Talk Me In/Out Of These Names (3)

Hey y’all!

One of my goals that I’ve made for myself during this quarantine/lockdown/shutdown/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, is that I’d get my girls list down to a manageable 10-20 names, and that’d actually make a boys list. My girls list is sitting at a whopping 75 names, so I’ve got a ways to go. I’m planning on doing it in stages until I get it down to something I’m happy with!

I have managed to decide on these so far: Stephanie, Melanie, Bethany, Joanna, Rebecca and Gemma.

I’m breaking my list into sections at random and I’d like any/all feedback you’ve got for me! Convince me to keep them, or convince me to let them go!

Here’s part three:

[name_u]Holly[/name_u]
[name_u]Kelly[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]
[name_f]Tiffany[/name_f]
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
[name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Natasha[/name_f]
[name_u]Dana[/name_u]
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Desiree[/name_f]
[name_f]Robyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Heather[/name_f]
[name_u]Courtney[/name_u]
[name_f]Sally[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_f]Leanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_u]Jodie[/name_u]
[name_f]Marcie[/name_f]
[name_u]Nicola[/name_u]
[name_u]Darcey[/name_u]
[name_f]Cerys[/name_f]
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
Toyah
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f]
[name_u]Christie[/name_u]/Kristie
[name_f]Nicole[/name_f]

(Check out parts 1 & 2 here and here!)

Thank you so much, I promise this is the end of it, lol! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Taking into account your style and top names, I’d keep

Holly
Kelly
Tiffany
Louise
Natasha
Dana
Heather
Jodie
Darcey
Bryony
Christie/Kristie

1 Like

This part is a bit harder, but I think you should keep [name_f]Natasha[/name_f], [name_f]Robyn[/name_f], [name_u]Courtney[/name_u], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] & [name_f]Nicole[/name_f]

1 Like

Holly
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]
[name_f]Natasha[/name_f]
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Jodie[/name_u]
[name_u]Christie[/name_u]

(I really love [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] & [name_f]Cerys[/name_f] though! I just think the others fit better with the rest of your list)

2 Likes

Keep [name_u]Holly[/name_u], [name_f]Heather[/name_f], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f]! [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] is a bit different from the rest of your list but I can’t help but love it. :blush:

1 Like

Part 3. For you I love:

[name_u]Holly[/name_u]
[name_f]Tiffany[/name_f]
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
[name_u]Dana[/name_u]
[name_f]Desiree[/name_f]
[name_f]Heather[/name_f]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] (I prefer this spelling)
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_u]Jodie[/name_u]
[name_f]Nicole[/name_f]

Of all your lists, my tops for you would be:
[name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
[name_u]Kimberly[/name_u]
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]
[name_f]Demi[/name_f]
[name_u]Chelsea[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u]

I think you should scrap [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Ffion[/name_f], and [name_f]Cerys[/name_f]. They just feel like stylistical outliers or else too anachronistic in their current continued popularity. I would also scrap [name_u]Nicola[/name_u] (I prefer [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] for you), and [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] (I prefer [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] for you), but you could replace with just [name_f]Tasha[/name_f] or [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] though and that would be great! Toyah would be a really interesting choice. I could get behind it, but it isn’t a favorite. The rest is for you to decide. :sunglasses:

From this list, my very favorites–ones I really like independently and that I think fit in perfectly with your existing picks–are [name_u]Holly[/name_u] and [name_f]Heather[/name_f]. They’re friendly, sweet, down-to-earth, and gently nostalgic but would be totally wearable today. And I like the nature connection in both of them! I can see them as sisters for any of the names you’ve already decided on.

Other names on this list that I think fit in with your current picks stylistically: [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f], [name_f]Natasha[/name_f], [name_u]Dana[/name_u], [name_f]Robyn[/name_f], [name_u]Courtney[/name_u], [name_f]Nicole[/name_f]

Others that I love, even if I’m not sure how well they fit: [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Cerys[/name_f], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f]. I definitely think any of these could work, they just stand out to me as a little different from the rest of your choices!

2 Likes

Keep:

Jillian
[name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Natasha[/name_f]
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Robyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_u]Nicola[/name_u]
[name_u]Darcey[/name_u]
[name_f]Cerys[/name_f]
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]

1 Like

@greyblue - Thank you! You’ve been a wonderful help with this mission of mine! :sparkling_heart:

@Carys1 - Thank you for all your help!! I know I do really love [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] and [name_u]Courtney[/name_u]!

@regionlatbest - Thank you for your help!! LOL S/O will be glad to see [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] getting some love :stuck_out_tongue: He really seemed to like it!

@whatchamacallit - I feel the same way with [name_f]Ffion[/name_f]! I do worry a little bit that it’d be too odd/unusual? Thank you so much for your help!! :sparkling_heart:

@hyacinthbucket - I agree on the stylistical outliers - they do seem a bit jarring when I say them all together. Toyah is perhaps one of my favourites of these, but I do really worry it’s too odd. I heard it on a British soap opera my mom and I watch (she’s been a character since the early 2000s, I believe?), and can’t seem to shake it, LOL! Thank you so much!!

@dandy_orchid - Thank you so much! I do agree that [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Cerys[/name_f] and [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] are a bit more different than the rest of my list! I found them when I was looking at a list of top names in the UK in 1996 :stuck_out_tongue: Unfortunately though, none of them ranked here the way they did there!

@juliem1912 - Thank you very much!!

4 Likes

[name_f]Georgina[/name_f] and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] are my favorites here, but [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] and [name_f]Cerys[/name_f] are really nice too. :heart:

1 Like
  1. [name_u]Holly[/name_u] - 100% yes. [name_u]Holly[/name_u] is adorable. Not overused when it was popular, but would be totally unexpected today. I’d love to meet a little [name_u]Holly[/name_u]! Ditto for [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] and [name_f]Natasha[/name_f].
  2. [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Sally[/name_f], [name_f]Georgina[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f] – All feel much more vintage-chic than the rest of your list. I like them, but I’m not sure the have the same vibes that fit your list.
  3. [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f] - Hmm… On the one hand it feels hopelessly dated, but on the other it seems right at home with your other favorites. The only thing, for me, is that I can easily picture a little [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] – maybe even called ‘[name_u]Steph[/name_u]’ or ‘Stephie’ – but I’m struggling to picture a little [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f]. So I can’t really say on this one. If you love it, though, it definitely fits the general vibe of your list!
  4. [name_f]Jillian[/name_f] - I’ve honestly never seen the appeal of this name, tbh. Personal taste aside, though, I do think it fits in with your list. And I’d love to see ‘[name_f]Jill[/name_f]’ make a comeback! It was never overly popular anyway.
  5. [name_u]Dana[/name_u] - Not totally sure on this one, but I can totally see it. It would be really unexpected, but I can see it being cute on a little girl. I don’t know exactly why, but I’m liking it. :slight_smile:
  6. [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] - Sorry, this one feels a bit ‘too old’ for your list, imho. Others like this: [name_f]Leanne[/name_f], [name_u]Jodie[/name_u], [name_f]Marcie[/name_f].
  7. [name_f]Desiree[/name_f] - Not my favorite, and it was never common enough for me to judge whether it vibes with the rest of your favorites or not.
  8. [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] - Meh, [name_u]Robin[/name_u] in general feels fresher on a boy these days.
  9. [name_f]Heather[/name_f] - Tough one. On the one hand, it feels as overused as [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], but on the other it would fit in with the nature craze of today. I’m having the same problem with it as [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f], though, to be perfectly honest.
  10. [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] - Definitely. It was pretty popular, but, much like [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], it would be unexpected and easy to picture on a child today.
  11. [name_u]Nicola[/name_u]/Nicole - Not my favorites of your list – especially [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] which feels very overused and common even still among teens and college students. I could see [name_u]Nicola[/name_u] being fresh and unexpected; I’m just not sure how well it vibes with the rest of your favorites.
  12. [name_f]Cerys[/name_f], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] - Not the best fits, tbh. Too different stylistically.
  13. [name_u]Darcey[/name_u] - I’m going to say yes on this one. I like the way it sounds with the rest of your list, even if it was never as popular as most of them.
  14. Toyah - I have no idea on this one. It doesn’t sound appealing to me, personally – possibly because of the word ‘toy’. But idk. If you love it, I’m sure it could fit!
  15. [name_u]Christie[/name_u]/Kristie - Not sure here… It does feel a little overly common, but I know a [name_u]Christy[/name_u] who’s like 10-11, and it’s really cute on a little girl. So why not?

Of this list overall, I’m voting for [name_u]Holly[/name_u], [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], [name_f]Natasha[/name_f], [name_u]Dana[/name_u], [name_u]Courtney[/name_u], [name_u]Darcey[/name_u], and [name_u]Christie[/name_u]/Kristie.

1 Like

For your list I would choose [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f], [name_u]Dana[/name_u], [name_f]Heather[/name_f] & [name_f]Georgina[/name_f]

1 Like

@ashthedreamer - Thank you so much for your help!! :sparkling_heart::hugs:

@elanorelle - I do see what you mean with [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Sally[/name_f], [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] and [name_f]Polly[/name_f] being a bit more vintage than 80s! I’ll have to give that a ponder, lol. Stephie is actually the planned nickname for [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]! [name_f]My[/name_f] mom came up with it and I find it rather sweet! :slight_smile: Thank you for your help!! :sparkling_heart:

@Sarah1694 - Thank you so much! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

In context with your keep names, I would eliminate [name_f]Leanne[/name_f] and [name_f]Jillian[/name_f] (because you’re keeping [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]), [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f] (because you’re keeping [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]), [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] (because you’re keeping [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] and [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]), and [name_f]Marcie[/name_f] (because you’re keeping [name_f]Melanie[/name_f]).

There are several names toward the end of this list - [name_f]Cerys[/name_f], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], Toyah, and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] - that I feel like are a huge stylistic departure from the rest of your keeper names. So I’m going to go ahead and give Discard votes to these four.

For names that you would likely have to choose between, we have:

• Holly vs. [name_f]Polly[/name_f] vs. [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] vs. [name_f]Sally[/name_f] - I feel like [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Sally[/name_f] are in a different era than the rest of your keep names, more retro fifties diner than nineties school dance. Between [name_u]Holly[/name_u] and [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], my personal preference is [name_u]Holly[/name_u], but [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] definitely fits in better with the rest of your list.
  • Nicole vs. [name_u]Nicola[/name_u] - Between these two, [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] is definitely more consistent with the style and era of your keep names, so I’m giving her my Keep vote.
  • Rosie vs. [name_u]Jodie[/name_u] - Between the two, I definitely prefer [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], but it does feel more like a nickname than a full name. Are there any good [name_f]Rose[/name_f] names with that spunky nineties vibe to them? [name_f]Roseanne[/name_f] immediately comes to mind, but she would conflict with [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]. [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] seem very different stylistically. What about [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] nn [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]?

That leaves us with:

• Louise - I feel like she’s from an older generation than the rest of your keep list. Vote: Soft Discard.
  • Natasha - A gorgeous name that blends beautifully with your list while still keeping things unique and fresh. Vote: Keep!
  • Dana - Stylistically consistent, but not a name that jumps out and grabs me. Vote: Soft Discard.
  • Carolyn - Fits in perfectly with the rest of your keep names while still having her own unique look and sound. Vote: Keep.
  • Desiree - I LOVE this name for you. Still has that spunky nineties flare that I associate with your other names, while also bringing a softness and romance to your list. Vote: Keep!!
  • Robyn - Feels a bit more dated than the other names on your list, and definitely competes with [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] when spelled [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] rather than [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. Vote: Soft Discard.
  • Heather - Another choice that I love with your other names! Soft, spunky, and iconic. Vote: Keep!
  • Courtney - A perfect stylistic fit with the other names on your list. Vote: Keep.
  • Darcey - This is the first time I’ve seen this spelling, and I definitely prefer [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]. I like this name, but I like [name_f]Desiree[/name_f] much better. Vote: Soft Discard.
  • Christie/Kristie - I just came from the Part 2 post, and I remember seeing [name_f]Christina[/name_f] on that list. So I’m going to vote that those two options are combined - Keep [name_f]Christina[/name_f] and use [name_u]Christie[/name_u] as a nickname.

I hope these breakdowns were helpful!

1 Like

@lavenderwitch - Thank you so much for your help! Toyah is definitely a departure - I’m not even sure where she fits, but I am crushing hard LOL. I’m not even sure what kind of vibe she fits under. I’m not terribly keen on any full [name_f]Rose[/name_f]- names to be honest :confused: None of them really appeal to me other than maybe [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]? Which I like, but I don’t love it enough to use.

1 Like

I’m ready for round three! lol

Keep:
[name_u]Louise[/name_u] - <3 I love this name so much! It’s so sweet and girly, as well as elegant and intelligent.
[name_f]Robyn[/name_f] - A very cool name! Fantastic
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] - Classy and refined, a nice spin on [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f] - Cute and wholesome, always picture it on a creative, artsy girl, and it feels like it fits with your style
[name_f]Natasha[/name_f] - has the same vibe as [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], but slight exotic twist and very soft sounding.

Overall, I love [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] the most. I hope you’re able to consider your s/o to consider it lol
But my other top faves from your lists:
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Robyn[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]Danielle[/name_f], [name_f]Christina[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], and [name_f]Keira[/name_f]! (in no order at all)

I ended up really liking all of your lists even though you have a different style from me! <3

1 Like

I’ve somehow missed the first two parts of this, but I thought I’d jump in anyway!

From your list, I love:
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]
[name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_u]Dana[/name_u]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_f]Cerys[/name_f]
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f]

But I think the following fit best with your other favourites:
[name_u]Holly[/name_u]
[name_u]Kelly[/name_u]
[name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Natasha[/name_f]
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Robyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Heather[/name_f]
[name_f]Nicole[/name_f]

1 Like

I love [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Natasha[/name_f], [name_f]Heather[/name_f], [name_u]Holly[/name_u], [name_u]Jodie[/name_u] and [name_u]Courtney[/name_u]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] least favorites are [name_u]Darcey[/name_u], [name_f]Georgina[/name_f], [name_f]Desiree[/name_f] and [name_f]Jillian[/name_f].

With your other names I like:

Holly
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Natasha[/name_f]
[name_u]Darcey[/name_u]

I would ditch:
[name_u]Kelly[/name_u], [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f], [name_f]Desiree[/name_f], [name_f]Heather[/name_f], [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] (too 1980s)
[name_f]Cerys[/name_f], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] (too unusual to go with the others–but maybe that doesn’t matter)
[name_u]Dana[/name_u], [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] (too old sounding)

@blondeberry1 - Thank you! I’m glad you think [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] is cool - I adore it myself! I am working on [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] though :stuck_out_tongue: That’s so sweet of you to say, I’m so glad you liked them!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Gia.berry - Thank you! I love how you separated them into personal faves and ones that fit best :slight_smile: I definitely think [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] and [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] are strong contenders :slight_smile:

@may.rose - Thank you! LOL funnily enough, S/O decided [name_u]Darcey[/name_u] was cute, but he much prefers [name_f]Marcie[/name_f] (which I was not expecting???) so it looks like he’s pushed [name_u]Darcey[/name_u] off the table too :joy:

@sarah1800 - Thank you! I actually love the 1980s sound, but I get how most people may not. I do think [name_f]Cerys[/name_f], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] may be a bit jarring with the others though? :confused:

4 Likes