The WriterBerries Thread

I guess I’ll answer this question about favorite things to write, too. (A few days ago I broke my computer charger while it only had 10% left, so my computer died, and I had to get a new charger.)
I love to write characters and everything that comes with it, like dialogue, relationships, etc. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite relationships are sibling-like relationships, especially older brothers and sisters. For some reason, almost all of my MCs end up being the youngest, even though I’m a middle. I guess I just find younger siblings annoying.
I love writing girl/boy best friends, and leaving them at best friends. I also like writing friendships that feel like family, because I have one best friend who I could call my sister. We like to joke that our ten year anniversary is next year.
@ethelmary, I actually love boarding schools (even though heavily overused.) I especially like elite boarding schools, for some reason. And that part about NB. That’d be fun.

2 Likes

I love to write character relationships, and my favorite is master-apprentice. I also love to write description, but I have to cut myself off sometimes because I have too much and it’s boring for the reader :smile: I like family-like friendships as well— those are fun to write.

1 Like

I had a dream last night where I changed the working title of my novel? Now I’m considering it.

4 Likes

I am the worst at description! I literally have to look up pictures, then try to describe them.

1 Like

I’ve decided to start the second draft of my story! Initially, I hoped to finish the first draft, but the story has changed so much over the last couple weeks as I (hopefully) strengthen the plot that it didn’t feel like it made sense to continue something that wouldn’t end up in what I imagine the final draft to look like.

3 Likes

@SparkleNinja18 congratulations and good luck on the next draft!

I’ve actually been sticking to my schedule for the next part and writing a ~1000 word chapter every other day (sometimes usng the day in between to finish up or edit). So that’s good! I’ve also been planning a play, and I feel like I’m so close to being able to start it.

3 Likes

I haven’t written in a couple days now, and now that I’ve actually sat down to write, I feel so unmotivated! I’m at the point where I’m just skipping to a “fun” part, so that I actually write. So, good for you, @AerieEerie! Because, right now, it’s a struggle, like, the point where you question why you actually did this, and if you should pick that other, really smart, really awesome idea that’s so much better.

3 Likes

I love the name [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]! And [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] sounds great. But then again, so does [name_f]Selena[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], and [name_f]Selena[/name_f] fits with mythology ([name_f]Selene[/name_f] was the titan of the moon). Go with your gut. If you like [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], choose [name_f]Calliope[/name_f].

2 Likes

Argh, any ideas for alternatives to [name_u]Glen[/name_u]? This is my series I like to call: Ahh! I named way too many characters way too similar names! I’ve already changed [name_f]Anya[/name_f]'s name to [name_f]Natasha[/name_f], so up next is [name_u]Glen[/name_u]!
He’s 16 years old, had blonde hair a blue eyes, and is very athletic. He’s basically a [name_u]Gary[/name_u] [name_m]Stu[/name_m]: super attractive, good at everything he does, and kind and funny. [name_u]Glen[/name_u] is much too similar to another name I’m not changing ([name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], everyone calls him [name_m]Gabe[/name_m].)
I’d like to keep his last name, which is Wilcox.
Ideas?

EDIT: Also while I’m in my phase of doubt, I’m considering swapping a character’s alias for his real name. [name_f]Do[/name_f] y’all like Chadwick or [name_m]Stanford[/name_m] better?

Chadwick!!

How about…

Stanley Wilcox
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m] Wilcox
Brettin Wilcox
[name_u]Gerry[/name_u] Wilcox
[name_u]Dale[/name_u] Wilcox
[name_u]Andy[/name_u] Wilcox
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] Wilcox
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] Wilcox

1 Like

I’ll probably go with either [name_m]Rhett[/name_m] or [name_m]Ledger[/name_m]. Thanks so much!

1 Like

For those of you who are working on second/third/etc. drafts, do you ever find it’s hard to get back into the mind space of a first draft? When I’m editing, I’m obviously in the mindset of making things sound right so it’s hard to get back into the mindset of just putting words on a page. I’m struggling to keep myself from rewriting sections.

1 Like

Describe how the MC is feeling or what she is thinking. Ex: “She wanted to run and scream, anything to stop it, but she stood still. Helpless, she took in every moment as he took his last breath.”

1 Like

Maybe a sprint helps? As in “write as fast as you can for a set amount of time”? Stops you from thinking too much about it. What has helped me especially was to team up with others and try to reach a wordcount together. So I could tell myself the others rely on that I keep writing instead of thinking about phrasing.

3 Likes

Sprints are a good idea! I feel like I need to have a word count goal for those though because I can easily write for 5 minutes straight (or whatever) but I’ll be writing 2 sentences over and over again. I’ve never been able to do the word sprints where the writing is blacked out except for the last letter you typed (it’s supposed to keep you from reading what you wrote and therefore keep you from editing it) because that stresses me out for some reason.

1 Like

Wow, that sounds horrible :anguished: I couldn’t do that either!
I also don’t use those writing environments that stop you from doing something else. I tend to get distracted easily but I figure if I want to focus on something I should power through it and not use tools that manage that for me.

2 Likes

I actually will turn the background of my doc black, and write in dark gray! I also turn off the internet sometimes too, which actually makes me write better, with the black screen combo.

Hello fellow writers! I was wondering if Irmalinda Clodovea [name_m]Tyrell[/name_m] [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] the 3rd was a bit to over the top for a rebel teenage princess that’s trying to find who she really is while being in line to be the next queen in a few weeks (book time not real life). Its supposed to be a short story but most likely won’t turn out that way. Thank you!

2 Likes

Princess? Totally not over the top! I love it!

1 Like

Thank you! I just realized I didn’t introduce myself on this thread. I’m [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]/Cal (either or). Nice to meet you all!

1 Like