Top 7 - help us decide

Hubs and I can’t find agreement…He was originally in charge for baby #2, but now it seems I have the final say (“You’re the mother”). In a different post, I asked about how others have settled these kinds of disagreements. Here, I’m asking folks to weigh in on our top 7. We live in the US, like uncommon but established (not made-up-sounding) names. We also hope for nickname options. He gravitates towards strong female and mythology names; I gravitate towards classic/vintage. *Please weigh in on the following:

Athena - Hubs original list; I’m lukewarm. Like the sound and meaning, but lacks nn options, sounds very Greek (we’re not) and is in top 100 (though not sure how that plays out in real life).

Zelda - Hubs original list; I’m lukewarm. Like the sound - spunky, vintage - but not a gamer (hubs is) so don’t appreciate it in that way. Wish there was a longer version but don’t like Griselda.

Delphinia - Not on hubs’ original list, but we added after some research. This seems like a compromise name. Not my favorite, not his favorite, but we both find something we like in it. I thought this was the one until we started practicing. It’s beautiful and unique but a bit of a mouthful so will probably get shortened most of the time - not sure though. Although there are lots of nn options, I don’t love any of them. I don’t really like Delphee, which seems the most intuitive. Would this grow on me though?

Minerva - Hubs original list; I wish I liked it. I have Italian heritage so love the Roman mythology connection. Love the strong female namesake. I like 3 syllables - nickname options but not unwieldy. Initially didn’t like nn Minnie, but now I’m ok with it. However, it’s hard to unhear the “nerve” sound - would I get over that though? My mother also does not like this one - not a dealbreaker but I would feel bad, as she’s a wonderful grandmother.

Florence - I like; hubs is ok with it but strongly dislikes nn Flo, which is the most intuitive nn. But would a cute baby Flo help him get over that?! I don’t mind Flo. I also question how common this is or will become in the US, as it’s so common in the UK.

Firenze/Fiorenza - I think hubs prefers this version of Florence - the Italian version (city/given name). He likes; I’m lukewarm. We have a mutual love of Italy (my family is Italian American), but to me it sounds a little “too” Italian and might have pronunciation issues. Fire / “Fear-a” / Firey are cool nicknames though…

Viola - I really like this, but didn’t even consider it until we hit this dead-end. Originally all Shakespeare names were off the table because hubs is a theatre director but also kind of cynical about the theatre world (his work is more experimental). So, this is his least favorite name, but I think it has a lot going for it - great nicknames (Vi, Lola, Vivi, Vila), is vintage, uncommon (although this is questionable because it is related to Violet/Vi, which is very popular). I do question pronunciation issues (e.g., it’s not the musical instrument) that might arise.

Vetoes/tabled:
Andromeda - I vetoed.
Galatea, Zena - I didn’t veto, but like the others (above) better.
Winifred - He vetoed.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite from the list is [name_f]Florence[/name_f], and I actually like the nn [name_f]Wren[/name_f] over [name_f]Flo[/name_f] for that one. I think it’s so sweet!

I think [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Viola[/name_f] would top my list for you.

I love [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]- can I suggest [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] and [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] as alternatives you might both like?

[name_f]Florence[/name_f]- I don’t like [name_f]Flo[/name_f] either but the [name_f]Florence[/name_f] I knew growing up always went by [name_f]Flora[/name_f] which I do really like.

[name_f]Viola[/name_f]- didn’t think of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] at all until you mentioned it. [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] would be very cute!

What’s your first child called, if you don’t mind sharing? It might help people to narrow down your list further.

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] - [name_f]Athena[/name_f] feels strong but floral; distinctive despite the recent popularity. I’d say check the top 100 in your state to see if it actually ranks there

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] - [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] is bright and cool and sharp. Maybe the literary vibes (Zelda Firzgerald) might appeal instead to you?

[name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] - [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] is frilly, distinctive and unexpected, but i do think Delphi/ee woukd get used. It might grow on you once you associate it with your baby. Phin, [name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_m]Dell[/name_m] could be others?

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - its not my fave but I like the meaning. Would similar [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] appeal?

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] - love [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. With understated elegance and charm. I dont think [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is inevitable, but the name could get more popular

Firenze/Fiorenza - bold and cool. Would [name_f]Flora[/name_f] of [name_f]Fiora[/name_f] feel like a compromise?

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - I like it a lot but it doesn’t seem right for your husband?

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] - I really love this name, its beautiful. The popularity is off putting but its worth checking what the popularity is of it in your state as you may find its in the top 100 but not actually popular in your area. As for NN options you do have [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Nia[/name_f] & [name_f]Attie[/name_f].

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] - if you like this other than the gaming aspect but your husband really likes it & is a gamer then personally its a name I’d really consider as it pleases everyone once you take away the gaming part. There was a post only last week (I think) about longer names for / names that gave the NN [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] so maybe have a look at that.

[name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] - this is ok, it’s nice but it feels a bit of a mouthful IMO. I much prefer [name_f]Delfina[/name_f] / [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]. NN wise you could use; [name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_f]Delsie[/name_f], [name_f]Fia[/name_f], [name_f]Fina[/name_f], [name_f]Nia[/name_f] etc.

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - sadly I can’t get onboard with this name but if the ‘nerve’ part is the only think stopping you it may be looking at testing this name out for a while & seeing if you can adjust to it.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] - very pretty, [name_f]Flo[/name_f] wouldn’t have to be a NN option as theres plenty of other NN’s eg. [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Flossie[/name_f], [name_f]Florrie[/name_f], [name_f]Wren[/name_f] etc. Im not sure if its popular around your area but in the UK its extremely popular which would be a deal breaker for me.

[name_m]Firenze[/name_m] / [name_f]Fiorenza[/name_f] - if you both like this version & the only thing stopping you is people pronouncing it I would really take a 2nd look at it. Pronunciations can be fixed & sure people may get it wrong to start with but once they get used to it wont be an issue any more.

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - I really dislike this name, the same as [name_f]Violet[/name_f], all I read/hear is violence & violate which makes them completely unusable to me. That said [name_f]Viola[/name_f] is a nice name & overall very on trend while still standing out a little. Overall though if you husband doesn’t like this name I’d automatically veto it.

I like [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] best for you

It’s a hard choice! I’m not sure if you’re looking for suggestions, but I feel like there are more names out there that feel both strong & vintage with nickname options – so if you aren’t too tired of combing through names, I think making a post asking for suggestions could be a good idea!

To address some of your thoughts:
Athena - I’m Greek and I don’t think it sounds too Greek on a foreigner, since it’s pronounced differently in English than in Greek, and it’s so popular in the US! For nicknames, you could do Ana, Annie, Nena / Nina, Nana or Thea? I do know of two American Athenas, so it depends on how uncommon you would like the name to be.

Delphinia - I don’t know if Delphee is the most intuitive? I think some of the other nicknames like Dell and Della are equally intuitive. And I also like Phin / Phinny and Nia!

Fiorenza - I could see this one being hard to pronounce in the US, and it may feel a little too Italian? I know you said you have some ties to Italy, but unless you speak the language I probably wouldn’t do it. I love the suggestion of Fiora that someone else gave, though!

My favourite for you is probably Florence, since it’s the only one you both seem to like decently. I wouldn’t shorten it to Flo, it’s only two syllables so I’d use it in full ! But if you want nicknames, Flora, Flossie, Ren & Rennie could all be sweet. If your husband liked it more, I’d go for Viola, but since he’s expressed that it’s his least favourite name I wouldn’t do it.

I like:

[name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] & [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] (though I much prefer [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - and I would nickname to [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] or Phina).

I don’t warm to [name_f]Viola[/name_f] or [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and I find [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] too nervy/ on my nerves and [name_m]Firenze[/name_m] too frenzied.

Wildcard: how about [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]? (Gives you the nn [name_m]Percy[/name_m], [name_f]Perrie[/name_f], Sephie, [name_f]Effie[/name_f] & [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and crosses the two genres).

Athena – This is a gorgeous name, strong and still feels unique despite its recent popularity. Not sure it’s the best option for y’all, just because there isn’t many nickname options.
Zelda – Love this one too! So zippy and not too popular. Nicknames could include Zel/Zelle, ZZ, El, Elda, or Eda. The video game is definitely my first association (not a gamer) but perhaps that’s just because I’ve never met a Zelda irl.
Delphinia – Very pretty, and sounds like a good compromise! A few nicknames other than Delphi could be Dell, Della, Phin, Nia, Phina, Phia, Lina? I think y’all should definitely put some more thought into this one and try to let it grow on you.
Minerva – I’ve always had a soft spot for Minerva, with the lovely meaning, and the cute nickname Minnie! Maybe try and test this one out a bit more to see if you can get past the “nerve” sound, since it’s such a good option! As for your mother not liking the name, my grandmother said the same thing about my name until it was my name – and then I was her primary association and she began to like it!
Florence – Not my style, but a very pretty name! I don’t think Flo would be an inevitable nickname, as long as you enforce the nickname you like, whether Florrie, Flossie, Lor, Ren, or another.
Firenze/Fiorenza – Lovely name! I think the pronunciation issues aren’t too big a deal, just a simple correction can fix it, but the name is definitely very Italian so you’ll definitely encounter some confusion. If you’re still not sold, Fiora, Flora, and even Fiametta/Philomena might be good compromises?
Viola – This is my favorite by far; I LOVE this name! I think your husband could get past the Shakespeare association, since Viola’s story isn’t that bad. It does have excellent nicknames, but I don’t think pronunciation will be an issue. In fact, the popularity of Violet would lessen confusion about the pronunciation.

Overall, ranked in order:

1. Viola
  2. Delphinia
  3. Minerva
  4. Zelda
  5. Florence
  6. Athena
  7. Firenze/Fiorenza

I think the [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] is the winner. Has vintage [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] vibes.

Hmmm… you guys definitely have different styles. That’s alright though!

[name_f]Athena[/name_f]: I see this as a cool name. It is uncommon, but well-known. Historical, but with a modern edge. Some people may see this as being a little too “out there”, but I think most people would not think of it as weird. Some nicknames include [name_m]Athens[/name_m] and [name_m]Ace[/name_m]. 8/10

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]: I wish I didn’t 100% associate this name with the legend of [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], but… :woman_shrugging: It is a cool-sounding name, and [name_m]Zel[/name_m] is an even cooler nickname, but I wouldn’t be able to get past the video game association. 5/10

[name_f]Delphinia[/name_f]: I don’t like this name. it is too long and feels made up. Though [name_m]Del[/name_m] would be a cool nickname. 2/10

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]: Like you, I don’t love the “nerve” sound, just because it sounds bit harsh, but there is a lot to like about this name. The connection to [name_m]Roman[/name_m] mythology and [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] make it pretty cool. 6/10

[name_f]Florence[/name_f]: This is a pretty cool name, but I wouldn’t push [name_f]Flo[/name_f] if your husband doesn’t like it. [name_f]Flori[/name_f] is also a very natural nickname here. I feel like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is becoming more popular in the US. 7/10

Firenze/Fiorenza: I agree that you will have pronunciation issues, particularly with [name_m]Firenze[/name_m]. However, this could be a great compromise instead of [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. [name_f]Fiorenza[/name_f] is very cool, with awesome nicknames Fior and Enza available. 7.5/10.

[name_f]Viola[/name_f]: this is my favorite on your list as well. I love the V, the overall pronunciation, and nn potential. But, if your husband hates it, then it really isn’t an “option”. For me, this name gets a 9/10, but because your hubs doesn’t like it, 6/10.

Overall, I would choose [name_f]Athena[/name_f] or [name_f]Fiorenza[/name_f] for you!

Naming is so hard!

[name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts on your names…

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] ~ she’s majestic, magical and feels impactful. I think she’s a lovely option but appreciate not feeling completely sold. Nickname wise would [name_f]Thea[/name_f] work? [name_f]An[/name_f] other idea could be [name_f]Alethea[/name_f] as you have the very direct nickname of [name_f]Thea[/name_f].

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] ~ fun, spunky and energetic with this really magical sound. Personally I do not associate [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] with gaming I’m not a gamer either I associate her with [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] which makes her feel romantic. Maybe you would like [name_f]Zola[/name_f] or [name_f]Zelie[/name_f]?

[name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] ~ very elegant, feminine and dreamy a really lovely name. However I think if you’re not keen on [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] I wouldn’t go with this name maybe something like [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], [name_f]Odelia[/name_f], [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] or [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] would appeal more.

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] ~ this name is a family name for me she’s really intriguing and impactful. However I think for you the name isn’t right for you. Names that may appeal could be [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f], [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] and [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f].

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] ~ As I have said previously I really like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and I do believe [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is avoidable as a nickname. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is just so pretty with such sweet springtime imagery. I think [name_f]Florence[/name_f] could increase in popularity as the states can be influenced by trends in the UK just like similarly we have American influences. Other ideas could be [name_f]Florentine[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f] or [name_f]Floralie[/name_f]? They are pretty!

Firenze/Fiorenza ~ I think with this name you could run into pronunciation issues and for me I do prefer [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. Maybe [name_f]Fenna[/name_f] or [name_f]Fiammetta[/name_f] would appeal to you?

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] ~ she’s melodic, beautiful and really elegant. I think [name_f]Viola[/name_f] is lovely. I appreciate the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] connotations isn’t appealing to your husband but I do feel looking at the wider spectrum off desires for this child’s name she’s a winner. This name is my favourite for you guys!
You may also like [name_f]Viviana[/name_f], [name_f]Ophira[/name_f] or [name_f]Odessa[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

I like [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] best on your list. I’m not a gamer either so while I’m aware of the game my first impression/thought is more 1920’s glamour. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] would be my second choice but it does seem to be trending upwards at the moment. Have you considered [name_f]Violetta[/name_f]? Similar to the longer names on your list like [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] and would be a good alternative to viola that doesn’t have to [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] connection. [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] is my favorite nn option for her but [name_f]Vita[/name_f], [name_f]Lettie[/name_f], and [name_f]Etta[/name_f] are also new options beyond the Vi/Vivi/etc. you were already considering for [name_f]Viola[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] , [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] nn [name_f]Wren[/name_f]. I slightly prefer [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] because it feels the most unexpected and love the way it sounds .

:cherry_blossom::blossom:

You mentioned [name_f]Galatea[/name_f], and it reminded me of a couple from the show LIB who recently had a baby and named her [name_m]Galileo[/name_m] - I thought it would be a cute option for you, and I myself love the nickname [name_f]Lily[/name_f] for it, but you could also do [name_f]Gal[/name_f] (like [name_f]Gal[/name_f] Gadot) or even [name_m]Ali[/name_m].

I also saw a post on here recently (yours?) asking for longer forms of [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and someone (cannot remember who or I would mention them) suggested Roselda, which I thought was quite interesting and pretty, and offers both [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] as potential nicknames.

Of your top 7 though, I like [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] for you. Both seem to be in the perfect sweet spot of out there, but not unheard of. Since the name [name_f]Athena[/name_f] has been a favorite of mine recently I’ll put my final vote in for her. I think [name_f]Attie[/name_f], [name_f]Tina[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], or [name_f]Nina[/name_f] could all be nicknames for [name_f]Athena[/name_f] :sunny:

Good luck!

Instead of [name_f]Athena[/name_f] you could do [name_f]Althea[/name_f] nn [name_f]Allie[/name_f] or [name_f]Thea[/name_f]! It is still a Greek Mythology name but has better nickname potential. [name_f]Althea[/name_f] means “healing power” it’s also not in the top 100!

A better nickname for [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is [name_f]Flora[/name_f]! Very floral and pretty :cherry_blossom::tulip:

[name_f]Althea[/name_f] & [name_f]Florence[/name_f] are my faves for you guys!

Also, have you considered [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]? This one is a gorgeous Greek Mythology (also vintage!) name that’s due for a comeback. Could use nn Daph or [name_f]Fifi[/name_f]

Congratulations on baby girl :confetti_ball::cherry_blossom:

Out of the names on your list, I think [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is the best option for both parties. I think [name_f]Flo[/name_f] can generally be avoided if both parents can correct family members and strangers that both of you would prefer [name_f]Florence[/name_f] not be given the nn [name_f]Flo[/name_f]. Maybe [name_f]Flora[/name_f] could work as a substitute for the nickname?

ATHENA – Names like Ariadne, Daphne, and Maeve follow the mythology theme but are gaining popularity.
ZELDA – Alternatives to consider are Zerelda and Selda, if you’re hoping to break away from the video game connotation.
DELPHINIA – The abridged Delfina or Delphina might appeal to you more, or the variants Devinia and Florinia.
FLORENCE - As others have suggested, the NNs Wren, Flora, and Lora could work well. The name Florizella could loosely combine Florence and Zelda.
FIRENZE / FIORENZA – You could try blending elements of Fiorenza and Zelda into original combinations; e.g., Fiorzelda, Fiorzalda, and Fiorselda (NN Fiora). Other fiery options are Seraphine / Serafine or Seraphina / Serafina (NN Serafi). A name close to Serafina but far less common is Sefarina, meaning “west wind”.
VIOLA – Picking a variant could bring your husband around to Viola and Winifred; e.g., Violina, Violaine, Wynola or Winola (NN Winnie), and Wyola.

I hope this helps! Congrats on your baby girl!

Personally I’d think [name_f]Florrie[/name_f] or [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] would be a more intuitive name for [name_f]Florence[/name_f]!

Thank you for the thoughtful creative suggestions!

1 Like