Hot Takes? 🤭

I’d type out the Finnish pronunciation as MUH-til-duh. :wink:

2 Likes

oh i was just going off of behindthename which lists the finnish pronounciation as MAH teel dah— you could very well be right !!

It’s also the Icelandic pronunciation (although [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is very rarely used in Iceland).

1 Like

They might be using a slightly different system to type out sounds. :thinking: But it’s definitely an uh sound for the As and a short til rather than an elongated teel - I’m a native Finnish speaker. :slightly_smiling_face: The stress is absolutely right though - the stress in Finnish names (and all Finnish words!) is always on the first syllable.

1 Like

thank you !! i’m not a native speaker, just finnish-american— so i’m sure you’d know more about pronouncing finnish names than me :sweat_smile: MUH til duh is still beautiful !!

1 Like

I know people love [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], but it’s so ugly to me. It just sounds too clunky.

10 Likes

Names don’t have to match in a sibset :woman_shrugging:t3: outside of the name nerd world, most people don’t notice or bat an eye at a set like [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] or [name_u]Harbor[/name_u] and [name_f]Amanda[/name_f].

18 Likes

This! I know so many people who have such a mishmash of sibsets (my favourite example being my cousin whose kids are Br3ntlee, Ell!ann@h, S!las, & R!ver-R0se) and no one noticed or ever comments about them. It’s really not a big deal at all, people should just use the names they love regardless of if they “flow” together or not.

13 Likes

… [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] actually sound surprisingly good as a sibset.

3 Likes

I feel like in your cousin’s case, if S is the only boy, the names make total sense together! All girls have names with a modern twist, either creative spellings or a hyphen with a nature name, giving them a very modern and trendy American vibe.

Generally, I think a style mix between sisters or brothers is much more noticeable than between a brother and a sister.
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and Brinklee, for example, or [name_u]William[/name_u] and Karhlos feel much more mismatched than [name_u]William[/name_u] and Brinklee, for example.

2 Likes

Oh I do agree with this, what I think would “bother” most namenerds is S, but that’s because his name and B do not go “together”. Both boys go well with both sisters separately but they don’t really go together stylistically in a way I see pushed for siblings on name forums. But, I also see a push to keep all names in the same style no matter the gender, or surprise when there is a departure no matter the aab gender of the newest baby, especially if the original style is returned to after one that breaks the pattern.

But again, it doesn’t really matter to me one way or another if the names even go together at all. People name their kids different things all the time that don’t make them sound like a matched set and it’s not really that deep. Name your kids what you want, and if it’s [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] after great-grandma and then Brinklee because it’s the name you’ve always loved and then [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] because she’s S/O’s favourite book character then more power to you. Sibling names don’t have to match and a cohesive naming style does not matter as much as I see it harped about on name forums. Use what you love, style is more or less a made-up ever evolving ideology anyway.

2 Likes

Not really “hot takes” but:

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Oona[/name_f] >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> [name_f]Una[/name_f]

3 Likes

[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] is the superior spelling and I will not be taking questions at this time

5 Likes

[name_f]Claire[/name_f] is a prettier name than [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

7 Likes

clare (b) > claire (g)

10 Likes

clare (g) > clare (b) > clair (b) >>>>> claire (g)

3 Likes

[name_f]Klara[/name_f] > [name_f]Clara[/name_f]

[name_f]Karolina[/name_f] (leen-ah) > [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] (leen-ah)

[name_f]Carolina[/name_f] (line-ah) > [name_f]Karolina[/name_f] (line-ah)

3 Likes

And come to think of it:

Kassiopeya >>> [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] = [name_f]Kassiopeia[/name_f]

3 Likes

not sure if this is a hot take, but !
if you’re going to make a poll with 5+ options, do us all a favor and make it multiple choice.

the results will be less scattered, and more people are likely to vote; plus, you won’t get replies like “but i love ___ and ___ too!”

18 Likes

How in the world is Gy*sy still acceptable as a name? Genuinely don’t know how people think that’s ok

17 Likes