Hot Takes? šŸ¤­

i canā€™t get on board with -ox ending names at all :face_with_peeking_eye: i always picture some toxic chemical or pharmaceutical drug when i hear them :sob:

7 Likes

I canā€™t stand animal names on people :sob::sob:

Names like [name_f]Wren[/name_f], [name_f]Lark[/name_f], [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], and (especially) [name_m]Fox[/name_m] just donā€™t do it for me

3 Likes

I really like some animal names, especially [name_f]Wren[/name_f], but I also get this. Like whenever my friend [name_f]Wren[/name_f] says ā€˜Iā€™m Wrenā€™ to someone thereā€™s always a tiny part of my brain that thinks ā€˜ā€¦no youā€™re not youā€™re a human?!ā€™

7 Likes

I think it really depends on the name? I know more people named Robin/Robyn than the number of times Iā€™ve ever had to discuss the bird named robin :sweat_smile: Same with Wren!

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a really good point! I think itā€™s the reason why I forgot about [name_m]Robin[/name_m] when I was making this post haha

Thanks for making my [name_f]Lynnox[/name_f] [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f] sound like toxins (Lynnox is more toxic chemical that pharmeceutical drug)

oh gosh iā€™m sorry, no hate whatsoever if you like these names ! :sweat:

Itā€™s fine because as far as I know, [name_f]Lynnox[/name_f] is the only one I like. :smiley:

1 Like

maybe this is just because iā€™ve always been kind of a stinker, but when i know someone (whether they be a family member, friend, or stranger on the internet) doesnā€™t like one of my name choices, it makes me like it even more! :face_with_peeking_eye:

17 Likes

I donā€™t understand plural noun names :face_with_peeking_eye:
ā€œThis boy is not a singular well, he is two or more wells.ā€

20 Likes

Hot take: [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] really isnā€™t that difficult to sayā€¦

16 Likes

I think names like [name_m]Wells[/name_m], [name_m]Rivers[/name_m], [name_m]Banks[/name_m], etc are supposed to be named after the last names, not the plural nouns. It does sound kind of weird after you mentioned it though :laughing:

6 Likes

i found this funny as one of my favourite names is banks and i have never looked at it like that! i see what you mean though :joy:

1 Like

i mean, this very much depends on your accent, i couldnā€™t pronounce aurora correctly if my life depended on it :sob:

13 Likes

It really is if you have rhotacism / Jonathan Ross type speech impairment like me lol! Awarwa has entered the chatā€¦

10 Likes

Argh so real :rage:

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is definitely one of the hardest names out there to say. But seriously, why do so many names have to be so difficult to pronounce with a speech impediment!! (Iā€™m looking at you, [name_f]Fern[/name_f]! ā€¦and my own name tooā€“thanks so much mom and dad)

4 Likes

As an American, I tend to have a preference for American pronunciations of names (when there are regional differences) as thatā€™s what Iā€™m most familiar with. However, I have to say that I never understood the name [name_m]Harry[/name_m] until I heard it in a [name_f]British[/name_f] accent, and then I was like ā€œooooh, it actually sounds nice that way!ā€ Itā€™s so harsh and unappealing in an American accent but say it in a [name_f]British[/name_f] accent and itā€™s quite charming :joy:

9 Likes

I hate [name_m]Junior[/name_m]! Keep the first name, keep the middle initial, but change SOMETHING. [name_f]Do[/name_f] like [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] [name_m]Bush[/name_m] when she named [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]Walker[/name_m] [name_m]Bush[/name_m] after [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]Herbert[/name_m] [name_m]Walker[/name_m] Bushā€¦ change something! Give the new baby at least a little something that makes him unique and lets you avoid tacking on that [name_m]Jr[/name_m].
Itā€™s proper to drop the [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. once the Sr. dies, but how many actually do this? Who wants to change every legal document at such a sad time?
If your husband is [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Luke[/name_m], name your son [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Liam[/name_m] or even [name_m]Luke[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m].

13 Likes

It bugs me when people give their pets animal names. For example, I know dogs named [name_m]Goose[/name_m] and [name_m]Bear[/name_m]. Theyā€™re not geese or bears, theyā€™re dogs! But for some reason I donā€™t feel as strongly about when the same thing happens with human babies :woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

These are actually some of my favorite kind of pet names. [name_f]My[/name_f] dog is [name_f]Raven[/name_f], and my list of future cat names include [name_m]Wolfie[/name_m], [name_f]Cricket[/name_f], [name_f]Minnow[/name_f], etc! A friend of mine has a cat named [name_m]Fish[/name_m] which I find hilarious.

13 Likes