Names for a Desert Mystic {moodboard}

I’m back, witches, with another LavenderWitch aesthetic! Apologies for the unplanned hiatus; the holidays completely consumed me for a couple of months.

Recap

I was having a really difficult time with my name lists in the wake of naming my first child, until I was inspired by a series of aesthetic posts and moodboard threads to think about my names in a new way. I have a touch of synesthesia, so there are always colors and imagery associated with my favorite names. I switched from trying to organize my existing lists to gathering new lists of names, grouped together by the overall aesthetic I was looking for. This approach totally worked, and for the first time ever, I actually finished a top ten list!

My original goal was to do ten masc and ten femme moodboards to collect names and create a final combo for each aesthetic. I finished all the masc boards - though I ended up with more than ten combos - and this will be my tenth femme moodboard! I have one last bonus moodboard for both masc and femme names, and I’ll be touching up a few of the previous aesthetics before making a final wrap-up post. The end approaches!

I’m calling this one Desert Mystic. Names in this category are priestesses and qedeshim, pharaohs and queens, goddesses and oracles, magi and nomads. Colors and textures are sand and onyx, turquoise and copper, lapis and bronze, white and gold; towering pyramids, lush hanging gardens, and vast cities carved from stone; plumes of incense wafting through ancient temples; ornate headdresses, heavy gold torques, and bangles glittering with jewels; caravans of camels winding through the endless dunes; jackal-headed canopic jars and lavish sarcophagi carved with scarabs; anointed priestesses presiding over ecstatic rites; sweeping epics of underworld journeys and twisting sea serpents; veiled dancers with eyes lined in kohl and fingers dipped in gold; cuneiform tablets, papyrus scrolls, and crumbling walls covered in sacred glyphs; bright burnished sunshine on endless red sands.

Moodboard

This aesthetic was born out of my lifelong fascination with and love for ancient Mesopotamian religions. Bonus points for names with Sumerian, Akkadian, Babylonian, Phoenician, and Assyrian origins, as well as ancient Egyptian, Canaanite, Arabic, and Hebrew names. As always, I’ll be adding my favorites to a public list as we go along.

So. What would you name a Desert Mystic?

Previous Aesthetics:

Masc
Femme
5 Likes

excited for more of your aesthetics! for this one I definitely am trying to pull on the jewel tone imagery of riches while complementing the sandstone desert vibes as much as possible.

Adela
Amal
Anat
Atarah
Ayelech
Bilen
Danit
Emebet
Esmeralda
Gal
Gefen
Hiba
Imani
Ishbel
Jade
Marjani
Meresankh
Nicola
Ofira
Pia
Sabina
Samira
Sigal
Tanith
Tamar
Tatiana

2 Likes

[name_m]Ramses[/name_m]
Seti
[name_f]Isis[/name_f]
Baast
[name_m]Arik[/name_m]
[name_f]Aviva[/name_f]
[name_f]Ayla[/name_f]
[name_m]Balthazar[/name_m]
[name_f]Maye[/name_f]
[name_m]Jabari[/name_m]
[name_f]Eboni[/name_f]
[name_f]Lapis[/name_f]
Adom
Bahiti
[name_f]Safiya[/name_f]
[name_f]Umi[/name_f]
Kasiya
Kosey
Khepri
[name_u]Jade[/name_u]

1 Like

Yay, I’ve missed these!

Safie/Safaa
[name_f]Vashti[/name_f]
[name_f]Aura[/name_f]
Lujayn
[name_f]Estella[/name_f]
Aramina
[name_f]Aida[/name_f]
[name_f]Nephele[/name_f]
[name_u]Azure[/name_u]
Izarra
[name_f]Lysandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Ayesha[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadira[/name_f]
[name_f]Ishtar[/name_f]
[name_f]Menna[/name_f]
Inana
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Anahi[/name_f]
[name_f]Lapis[/name_f]

Sorry if those arent quite the right vibe

1 Like

I am not super familiar with what would be accurate, but I have enjoyed looking at other Berries’ responses, and really just listed the names that came to mind for my own reply.

Alora
Phaedra
Ceredwen
Valeria
Rivera
Rowena

1 Like

Cleopatra
Araluen
Xochitl
Eliora
Semiramis
Nefertari
Bathsheba
Flavia
Lilith
Mariel
Arya
Salome
Josepha (yo-seph-uh)
Petra
Aaliyah
Alzira
Xena
Ara
Aviva
Eilonwy
Fatima
Nadia
Nadira
Indira
Olympias
Noor
Romina
Sarai
Yaritza
Zuleika
Zola
Adira
Nadra

2 Likes

[name_f]Selket[/name_f] :sparkles:

1 Like

Seconding [name_f]Ishbel[/name_f] and [name_f]Tanith[/name_f]!

Pulling strongly from the areas/origins mentioned, as well as the gold and coppery colours and the desert imagery and feeling•••
[name_f]Ahava[/name_f]
Allatum
[name_f]Aranka[/name_f]
[name_f]Arava[/name_f] | [name_f]Aravah[/name_f]
Ashtoreth
[name_u]Coriander[/name_u]
Herneith
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
Merneith
Nephthys
[name_f]Nineveh[/name_f]
Ninlil
[name_f]Nubia[/name_f] (I’m especially loving this one for this aesthetic! It’s both an ancient kingdom close to current day [name_u]Egypt[/name_u], and possibly derived from an Egyptian word for gold. Feels so fitting)
[name_u]Oasis[/name_u]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_f]Sahara[/name_f]
[name_f]Samara[/name_f]
Siduri
Tiamat
[name_m]Waris[/name_m]
Werenro
Yaara
[name_f]Zahara[/name_f]

2 Likes

this has got to be my favourite aesthetic yet! i enjoy writing and i love reading long descriptions, and the one you included in your post was just amazing :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

lulit
sapphira
gypsy
medusa
turquoise
jewel
hesperia
lazuli
indemira
nesrine
mounira
sahara
tourmaline

1 Like

[name_f]Ishbel[/name_f] stood out to me as incongruous on this topic as here it’s a very Scottish name! Know elderly ladies named this and I hear it in a thick Scots accent so it couldn’t be further from these vibes at all for me, more of a wild highland moors or cottage garden aesthetic- however if I put that aside and concentrate on the Hebrew origins it can work.

[name_f]Nephele[/name_f], [name_f]Fairuza[/name_f] (Persian Firuzeh may work better - it means turquoise).

As so many have mentioned, I adore your description. You’re a fabulous, evocative writer.

1 Like

[name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
Nimhara
[name_f]Soraya[/name_f]
[name_f]Naiara[/name_f] / [name_f]Maiara[/name_f]
Lithia / Lilithia

1 Like

I wanted to drop a few more nature names that I like with this aesthetic, as I know you always want to include one in each combination.

[name_f]Acacia[/name_f]
Capparis | Caper (I was a little hesitant to add these, as they might be a little too playful for this aesthetic?)
Capsicum
[name_u]Caraway[/name_u]
Cardamom
[name_u]Clove[/name_u]
Ephedra
Eucalyptus
[name_f]Fig[/name_f]
[name_f]Henna[/name_f]
[name_u]Lotus[/name_u]
Mahleb
Rosewater
Sumac
Tahini | Tahina
[name_f]Tamarind[/name_f]
[name_u]Tamarisk[/name_u] | Tamarix
Za’atar
[name_f]Zilla[/name_f]

Some place or geographical names
[name_f]Arabia[/name_f]
Biskra
[name_m]Indus[/name_m]
Karakum
Maghreb
Mashriq | Mashrek
[name_m]Sahel[/name_m]
Tamaris | Tambre
Tibesti

One more name I thought might fit
[name_f]Cassiane[/name_f] | [name_f]Kassiani[/name_f]

1 Like

Wow! I just discovered your moodboards and I LOVE them.

[name_f]Ayla[/name_f]
[name_u]Cleo[/name_u]
Nymeria
[name_f]Safia[/name_f]
[name_f]Saria[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
Zahia
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Alia[/name_f]

1 Like
some ideas

Zahra
Niobe
Amulet
Safina
Neferet
Roza
Nayla
Ashara
Nesreen
Ismira
Asmeret
Myriah
Orube / Orouba
Ferida / Ferideh
Yasameen / Yasmeen
Azara
Meereen
Jaïda
Amunet
Sennefer & Amasis (I know they originally masculine names, but…)
Tamina
Haliya
Seriah
Rahma
Meryem
Isra / Asra
Tasnim
Yara
Zaïra
Shereen / Shireen
Laleh
Ranya
Perla
Nuria / Nuriya
Aslana
Aya
Samara / Semira
Saniya
Nohara
Noemia
Simona
Sienna
Carmel / Carmen
Safira
Nadira
Shiela
Mira / Meera
Ariba
Dilara
Adalet
Azra
Nazli
Nida
Rahma
Arzu
Nafisa
Nesma
Noura
Lalezar
Evra
Alara
Rubina
Roya
Mavisu
Zahia
Taraneh
Nasta
Meseret
Sarai
Layla

Okay, I will stop here…

1 Like

(Reply 1 of 2, since I like to respond to each person individually, and can only tag 10 per post.)

@lateaugust - Thank you so much! I have really missed making them! This is a gorgeous list. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_u]Anat[/name_u], [name_f]Atarah[/name_f], [name_u]Imani[/name_u], [name_f]Marjani[/name_f] (love the way this looks written out), Meresankh, [name_f]Ofira[/name_f], [name_f]Tanith[/name_f] (swooon), and [name_f]Tamar[/name_f].
I also like [name_u]Amal[/name_u], Ayelech (gorgeous meaning!), [name_f]Danit[/name_f], [name_f]Emebet[/name_f], [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f], [name_f]Ishbel[/name_f], [name_u]Jade[/name_u], and [name_f]Samira[/name_f].
[name_u]Gal[/name_u], [name_f]Gefen[/name_f], [name_f]Hiba[/name_f], and [name_f]Sigal[/name_f] are not my personal style, but I think they definitely fit the aesthetic.

@Byan-kuh - Thank you for your suggestions! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are Bast, [name_f]Safiya[/name_f], Kasiya, and Khepri.
I also like [name_f]Isis[/name_f] (though I find it sadly unusable), [name_f]Lapis[/name_f], Bahiti, and [name_u]Jade[/name_u].
I don’t personally care for [name_f]Aviva[/name_f], but she does fit the brief, so I’ll ad her to the list!
I do love [name_m]Ramses[/name_m], Seti, [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] (Balthasar is on my short list), and [name_m]Jabari[/name_m] as masc names.

@Greyblue - I’ve missed them too!
I know you were worried about the vibe, but I think you really nailed it with this list! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Vashti[/name_f] (a life long love!), [name_f]Aura[/name_f], [name_f]Nephele[/name_f] (as well as the [name_f]Nefeli[/name_f] spelling, which gives me [name_f]Nefertiti[/name_f] vibes), [name_u]Azure[/name_u], and [name_f]Ishtar[/name_f].
I also like Safie (especially as a nickname for [name_f]Safiya[/name_f] or Saffron), [name_f]Aida[/name_f], [name_f]Lysandra[/name_f], [name_f]Ayesha[/name_f], [name_f]Nadira[/name_f], [name_f]Inanna[/name_f], [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], and [name_f]Lapis[/name_f].

@may.rose - [name_f]Alora[/name_f] is perfect for this list! I also love [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] and [name_f]Rowena[/name_f], just for different aesthetics.

@Larryisalittledog - Another gorgeous list! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] (of course!), [name_f]Semiramis[/name_f], [name_f]Nefertari[/name_f] (swoon), [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], [name_f]Salome[/name_f] (I would use this in a heartbeat if I didn’t already have [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] on my masc shortlist), [name_f]Indira[/name_f], and [name_u]Noor[/name_u].
I also like [name_f]Xochitl[/name_f], [name_f]Eliora[/name_f], [name_f]Petra[/name_f], [name_f]Aaliyah[/name_f], [name_f]Alzira[/name_f], [name_f]Nadira[/name_f], [name_f]Olympias[/name_f], [name_f]Sarai[/name_f], [name_f]Adira[/name_f], and [name_f]Nadra[/name_f].
I adore [name_f]Araluen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eilonwy[/name_f], and [name_f]Yaritza[/name_f] is lovely, just for different aesthetics.
[name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f], [name_f]Flavia[/name_f], [name_u]Ara[/name_u], [name_f]Aviva[/name_f], [name_f]Fatima[/name_f], and [name_f]Zuleika[/name_f] aren’t my personal favorites, but I definitely think they belong on the list!

@EdgeOfTheMeadow - [name_f]Selket[/name_f] is so stunning! I’ve always loved Serqet, but this is the first time I’ve heard this variant. And [name_f]Selkie[/name_f] would be a gorgeous nickname! :heart_eyes:

@columbiacharm - This is a thoughtful and magical list, as always! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Arava[/name_f], Ashtoreth, [name_u]Coriander[/name_u], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], Nephthys, [name_f]Saffron[/name_f] (LOVE), [name_f]Samara[/name_f], and Tiamat (a long-time favorite). [name_f]Tanith[/name_f] is also high on the list!
I also like [name_f]Ahava[/name_f], [name_f]Aranka[/name_f], [name_f]Aravah[/name_f], Merneith, [name_f]Nineveh[/name_f], Ninlil, [name_f]Nubia[/name_f], [name_f]Sahara[/name_f], Siduri, Yaara, and [name_f]Zahara[/name_f].
Herneith and Werenro aren’t personally attractive to me but they definitely fit the brief, so I’ll add them to the list!

@wintergarden - Thank you so much for your sweet compliments! I’m so glad you enjoyed this aesthetic!
This is a lovely list. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Lulit[/name_f], [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f], Nesrine (I’ve always loved [name_f]Nasrin[/name_f] but never heard this variant!), and [name_f]Tourmaline[/name_f].
I also like [name_f]Turquoise[/name_f], [name_u]Lazuli[/name_u], Indemira, Mounira, and [name_f]Sahara[/name_f].
There was a time when G*psy would have been at the top of my list, because in the area where I live, it’s considered a synonym for bohemian, a hippie-ish sort of person full of magic and wanderlust. But I learned several years ago that in the region where the [name_u]Roma[/name_u] people are most concentrated, the word as used as a racial slur towards them, and since then I’ve considered it unusable.

@Lula-Rose - Thank you for the context on [name_f]Ishbel[/name_f]! It’s good to know that it has a very Scottish flavor in some parts of the world.
I adore both [name_f]Nephele[/name_f] and [name_f]Fairuza[/name_f], so definitely adding them to the list.
“Evocative” is one of the highest compliments I can receive on my writing, because it is always my goal. Thank you so much for your kind words!

@Oblivious_octopus - [name_f]Beautiful[/name_f] names! [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] and [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] are already on my shortlist for other combos, but I think they work just as well here, so I’ll add them to the list.
I also like Nimhara (though I couldn’t use it with Nimue), [name_f]Naiara[/name_f], and Lithia.
Thank you for the suggestions!

7 Likes

Reply part 2!

@columbiacharm - Thanks for giving this a second go! I love that you remembered my penchant for nature names! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Acacia[/name_f], [name_u]Caraway[/name_u], [name_u]Clove[/name_u], [name_f]Henna[/name_f] (perfect here!), [name_u]Lotus[/name_u], [name_u]Tamarisk[/name_u], and Tamaris.
I also like Capparis (Caper would have been a little much, but I think Capparis is a lovely choice!), Ephedra, Mahaleb, [name_f]Tamarind[/name_f], Za’atar, Biskra, Tambre, and Tibesti.
I don’t personally care for [name_f]Cassiane[/name_f] or [name_f]Kassiani[/name_f], but I love [name_f]Cassia[/name_f].
Rosewater made me think of [name_f]Wildrose[/name_f] which I find strangely compelling with this aesthetic!

@Camelia - Thank you so much! I’m glad you’re enjoying them!
[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites from your list are Nymeria and [name_f]Safia[/name_f].
I also like [name_f]Saria[/name_f] and [name_u]Cleo[/name_u], though I confess I’d be more likely to use [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] than [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] alone.
[name_f]Zara[/name_f] isn’t my cup of tea, but it definitely fits the aesthetic, so I’ll add it to the list.

@mirais - What a gorgeous list of ideas! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Niobe[/name_f], Amulet (I’m a sucker for a good word name), [name_f]Neferet[/name_f] (gorgeous), Asmeret, Amunet, [name_m]Nuriya[/name_m], [name_f]Samara[/name_f], Semira, [name_f]Safira[/name_f], [name_f]Nafisa[/name_f],
I also like [name_f]Zahra[/name_f] (strange what a difference one letter makes), Safina, Ashara, Nesreen, Ismira, Myriah (though I prefer Myrrh and will be adding that to the list as well!), Amasis, [name_f]Meryem[/name_f], [name_u]Isra[/name_u], [name_f]Asra[/name_f], Tasnim, Zaïra, Shireen, [name_f]Saniya[/name_f], [name_f]Nadira[/name_f], [name_f]Dilara[/name_f] (gorgeous meaning!), [name_f]Adalet[/name_f], Nesma, Lalezar, and [name_f]Sarai[/name_f].
Ferida, [name_f]Yasmeen[/name_f], [name_f]Azara[/name_f], [name_f]Tamina[/name_f], Haliya, [name_f]Yara[/name_f], [name_f]Ranya[/name_f], Ariba, [name_f]Nazli[/name_f], [name_f]Rahma[/name_f], Arzu, [name_f]Noura[/name_f] (I strongly prefer Noor), Zahia, Taraneh, Meseret, and [name_f]Layla[/name_f] are not my personal style, but I do think they fit the aesthetic so I’ll add them to the list.
I love the look and sound of Sennefer, but the meaning (“good brother”) doesn’t work for me as a femme name. I also prefer [name_m]Aslan[/name_m] for my masc list over Aslana for my femme list. The meaning of [name_f]Alara[/name_f] is stunning, but it’s also a term used to describe radiation levels. And I do find [name_f]Noemia[/name_f] beautiful, just not for this aesthetic.
Thank you for all the time and effort you put into compiling this list!

3 Likes

Yay, I’ve missed these!

How about:
Tenar
[name_f]Merope[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Asherah[/name_f]
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f]
[name_f]Fatima[/name_f]
Anatu
Sheli
Kishar
[name_f]Inanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Tikvah[/name_f]
Shala

2 Likes

[name_u]Amal[/name_u]
[name_f]Isis[/name_f]
[name_f]Nefeli[/name_f]
[name_f]Yasmin[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f]
[name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]
[name_f]Nefertiti[/name_f]
Tiye
Merneith
Hathor
[name_f]Nubia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sheba[/name_f]
[name_f]Neith[/name_f]
Ammit
Maat
Netum
[name_u]Amar[/name_u]
Bahiti
[name_u]Iman[/name_u]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Zala[/name_f]
[name_f]Salma[/name_f]
[name_f]Fatima[/name_f]
[name_f]Zehra[/name_f]
[name_f]Naja[/name_f]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_f]Aisha[/name_f]

2 Likes

@julieghoulie730 - I’m glad you enjoy them! This is a lovely list. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Asherah[/name_f], Anatu, and Kishar (which is stunning and has the most amazing meaning / history!)
I also like [name_f]Inanna[/name_f], [name_f]Tikvah[/name_f], and Shala.
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] and [name_f]Fatima[/name_f] aren’t my personal style, but I think they fit the aesthetic perfectly.
I do love [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], just not for this aesthetic.

@LoneStar - Gorgeous suggestions! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Nefeli[/name_f] (I’m normally partial to the [name_f]Nephele[/name_f] spelling, but I love [name_f]Nefeli[/name_f] for this aesthetic!), [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f], [name_f]Nefertiti[/name_f], Tiye, [name_f]Neith[/name_f], [name_f]Naja[/name_f], and [name_f]Saffron[/name_f].
I also like [name_u]Amal[/name_u], [name_f]Isis[/name_f] (though I could never use it), [name_f]Yasmin[/name_f], Merneith, [name_f]Nubia[/name_f], [name_f]Sheba[/name_f], Bahiti, [name_f]Zehra[/name_f], and [name_f]Aisha[/name_f].
Hathor, Ammit, Ma’at, [name_u]Iman[/name_u], [name_f]Zara[/name_f], [name_f]Zala[/name_f], [name_f]Salma[/name_f], and [name_f]Fatima[/name_f] are not my personal cup of tea, but I do think they fit the vibe.
I do adore [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u], but for a different aesthetic.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

i totally missed this aesthetic! i love it :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

the first names that came to mind were Sejmet / Sekhmet & Ainaz ! which i love a lot

some others:
Cleo
Cleopatra
Aixa
Aisha
Salma
Jaira
Anjali
Anjoli
Asha
Asia
Aviva