Unique vintage girls names from 1924

I have sifted through the US top 1000 names given to girls in 1924. Listed below are those whose popularity had dropped out of the top 1000 by mid-century, so hopefully they don’t feel dated. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like any of these or feel they could be used today? I’m interested in any thoughts :blush:

Rankings added beside and more info sometimes in a tab beneath…

[name_f]Iola[/name_f] #426

Greek PN ee-oh-la and [name_f]English[/name_f] eye-oh-la, I believe. Please let me know if you know differently or can confirm.

[name_f]Theda[/name_f] #501

[name_f]Ima[/name_f] #541

Also a spelling variant of [name_f]Emma[/name_f]

[name_f]Vernice[/name_f] #543

PN verniss or verneess? I like the latter better.

[name_u]Vernell[/name_u], [name_f]Vernelle[/name_f] #543, #915

[name_f]Oleta[/name_f] #553

Proffered origins and meanings include Latin, Old [name_f]English[/name_f] - small winged one, truth

[name_f]Velda[/name_f] #594

[name_f]Era[/name_f] #695

As an [name_f]English[/name_f] word name, this could be one for the Swifties. However it may additionally come from Albanian ere meaning wind, odour, I found with Google translate! The second e has a diaeresis, I can’t include that on the keyboard I’m using. One to do your research on if you like it!

[name_f]Zona[/name_f] #726

[name_f]Tressie[/name_f] #728

diminutive of [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]

[name_f]Corene[/name_f] #765

[name_f]Lyda[/name_f] #768

[name_f]Vina[/name_f] #768

[name_f]Altha[/name_f] #774

[name_f]Sudie[/name_f] #809

[name_f]Herminia[/name_f] #882

maybe if you liked the sound of [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] but can’t be doing with the Potteriness of it?

[name_f]Bettyjane[/name_f] #845

[name_f]Myrtie[/name_f] #849

[name_f]Inell[/name_f]

possible meanings are small bird or one, alone from [name_m]German[/name_m] ‘ein’

[name_f]Sabina[/name_f] #868

[name_f]Nila[/name_f] #880

[name_f]Verlie[/name_f] #880

[name_f]Verdie[/name_f] #888

[name_f]Ceola[/name_f] #903

Native American, ‘shady place’

[name_f]Georgene[/name_f], [name_f]Georgine[/name_f] #951#985

[name_f]Coletta[/name_f] #970

[name_f]Venita[/name_f] #985

Some similar topics I made with masc names: Unique vintage boys names and Unique vintage names from 1924

5 Likes

This is so cool! Thank you for digging through the lists or us, Edge!

There are some real gems in here, I really like [name_f]Tressie[/name_f]. [name_f]Altha[/name_f], [name_f]Bettyjane[/name_f], [name_f]Verdie[/name_f] and especially [name_f]Ceola[/name_f]!

1 Like

[name_u]Awesome[/name_u], thank you for sharing! I’ve always been fascinated by those rare, one-of-a-kind names somewhat lost to history.

[name_f]Oleta[/name_f], [name_f]Era[/name_f] and [name_f]Georgine[/name_f] are quite charming.

2 Likes

I’m most enjoying [name_f]Ima[/name_f] (pronounced eye-muh like Jemima), [name_f]Velda[/name_f] and [name_f]Coletta[/name_f]. [name_f]Theda[/name_f] has been on my long list.

I can see most of these names on children today. [name_f]Vernice[/name_f], [name_f]Vernelle[/name_f], [name_f]Zona[/name_f], [name_f]Altha[/name_f] and [name_f]Inell[/name_f] would give me the biggest surprise.

2 Likes

I absolutely adore older names right now! Mh favourites from your list are:

[name_f]Iola[/name_f]
[name_f]Era[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyda[/name_f]
[name_f]Myrtie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabina[/name_f]
[name_f]Verdie[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgine[/name_f]
[name_f]Coletta[/name_f]

2 Likes

[name_f]Tressie[/name_f] is so cute! Also love [name_f]Sabina[/name_f]. I can definitely see those two being used

1 Like

[name_f]Ima[/name_f], [name_f]Velda[/name_f], [name_f]Lyda[/name_f], [name_f]Altha[/name_f], [name_f]Myrtie[/name_f], [name_f]Nila[/name_f], [name_f]Verdie[/name_f], [name_f]Coletta[/name_f] all feel like they could be used today! I could see those being chosen. They’re shorter names, feel “cute”, and a lot have that A ending.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] Faves

• [name_f]Iola[/name_f] (english pn)
  • [name_f]Era[/name_f] is quite cute as a name.
  • [name_f]Herminia[/name_f] but I’d pronounce it her-min-EE-uh. (it looks like someone tried to turn hernia into a name but that doesn’t bother me)
  • [name_f]Bettyjane[/name_f] is so cute.
    *Inell, but is it in-ell/in-uhl, or eye-nell/eye-nuhl.

[name_f]Iola[/name_f] feels like it should be trendy.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Theda[/name_f], [name_f]Iola[/name_f], [name_f]Tressie[/name_f], [name_f]Inell[/name_f], [name_f]Nila[/name_f], and [name_f]Georgine[/name_f] :slight_smile:

I think I’d say [name_f]Vernice[/name_f] as ver-nees

1 Like

I adore [name_f]Sabina[/name_f]

1 Like

I think I’m in the minority, but most of these are a miss to me - they feel like familiar names, but smooshes with familiar names (like [name_f]Verlie[/name_f] - feels like [name_f]Vera[/name_f] + [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], etc.). [name_f]Theda[/name_f] and [name_f]Sabina[/name_f] are the exceptions, though - I adore [name_f]Sabina[/name_f] and really like [name_f]Theda[/name_f]! I think they’re both beautiful and very usable. I like [name_f]Theda[/name_f] as a nn alternative to Thea/Dora for Theodora/Theodosia. [name_f]Tressie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lyda[/name_f] I want to like because they remind me of Tess/Lydia which I love, but they just don’t quite hit like I want them to. Tess(a) feels more sleek and youthful and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] more complete… I’m even more ok with Lydian/Lydda than just [name_f]Lyda[/name_f], it feels like it’s missing something to me. I do love [name_f]Sabina[/name_f] and [name_f]Theda[/name_f], though!

1 Like

Good question! I’ve found the PN’s in-ell and eye-nell online so far.

I absolutely love [name_f]Velda[/name_f]! [name_f]Corene[/name_f], [name_f]Lyda[/name_f], [name_f]Sabina[/name_f], [name_f]Nila[/name_f] and [name_f]Georgine[/name_f] are quite charming.

I prefer [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f] to [name_f]Myrtie[/name_f], same with [name_f]Coletta[/name_f] / [name_f]Colette[/name_f].

[name_f]Bettyjane[/name_f] makes me think of a Charleston’s dancer, really '20s.

I truly adore [name_f]Vernice[/name_f], in italian it means paint, I laughed a lot when I read it :joy: (but I love the original form Verna!)

1 Like

Very cool!

I like these and think they would be fun to see used today:
[name_f]Iola[/name_f]
[name_f]Theda[/name_f]
[name_f]Corene[/name_f] (prefer [name_f]Corinne[/name_f] spelling)
[name_f]Lyda[/name_f]
[name_f]Altha[/name_f]
[name_f]Myrtie[/name_f] (I think [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f] might be coming back around soonish)
[name_f]Sabina[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgine[/name_f] (love [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] and [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] too)
[name_f]Coletta[/name_f] (I also would love to see a little Colette)

1 Like