? then the purely ā€œbaby namesā€ section of the forum could be used more like the girl names/boy names sections which are used more for individuals to ask questions or get advice. the combo making threads donā€™t really fit in bng where cafs dominate and I think someone even posted that, right now, itā€™s better to make two separate threads for boy names and girl names than to make one in ā€œbaby namesā€

7 Likes

:point_up:

This. I think they do belong on Nameberry and it is a good idea to make the nurseries separate threads so they donā€™t clog up the main threads, but theyā€™re currently the one thing that dominates the Baby Name Section, like the alphabet polls did before and the ā€œrename meā€ threads before that and so on. There were talks about creating a new forum just for them back then too, but thatā€™s too complicated to do on a whim, and most trends die down at some point so an extra category isnā€™t worth it. I guess weā€™ll just wait for this to die too? (I say while actively contributing to keeping it aliveā€¦) As long as there still are the Boy Names and Girl Names sections itā€™s not too bad if Baby Names is clogged up.

8 Likes