Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list! (Part 2: I-N)

UPDATE: Round 2 of the process of editing the Monster List has begun over on this thread, if you are interested: Round Two of the Monster List: The Questioning

We are due in less than two months, and I am starting to feel the pressure! I’ve finally assembled all my favorite magical, witchy, nature-drenched names into one long list of femme and unisex names, and it totals to a whopping 140 plus. This is entirely too many names to take with us to the hospital, so I’m hoping that with your help I can narrow it down to the gulp thirty-ish range.

For a little context, I am in a long-term polyamorous relationship with two live-in partners, and we will all be co-parenting together. I’ve called them T and S to avoid confusion. We’re also super pagan, hence all the witchy names! We’re planning to use two middle names, which is part of how the list got so long in the first place. Our last name spelled phonetically is KAY-lahr.

Because this list is so long, I’m breaking it down into multiple threads so I hopefully don’t overwhelm everyone. When I get all the posts up, I’ll come back and include links to each one at the end of the others for convenience. Once we get the list narrowed down somewhat, I’ll probably make a combo brainstorming thread as well.

Okay, on to the monster list: Part 2!

• [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - F - “living star; the one that sparks,” half-mythical place name used by [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], as well as a Buffyverse reference via a character in the spin-off show [name_u]Angel[/name_u]. I have loved this name for ages for its ethereal, liquid sound, but could never find a meaning beyond “ancient place name.” I finally stumbled across some etymology, and once I realized what the name means, I fell in love even harder! T likes the meaning of this one as well.
  • [name_f]Inanna[/name_f] - F - “sky lady,” ancient Sumerian goddess and eponymous character of the epic poem The Descent of [name_f]Inanna[/name_f]. This poem features heavily in the works of Starhawk, one of the most influential authors in my spiritual life. Potential downside: conservative [name_u]Christian[/name_u] family members who recognize her name would likely raise strong objections.
  • [name_f]Indira[/name_f] - F - “beauty, splendor,” Sanskrit epithet of the goddess [name_f]Lakshmi[/name_f]. This one keeps moving on and off the list. I can’t seem to make a decision. I love the look and sound, but lack a deeper connection to the name.
  • [name_u]Indra[/name_u] - U - “possessing drops of rain,” beautiful Sanskrit name for the warrior god of sky and rain, as well as a powerful and ferocious female warlord from The 100.
  • [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - F - “gift of [name_f]Isis[/name_f],” with the nickname [name_u]Isa[/name_u], this would both honor a close friend and reference one of the Norse runes. These runes are an important part of my spiritual practice, as I honor and work with the Norse pantheon of gods. As for my partners, S is a rune reader, and T has liked this name in the past.
  • [name_f]Ishtar[/name_f] - F - “eastern star,” Mesopotamian goddess of love, fertility, and war who is related to [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f], [name_f]Asherah[/name_f], [name_f]Astarte[/name_f], and Eostre. I love the heft and power of this name, as well as the look and sound. The downside: Would definitely be recognized by conservative [name_u]Christian[/name_u] family members, who would doubtless protest.
  • [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - F - “fair; under the hillside; ice maiden,” one half of [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], often referred to as the Celtic/Arthurian [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. Variants include [name_f]Isolda[/name_f], [name_f]Iseult[/name_f], and [name_f]Yseult[/name_f]. I love the [name_f]Yseult[/name_f] spelling, and it triggers my synesthesia; I get a salty, briny taste and see shades of blue, green, and grey that make me think of the ocean. Downsides: [name_f]Yseult[/name_f] would be hellish to pronounce, and T has expressed dislike for the sound of [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] in the past, which is the easiest variant to spell and pronounce.
  • [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - F - “ivy plant,” an evergreen vine associated with rebirth and the [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_u]Solstice[/name_u]. It is also one of the Ogham. (Ogham is a druidic language in which each letter is associated with a calendar period, a magical tree, and a divinatory meaning.) In the language of flowers, [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] symbolizes faithfulness. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - F - “youthful; sky father,” one of the most quintessential romantic names, with obvious Shakespearean cred a la [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f].
  • [name_u]Kestrel[/name_u] - U - “rattle; bird of prey,” a small falcon. The rattle meaning is in reference to the bird’s cry. Kestrels always remind me of one of my favorite childhood book series, The Dragon Chronicles by [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]. Potential downside: unsure if it works with our last name. Middle only.
  • Kimiya - F - “alchemy,” a Persian variant of [name_f]Kimia[/name_f]. Alternately, a Japanese boy name with multiple meanings depending on the kanji used. I keep taking this one off the list, then being lured back by the “alchemy” meaning.
  • Kisaiya - F - “purse, pocket treasure,” alternately the Romani form of [name_f]Keziah[/name_f], meaning “cassia,” a botanical similar to cinnamon. I love the cassia connection, but [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] herself is off-limits due to being too similar to our top masc name, [name_m]Caspian[/name_m].
  • [name_f]Lamia[/name_f] - F - “throat; chasm, abyss; ghost,” a beautiful queen turned man eating monster, blinded and given the gift of prophecy by the gods. She was later conflated with a famous courtesan, and from there, evolved into the myth of a vampiric seductress. Potential downside: this one may be too gothic, even for me.
  • [name_f]Lamorna[/name_f] - F - “sea, high tide,” a famous Cornish cove associated with mermaids. I go back and forth on this one. The look and sound are not my favorite, but I’m captivated by the meaning and the association with mermaids.
  • [name_u]Lark[/name_u] - U - “songbird,” a cheerful word name referring to both a bird known for its beautiful song and a playful jaunt. I love the sound and associations, but I’m unsure if it works with our last name. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Laverna[/name_f] - F - “of the spring,” a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goddess of trickery and gain, patron goddess of thieves, associated with night, the underworld, solitary places, and witchcraft. I super love all the meanings and witchy associations. Downside: the slapstick character from [name_f]Laverne[/name_f] and [name_f]Shirley[/name_f] might be more familiar to people than the witchery.
  • [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] - F - “to wash,” a beautiful Victorian place name with mythological and Shakespearean references.
  • [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] - F - “light,” the lover from [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_m]Allen[/name_m] [name_u]Poe[/name_u]'s gothic poem The [name_u]Raven[/name_u]. Variant of [name_f]Leonora[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and [name_f]Alienor[/name_f].
  • [name_f]Lillith[/name_f] - F - “air; of the night; ghost; night monster,” lore says she was [name_m]Adam[/name_m]'s first wife, unfairly demonized for refusing to submit to him. The name was likely derived from the Sumerian lilitu, spirits who slept with humans in their dreams. Potential downsides: she’s a dark and controversial figure, some [name_u]Christian[/name_u] family may object if they are familiar with her demonic associations.
  • [name_f]Lily[/name_f] - F - “the lily flower,” [name_f]English[/name_f] botanical name associated with innocence or purity. This one was very high on my list, as it honors my mother and grandmother. Big downside: S has very strong dislike for this name due to negative associations, and may use her veto power. Middle only.
  • Lirael - F - “god is my song; god is my joy,” a name invented from Hebrew roots for the eponymous character in [name_m]Garth[/name_m] [name_f]Nix[/name_f]'s Abhorsen series, one of my most beloved series of all time. I love the lilting sound and look of this name, but dislike how Judeo-[name_u]Christian[/name_u] the meaning feels to me.
  • [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] - F - “to whisper, to lure, to watch out,” a treacherous rock personified as a siren who lures sailors to their deaths with her song. Variant Loreley references one of my favorite songs by Blackmore’s [name_u]Night[/name_u]. I loved this name as a child, but I go back and forth on it now. I love the myth and meaning, but strongly dislike the similarity in sound to [name_f]Laura[/name_f].
  • [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] - F - “light,” a saint whose feast day coincides with the [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_u]Solstice[/name_u]. In some parts of Europe, she is believed to have been a witch before her pagan festival of light was Christianized. I love the nickname [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] for the [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] reference.
  • [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] - F - “snow,” a Finnish name in its own right, but could easily be a nickname for something longer like [name_f]Lumina[/name_f], [name_f]Luminosa[/name_f], or Lumiere. Lumiere, which means “light” in [name_u]French[/name_u], is by far my favorite of the longer options, but I worry that it would be forever associated with the candlestick from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] would obliquely honor S, who is of Finnish heritage.
  • Lunaria - F - “honesty,” also the botanical name for a fern called moonwort believed to have magical properties. The association with ferns has special meaning to us.
  • Luthien - F - “love, to become dear; to enchant,” Sindarin name for a character Tolkien created in honor of his wife. He even had the name carved on her tombstone, so it always has very romantic connotations for me.
  • [name_f]Lysistrata[/name_f] - F - “she who disbands armies,” heroine of a Greek play about a woman who convinces all her fellow wives to withhold sex until their husbands agree to end a drawn-out war. I love the story and the name is fun to say, but I worry it is too much, even for me.
  • Mairenni - F - “of the sea,” Romani variant of [name_f]Marina[/name_f]. I love the meaning and origin of this name, but it sounds a little too much like plain [name_f]Mary[/name_f] for me to feel sure about it.
  • Marzanna - F - “to die; to freeze; to dream,” Slavic goddess of winter and death. In the spring, a representation of her is “drowned” to signal the end of winter. There are many things I love about this name and its folklore, but I worry that the associations are too heavy for a child.
  • [name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u] - U - “songbird,” a beautiful compound-word nature name with all the dreaminess of [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] plus the lilt of [name_u]Lark[/name_u]. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] - F - “strong in work,” in [name_u]French[/name_u] folklore, she was a water spirit, essentially a freshwater mermaid, who turned into a serpent from the waist down once a week. She made her husband swear never to look at her during this time, and when he did, she left him. I love the idea of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as an unexpected nickname.
  • [name_f]Merewen[/name_f] - F - “sublime delight,” an obscure goddess-turned-saint who is referenced in medieval romantic literature. I love everything about this name except the [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-like sound.
  • [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - F - “thought, intellect, of the mind,” [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goddess of wisdom, invention, art, and martial strength. Also the first name of famous fictional witch McGonagall. Obliquely honors T.
  • [name_f]Moon[/name_f] - U - “the moon,” one of the more adventurous word names, with obvious pagan and witchy connotations. Also references the main character of American Gods, a book that, while fictional, has been very influential in my spiritual life. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] - F - “waves of the sea; white sea,” Welsh variant of [name_f]Morgana[/name_f], as well as an obscure Cornish goddess who became a saint, famous for building a stone church with her own hands. Where she once stopped to rest, legend says a spring gushed forth, which became one of the sacred wells that hold so much meaning for pagans and Christians alike. This name has been near the top of my list for years. I’m madly in love with it.
  • Mycelia - F - “the vegetative part of a fungus, consisting of a network of fine white filaments,” a minor character from The [name_u]New[/name_u] Legends of Monkey. This name is a huge guilty pleasure for me. I’m obsessed with the mycelial networks of mushrooms, because they connect the entire web of a forest ecosystem, relaying messages from one area to another in a way that almost directly mirrors the neurons in our human brains. In essence, mycelia are some of our strongest evidence that trees and forests are sentient organisms that can think and communicate. When I encountered the word used as a name for a character in a TV show - a very witchy character with a magical garden who dispensed mysterious plants and cryptic advice - I fell head over heels in love. Because this name is such a GP, I’ve deemed it middle only.
  • Myristica - F - “fragrant,” botanical name for the genus of trees including nutmeg. I love the look and sound, but worry that it might be too much of a mouthful.
  • Nanaya - F - “incense; water, fluid; offspring,” a Sumerian goddess closely associated with [name_f]Inanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Ishtar[/name_f].
  • Nareli - U - “orange blossom; honor,” an obscure Romani name that may be a variant of Neroli or Honorilla - the meaning changes depending on which.
  • [name_f]Nashira[/name_f] - F - “good news,” a star in the constellation Capricorn. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the celestial association, but not a huge fan of the Judeo-[name_u]Christian[/name_u] vibes I get from the literal meaning.
  • [name_f]Nasrin[/name_f] - F - “wild rose,” Arabic name for the constellations [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] and [name_u]Aquila[/name_u].
  • [name_f]Nephele[/name_f] - F - “cloudy,” a little-known figure from Greek mythology who was created from clouds and became the mother of the centaurs.
  • [name_u]Nepenthe[/name_u] - U - “to banish pain and sorrow,” an ancient remedy for grief referenced in [name_u]Poe[/name_u]'s The [name_u]Raven[/name_u]. I love the look and feel of this name, as well as the particular literary reference. [name_f]My[/name_f] hesitation is that nepenthe was technically a drug. Is that inappropriate?
  • [name_f]Nerine[/name_f] - F - “lily; of the sea god,” a nymph and Nereid, daughter of [name_m]Nereus[/name_m], the sea god. The fact that nerine is also a type of lily means this would honor my mother and grandmother.
  • [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f] - F - “daughter of the sea,” a sea nymph. Also used for a character in [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s The Merchant of [name_f]Venice[/name_f]. Possible downside: one of my friends helped choose her baby sister’s name, and [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f] was the middle name they chose. I know it’s a tenuous connection, but still wouldn’t want it to seem like I was naming my child after this person or her sister.
  • [name_f]Nerys[/name_f] - F - “lady,” Welsh variant of [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f]. This also happens to reference one of my favorite sci-fi series, via [name_f]Kira[/name_f] [name_f]Nerys[/name_f], a Bajoran officer from the [name_f]Star[/name_f] Trek spin-off Deep Space [name_f]Nine[/name_f].
  • [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] - U - “night singer,” a word name with connotations of beautiful song and deep velvety night. I also like the association with healing via [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] - F - “cloud; pale wanderer; [name_f]Lady[/name_f] of the [name_u]Lake[/name_u],” sorceress of Arthurian legend, frequently associated with the [name_f]Lady[/name_f] of the [name_u]Lake[/name_u]. Sometimes she is described as [name_m]Merlin[/name_m]'s lover, sometimes the duplicitous witch who sealed him inside a tree, and sometimes both. This name obliquely honors my sister [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], as well as the late [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] Nimoy, for whom I have always had tremendous respect. It is one of the top names on my list, with [name_f]Nim[/name_f] as a nickname to bring in references to The Rats of NIMH trilogy, as well as the eponymous character from the movie [name_f]Nim[/name_f]'s [name_u]Island[/name_u], which is a further homage to my sister.
  • [name_u]Noor[/name_u] - U - “light,” both an Arabic religious name referring to illumination or enlightenment and a [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] diminutive of [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]. Middle only.

That’s it for Part 2! Part 3 will have to wait for tomorrow, as it’s past 1am here, and I must toddle off to bed.

You can find Part 1 of the Monster List here: Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list! (Part 1: A-G) and Part 3 is now up here: Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list of names! (Part 3: O-Z)

Thank you, beloved Berries, for all of your help and support!

1 Like

For you, I love

Illyria
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Nimue[/name_f]
[name_f]Nerine[/name_f]
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] :heart_eyes:
Lunaria
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
[name_u]Kestrel[/name_u]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]

1 Like

God, I love looking at your list! :heart_eyes:

My favourites:
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - I love everything about this for you! It seems like there’s a lot of personal reasons, and it’s also just a beautiful name with a lot of history behind it.
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - Gorgeous middle!
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - I recognise it’s more popular than many of your choices, but I love how etherial the name sounds.
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f] - This name gives off the most modern-witch vibes for me and I love the sound.
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] - It’s in my personal top 5 for the exact same reasons you like it! Also the sound and imagery are gorgeous and I love the warmth of the name.
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] - just [name_f]Lumi[/name_f]! Especially as a middle for you.
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - Amazing mythical and literary connections. I would love to grow up with a name with this meaning.
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] - I LOVE everything about this!
[name_f]Nimue[/name_f] - I love this choice for you and the name on it’s own.
[name_u]Noor[/name_u] - Would be a stunning middle imo!

1 Like

Illyria
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Lark[/name_u]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Nimue[/name_f]
[name_u]Noor[/name_u]

1 Like

My favourites for you:
[name_f]Ishtar[/name_f] - bold choice but great sounds!
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Lark[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
Mairenni
[name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u]
[name_f]Melusine[/name_f]
[name_f]Merewen[/name_f]

Morwenna [name_u]Lark[/name_u] is my favourite.

1 Like

I’d keep:

Illyria

Isadora

Lavinia

Lenore

Lucia

Noor

1 Like

What a stunning list!

My top choices:
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Lark[/name_u]
Lunaria
[name_f]Nerine[/name_f]
[name_f]Nimue[/name_f]

1 Like

Lorelei and [name_f]Nerine[/name_f] are so gorgeous!!

My favorites: [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_f]Lenore[/name_f], [name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u] (Would you consider [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]? I also like that), [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] (not to add more names to your already long list, but might you like [name_f]Morrigan[/name_f] as well? The meaning/description you have for [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] is so beautiful, too), [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] (since you’re using it as a middle, I too think it’s a bit too bold as a FN choice but it’s such a beautiful word/imagery) and [name_f]Nimue[/name_f].

You have so many interesting and very meaningful names on your list!

1 Like

Again, these are stunning names!

My keep suggestions are:

Inanna
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_u]Lark[/name_u]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f] (I never saw the [name_f]Lumière[/name_f] connection until you mentioned it)
Lunaria
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Moon[/name_f]
[name_f]Nimue[/name_f]

1 Like

Another amazing list! I would keep:

Ivy
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
[name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u]
Nareli
[name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
[name_u]Noor[/name_u]

1 Like

What a beautiful list!

I read both this thread and Part 1, I will also read part 3 when its out. Based off what I read from both of them, There were not many stand outs on A-G except for [name_f]Fern[/name_f]. [name_f]Fern[/name_f] seems to be like something that is meaningful for all 3 of you and I love that. It seems like one perfect middle name for you. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] also seemed to be one of T favorites so that is something you may consider as middle.

Other stand outs on this list:
[name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f] and all its longer versions. I like Lumiere as well and do not the Disney reference should deter you, there are numerous ‘common’ Disney name now.
Lunaria
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]/Noor
[name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u]/Lark

I do like Mycelia/Caelia/Celia, [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] too, but they seem a little ‘tame’ for you guys but may be a good middle name. I know its technically not on the list, but I liked [name_f]Celestia[/name_f] for you guys too (you mentioned [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] on the first thread)

The only ones I think you should remove should be [name_u]Briar[/name_u], [name_f]Lily[/name_f]/Lily Variants, and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] as at least one partner has said they do not like it.

1 Like

Love these as well, but for sure keep
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Laverna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_u]Noor[/name_u]

1 Like

Okay! I love this part of the alphabet for you. :heart_eyes: I can see why you’re having difficulty narrowing it down. As such, I’m sorry, but I believe it’s time to strike [name_f]Lily[/name_f] from the list, you have a mountain of wonderful names here so no reason to keep it on if one of the parents isn’t on board.

[name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: did you do it? Did you find it? Is this the one perfect name!!! Maybe, hopefully, I’ll keep going but please keep this one on the list for further consideration!

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] is really nice and I like the connections to everyone. I see this going in the middle with [name_u]Adler[/name_u] from the last post :relaxed:

I love the mermaid associations of Lamora too, and I quite like the sound actually, thanks for introducing it to me. Unfortunately though, like with [name_f]Lily[/name_f], if you don’t like a name it’s time to say goodbye. :pleading_face:

Yesterday I made a commitment to convince everyone to name their children [name_f]Lenore[/name_f]. :grinning: So this is well timed.

Yes please keep [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] on your list!

Best of luck and congratulations of course! I hope this is helpful, looking forward to your end of the alphabet names. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Edited to add: I can see the name Illyria honoring the Lilys in your life.

1 Like

My favourites for you:
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
Lunaria
[name_f]Merewen[/name_f]
[name_f]Moon[/name_f]
[name_f]Nerine[/name_f]
[name_f]Nimue[/name_f]

I particularly love that Lunaria is a magical fern :heart_eyes:, the fact that [name_f]Nerine[/name_f] honours your mother and grandmother, and I love the overall sound and meaning of [name_f]Nimue[/name_f]. That’s my top 3 from this section!

1 Like

Okay, part two let’s goooo.

I’d keep

1. Illyria - one of the most stunningly beautiful names of all time. I too have struggled with the lack of meaning! (where did you find the etymology!?) But with the meaning you have here there is really nothing I can fault this on. T also likes it, so plus.
  2. Inanna/Ishtar - the ancient goddess is SO powerful and both of these names are super underrated. You have a special spiritual connection to them which is a huge plus. Again, flush your conservative family member’s religious opinions. It’s your baby. You wouldn’t raise objections to them if they wanted to name their daughter [name_f]Esther[/name_f] or [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], even though you don’t identify as [name_u]Christian[/name_u]. I wouldn’t let their religious beliefs influence my decision if I were you.
  3. Isadora - seems like all three of you have a connection to this name! As well as that, it honours a close friend. Tick, tick!
  4. Juliet - I love the duality of this name being so romantic and feminine but also having roots in Jovis/Jupiter which is a super expansive, powerful, masculine energy. It also is a more doable, wearable version of [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] via the parallels between [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] & Isole / [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] & [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - a version that T might like better.
  5. Laverna - This is a show-stopping name for sure. It’s so elegant, powerful and graceful. I am floored every time I see it. For what it’s worth, I do not have any clue who [name_f]Laverne[/name_f] and [name_f]Shirley[/name_f] are and I suspect most young people’s first association with [name_f]Laverne[/name_f] would be actress Cox. [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t speak for the older gen.
  6. Lilith - I get elven/Sindarin/dark fairy vibes from this name and I love that so much. She is also a feminist icon who really is one of the first examples of the importance of standing up for oneself and saying “no”, and I think that’s an incredibly powerful namesake. It’s also familiar enough to be easy for most people, super intuitive pronunciation. I’d spell it with one L.
  7. Morwenna - you haven’t described any other name thus far as one you’re “madly in love with” and that sticks out to me! It’s also been consistently at the top of your list for years. Definitely keep this. I’ve booted off a few other similar M names in favour of this.
  8. Luthien - I love this name to the ends of the earth, and I think it deserves to be used more. Luthien is one of the most amazing female characters I’ve read, she’s so capable and intelligent and brave and loving, I adore that she rescues her man, not the other way around! The only downside to this name is that some people say it sounds like [name_f]Lucienne[/name_f] with a lisp, bu that’s not everyone. I love that the name kind of feels [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m]-esque in its dark beauty, and the romantic Tolkien association is heartbreakingly beautiful. Keep keep!
  9. Melusine - I think you have to choose just one of your many watery, mermaidy M & N names. I went with [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] because it’s somewhere between [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] & [name_f]Nerine[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as an unexpected nickname too! I like the story behind it - [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] has integrity and values her boundaries - she means what she says, she follows through!
  10. Nimue - you clearly have a special love for this name and it’s been a consistent fave for a long time. I love that it honours your sister as well as one of your role models, as well as having witchy/legendary/mythological associations.

I’d drop

• Indira - if it keeps moving on and off the list, and it lacks a deeper connection, it’s gotta go.
  • Isolde - T dislikes, it’s hard to pronounce and has variants up the wazoo.
  • Kestrel - I agree this doesn’t work with your last name.
  • Indra - there are lots of i names on your list that seem more meaningful and interesting.
  • Kimiya - If you keep taking it off the list, take it off the list.
  • Kisaiya - confusing to spell/pronounce and even in this form it feels too similar to be [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]’s sibling (I assume you’d like to use [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] in the future if the opportunity arises). Also doesn’t work well with last name.
  • Lamia - while I don’t think this is necessarily too dark, I think [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is a more beautiful name with a very similar sound, meaning and association, so I dropped this in favour of [name_f]Lilith[/name_f].
  • Lamorna - I think you need to love the look and sound of the name as well as the meaning. [name_f]Laverna[/name_f] is superior, imho.
  • Lavinia - feels like [name_f]Laverna[/name_f] but without all the witchy magical meaning behind it.
  • Lily - very strong dislike on the part of S? Scrap it. You could honour your mother and grandmother through [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] (if they aren’t offended by the name) since it shares the same sound.
  • Lirael - while it’s pretty, I wouldn’t use this one if the meaning gives you too many Judeo-[name_u]Christian[/name_u] feels. I’d choose something that more reflects your personal beliefs.
  • Lysistrata - I agree this is too much, it’s going to be difficult to bear and will be challenging for others to spell/pronounce. I’d go with something more intuitive.
  • Myristica - ditto
  • Merwen - similar to [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f], but not as good
  • Minerva - ditto
  • Mairenni - If you’re not sure about it, and you have 140+ names on your list, I’d boot it. It’s also not the most beautiful or interesting name you’ve listed, imho.
  • Marzanna - I love dark names as much as the next person, but I wouldn’t name my child something that gets drowned in a ritual every year, pagan though I may be.
  • Nanaya - I think [name_f]Inanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Ishtar[/name_f] are both nicer names that achieve the same thing.
  • Lorelei - if you go back and forth… you already know what I’m gonna say :wink:
  • Lenore - not as magical or interesting as many other L names you’ve listed.
  • Lucia - I think [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] is a more interesting, unique way to get to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] feels a little common and ‘basic’ for your tastes
  • Nepenthe - I don’t know if it’s inappropriate per se, but there are other N names that don’t carry the same potential issue, so I’d go with them instead
  • Nephele - a personal favourite of mine, but doesn’t seem to carry much meaning for you and may cause spelling/pronunciation issues.
  • Nashira - though I don’t think “good news” necessarily means Judeo-Christianity, I can understand you wanting to avoid that feeling.
  • Nareli - feels ‘meh’ compared to so many others you have, imho.
  • Lunaria - this always stops me in my tracks when I see/hear it, and I love that it has special meaning to you through ferns. However, I’d personally drop this because to the average person, it may just look like a kree8tyve mishmash of [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f], two hyper-popular, trendy names right now, leaving it feeling dated later on.
  • Nerissa - this is one of my personal favourites but if there is any connection (however tenuous) that gives you pause and you have so many other great options, then maybe you should let this one go.
  • Nerine / [name_f]Nerys[/name_f] - [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] seems a better way to get to the same thing.

I’d keep, only for the middle

• Ivy
  • Lark
  • Meadowlark
  • Moon
  • Lumi
  • Nightingale
  • Nasrin
  • Noor

[name_f]My[/name_f] top 20 so far

Alder, [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], [name_f]Asherah[/name_f], [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f], [name_f]Celestia[/name_f], [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], [name_f]Cynara[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], [name_f]Inanna[/name_f]/Ishtar, [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Laverna[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f], Luthien, [name_f]Melusine[/name_f], [name_f]Nimue[/name_f]

Aaaaaahhh! Had to make some sharp cuts here that I felt sad about (bye bye, [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f] and Lunaria :sob:) so I can only imagine your struggle. Heading to part 3 :running_woman: :dash:

1 Like

Here are some names that I think hit the perfect mix of usable and unique, and should be kept!!

Illyria
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolda[/name_f]
[name_u]Lark[/name_u]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillith[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Nashira[/name_f]

1 Like

I posted on you first post so I thought I would go ahead and post on all there so. Here are my favourites from this list and why?

Isadora - I love that it is a change on the classic [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]/Isabella etc…

Lenore - I love it plain and simple. Reminds me of [name_f]Lenora[/name_f], but that is a given considering that it’s just a change in the last letter

Lorelei - this is the name of a [name_m]German[/name_m] myth about a siren. As well as it’s common from the [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls

Minerva - just like it

Nerissa - close to [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f] is [name_f]Merissa[/name_f] if you wanted to slightly change it. People won’t know that it’s another person baby’s middle name. When you meet someone you tell them you first name and sometimes your last. You don’t walk up to someone and say (for example) “[name_m]Hi[/name_m], my name is [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_m]Smith[/name_m], it’s nice to meet you” unless you know both babies you won’t see the connection

1 Like

I would keep: [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_f]Merewen[/name_f], [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] and [name_f]Nimue[/name_f]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] absolute favorites that I would pick for you are [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_f]Merewen[/name_f] and [name_f]Nimue[/name_f]!

1 Like

Wonderful list! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are…

Illyria - 6/10
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - 10/10
Aprodite - 7/10
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - 8/10
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite! - 11/10
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - 10/10
[name_u]Lark[/name_u] - 8/10 - Prefer it as a middle though
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f] - 7/10
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - 9/10
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] - 8.5/10
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - 10/10
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] - 7/10 - It sounds like you don’t love this one, and your others are lovely.
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] - 9/10 - I don’t think this one fits in as well with your other names though
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f] - 8/10 - 10/10 for a nickname for [name_f]Lumina[/name_f] or Luminara
[name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u] - 10/10! - I love this one as a middle!
[name_f]Moon[/name_f] - 10/10
[name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] - 8/10 - Not my favorite, but it seems to fit well with your other names
[name_f]Nimue[/name_f] - 7/10

Hope this helps, and your lists are so lovely!

1 Like