Name Rants

Same! I don’t like when sibling names share similar sounds, unless it’s all the names.

If somebody creates a topic, they most likely want responses with reasonings, what’s the point of making a poll if they don’t ask you to?

10 Likes

Exactly!! If I make a topic asking for opinions if I wanted a poll to be there then I would’ve done it in quick poll thread

2 Likes

Totally get what you mean. I worked last year as a SPED paraprofessional in an elementary school, mostly working with K-2. Luckily I didn’t have any favorites ruined but there’s definitely some strong associations now between certain names & certain kids. I did fall in love with the name [name_m]Silas[/name_m], even though he wasn’t the easiest kid to work with. But I doubt I’ll ever use [name_m]Silas[/name_m] because it’d be a lot of S & L sounds with my last name (pronounced ball-stirs).

I want to like the name [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] but I just… don’t

4 Likes

I just realized [name_f]Hecate[/name_f] would rhyme with the beer Tecate in Spanish, heh-cah-teh… whhhyy

1 Like

i love [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], but there don’t seem to be any good middles for her :sweat_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Virginie[/name_f] is so beautiful, but does it have to be so virgin-y :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

[name_f]Mirielle[/name_f] and [name_f]Mireille[/name_f] are two different names that sound nothing alike but look almost the same and it’s driving me CRAZY.

[name_f]Mireille[/name_f]: mer-AY
[name_f]Mirielle[/name_f]: mear-ee-ELLE

If someone saw Mirielle’s name written, they might pronounce it like [name_f]Mireille[/name_f]. If someone heard Mirielle’s name out loud, they might mishear it as [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] (which I hate.)

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

8 Likes

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] doesn’t get much consideration as a surname name, even though it’s a common surname

Less of a rant and more of a musing

11 Likes

I’m so jealous of all the people with [name_f]Luna[/name_f] as a last name, my last name is just a weird Spanish word there’s no way I can compete with somebody with such a magical surname

3 Likes

Why do all my favorite names have to sound so similar? I just can’t justify naming my daughters [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], and [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] :sob:

13 Likes

This is a rant about myself.

I’ve noticed I always picture sibsets with names that were common before 1900 as children before 1900. Not as old people! Very distinctly as children, but in a vaguely Victorian setting. And that influences my opinion and, in a poll, my votes, for example I absolutely cannot vote to complete the sibset of [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_u]Henry[/name_u] and [name_u]James[/name_u] with a [name_f]Megan[/name_f], although on a rational basis I have absolutely no reason to believe these people do not live in the 21st century.

1 Like

I really want to honor my grandfather but he has the name as my dad (who I don’t have a very good relationship with) :sob: :sob:

6 Likes

Oof that’s rough…maybe your grandfathers middle name?

They have the exact same name. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad is a [name_m]Jr[/name_m].

1 Like

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] gotcha, that’s too bad

1 Like

you could always use something else to honor him! like his birthstone, birth month, star sign, any hobbies he has, etc

2 Likes

Oh yeah. He’s really into photography. Hmmm

Maybe you could also ask him about his favourite names (maybe there were some he never got to use), people that he looks up to,…
especially if you want him to know you’d like to honour him it could be fun looking for a name together.

3 Likes