Issues with Category feeds not scrolling down

Some users are encountering a problem with category feeds – e.g. Baby Names, Baby Name Games, Pet Names, etc.

For some people, the infinite scrolling isn’t working on category feeds, so they can only see a list of 20 or so topics, rather than more auto-loading when they reach the bottom of the page.

We’re working hard to sort this out, but in the meantime please use this topic for any questions or comments related to this issue.

:heavy_plus_sign: Extra points for screenshots – they really help us to see the issue clearly!

I’m trying to figure out how to work the new site, and I’ve been having an issue. I can see only the last 10 or so latest post in a category. Because there are no pages now there is no way to go back a chunk and read old posts. Is there any way to do this?

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] @Kipperbo1

I’ve already responded to your other question about this, but I thought I’d put the info here too because I know there are several users affected by this.

Most are not having this issue, so I’m confident that it’s something that can be rectified, and we are currently looking into it as a priority.

[name_m]Can[/name_m] I ask if you’re seeing either the scroll bar on the right of your screen (on desktop)

or on mobile, this box at the bottom right of your screen?

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 11.14.59

These should allow you to jump or scroll to any point you want in a topic. Please let me know if these are missing for you too.

Thank you for helping us solve this!

I’m not seeing either of these. There is the normal computer scroll bar on the right of the screen, but it stops after the top 50 or so. on the mobile version I don’t have that option. Thanks for all you’re doing for the site by the way! I do really like the ability to tag people and respond to specific peoples’ posts :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],

[name_m]Just[/name_m] to let you know I’m not seeing any of those options either! Is the second (box with 2/3) supposed to take us to different pages? eg, page 1, or page 14, 72, etc of “[name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name Games” or is it for the single post you’re on? I’d love a page selector, rather than just infinite scrolling as it’s too easy to lose your place and frustrating to have to try and find the post you were previously up to.

Either, way I can not see it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] thought I’d let you know as more feedback may help! Enjoy the rest of your day.

1 Like

@Kipperbo1 Thank you, I really appreciate that :slight_smile:

That is really odd. I’m going to send this whole thread to our Discourse guru @pfaffman who will hopefully be able to shed some light.

@roseyrose It’s a post number selector on mobile, and on desktop you have the option to either scroll down or jump to a specific post number. At least… you should. I’m sorry you’re experiencing this too, but thank you for letting us know as it really helps to get to the bottom of things.

1 Like

This! It is not super fun to scroll down forever, and a page selector would be amazing and make things infinitely easier for me :slight_smile: Especially because there are sooo many posts a day, and within one day a post is already buried 100 posts in and gets ignored!

1 Like

This is what the bottom of “[name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names” looks like for me. There are around 20 or so posts and then it just stops. It’s the same across all catagories.

1 Like

Hang on, apologies @Kipperbo1 and @roseyrose! I’ve just realised I’ve got mixed up with two things :woman_facepalming:

These scroll bars that I’ve added pictures of above – those are within topics, not categories, sorry!

[name_m]Can[/name_m] you see either the bar (desktop) or the box (mobile) when you’re inside a topic (this one, for example – is there a scroll bar over there right now? :arrow_right:)

The category feeds don’t have the scroll bars, but the infinite scroll should automatically load more posts when you scroll to the bottom. But that’s not happening for you, right?

@katinka I have the scroll bar on the side of the topic but it doesn’t seem to actually do anything? If I move it up and down the number changes but the page stays in the same place. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

1 Like

I have it in topics, it’s just categories that’s the issue. It doesn’t automatically load more when I get to the bottom of the page, but even if it did, I think if a page selector or eve scroll bar on the side were possible it would be VERY helpful! Or a way to jump back to posts like last week, last month, last year, etc?

1 Like

All of this feedback is so helpful, big thanks!

I’m going to pass this topic on and hopefully this can be sorted. Not much fun if you can only see 20 topics.

@floatinthesky

[name_m]Just[/name_m] checking you’re set to “Latest” at the top?

What happens if you select one of the other options, like “[name_f]My[/name_f] Posts”? Are you able to see more than the last 20 topics then?

I was on the Latest page. The [name_f]My[/name_f] Posts page doesn’t let me see more either. The Top page has an option to go back in to the last month, last year, etc. It would be awesome if all the pages had this!

Yep, that screenshot was taken on “Latest”. “[name_f]My[/name_f] posts” and “Top” are the same scenario. This is what “[name_u]New[/name_u]” looks like:

OK, @floatinthesky your “[name_u]New[/name_u]” looks normal (there haven’t been too many newly created posts in [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names in the last 2 days), but the other three definitely should show more!

I am having the same issue within the threads: the scroll bar is unresponsive.

Additionally, sometimes I will open a thread, but I can only see the OP and maybe one or two of the replies. I have to reload the page a couple of times for the rest of the replies to load. I don’t know if that’s just me, but it’s kind of annoying. :confused:!

Picture - You can see I scrolled down to 8 on the scrollbar, but it doesn’t take me there. Also, when I scroll with the browser’s scroll bar, the forum scroll bar stays up by the original post, if that makes sense.
Screenshot_2020-04-28 Issues with Category feeds not scrolling down|690x315

UPDATE:
The scroll bar is now working perfectly well on threads. I don’t know what was up before, but I have tested it in a few different threads and it is working for me.

Also, I have been able to infinite scroll in the categories section.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

1 Like

@elanorelle I am extremely pleased to hear that! :clap:

This is proving a real head-scratcher…

@Kipperbo1 and @floatinthesky, can I ask you to try something?

Could you please access the forums in private mode and see if you still encounter issues there? One theory is that it could be a plugin conflict causing this.

[name_m]Can[/name_m] I also please ask what device and browser you’re both using?

Is your browser up-to-date?

Have you tried any other browsers?

Thank you!

By private do you mean like incognito mode? I just tried this and it’s the same. I’m on my laptop (which is only a few months old) and I’m using google chrome. I just tried using internet explorer and that didn’t make a difference. [name_f]My[/name_f] browser is up to date. On the mobile version on my phone the scrolling works, but not on my computer.