Round Two of the Monster List: The Questioning

UPDATE: eliminated names are in strikethrough text.

Hello, beloved Berries!

If you’ve been following my original posts (starting with this one Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list! (Part 1: A-G)) you’ll know that I began with massive list of 141 names, which over the last several days, y’all have helped me trim down to 43 keepers and 30 maybes, names that I couldn’t bring myself to boot from the list, but that I definitely have questions about.

This thread is for the names in that second category. I need your advice and input on whether you think these names belong on the list we take to the hospital, or whether we should leave them on the cutting floor.

In previous threads, I found that every single bit of feedback was helpful, even just yes or no votes. I did notice that for the names I was questioning, when people were able to articulate the reasons why they voted yes or no, I found those replies extra helpful in organizing my own thoughts and feelings about the various names.

A little background on our family: I (the pregnant one) am in a long-term polyamorous relationship with two live-in partners, and we will all be co-parenting together. I’ve called them T and S to avoid confusion. We’re also super pagan, hence all the witchy names! We’re planning to use two middle names, which is part of how the list got so long in the first place. Our last name spelled phonetically is KAY-lahr.

For context, this is the current list of Keepers.

Firsts or Middles
[name_u]Alder[/name_u], [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f], [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] (nn Cozy), [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f], [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f], [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] (nn [name_u]Noor[/name_u]), [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] / Lumiere, Lunaria, [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]), [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f], Mycelia, [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Nim[/name_f]), [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], [name_f]Oona[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u], [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f]), [name_f]Senara[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvana[/name_f] (and variants), [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]), and [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f] (nn Wish).

Middles Only
[name_f]Alcyone[/name_f], [name_f]Bianca[/name_f], [name_u]Cypress[/name_u], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_f]Fawn[/name_f], [name_f]Fern[/name_f] / Fearn, [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u], [name_f]Moon[/name_f], [name_u]Nairne[/name_u], [name_f]Nasrin[/name_f], [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u], [name_u]Noor[/name_u], [name_u]Oleander[/name_u], [name_u]Snow[/name_u], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f].

And without further ado, here is the list of Names in Question (and what those Questions are):

• [name_f]Alice[/name_f] - This would be a middle name only, because I was told by a friend that if I named my child [name_f]Alice[/name_f], said friend would call her [name_f]Ally[/name_f]. I cannot stand that nickname, so my solution was not to use any [name_m]Al[/name_m]- names as firsts. T loves this name, and I used to, but after years of being on the list, I feel like it has lost its lustre. Is this name too plain compared to the rest of our list? Is it lacking that special spark?
    * Aradia - Originally on the list because of Aradia: Gospel of the Witches, a formative text for many neopagan religions, though much of the original research has since been corrected. In the book, Aradia is the daughter of [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m] and the goddess [name_f]Diana[/name_f], and she became the first witch and mother of all witches. Is this name too similar to words like radio, radiation, or radioactive? Does it seem like a misspelling of the name [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f]?
    * [name_f]Araluen[/name_f] - This name is on the list for its musical sound and magical meaning, “place of the water lilies.” It’s an Australian place name from an Aboriginal language. Would it be culturally appropriative for a non-Aboriginal family to use this name?
    * [name_f]Asherah[/name_f] - There are many things I love about this name. The meaning, “she who treads on the sea,” is simply gorgeous. The name comes from a Sumerian goddess who is associated with water signs, and our little Nugget is due to be a Pisces (probably why I’m so drawn to so many watery, mermaid names). [name_f]Asherah[/name_f] was one of the original mother goddesses, related to [name_f]Inanna[/name_f], [name_f]Ishtar[/name_f], [name_f]Astarte[/name_f], etc. The big problem: [name_f]Asherah[/name_f] was originally the consort of the god of the Old Testament, back when he was still part of the Canaanite pantheon, and there are verses in the Bible in which this god’s prophets order the Israelites to destroy all of [name_f]Asherah[/name_f]'s temples as they moved toward monotheism. [name_f]My[/name_f] family and T’s are both devoutly religious conservative Christians, and they are familiar with this name from these passages. I fully expect to receive a lot of pushback if I choose this name. I wouldn’t care if it only affected me, but I don’t want my child to constantly be told that their name is demonic, evil, idolatrous, etc. Is it better to just avoid the issue altogether by scrapping this name? And, on a less dramatic note, is [name_f]Asherah[/name_f] destined to be shortened to [name_u]Ash[/name_u] and lost among the sea of Ashleys and Ashers and Ashtons?
  • [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] - I don’t know that I have any specific questions about this name. I just feel torn about whether to keep it. I feel like I have stronger connections to some of the other names on the Keepers list, but I also can’t bring myself to discard this one. I love the deep connection with Arthurian romance, especially in the Mists of [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] series. Does anyone have strong opinions one way or the other that could help me make up my mind?
  • [name_f]Circe[/name_f] - I love, love, LOVE this name. I cannot stop thinking about it, and I would use it in a heartbeat if there were no issues. But both T and S asked, “like [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister?” when I brought it up. Noooo! Is this your association with the name? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think everyone will assume a little [name_f]Circe[/name_f] is named after the Game of Thrones character? [name_f]Do[/name_f] I need to give this one up??
  • [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - I love the regal, liquid sound of this name, the beautiful “[name_m]Cor[/name_m]-” syllable, and the meaning “daughter of the sea.” I also love the Shakespearean connection. There are two issues with this name. One is that some close friends named their daughter a [name_m]Cor[/name_m]- name, and she goes by [name_u]Corrie[/name_u]. Would this be too similar? Another question is whether people think first of the character from [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Lear[/name_m], or the one from [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] the Vampire Slayer and [name_u]Angel[/name_u]? Though I do love a good [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] reference, that [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is not someone I would consider a good character to name my child after.
    * [name_f]Farasha[/name_f] - This name got zero yes votes on the original post. I was wondering if someone could articulate what they don’t like about it? I don’t necessarily have a strong connection to the name, but I find it lush and beautiful, and the “butterfly” meaning is associated with transformation.
    * [name_f]Forsythia[/name_f] - I am so, so divided on this name. I keep thinking I should let it go, because the meaning is so bland - it’s simply named after [name_m]Forsyth[/name_m], the botanist who discovered the flower. ([name_m]Forsyth[/name_m], in turn, means “man of peace.”) But I just love the look of it and the way it sounds when said aloud. Got any opinions that could help me decide?
    * [name_f]Inanna[/name_f] - This name has much the same problem as [name_f]Asherah[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] family is familiar with [name_f]Inanna[/name_f] from lots of luridly embellished [name_u]Christian[/name_u] literature about the “false gods” that were supplanted by their Old Testament deity. I know it’s illogical to let my family’s religious opinions dictate my naming preferences. But at the same time, is it fair to consider a name that would expose my child to a lot of negative attention and extra proselytizing from their relatives?
  • [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - On paper, this name is perfect for us. T loves it, and the nickname [name_u]Isa[/name_u] would honor a close friend who used to go by this name, as well as obliquely honoring S, who is a runecaster. [name_u]Isa[/name_u] is the name of one of the runes that we use in our magical practices. We have so many connections to this name, but part of me just doesn’t want to commit to it. I feel like I’m much more in love with some of our other names. But is it right to use my veto power on something my partners really like, for reasons I can’t even explain to myself?
    * [name_f]Ishtar[/name_f] - Literally the same question as [name_f]Inanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Asherah[/name_f] - which makes sense, as they’re all versions of the same goddess.
  • [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - When I was reading the feedback on this name, I was expecting to feel strongly one way or the other, but I was coming up kinda blank. I love the connections to [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], the Ogham, herbal medicine, even my childhood home, which was covered in ivy vines. But something about it is holding me back. I feel like it’s one of those trendy hippie names people use, like [name_u]Piper[/name_u] and [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. What do you think? Is there enough ethereal magic in [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] to blend with the rest of our Keeper list?
    * [name_f]Laverna[/name_f] - I love the story behind this name: [name_f]Laverna[/name_f] is a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goddess of trickery and gain, patron goddess of thieves, associated with night, the underworld, solitary places, and witchcraft. What is not to be excited about?? But I am struggling with the name itself. The look and sound are not my favorite, and I don’t like the similarity to [name_f]Laverne[/name_f], because of the TV [name_u]Land[/name_u] slapstick comedy [name_f]Laverne[/name_f] and [name_f]Shirley[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think I should keep this one for its stellar meaning, or let it go because of the other concerns?
  • [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] - There’s so much to love about this name, but I can’t help feeling the connection is superficial compared to some of my deeper, more magical options. What do you love (or loathe) about [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think she sounds witchy enough to join the other Keepers?
    * Lirael - This name has a few issues, and yet part of me really loves it. One difficulty is that the name was invented by [name_m]Garth[/name_m] [name_f]Nix[/name_f] for his Abhorsen series. I absolutely adore this series, but not sure if it would be too much to name a child after one of the books. Another is that the meaning of the Hebrew roots would be “god is my song,” or “god is my joy,” both of which are a little uncomfortably Judeo-[name_u]Christian[/name_u] for my taste. I just haven’t been able to let go. I think part of it is the musical way this name sounds with our last name. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it deserves to go on the keep list, or should the concerns outweigh the aesthetics?
    * [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] - This is another name that has been on my list for so long that I feel like it’s starting to lose some of its shine. Is [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] too tame compared to the other names on our list? Does it seem too [name_u]Christian[/name_u]? T also has a cousin who named one of their daughters [name_f]Luciana[/name_f]. Would that be problematic to have two such similar names in the same extended family?
    * [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - I’m questioning whether this is one of those names where I love the idea more than the reality. In my mind, this would honor T, because [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is a goddess of wisdom, invention, art, and martial strength, while T is an engineer, blacksmith, and martial artist. Is it worth keeping if I like the idea of the name more than the name itself?
    * [name_f]Nephele[/name_f] - I was very surprised to get no positive feedback on this name in my original post. When I first joined Nameberry, it seemed like [name_f]Nephele[/name_f] was on everyone’s list of magical, fantasy, mythological names. [name_m]Can[/name_m] someone articulate what they do or don’t like about this name? I was also told there would be pronunciation issues. I’ve always heard it said NEFF-eh-lee. Is that how you would say this name? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it would constantly be pronounced differently?
    * [name_f]Nerine[/name_f] - When we first started talking names, [name_f]Lily[/name_f] was toward the top of my list for a middle name because it would honor my mother and grandmother. S used her veto power because of an awful association with the name. [name_f]Nerine[/name_f] would be another way to honor these two women, as one of the meanings is a type of lily. [name_f]My[/name_f] concern here is pronunciation. Would you say NEHR-in-ay? Neh-REEN? Something else?
    * [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - There is a big part of me that loves this name, but I have some pretty looming reservations. What do you think of when you see [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]? The myth, or the [name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_u]Rice[/name_u] novel? [name_u]Or[/name_u] the jewelry company? The streaming service? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think the name can work without sounding… it’s hard to describe what I mean. Like a commodity, maybe?
  • [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] feelings for this name are all over the place. I love everything about the As You Like It connection. I love that it sounds floral and botanical. I love that there’s a slightly Victorian vibe. I love that it feels both dignified and secretly a little wild. But there is a very snobby voice in my head that turns up its nose at this name and says, “but it’s so normal!” What do you think, Berries? Is this name too mainstream? Is it witchy enough?
  • [name_u]Rune[/name_u] - This is another one that seems like it should be a no-brainer, because of all the meaning it holds for my partners and I and our various religious and magical practices. I also love that it means “secret.” Since it’s a single-syllable word name, I’d only keep it as a middle. Part of me really loves the name, but I also feel strangely detached from it. What do you think? Is it worth keeping? Am I just experiencing name fatigue, or does that lack of feeling mean it’s time to let this one go?
    * [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] - I don’t normally copy and paste word for word from a previous post, but I feel like I summed up my feelings for this name perfectly over on my previous thread: “I find myself more torn than I would have ever expected. I love the fierceness I associate with this name, from the fiery meaning to the personality of the namesake, truly one of my favorite fictional witches. [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_u]Green[/name_u] played [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] Pekkala in the (admittedly flawed) film adaptation of the first book, and it was the perfect casting, because her sharp, fey, otherworldly beauty is exactly the vibe I get from this name. At the same time, the angelic association does distance me a little from my love of the name, and I’m suddenly worried that rather than honoring S, it would be so similar to her name as to be confusing to have them both in the same household.” What do you think? How strong is the association between [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] and the seraphim? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you automatically think of the Judeo-[name_u]Christian[/name_u] religions when you hear this name? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it would be too confusing to have a Sarah and a [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] in the same house?
    * Sinfai - This is an odd little name that didn’t garner much of a positive response in the original post. A Romani variant of [name_f]Cynthia[/name_f], it means “woman from the place of the moon.” Something about it is so enchanting to me, even though I feel like it’s probably too…something. Too obscure? Too strange? Too obvious with that Sin- syllable? I don’t know, Berries. What are your honest opinions?
  • [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] - There is so much to love about this name - the rich open vowels, the celestial associations, and the meaning of something precious and treasured. One bit of feedback I got is that since it’s a Persian name, it wouldn’t be usable unless we were Iranian. Is there a concern about cultural appropriation here that I’ve missed?
  • [name_u]Starling[/name_u] - This is another name where I’m not sure if I’m actually disenchanted with it, or if I’m just overthinking everything because pregnancy brain + name fatigue. It would be a middle only, and I love that it sounds celestial and rhymes with “darling.” Again, it seems like a name I should be head-over-heels for, so why don’t I feel much of anything? Is it worth keeping to see if it shines more in a combo than it does by its lonesome?
  • [name_f]Titania[/name_f] - I really love many aspects of this name, the two biggest being that she’s the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] of the Fairies, and that she’s from my favorite Shakespearean play (and I’m obviously a [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] fan), A Midsummer [name_u]Night[/name_u]'s [name_u]Dream[/name_u]. I think what’s holding me back are the pronunciation concerns, especially with that first syllable. Which is more common, tih-TAHN-ya, or tie-TAY-nee-ah? Is there actually any teasing potential here, or is that something only adults would think of?
    * [name_u]Vivendel[/name_u] - I ended up choosing this one over [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], in part because of its lovely botanical meaning (it’s the Norwegian name for honeysuckle), and in part because it always sounds so elvish to me, likely because it rhymes with Tolkien’s Rivendell. I had moved it to the middle name slot, thinking that would quell my twinges of doubt, but I’m back to second-guessing myself. Is this name worth keeping as a middle? Should I let it go altogether?
  • [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] - I love the Stardust connection and the potential path to [name_f]Evie[/name_f], one of my favorite nicknames. I also like that a gender-swapped version of this name was given to one of the Knights of the Round Table. It’s one of those that seems to have everything going for it, but I just keep staring at it, confused. Is it just name fatigue? [name_m]Can[/name_m] someone tell me what you love about it? What you don’t like? Where any issues lie?

Okay, that should be all 30 of them. [name_f]Every[/name_f] bit of feedback helps, even if it’s just to reveal to me that I have strong feelings one way or another in response. I await your wise judgments, my dears!

4 Likes

Your child is going to be super lucky - you are clearly putting SO much thought into these names! I love the witchy theme you have going on. :crystal_ball: :sparkles:

Let’s see…

The names that stick out to me on this list as KEEPERS are…

• Circe
  • Farasha
  • Nephele
  • Nerine
  • Rosalind
  • Soraya

I chose these names because they seem to be the ones you are most attached to, after reading each of your statements for the names. The cons you gave for these names felt minuscule compared to some of the others, and I could basically hear your heart through the screen telling me to tell you to not let them go :joy: I’ll briefly explain why…

Circe… I would not have made the GoT connection, and I don’t think many people would. I think of the Greek enchantress, which is an awesome association! If it helps, by the way, when you google the character [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister, the first description I found for her was this: “[name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister has consistently remained one of the show’s most powerful and formidable characters.” [name_m]Even[/name_m] if, on the off chance people do point this out, that is definitely not the worst connection one could make! To put it into perspective, a name I’m very keen on using is [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]. It has a very dark history, what with the [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] murderess, but despite that history, I still love the name. As soon as people are to know my daughter, if I name her [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], I hope that any association with the murderess will be immediately broken and they will think only of her! Of all the names you’re considering, this is the one I feel most strongly about. If you keep only one of these names, I believe it should be this one!

Farasha [name_u]Love[/name_u], people didn’t like this name because they haven’t heard it before! It’s an enchanting name, so soft, and beautiful meaning. [name_f]My[/name_f] adopted sister has a VERY similar name to this and although it can catch people off guard, her name is so special, as is [name_f]Farasha[/name_f]. I’m sure if you talk about this name more, people will slowly but surely fall in love with it. People were not keen on my Evaluna at first, but over time, as they began to understand my love for the name, it became a name many here on Nameberry greatly appreciate!

I don’t have too much to say about Nephele, just that I think it’s gorgeous! I’m surprised people don’t like it. Perhaps it’s a similar case, where people just are unfamiliar with the name, so they don’t think to give it a second look.

If you’re concerned about pronunciation for Nerine, keep it in the middle name spot! One of my middle names is an absolute mission and a half to pronounce but I just find it fun getting people to guess! I think [name_f]Nerine[/name_f] is a lovely way to honor these two women in your life. I instinctively would say Neh-REEN, but I could be very easily corrected and adapt to the other, as they both are reasonably intuitive.

Rosalind is stunning. I think the little snobby voice in our heads is one that impacts all name nerds at some point, but it’s so important that we don’t let it deter us! This name certainly is not too mainstream, and if popularity truly is a concern of you, I will let you know that [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] isn’t even the top 1000 currently, whereas there are multiple names on your ‘keep’ list that are! :wink: I think you may be distracted by the ‘[name_f]Rose[/name_f]’ sound, which does rank more highly - but this nickname is entirely avoidable. I know a [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] who never goes by [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], etc.

Soraya is a character in a book I love, The Kite Runner, so I’m partial. Unfortunately, I couldn’t tell you whether it would be wrong to use this name or not, but my instincts say no. People respectfully borrow/use names from all sorts of cultures, so I see no reason why this name would be any different. A little bit of research on this one should give you the answer you seek!

1 Like

I think the keepers are:

Circe
[name_f]Soraya[/name_f] - if you are ok that ppl will assume she is of Persian hertitage for the rest of her life (if you use it as a first)
[name_u]Vivendel[/name_u]

1 Like

Alice - I love [name_f]Alice[/name_f] but I definitely think the style is very different from the other names on your list. I could only see you using this as a middle, but I think it would make a lovely mn!
Aradia - Tbh I do stumble over this name a bit. It’s is a bit too similar to [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f] for me.
[name_f]Araluen[/name_f] - I think it is perfectly fine to use if it does not have deep cultural or religious meaning to the people. If it’s “just” a name, then I would not hesitate to use it! It is stunning. Maybe reach out to an Aboriginal community which is associated to the name?
[name_f]Asherah[/name_f] - I think this name is stunning but not usable for you. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if your family never make your child feel bad about her name, I could imagine you feeling anxious about it every time you introduced her to a relative or person in your family’s community. And I do feel it would be shortened down to [name_u]Ash[/name_u] by some well-meaning middle schoolers.
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] - I adore [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] so much! I love the Arthurian connection, sound, imagery, and look of the name. I think it is elegant and magical. However, I don’t think you should add any name to your shortlist that you’re hesitant about, just because it will get too long. If when your daughter is born she looks and feels like an [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], it is not like you can’t bring it back from the discarded names and use it.
[name_f]Circe[/name_f] - I adore [name_f]Circe[/name_f] as well but think it will be associated [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] for the next few years. But as GoT gets less relevant, I doubt anyone will make the connection. Also, a child can make the name their own so that it just seems uniquely theirs.
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - I think of the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] character first, definitely! But if your daughter will grow up with your friend’s [name_u]Corrie[/name_u], two [name_m]Cor[/name_m]- names will be too much, imo.
[name_f]Farasha[/name_f] - I think the name is pretty, I’m just not woved by it. I also would expect a [name_f]Farasha[/name_f] to be of Arabic heritage as the name is just tied to the area for me.
[name_f]Forsythia[/name_f] - I am not personally a fan of the name, but if the meaning bothers you then you can always view the name as a feminisation of [name_m]Forsyth[/name_m].
Innana - See my comment on [name_f]Asherah[/name_f].
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - If it doesn’t feel right, even if you can’t explain it, it is not the name. You can always keep it in the back of your mind and see if your feelings change, perhaps if your child feels like an [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] it will seem just right!
[name_f]Ishtar[/name_f] - See [name_f]Asherah[/name_f] :heart:
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - I feel [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is definitely getting a bit bland and less associated with the magical, wild nature feel it used to have. But as a middle it would be lovely!
[name_f]Laverna[/name_f] - I simply think any names you don’t love and/or have that strong concerns about should not be on the short-list.
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] - I personally don’t care for [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], but it does feel slightly witchy to me. However, there are many of your names that I love more.
Lirael - Lirael is beautiful, but I can’t see you going with a name that you don’t like the meaning of.
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] - I personally feel [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] has plenty of shine and character. It is more familiar than many of your names, but to me has that magical vibe of your other names. I love the meaning, sound, and imagery. But, ask yourself when you look over your list, does [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] call to you? If not, then I think you should let it go and stick with the names that bring a stronger reaction.
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - I definitely love the idea of this name more than the sound and look! And personally that would make me not want to use it in reality. But maybe as a middle to honour T?
[name_f]Nephele[/name_f] - I love this name! To me the pronunciation is intuitive, but is could see people stumbling over it. However, once people are corrected once, they surely will remember!
[name_f]Nerine[/name_f] - I say Neh-Reen which I personally don’t like, sorry
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] feels a bit like a GP to me by now because it’s used by so many companies. But I definitely associate it with the original myth before anything else and much more than anything else.
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - I think in a Nameberry sphere, [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] can be a bit normal and universal. However, out in “the real world”, that is not the case! [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is still unexpected and stunning. It definitely seems witchy and etherial to me.
[name_u]Rune[/name_u] - I think you should keep it on a seperate list of middle only names and not think about it any more. If you keep it out of your mind for a bit, maybe you will feel more strongly either way in a while.
[name_f]Serafina[/name_f] - I do think it’s a bit too similar to S’s name with the first two syllables. And since you are not sure what you associate the name with, I would move on to names you feel more certain of.
Sinfai - I love the idea of this name, but I dislike the “Sin” part and it just doesn’t sound like a “name” to me but almost like a gang or organisation, sorry!
[name_f]Soraya[/name_f] - I am unsure about the signifance of the name, but the comment I have about [name_f]Araluen[/name_f] stands.
[name_u]Starling[/name_u] - As a middle only, it is okay if you only love it in combos! It’s not supposed to be striking on it’s own but as part of a whole.
[name_f]Titania[/name_f] - I think tie-TAY-nee-ah is more common. I like the name, but I could see the first three letters being a bit problematic in secondary school. But bullies will honestly find something for everyone, so that shouldn’t stop you if it feels right.
[name_u]Vivendel[/name_u] - I cannot tell you how much this name has blown me off my feet since seeing it on your list! It’s 100% biased but I think you should keep it.
[name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] - I like [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] but it feels a bit heavy to me where many of your other names feel light, airy, and etherial. I like the nn potential though.

1 Like

Alice is sweet but feels a bit safe compared to your other choices

Aradia feels distinctive and not too similar to radio etc. I think [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f] is unique enough that the two wouldn’t get confused

Araluen - I’d probably avoid since it belongs to a marginalised community

Asherah is lovely but I’d probably avoid it for those connotations

Avalon is mystical and lovely but I’d probably pass on it if it’s not giving you a spark

Circe reminds me of the witch, but then I have just read [name_f]Circe[/name_f] by [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] [name_u]Miller[/name_u]

Cordelia is wonderful - I think [name_u]Corrie[/name_u] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] are distinct enough

Farasha just feels a little rough to me

Forsythia feels a bit harsh and hard to wear

Inanna is gorgeous but again, I’d probably avoid if it might cause arguments/controversy

Isadora is beautiful but if you’re not feeling it, I’d strike it off considering you already have a substantial list

Ishtar - again, I’d cut it if it might cause controversy

Ivy is very popular where I am so it does lack some of the spark of your other names

Laverna is nice but if you don’t love the sound or feel, I’d cut it

Lavinia is light and elegant and I really enjoy it, but again, if you’re not feeling wholly connected to it, I’d cut it

Lirael feels a bit awkward to me, sorry

Lucia is lovely but it does feel a bit tame and close to family members

Minerva is wise and lovely but if you’re not wholly loving it, I’d cut it

Nephele is gorgeous -I really enjoy it. I’d pronounce it as you do

Nerine is lovely- I’d pronounce it neh-reen

Pandora is gorgeous and I think it could stand alone from those connotations

Rosalind isnt too mainstream at all! Quite distinct

Rune feels likea solid middle name choice

Serafina is bright and elegant! Though i would think [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] was a nod to [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], not sure if you want that

Sinfai is intriguing but I’m not sure I like it

Soraya feels well enough in use that it doesn’t feel like cultural appropriation. It’s a gorgeous name (though i may be a bit biased as my favourite name is [name_f]Sarai[/name_f] :grin:)

Starling is sweet but if you’re not enchanted, I’d strike it

Titania - I think it would be hard to wear as a teen because of that first syllable

Vivendal is super interesting. I’d keep it as a middle for now

Yvaine is one I find slightly too harsh, sorry

1 Like

The answer to a lot of the questions you have is no: no, if you don’t actually like the name, you just like the idea of it, or you want to like it, then in my mind, you don’t actually like it. [name_u]Or[/name_u] you do like it, but you’ll channel that energy into making sure everyone else names their kid that.

Names in this category to say goodbye to:
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Laverna[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_u]Starling[/name_u]
[name_u]Rune[/name_u]

It felt like there were more, so any others you feel this way about, pretend I wrote them here.

The one I did not put on that list is [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] because to me it sounds like a favorite if not THE favorite of S and T, is this true? If it’s something you feel like you’re dragging from list to list but never going to use, then drop it, because the point of the list is to come up with something you’ll use. On the other hand, if it makes the last list, expect them to pick it as one of the 3 names, because of how much they like it, seeing it on the list will remind them. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like it as a middle? [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] [name_u]Alder[/name_u] [name_f]Isadora[/name_f].

Onto [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. To be honest, names like [name_f]Alice[/name_f] or [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] take me by surprise a bit when I see them on your list, not because they aren’t lovely, but because I see them on other lists that are looking for something very different than you are. It doesn’t mean the same name couldn’t achieve both goals though. I don’t think [name_f]Alice[/name_f] to [name_f]Ally[/name_f] is inevitable, but I do think it’s a possibility. It’s been on your list so long, maybe you need a break from it. Take it off the list, and if you miss it, add it back. You make the rules here after all.

I said before I don’t associate [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] with [name_f]Buffy[/name_f], but if someone made the connection I would be like oh yeah! [name_u]True[/name_u]. Tbh I actually associate [name_u]Willow[/name_u] more with [name_f]Buffy[/name_f], like a lot more! Is that just me? I feel like the [name_m]Cor[/name_m]- name thing is no big deal at all. There are only so many sounds out there, and some repeat.

I don’t know anything about [name_f]Farasha[/name_f], so I don’t have much feedback, but it does sound nice. With the Arabic names I wouldn’t feel comfortable telling you definitively to use it as its not part of my culture so no way to tell if it’s appropriative (based on other comments you’ve made, I believe it’s not in your culture either or S or T’s, but if I’m wrong, then go for it, 100%)

I would say Neh-Reen for [name_f]Nerine[/name_f]. That’s a great way to honor the [name_f]Lily[/name_f] squad.

For [name_f]Serafina[/name_f], its so pretty :heart_eyes: but with 4 syllable names, there’s going to be a time in her life someone wants to shorten it. It’s inevitable. So what would they shorten it to, you know? That’s where I think the confusion might occur.

Soraya is so lovely, and maybe my favorite from this list, but again I’m not the right person to know if it’s appropriative (and really, if one person of a background thinks using that name is appropriative and 10 say it’s not, I’d err on the side of the one no, because your kid might bump into that one person or someone who feels the same way, but there’s nothing they can do at that point if it’s making someone uncomfortable, and if y’all are white especially, saying “my parents liked it” wouldn’t go over well)

I actually don’t care for [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]! Not my preference.

1 Like

Ok, I’m gonna list them below in order from my most personal favourite to least favourite to try and make an easier breakdown for you! For the record though, all of these names are beautiful and well thought through!:

1. Cordelia - GORGEOUS. [name_u]Love[/name_u] this name so much for all the reasons you do, and I don’t think it’s too similar to any other [name_m]Cor[/name_m]- name to be an issue. I automatically went to the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] association, but I guess that’ll vary from person to person, but that’s not really a big issue :slight_smile:

2. Isadora - I love [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], it’s my favourite of all the ‘[name_u]Isa[/name_u]-’ names, and I love [name_f]Dora[/name_f] as well. I think if it has a connection to everyone involved then it should definitely be in the running, but don’t let the connections be the driving factor to ignore the other names you like!

3. Ivy - Again, I love [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], despite its popularity. I think it’s so sweet, and matches your nature-y witch-y theme a little less obviously. I love the V sound. I think it’s the perfect blend of matching your theme but still familiar to everyone

4. Araluen - I LOVE this name! I think it’s so beautiful and I feel like you’re the only person I’ve seen recognise it too! However, I understand your concern about cultural sensitivity, and unfortunately as an [name_f]English[/name_f] person I’m not the right person to ask. I will say that there are probably much worse names you could choose that definitely would be cultural appropriation though

5. Alice - [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is a classic staple. While it does seem ‘plainer’ in comparison to your other names, it’s always going to fit, especially if you use it in the middle to balance out a more unique first

6. Rune - I love this one too! I think it goes with your style perfectly and has a pretty sound BUT I think this is better in the middle than a first. That may just be my love of one syllable middles talking though

7. Aradia - For me, this is a pronunciation issue. When I first read it I thought it was AH-RAY-DEE-UH, but most places I’ve looked it says it’s pronounced AH-RAHR-DEE-UH. If it’s AH-RAY-DEE-UH I love it, if it’s AH-RAHR-DEE-UH, idk it just doesn’t flow right to me

8. Vivendel - I’m a sucker for V sounds, so I love this! I love the nature and magical connections you mention. While it do prefer [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] (which I usually don’t), I think [name_u]Vivendel[/name_u] beautiful, and would make a great first or middle!

9. Nephele - I love [name_f]Nephele[/name_f] too! [name_m]Feel[/name_m] like it hardly gets noticed on here :joy: I would say it as NEFF-EH-LEE too. It’s very playful sounding - maybe because it sounds like Nymph? There would probably be pronunciation issues, I think that’d be the only problem

10. Lucia - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it! Familiar yet still different. I would say it’s tamer, but not noticeably so, it still fits in with all your other choices. If you’re close with said cousin and [name_f]Luciana[/name_f] then I would say it might be a little too similar to use, but if not then it shouldn’t be an issue

11. Lavinia - I definitely think soundwise it goes with the rest of your names, but I agree it’s not got that spark that other names have in comparison. It also sounds a little dated to me.

12. Circe - Pretty! I do think you’ll have the Game of Thrones association with parents unfortunately, BUT I doubt any kids would know about that (at least I hope not!). Saying that, I do prefer the [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] spelling tbh

13. Rosalind - I like it, but it is one of my lesser favourite ‘[name_f]Rose[/name_f]/Rosa-’ names. I think the ‘-lind’ sound is a little odd but I think it works in favour of your witchy style. It is one of the more ‘normal’ ones on your list, but that’s not a bad thing! It’s witchy but not in an obvious way :slight_smile:

14. Serafina - I’ve personally never understood this name, but I can definitely see the appeal and why you would like it judging by your choices. The association is clearly special to you, but I don’t know if anyone else will make those associations (I personally didn’t). I don’t think it’s too similar to S’s name though, and if you really love it, it could easily work.

15. Starling - It’s pretty but very on the nose! ‘[name_f]Star[/name_f]’ would be a sweet nickname, but I feel like the ‘-ing’ sound just makes it sound like a regular word (and could potentially be half rhymed with any word ending in ‘ing’, which may not bode well)

16. Avalon - I love this name in theory. It ticks all the right boxes soundwise and is familiar in some way to a lot of people, but I feel like when I think hard enough it just sounds like a brand name

17. Pandora - [name_u]Love[/name_u] the sounds, especially ‘[name_f]Dora[/name_f]’, and that it’s familiar, but I think [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]’s box is one of the few Greek myths most people are familiar with, and there could be teasing from that. I think the jewelry brand is the next association, but I don’t think this, or anything else, is either positive or negative, it’s just a lot.

18. Inanna - I’m not religious, so I had no idea about the meaning and just think this name is pretty but not as special as some others! If you feel your family will react negatively, beyond a little disappointment at first, and that she’ll be subject to commentary all her life, then I’d avoid it. Otherwise though, I like it!

19. Laverna - I feel the same as you. A name I should love in theory, but there’s just something about it that’s not quite right. I feel people are more familiar with [name_f]Laverne[/name_f], and so [name_f]Laverna[/name_f] just sounds like a different version of that, which is probably not what you want based on its cool meaning.

20. Lirael - I haven’t read the book series so had never seen this name before, but when finding the pronunciation it was a little too much for me, but this may be because of my [name_f]English[/name_f] accent idk. It looks very pretty on paper! If the meaning makes you a little uncomfortable then maybe that is enough to knock it off the list.

21. Asherah - I like the sound more than the spelling, but I do agree that it would most likely be shortened to [name_u]Ash[/name_u] and get lost in the sea of [name_u]Ash[/name_u]’s (that sounded darker than intended lol) I feel the origin won’t be a problem, I think the problem will be that people will assume that this is your kre8ive take on any [name_u]Ash[/name_u] name

22. Soraya - It’s very pretty and sunny sounding (idk how else to describe it!) and the meaning is super sweet, but it is obviously not a Western choice and I guess that would confuse people. There is a slight concern for cultural appropriation here in the same vein as [name_f]Araluen[/name_f], it’s not obvious but as an [name_f]English[/name_f] person I’m not the right person to ask

23. Minerva - I want to like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], but I always hear ‘nerve’, like ‘you gets on my nerves’. I agree the goddess association is sweet, but the name itself doesn’t compare to the meaning. Would also have the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] association (McGonagall’s first name) but if that’s the witch association your going for then great! Nickname [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] is cute

24. Nerine - like the meaning, the flower and the connections you have to it, but I don’t like the sound much with either pronunciation. [name_f]My[/name_f] instinct is that it’s pronounced ‘NEH-REEN’, and I guess I just put it with names like [name_f]Noreen[/name_f] and [name_f]Doreen[/name_f] which feel a little dated to me

25. Titania - I can’t get past the fact it says tit! :joy: I know I know, childish, but something that could be easily teased as a teenager - [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f] is better in that sense, but if this spelling is preferred I’d say no. I’d pronounce it TIH-TAHN-YA instinctively, but can see people saying it like [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f] anyway

26. Yvaine - all I hear is ‘ya vain’ said really fast :joy: shame because the meaning is so pretty, I was kinda heartbroken reading the meaning to the name. Nickname [name_f]Evie[/name_f] is sweet but I don’t know if I can get past basically calling your child vain every time you say their name

27. Farasha - I’m not sure what it is that I don’t like about it. The butterfly meaning is pretty! Maybe because I’m not big on ‘ash’ sounds? I just don’t think it compares much to your other choices really

28. Forsythia - I just see this as a feminisation of [name_m]Forsyth[/name_m], which in itself I’m not a fan of, and I’m not sure about the sound of it either

29. Ishtar - Again, not big on ‘ish’ sounds either. I feel this is the most unisex name you have (which isn’t a bad thing!) but definitely contrasts a lot of previous choices. Again, had no idea of meaning, but it doesn’t help.

30. Sinfai - I do just kinda see ‘sin’ with fai on the end unfortunately, which is a shame because it has a pretty meaning, but I do much prefer [name_f]Cynthia[/name_f]. Unless Romani is a language that you have a connection with I would say no to this one.

PHEW! I wanted to talk about every name but didn’t realise how much I had to say! Sorry it’s so long but hope it helps!

1 Like

What a lovely list!!! You’ve clearly put so much thought into the names you’ve chosen so far, so regardless I’m sure your child will have a wonderful name :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Alice — Though this is one of my favorite names, I do agree it sticks out amongst the rest of your list. I would also group [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] into this category, BUT I do think that they could be lovely alongside a more flowery/elaborate middle.

Aradia— Honestly this might seem like a misspelling or a made-up name to people without an interest in paganism, but it’s so so pretty. And “mother of all witches” is an awesome connection to have!!!

Araluen — I’m not one to speak on appropriation as I’m not aboriginal, but if you’re worried about it at all (especially if you’re in Australia) it might be best to pass on it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] for the sake of your and the child’s ease.

Asherah — This is such a beautiful name with great meaning but I can absolutely see why you would be concerned. I’d say that since you have so many other great names, it’s save to move on from this one.

Avalon — [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] is GORGEOUS and has a mythology behind it that is very easily recognizable. Its easily sounded out and spelled and is just a beautiful name is general with power connections to Arthurian legend.

Circe — Perhaps you could save this for the middle spot if you’re concerned about [name_f]Cersei[/name_f]? But in general if you have plenty names you love more, may as well take this one of the list.

Cordelia — So romantic! I’ve never seen [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] nor heard of the character, so I would not think of her first. Again, if there’s any concern about matching with a close friend then perhaps pass? But if you really love it then you should still use it!

Farasha — This is stunning. I might put it on my own list, actually! But it seems you really value meaning and connection, so do you think it’s likely this would make the final cut? If not, then probably cross it off now.

Forsythia — [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]!!! And if you really love the sounds then perhaps as a middle? But again, it seems meaning is very important to you, so do you really see it as part of her name?

Inanna — So pretty, but I agree that if you can possibly avoid conflict for your child, you should, especially since you have so many other amazing names!

Isadora — If it doesn’t feel right, it doesn’t feel right, but perhaps once you narrow down the list more seeing [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] paired with other names might make you be able to see it more clearly! I would hold onto her a bit longer.

Ishtar — Same thing as [name_f]Inanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Asherah[/name_f]. Best just to take them off the list now, as beautiful as they are.

Ivy — I think [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] works best as a second middle as I mentioned with [name_f]Alice[/name_f], but again it might not be as powerful as some of your other names, especially since you have a jam-packed keeper list already.

Laverna — This is beautiful, but if you’re going to be reminded of [name_f]Laverne[/name_f] and [name_f]Shirley[/name_f] when you think of it… probably a no. Think of your own associations first.

Lavinia — [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] is gorgeous, but if you have lots of other names that feel more meaningful than maybe it’s good to let this one go. That being said, if you really love it then there’s no reason not to keep it on your list!!! It definitely sounds witchy.

Lirael — Honestly seems like there are more cons than pros here. Meaning seems to matter a lot to you, so “god is my song/joy” being mixed in with other more pagan names might not feel right to you down the road.

Lucia — I think this one should go too. More cons than pros though it is a beautiful name. Perhaps as a second middle? But I think it’s safe to cross this one off.

Minerva — I think it’s a very sweet honor, but if you don’t love it than that kind of defeats the point. You should totally love your honor name!!! Maybe keep this one a little longer to test it out in combos, but otherwise I think you should pass.

Nephele — I like it a lot!!! Sounds like nephilim to me though, which feels distinctly Judeo-[name_u]Christian[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] automatic assumption would be NEFF-eh-lee, so perhaps best in the middle spot? I think it’s lovely though!

Nerine — Neh-REEN was my instinct with this. Nice honor!

Pandora — What do YOU think of first? The child would definitely get comments if it’s in the FN position, but I think it has a similar vibe to a lot of your favorites and fits in easily with them.

Rosalind — I think it totally sounds witchy! Very cottagecore and mystical. I love it, one of my favorite names.

Rune — I’d say keep it around and fiddle with combos with some of your favorites.

Serafina — I honestly do think this is too similar to [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] because it’s likely her name will get shortened to [name_f]Sera[/name_f] by friends and teachers if she goes into traditional schooling.

Sinfai — I think this is really cool and has awesome meaning! Probably best as a middle though.

Soraya — Again, might just be best to pass on this to avoid any conflict. But perhaps if you really love it, you could use it as a middle?

Starling — Keep it for now. If it works well in your combos then see how you feel about it once you’ve narrowed the list down further.

Titania — I would say tie-TAY-nee-ah and think this is stunning.

Vivendel — I think hold onto it and see how you feel with a shorter list to work with.

Yvaine— I LOVE YVAINE!!! So underrated. There is definitely something to be said about the “vain” portion of the name, but the Yv- beginning is so darling and I really love it. Feels very YOU as well.

1 Like

I actually personally really like a lot of these names, but I’m trying to leave that out of it and look at your personal situation and how usable these names are or are not for YOU guys.

• Alice: I feel like if you’re using it as a middle and one of your partners really loves this name, you should continuing considering it as an option even if it’s not your own favorite, personally.
  • Aradia: I do think that since this is really similar to a lot of more common/familiar names and words in general, it doesn’t really read to me as a name?
  • Araluen: I do think this would be somewhat appropriative, especially if you have no connection to the place, and I would cut it from your list if I were you. It is gorgeous, though, I can see the appeal.
  • Asherah: this is honestly such a beautiful name! I’m not familiar with it and it wasn’t one of my favorites when I first read through your list in the earlier threads, but now that I’ve seen it twice I think it’s truly lovely. I think whether you find this usable depends on the involvement that you want your conservative [name_u]Christian[/name_u] relatives to have in your life and the willingness you are to deal with pushback here. Same goes for [name_f]Inanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Ishtar[/name_f], although I find the sound of those names less appealing personally.
  • Avalon: I personally love the sound, the imagery, and the connections of this name! It’s one of my favorites on your list! If you find it doesn’t continue to sparkle to you, by all means cut it, but I am gonna put in a strong personal vote in favor of it.
  • Circe: I do think of [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister, but I don’t think that makes it unusable because the spelling is different and by the time your child is in school, Game of Thrones may not be as much of an immediate cultural reference.
  • Cordelia: I’ve never seen [name_f]Buffy[/name_f], and my first association is actually [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] Goode from American Horror [name_u]Story[/name_u], who I think is a positive association (and a witch!) but I don’t know how you feel about the show from your own personal perspective, I don’t really know any people who identify as witches so I don’t know if people have positive feelings towards the depiction of the coven in AHS or not. I think she’s a cool character, though! After that [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], my next association is [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Lear[/name_m]. If you’re not planning on calling your [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_u]Corrie[/name_u]/Corie/Cori, I think you’re good re: the family friend’s child.
  • Farasha: I don’t dislike this name, but in general I’m less likely to root for names I’ve never heard of before unless the sound is really breathtaking to me or the person suggesting it has a really compelling personal meaning they describe. For me, even on the second time I’ve seen it, it just doesn’t jump out to me, I guess?
  • Forsythia: I love the flower/bush, so I love the imagery, but I actually don’t love the sound? Idk why, it just sounds sort of awkward to me.
  • Isadora: I think you should keep this around and not veto it outright, since your partners love it, but maybe bring up that you don’t feel as connected/passionate about it as some of your other choices.
  • Ivy: I personally think this is a lovely name and increasingly popular for a reason, but it does feel a bit out of sync with your other more esoteric choices (especially if you’re planning on having multiple kids! It’s hard to imagine [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] as a sister to some of these other names) and it is quite trendy. Maybe keep as a middle option?
  • Laverna: I just keep seeing [name_f]Laverne[/name_f] which feels so old-ladyish to me. If you like the meaning but not the look and sound, I think you should scrap it. You’ll have to see and hear it every day and if you don’t like those aspects, a beautiful meaning won’t improve them much.
  • Lavinia: I actually like [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] and I think it would go well with your other names, but again if you yourself don’t like it as much, maybe cut it?
  • Lirael: I think this is a really gorgeous name, but I would be reluctant about using an invented name from a book series as well. The Hebrew meaning doesn’t bother me but it sounds like it bothers you.
  • Lucia: I don’t think of this as a [name_u]Christian[/name_u] name, but it does seem more mainstream than your general style. I think it would depend on how often you see [name_f]Luciana[/name_f].
  • Minerva: if you like the idea more than the reality, scrap it.
  • Nephele: I think it’s pronounced Neff-eh-lee too, and it’s pretty, but I don’t like the look of it much and I do think it might be often mispronounced.
  • Nerine: I actually think this is really pretty! I’ve been pronouncing it neh-REEN which I very much like, not as keen on the three-syllable pronunciation. IDK which is “correct” or which you prefer.
  • Pandora: I don’t think of the jewelry or the streaming service per se, but I don’t find the myth a super positive association I guess?
  • Rosalind: I love [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]! I think it’s approachable and a little less dramatic than some of your other choices, but it definitely isn’t too mainstream, I’ve never met a [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f].
  • Rune: I like [name_u]Rune[/name_u] as a middle choice! Maybe hold onto it and see if it regains its spark!
  • Serafina: I love this name and I think it’s gorgeous, but if one of your partners’ name is [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] I do think that’s unfortunately way too close.
  • Sinfai: I think this is pretty, but I’m not sure I would use it if I didn’t have any Romani background/connections.
  • Soraya: I think this is gorgeous! Unlike some of your other names, I don’t see this one as particularly appropriative, because [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] is actually used across Europe and Latin [name_u]America[/name_u] in addition to in Iran, while the others, while beautiful, are more obscure and seem more culturally specific.
  • Starling: I think keep as a middle and see if it shines for you again!
  • Titania: I think the first syllable could prove problematic, unfortunately. I teach ninth grade and I think the middle school set would have a field day with this one. I say it as Tie-TAN-ee-yuh, but more similar to the second pronunciation you have.
  • Vivendel: I think this is pretty, but it doesn’t seem super name-y to me.
  • Yvaine: This is actually one of my favorites from your list, so I’ll make a case. [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] seems so magical to me, yet also incredibly wearable. It makes me think of moonlight, starlight, and the purplish-black color of the night sky. I love the unusualness of the Y-v combination, and the open, soft vowel sound of the -ai. It’s graceful and elegant, soft yet bold!

I feel a bit bad because I feel like I scrapped most of these names, even some I think are genuinely very lovely, because they just seemed like you weren’t in love with them or they weren’t suitable for you somehow. Since you want to narrow your list down, though, hopefully it will help!

1 Like

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]: Is it too plain?
It definitely feels different to me compared to the rest of your list, but I don’t think I would call it plain? It’s lovely, and I think it would actually be a nice “balance” to some of the more special, lesser heard names you’ve picked

Aradia: Is it too similar to radio etc, does it look like a misspelling of [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f]?
Weirdly enough, it reminds me not of [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f] or Radio, but of eradication! Maybe I’m just pronouncing Aradia wrong though. I quite like the meaning of this though, and how important it is to your religion.

[name_f]Araluen[/name_f]: Is is culturally appropriative?
Yes, I would not use it if you are not Aboriginal.

[name_f]Asherah[/name_f]: The Christianity issue + the [name_u]Ash[/name_u]… issue?
In terms of the Christianity issue, to me the issue here is not the name but the way your relatives would approach it. If they are telling your child they have a demonic, evil name, I personally would not want them near your child. Additionally, I can only hope that once the name is on a child that they should love and care for, they would not be so negative regarding it.

In terms of the [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Asher[/name_u], etc issue, it might get shortened to [name_u]Ash[/name_u], but if you or your child don’t want that, it’s pretty easy to correct people and they’ll remember not to do so. And while there are a lot of [name_u]Ash[/name_u]- names out there now, it just means people like those names! [name_f]Asherah[/name_f] stands out to me from the rest of the [name_u]Ash[/name_u]- names too, so maybe others will have the same impression of it being different in a good way!!

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]:
I don’t have any particularly strong opinions on this, but I do think it’s a very pretty name and I like the Arthurian connections!

[name_f]Circe[/name_f]: Is it too close to [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister?
I only noticed this connection now! I think that to me, [name_f]Circe[/name_f] is an obviously different name to [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] when written, but I can see how if it were only said aloud, one could think it was [name_f]Cersei[/name_f]. I think this really depends on how many people you know who would assume it was [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] vs [name_f]Circe[/name_f].

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]: Is it too close to another [name_m]Cor[/name_m]- name? What connection do you make?
I don’t think it’s too close to another [name_m]Cor[/name_m]- name, even if you’d be seeing the family a lot. When I was a kid, everyone I knew with similar sounding names thought it was really cool and they liked having that extra connection to their friends!

I immediately think of [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] from [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Lear[/name_m]!

[name_f]Farasha[/name_f]: Why do I not like it?
I don’t dislike it, but I also don’t like it? It’s fairly neutral to me.

[name_f]Forsythia[/name_f]: Meaning issues
So yes, [name_f]Forsythia[/name_f]'s meaning is named after [name_m]Forsyth[/name_m], a botanist who discovered Forsythias, but I think the main “meaning” of [name_f]Forsythia[/name_f] now is the beautiful flower! To me, that gorgeous flower is not bland at all, and I really quite like the additional meaning of “man of peace” from [name_m]Forsyth[/name_m]! I also completely agree that it’s a beautiful name both in sound and look.

[name_f]Inanna[/name_f]: Relative issue again
This comes back to my original point about your relatives: no matter one’s religious beliefs, it is entirely inappropriate to chastise, proselytize, and offer general negative opinions on a child’s name (or anyone’s name, for that matter), and while I know that family situations are difficult, and case by case, I simply would not want them near a child if they were going to act that way. Religious differences are something that exists in our world, and this is genuinely an issue that they have to deal with, not you.

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]: Veto power?
This is a difficult one! I think it comes down to what you and your partners feel is fair in naming.

[name_f]Ishtar[/name_f]: Same answer as [name_f]Inanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Asherah[/name_f]

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]: Trendy vs ethereal?
I agree that [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is much more of a common, trendy, hippy name than all of the others on your list, but I think that out of the common, trendy, hippy names, [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is hands down the most magical, unexpected, earthy, and beautiful (I may be slightly biased as I love this name). I also think that compared to [name_u]Piper[/name_u] and [name_u]Scout[/name_u], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is much less trendy. It seems to hold a ton of significant connections for you, and I also think that it would be lovely paired with two of your more unique middles, both to make [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] fit your usual style more, and to give a more common option to your child if that’s something they end up wanting.

[name_f]Laverna[/name_f]: Keep or leave?
If you’re struggling with liking it, I would not keep it just for its meaning.

[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]:
She sounds very witchy to me! [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] brings me images of an old Victorian mansion, a cloudy sky, and great beauty. I really love this name, it’s very underappreciated.

Lirael:
I think if you’ve been struggling with letting it go, that answers the question.

[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]:
I don’t necessarily think it seems to [name_u]Christian[/name_u], but it does seem ~not as witchy and magical as the others on your list~. [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] and [name_f]Luciana[/name_f] are pretty similar, but my point about [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] still stands. And if this name is starting to lose its shine for you, then maybe it should go?

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]:
I would consider looking into other names with similar meanings? If it doesn’t seem right to you, then it won’t be right.

[name_f]Nephele[/name_f]:
This is another one like [name_f]Farasha[/name_f] where I feel ridiculously neutral on it. I would also say if NEFF-eh-lee, but my instinct is to say neff-EE-lee, which then has an awkward “feely” in it.

[name_f]Nerine[/name_f]:
I love the connections this name has for you!! I would say neh-REEN, but if that isn’t how it’s pronounced I think it would be pretty easy to correct people.

[name_f]Pandora[/name_f]:
I immediately think of the jewelry, then the myth. I think this would be pretty hard to make it sound like anything but a commodity as you said, which is unfortunate since it’s so beautiful.

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]:
It definitely isn’t normal normal, but I do think it isn’t as witchy as the rest of your names.

[name_u]Rune[/name_u]:
I like it as a middle! And again, if it doesn’t hold that spark anymore, maybe it’s time to let it go, or at least take a break from it and come back later.

[name_f]Serafina[/name_f]:
I didn’t see the [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] = [name_m]Seraphim[/name_m] connection until you pointed it out! I do think that S’s name and [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] would be very confusing in the same house though.

Sinfai:
I love the meaning! the Sin really stands out to me though, and I think it sounds and looks very similar to sinful, which isn’t really a nice sound for a name.

[name_f]Soraya[/name_f]:
Honestly, I have more cultural appropriation concerns with Araluen, [name_f]Farasha[/name_f], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], and the goddess names [name_f]Ishtar[/name_f], [name_f]Inanna[/name_f], and [name_f]Asherah[/name_f] (unless you’re a part of that religion) than [name_f]Soraya[/name_f]. I feel like [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] has become more popular recently? I can’t really speak on it myself as I’m not Iranian, but I feel like I’ve seen [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] on white babies before, which is definitely not something I’ve seen for any of the other names I mentioned.

[name_u]Starling[/name_u]:
If the spark isn’t there, maybe it will never be, but I do really like your idea of using it in combos and seeing what happens. You also have a few other names with this same problem, so maybe you could make a fall-back list of them, to look on if you’re stuck with combos or something? [name_m]Just[/name_m] a way to organise it where you can keep them in the back of your mind if you end up wanting them, but out of the way enough where it won’t cause any further grief over liking it or not liking it might be helpful!

[name_f]Titania[/name_f]:
I would say this tie-TAY-nya, and I didn’t see the teasing potential until you pointed it out! [name_m]Even[/name_m] when pronounced tih-TAWN-ya, the teasing word is sort of split up, so it isn’t very obvious. And the meaning is so lovely!

[name_u]Vivendel[/name_u]:
I love this name! I haven’t heard it before, but it’s jaw-droppingly beautiful. I would stick with the keep this in a maybe list and come back to it idea for it though, if you don’t know how you feel about it.

[name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]:
I love this name! I love the [name_u]French[/name_u] connection, the [name_f]Evie[/name_f] potential, the Arthurian connection, and that it holds significance for you. It’s pretty and strong all at once, and it has a certain air of sophistication.

1 Like

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - would make a beautiful mn for your little one, especially with one of your more outlandish first names to balance it out!

Aradia - I didn’t notice the radio connection until you mentioned it. It’s a really pretty name!

[name_f]Araluen[/name_f] - I can’t speak on it’s usability from a cultural perspective, but purely from a practical perspective, it seems difficult to spell and pronounce. Otherwise it’s very nice.

[name_f]Asherah[/name_f] - while the meaning and sound are gorgeous, I think I would stay away from it because of the issues it could cause. You have so many other gems on your list to pick from!

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] - I personally really like this name, but I think there are better names out there for you.

[name_f]Circe[/name_f] - I no nothing about GoT, so I didn’t know about that association. GoT is very popular right now, but that will fade with time.

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - I don’t think it’s too close! Also never seen [name_f]Buffy[/name_f], so I can’t speak on that.

[name_f]Farasha[/name_f] - I just think that [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] sounds prettier. I don’t really know why.

[name_f]Forsythia[/name_f] - gotta be honest, this sounds like a disease to me. Sorry!

[name_f]Inanna[/name_f] - I would scratch it since it will cause issues. I also think the N sounds are a bit repetitive.

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - this is a gorgeous name, but I can see why you aren’t as connected with it. I would hesitantly put it on the keeper list!

[name_f]Ishtar[/name_f] - see other responses.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - I never cared much for this name. I also like longer names for you!

[name_f]Laverna[/name_f] - this is a tough one. For me, the sound of a name trumps its meaning, so I would scratch it off the list.

[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] - I LOVE [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]! Probably one of my greatest GPs! It sounds so regal and ethereal to me, and just the way it rolls off the tounge! Ahhh I love it! I like it for you as well, but if it isn’t as special to you, that’s fine! (She doesn’t really give me witchy vibes.)

Lirael - I think the concerns outweigh the aesthetics.

[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] - feels very safe and “normal” compared to your other names.

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - it doesn’t seem like you are in love with it. Take it off the list for now, and if it keeps coming to mind you can always add it back.

[name_f]Nephele[/name_f] - I would have pronounced it neh-FEEL, but I like your pronunciation better! I think it sounds beautiful, but may be difficult to say and spell.

[name_f]Nerine[/name_f] - I would have guessed neh-REEN, but the pronunciation is pretty unclear. It also doesn’t sound as magical as most of your names.

[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - I can only think of the streaming service, so the name has never appealed to me.

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - I don’t hear this name very often, so I wouldn’t call it mainstream, but it isn’t very witchy.

[name_u]Rune[/name_u] - I would put this on your middle name list!

[name_f]Serafina[/name_f] - I would scratch it off because of its similarity to S, as well as the other reasons you mentioned.

Sinfai - I don’t care for it. It just doesn’t sound very appealing to me.

[name_f]Soraya[/name_f] - again, I can’t speak on the cultural aspect.

[name_u]Starling[/name_u] - feels a bit like an out-there hippy name to me.

[name_f]Titania[/name_f] - I would say tie-TAY-nee-ah. It’s too similar to the metal titanium for my liking.

[name_u]Vivendel[/name_u] - this is stunning! I would keep it around if I were you!

[name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] - again, huge Stardust fan, and huge fan of the name [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]! I really love it as a middle for you!

1 Like

@lavenderwitch this is what I was trying to get across in terms of the [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] associations, this kid’s future teachers and bosses will likely be in @katkabet’s generation and younger, so it really doesn’t seem like an association that would overshadow her in every introduction, even if it might for [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]’s who are closer to your age than the soon-to-be-baby’s.

3 Likes

I truly cannot thank you all enough for your detailed responses. I am once again blown away by all the time and energy you Berries have been willing to devote to helping my indecisive little self wade through all these options!!

After reading everyone’s feedback, the following names have been eliminated:

• Aradia - The associations with so many unpleasant words and the confusion about whether it’s a misspelled [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f] ultimately overshadow the witchiness of this name. I did not have a strong connection to it beyond that link.
  • Araluen - Discussed this one at length with T, and we decided that the risk of cultural appropriation was greater here than with some of the other names. I looked for some sort of forum where I could ask individuals of Aboriginal descent how they would feel about the idea, but was unable to find any, which only reinforced the sense that we’d be treading on a potentially closed culture. We don’t want to be those white people who name their kid [name_f]India[/name_f]. (Technically, T is more than 1/4 indigenous and I am nearly 1/4 myself, but that is in the US, not Australia, and we are both white-passing). It was very hard to let this one go, but I would rather say farewell now than discover once it’s too late that we crossed a line.
  • Asherah, [name_f]Inanna[/name_f], and [name_f]Ishtar[/name_f] - With all three of these names, ultimately the risk of terrible behavior from family members outweighed the beauty of the names themselves. We already have enough areas where our differing religious paradigms cause difficulty, and our child’s name should not become a battleground.
  • Farasha - I don’t love this name enough to fight for it. I think it’s beautiful, but ultimately I have deeper connections to others.
  • Forsythia - A non-[name_u]Berry[/name_u] pointed out to me that my descriptions of [name_f]Forsythia[/name_f] and [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f] are very parallel. Both are flowers, both named for the botanist who discovered them, and both are long and multi-syllabic. Yet one of these names I embrace enthusiastically, while the other has been dangling over the chopping block. They occupy exactly the same place on the list, stylistically speaking, but I have a clear preference for [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f]. I think this is what helped me finally let go.
  • Laverna - Someone made the point that I would be seeing and hearing this name every day, so in that sense the fact that I’m not sold on the look and sound would end up causing me name regret, even though the meaning is fantastic. This is a very valid point. Time to let go.
  • Lirael - Conversely, though I love the look and sound of this name, the meaning does bother me. I have other options that are not as problematic. I just have to remind myself: the point is to narrow things down.
  • Lucia - A non-[name_u]Berry[/name_u] actually asked the question that decided this one for me: “Didn’t you have [name_m]Lucian[/name_m] on your masc list at one point? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like that better than the femme version?” Why yes, yes I do.
  • Minerva - I like the idea of this name more than the reality. Also, many of the other goddess names on my list are minor goddesses or people who used to be goddesses but were veneered into saint or folk tale categories. Not so with [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. She’s a prominent figure in the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] pantheon. We don’t work with this pantheon, and a fellow pagan friend pointed out that I’ve gone out of my way to avoid naming my child after my own gods (otherwise [name_f]Skadi[/name_f] would SO be on the list), so naming them after a god I don’t even worship might be considered poor taste. That was the push I needed to axe this one for good.
  • Nephele - Ultimately, this came down to the fact that I love this name in theory, but in practice, I don’t think it’s for me. It’s pretty, but the connection is insubstantial, and not worth the pronunciation issues.
  • Nerine - The reason for eliminating this one is shallow, but inescapable: I really dislike the neh-REEN pronunciation. All I can think of is that it’s like [name_f]Irene[/name_f], with extra steps. No thank you.
  • Pandora - I couldn’t escape the commercialisation of this name. There are others that I love more without all the baggage. Again, telling myself the point is to narrow it down.
  • Serafina - I will always adore this name, but it is just too close to S to use as a first, and I just don’t have the same enthusiasm about using it as a middle.
  • Sinfai - This is one of those odd cases where the things I like about a name are also the things that ultimately made me cross it off. It’s a Romani variant; I’m not Romani. It’s extremely unusual; it’s so obscure people will probably think we made it up. It has that awesome Sin- syllable a la [name_m]Sinbad[/name_m] that makes me find it dashing and adventurous; if I nickname my kid Sin, our parents really will flip. Time to let go.
  • Vivendel - This one did not pass the “picture myself calling out the back door for a little ____ to come inside for dinner” test. A few people in previous lists suggested combos with [name_u]Vivendel[/name_u] in them, and none of those options sparked anything in me, so I don’t think keeping it as a middle is the solution either. I will take solace in the fact that several of you now have this name on your own lists, and remove it from mine.

These names have now been promoted to the Keepers list:

• Avalon - Not only do I love this as a first name, but in playing around with combo brainstorming, I got a happy zing every time I used it as a middle. At this point, I’m not even sure what was holding me back from this name in the first place, so I’m promoting it to Keeper status.
  • Circe - I love her too fiercely to let her go, [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister be damned. Maybe she’ll be voted down by T and S when it actually comes time to make a final decision, but I know in my heart that if I don’t take [name_f]Circe[/name_f] to the hospital with me, I will regret it.
  • Cordelia - After reading lot of the insightful comments about how the pop culture association is strictly generational, I feel more at ease with this name. It really is so lovely, and the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] connection will endure in a way that the others will not. I might encounter some hiccups in the nickname department, but, as we say in my house, “that’s a problem for future Catra and [name_f]Adora[/name_f].”
  • Isadora - T really likes this one, and my ears perked up when someone suggested just using [name_u]Isa[/name_u]. I think I want to take this one into the round where we experiment with combos and see how I feel about it mixed in amongst the others.
  • Lavinia - [name_f]Every[/name_f] time I try to strike this name from the list, something stops me. I can’t seem to let go of her. Stylistically, I feel like she inhabits a similar space as [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], names that feel vintage, almost anachronistic, with a pinch of Victorian gothic. I can imagine a mysterious woman in a rambling old Victorian house back in the woods, about whom the neighbors whisper that she’s a witch. Though I can’t find an overt connection, I keep coming back to that vibe, and it’s so compelling. I think I need to take her into the combo brainstorming portion and see how she fares.
  • Rosalind - While opinions on whether this name is “witchy enough” seem to be divided, one thing I’m hearing consistently is that Nameberry has artificially inflated my sense of how popular and common this name is. One comment said it is not even in the top 1000! I know that some of my favorites, like [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and even [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] are much higher. This soothed my inner name snob enough that I am able to tune her out and focus on how beautiful and magical [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is, so now I can add her to the Keeper list without reservation.
  • Soraya - When discussing cultural appropriation questions with T, we came down in a different place on this name than we did with [name_f]Araluen[/name_f]. Unlike [name_f]Araluen[/name_f], [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] has a long history of use in non-Persian countries, spreading through Turkey into [name_f]Russia[/name_f] and Europe. Though we know the name originated in a Persian language, every [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] we have ever met has been white and of European descent, and the Wikipedia list of famous people with this name includes Colombian, Japanese, and Filipino individuals, among others. It does not seem to be a name that is closely guarded by a closed culture. All this is a very long-winded way of saying I tried to be thorough about my research here and did not see any red flags, so I’m comfortable moving this one to the Keep list.
  • Titania - Ultimately, the magic of the fairy queen connection and the Shakespearean vibes were too captivating to pass up. As some have observed, this name has a strength and grandeur associated with it that I adore, softened as it is by the delicate dreaminess of A Midsummer [name_u]Night[/name_u]’s [name_u]Dream[/name_u]. I want to take it into the combos round and see how it fares there.

This round of edits leaves [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_u]Rune[/name_u], [name_u]Starling[/name_u], and [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] undecided. I feel like I just don’t have enough data to keep them or toss them, and I don’t want to keep dragging out the decision. I think I’m going to bring them into the combo round for now, and see how that goes. That makes 17 eliminated, 8 promoted to keepers, and only 5 remaining maybes.

Thank you once more, beloved Berries, for all your thoughtful feedback. [name_f]Every[/name_f] reply was so valuable, and so many of you took the time to give me in-depth analysis on each of these names. I would truly be lost without you!

5 Likes

I just wanted to say, this is one of my favorite names ever. I am 20 years old and currently studying to be a teacher. I don’t know of the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] association but I have watched [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] several times so it is definitely a big association. That said, I don’t hate the character and being connected to [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] actually makes me like the name more. I know of a few people in my generation who have seen the show but it isn’t one often brought up by others.

1 Like

Alice - I like [name_f]Alice[/name_f], but as an [name_m]Al[/name_m]-name person myself, I can say people constantly call me “[name_m]Al[/name_m]” or “[name_u]Allie[/name_u]” without asking, and it’s fine because I don’t mind, but you should be prepared for the possibility that [name_f]Alice[/name_f] may want to go by “[name_u]Ali[/name_u]” at some point, and that you would have to accept that if that’s what she wanted. If T loves it, I would definitely keep it as a middle name. Invokes [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland for me, which I think is a lovely connection.

Avalon - I love [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]. I’m not sure if I would be brave enough to use it myself, but I do think it’s a lovely name. Makes me think of like a castle - is there a game or a book called [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]? I think it’s feminine, but not girly or frilly. [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] could work well as a middle if it doesn’t feel just right for the first!

Circe - I don’t love it. I think of Circus first, but then I do think of the Game of Thrones character. It is a massively popular tv show, but it’s dying out and who knows if it will still be popular in 10 years. If you adore this name, but are worried about the association, put it in the middle.

Cordelia - I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and my first association is [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Lear[/name_m]. I never saw [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] the Vampire Slayer, and I think lots of today’s kids won’t. As for [name_u]Corrie[/name_u], would you call your daughter [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] or by another nickname? Other nicknames that could work would be [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Della[/name_f] or [name_f]Delia[/name_f].

Isadora - I don’t love [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], personally. I really don’t like [name_f]Dora[/name_f] names though, so that could be it for me. Again, if your heart doesn’t adore it, put it in the middle. The first name you pick should be one you ALL love, even if it’s less meaningful, since you’ll say it many many times every day. I think saving the more meaningful names for the middle is the way to go.

Ivy - I don’t mind [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], but it feels fairly plain next to some of the other names. It could work well in the middle if paired with some longer names.

Lavinia - Definitely sounds witchy, but I don’t personally like the sounds in it. I can’t quite put my finger on it, I just don’t really like it. This is maybe one of the most witchy names on your list.

Rosalind - I don’t think it’s too “normal”. In fact, amongst [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], I think it fits. How do you feel about the nickname [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f]? Because if it was me meeting a little [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], I would definitely be looking for a nickname. [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] sounds a bit serious, but I really like [name_f]Rosie[/name_f].

Rune - It’s just too close to ruin for me. Theres also a character from a book named [name_u]Rune[/name_u] who’s quite bad (can’t remember which book), but it really turned me off when I heard it.

Soraya - I knew a [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] in high school, and didn’t like her, so I believe that may have jaded the name for me a bit. I’m not sure about the cultural appropriation bit, but the [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] I knew was Iranian.

Starling - I love this for a middle name. I think it would elevate a less witchy name to a more witchy status, and I love celestial names. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_u]Starling[/name_u] I think is beautiful. Maybe [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_u]Starling[/name_u]?

Titania - I immediately thought of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] as well, and then the Titanic. I think there would potentially be weight based teasing (ie if she was a bigger kid), or maybe based off the first three letters (tit), which would sadly maybe be enough for me to remove it from the first names list. I would pronounce it tie-tay-nee-ah.

Yvaine - I don’t love this name, but I love [name_f]Evie[/name_f]. It sounds like you’re describing name fatigue, but it’s hard for me because I don’t love this name. [name_f]Evie[/name_f], on the other hand, I adore. I wonder what other names you have that lead to [name_f]Evie[/name_f]??

My top 3 choices: [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_u]Starling[/name_u].

1 Like

Oh my gosh these names are so gorgeous !!
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - I simply adore [name_f]Alice[/name_f] !
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] for its ties to Eastern [name_f]Canada[/name_f]
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]- I appreciate [name_f]Circe[/name_f] but my first thought was GoT and I have never even gotten through a full episode . I think it’s brave for my personal taste but like it for others.
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]- I am honestly obsessed with [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]! I adore all the nickname potential and think it’s so underrated
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]- I am digging [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] lately ! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the nickname possibilities and thing it is a great name to get the spunkier [name_u]Issy[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]- beautiful, simple , elegant and nature. Really a full package
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]- never been a fan
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]- GORGEOUS
[name_u]Rune[/name_u]- not my favourite
[name_f]Soraya[/name_f]- So unique and understated
[name_u]Starling[/name_u]- I prefer [name_u]Sterling[/name_u]

Alright my lovelies! Round Three has begun - and this is the fun part. Those of you who have been dying to dive in and create some delicious combos, now is your chance over on this thread: Round Three of the Monster List: It's Combo Time, Witches!. See you there!

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] is very pretty and simple and vinatge-y I think would make a nice middle to balance one of your more fabulous names.

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]- So I do really like the magical vibes for you but it just doesn’t grab me? I also unfortunately have Mists of [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] tainted because of the allegations of abuse against the author and her spouse

[name_f]Circe[/name_f]- so it isn’t my first association because I never watched it but I think it is in people’s minds and it does seem like your partners think that too- what do they think about it now? However, I think the association is fading as we get further from the show. It isn’t my fave but I do think that it makes sense for you!

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]- I actually think of [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of the [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables because it’s her imagination name! I think if she went by [name_u]Corrie[/name_u] too it might be too close but there’s “[name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Cordy[/name_f], [name_u]Cody[/name_u], [name_f]Delia[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f]”

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]- so this was a name my friend “made up” when we were playing pretend in her backyard so it feels a bit “silly” to me though i know now it’s a real name. It’s very pretty but if you don’t like you don’t like it!

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]- love this one! It is a bit more common than your other names but it gives me more old fashioned/vintagey vibes than [name_u]Piper[/name_u] or [name_u]Scout[/name_u].

[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]- I don’t know why maybe I read a book with this name in it, but it gives me vintage “mean girl” vibes.

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]- Classy, def Victorian and botanical;. It’s not as fantastical as you other names but it’s also not used very much. I can see her as the daughter of witches. Not to add more names but have you thought of [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] very herbal, botanical, and unique!

[name_u]Rune[/name_u]- I like it as a middle name it seems like it holds a lot of meaning. maybe put it to the side and come back or try it out in some combos?

[name_f]Soraya[/name_f]- This is very lovely name it gives me a very warm feeling like sitting in the sun but I can’t say if it would be considered cultural appropriation or not.

[name_u]Starling[/name_u]- This is so lovely and light makes me think of flight and also “sterling” which is silvery.

[name_f]Titania[/name_f]- I have only heard Tie-TAY-nee-ah and I think it’s a very easy correction. [name_f]My[/name_f] own name has 3 “correct” pronunciations and it’s any easy fix most of the time. This is very regal and magical.

[name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]- This definitely gives me a “witchy” vibe but it isn’t my favorite. No particular reason its just not the sound I like.

1 Like

I absolutely love these names:

Asherah
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Farasha[/name_f]
[name_f]Laverna[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Nephele[/name_f]
[name_f]Nerine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Serafina[/name_f]