Hot Takes? šŸ¤­

The ā€œbitterā€ meaning for Mary/Molly is actually disputed. Another theory says it means ā€œbelovedā€. The problem with a lot of baby name books/sites is that they only give one possible meaning (and for some reason, usually the most unflattering one).

9 Likes

[name_f]Isobel[/name_f] always trips me up. I know intellectually that it is pronounced the same as [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], but in my head it is ā€œis-O-belā€. The bold is accurate in just how emphasized I feel like there is on the o.

13 Likes

I personally know a lot of people who have named their child [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] in the last 3-4 years. The thing is, the kidā€™s full name isnā€™t [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. For a lot of these people, I feel like they used [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] as a nn, but it was a bit of a stretch. Some examples I have seen are: [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Carmella[/name_f], [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] & [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. I guess it just bugs me that they donā€™t just name their kids [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] if they wanted to use the name so bad, rather than using a name where the nn hardly works.

2 Likes

felicity isnā€™t a cute name. iā€™ve never thought it is and i donā€™t see that ever changing.

1 Like

i know iā€™ve been on nameberry for too long because Ellie seems like a perfectly normal nickname for all of these to me :sweat_smile:
(except maybe Carmella)

16 Likes

i totally agree! ellie completely works for all of those names! (even carmella imo)

13 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was thinking! I donā€™t see any reason why it wouldnā€™t work for any of them actually. They all have the ā€œellā€ sound in them, so why not!

8 Likes

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] is an awesome name but itā€™s become practically unusable b/c of itā€™s popularity. It was my favorite name when I was like, 12, so it feels a bit childish?

11 Likes

my view on this is many parents do this to give their kids options. this may be an unpopular opinion, but nickname names donā€™t really grow with the kid (depending on the name, for example Beth might grow better than Mimi would) and naming your child Katherine and calling her Kittie gives her the option to go by Kate or Katherine or not when sheā€™s older, rather than being stuck with Kittie. This is my experience, as my parents gave me a nickname name, which I feel really doesnā€™t suit me, and causes people to view me as less serious or something, so i choose to socially go by what wouldā€™ve been my full name.

9 Likes

Iā€™m curious to know what names you find the nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] DOES work for, because imo the names you listed all work.

4 Likes

Good question! I do think Elizabeth works well, even though thatā€™s one I listed. Elliana & Eloise are my personal favorite for the nn Ellie though. But for me, something like Carmella or Elena, seems like a stretch. If that makes sense. I really have no problem with other people doing it, but I would personally play it safe with something a little more obvious.

1 Like

Interesting! [name_f]Elliana[/name_f] i can see being an ā€œobviousā€ choice because of the ā€˜Ellieā€™ sound at the beginning but Eoise seems about as much a stretch as [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. But I can kind of see what you mean I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I much prefer [name_f]Gail[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] than [name_u]Abby[/name_u]

4 Likes

I think people that do this are thinking of naming a person, not a baby. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] can grow up to be [name_u]Ollie[/name_u], [name_f]Liv[/name_f], [name_f]Livvy[/name_f], or [name_f]Via[/name_f]. If [name_f]Via[/name_f] is on the birth certificate and she ends up preferring [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], now thereā€™s paperwork and complications to change it.

I have an ā€œold ladyā€ first name and a classic established middle name with lots of nickname options. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents intention was to call me one of those nicknames which I went by until about 16 when I wanted to use my first name. Iā€™m so glad they did that instead of just naming me the cutsie nickname.

7 Likes

Hot Take:
Using a middle name typically associated with the opposite sex as the first names?? Literal perfection??
Ex.
[name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Lacey[/name_f] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_f]Hera[/name_f] [name_m]Luke[/name_m]
[name_u]Kitty[/name_u] [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]

9 Likes

The only reason yā€™all like [name_m]Rainer[/name_m] and dislike [name_m]Gunnar[/name_m] is because of the words rain and gun respectively when really none of the names are even remotely [name_f]English[/name_f].

7 Likes

But isnā€™t that fair? [name_m]Just[/name_m] because it has nothing to do with the meaning doesnā€™t mean that sound doesnā€™t still have that association in [name_f]English[/name_f]. Especially [name_m]Gunnar[/name_m], with all of the violence happening across the world and especially shootings in the news right now, I think it makes sense for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers to have that association. It doesnā€™t mean the name itself is bad or that other people are wrong for liking it, but I donā€™t think itā€™s wrong to make that connection either. [name_m]Casper[/name_m] sounds like ā€œcaspaā€ which means dandruff in Spanish, is a Spanish-speaking person wrong for being put off by that?

36 Likes

^ Agreed. For example I donā€™t like the name [name_m]Eben[/name_m] because of its meaning in my first language - does it originate from my first language? No, I know the name itself has another meaning, but the word meaning is my own first association and thatā€™s why I donā€™t like it for myself :man_shrugging:

28 Likes

I donā€™t like [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] Paltrow but I feel like looking back [name_f]Apple[/name_f] is not that bad.

10 Likes

Youā€™re right thatā€™s itā€™s completely fair to be put off by a name because of this. What isnā€™t fair, in my opinion, is that when someone who doesnā€™t have that association because they have a different background asks for opinions on a certain name and gets this association shoved in their face in every single reply, even if theyā€™ve repeatedly said they donā€™t mindā€¦ Iā€™ve seen it happen :wink:

20 Likes