Names for a Gothic Immortal {moodboard}

Time for another LavenderWitch aesthetic!

Recap

I’ve been really struggling to get my name lists in order following the birth of my first actual tiny human. (For some reason, now that she’s been named, it felt like all my lists of combos and ideas for potential future siblings were just in shambles. )

I’ve been so inspired by all the name aesthetics and moodboards y’all have been posting lately, so I decided to start collecting names into categories based on the aesthetics I’m going for! So far, I’ve done eight masc aesthetics, and my goal is ten masc and ten femme. We’re almost halfway there!

I’m calling this one Gothic Immortal. Names in this category are vampires and werewolves, occultists and warlocks, angels and demons, ghosts and mediums - immortal beings from the pages of Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, Edgar Allen Poe, etc. Colors and textures are shadow and smoke, charcoal and mist; the iridescent black of raven feathers and the passionate red of pomegranate seeds; ornate goblets filled with wine (or is it blood?); lush red velvet and black brocade; statues of angels weeping over mausoleums; scrying mirrors made of depthless obsidian; elaborate candelabras dripping with wax; spirit boards and seance tables; walls of portraits that follow you with their eyes; grimoires filled with occult symbols; the sound of wolves howling on the moors.

Moodboard

This was another difficult one, and while I’m not completely satisfied with it, I think it gets the point across. So! What would you name a Gothic Immortal? (I’ll be updating the list here as we go.)

Previous Aesthetics
3 Likes

Lothaire comes to mind (but the moodboard/aesthetic strongly reminds me of a book series called Immortals After Dark so there is that).
Some others:
Cadeon
[name_m]Orpheus[/name_m]
Theran
Thesian
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m]
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u] / Vespers
Zephrem / [name_m]Zephan[/name_m]
[name_u]Nyx[/name_u]
[name_m]Damon[/name_m]
[name_m]Zane[/name_m]
Zellan
Zelophehad
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Leonid[/name_m]
[name_m]Galahad[/name_m]
Mordred
Carrow
Thronos
[name_m]Bram[/name_m] / [name_u]Bran[/name_u]
[name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]
Celestian
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Gareth[/name_m]
[name_m]Tybalt[/name_m]
Nicca

[name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
[name_m]Caedmon[/name_m]
[name_m]Finnian[/name_m]
[name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
[name_m]Cornelius[/name_m]
[name_u]Odell[/name_u]
[name_m]Horatio[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Nestor[/name_m]
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
[name_m]Rhydian[/name_m]
[name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_m]Ozias[/name_m]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]
Salazar
[name_m]Amias[/name_m]
[name_m]Cleon[/name_m]

@GreenEyes375 - Ooh, I haven’t heard of this series… I’ll have to check it out!
I’m loving Lothaire, Cadeon, [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m], Theran, [name_m]Stellan[/name_m], [name_m]Zephram[/name_m], [name_u]Nyx[/name_u], [name_m]Damon[/name_m], [name_m]Zane[/name_m], [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], [name_m]Bram[/name_m], and [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m].

@Greyblue - I’m gonna take that to be two votes for [name_u]Onyx[/name_u] :laughing:
I’m also liking [name_m]Caedmon[/name_m], [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m], [name_m]Horatio[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m], [name_m]Rhydian[/name_m], [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], [name_m]Ozias[/name_m], Salazar, and [name_m]Amias[/name_m] for this one!

I’m off to update the list!

1 Like
Key

I’ve added a symbol next to each to show whether I think these names fit the vibe by colour, sound or meaning. Colour can be very arbitrary for me as I have colour hearing and grapheme synaesthesia, which makes me associate names with certain letters with certain colours, e.g M=black and R=red.
Key ~
colour = :black_heart: :hearts:
sound = :musical_note:
meaning = :books:

Hemming :books:
[name_m]Casimir[/name_m] :black_heart: :hearts: :musical_note: :books:
[name_m]Vladimir[/name_m] :black_heart: :hearts: :musical_note:
[name_u]Merle[/name_u] :black_heart: :hearts: :musical_note:
[name_m]Dacre[/name_m] :black_heart: :hearts: :musical_note:
[name_m]Rurik[/name_m] :black_heart: :hearts: :musical_note:
[name_m]Rohmer[/name_m] :black_heart: :hearts: :musical_note:
[name_m]Ingram[/name_m] or [name_m]Ingraham[/name_m] :books:
[name_u]Corbin[/name_u] :books:

1 Like

@EdgeOfTheMeadow - Thank you! I always find it fascinating the different ways people experience synesthesia! I’m loving [name_m]Casimir[/name_m], [name_m]Vladimir[/name_m], and [name_u]Corbin[/name_u] from your suggestions.

1 Like

such a cool aesthetic!

orpheus
draco
vladislav
antonin
eliseo
evelio
andrius
edgar
viridian
horatio
odessyus
atilio
leonidas
alisdair
costello
davian
damon
percival
aurelian
dacey
cassander
flavian
dmitri
adrian
hades
adamo
bowen
alexandros
achilleo

1 Like

Corvus
[name_m]Fenris[/name_m]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
[name_m]Florin[/name_m]
[name_m]Abaddon[/name_m]
[name_m]Laurent[/name_m]
Castellan
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_m]Raziel[/name_m]
[name_m]Casimir[/name_m]
Morcant
Drustan
[name_m]Wolfram[/name_m]
[name_m]Salvador[/name_m]
Asrael
Davorin
[name_m]Etienne[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Dante[/name_m]
[name_m]Corentin[/name_m]
Rambaud

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve seen these mentioned yet

[name_m]Salvatore[/name_m]
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
[name_u]Sinclair[/name_u]
[name_m]Astrophel[/name_m]
Castle
[name_m]Castiel[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicanor[/name_m]
[name_m]Alarik[/name_m]
[name_m]Severin[/name_m]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m]
[name_m]Locke[/name_m]
[name_m]Adriel[/name_m]

1 Like

@Ellory - Thank you! It was a bit of a departure for me, because most of mine are nature-based.
I’m loving so many of your suggestions - [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m], [name_m]Draco[/name_m], [name_m]Vladislav[/name_m], [name_m]Antonin[/name_m], [name_m]Horatio[/name_m], [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m], [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m], [name_m]Davian[/name_m], [name_m]Damon[/name_m], [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m], [name_m]Cassander[/name_m], [name_m]Flavian[/name_m], [name_m]Dmitri[/name_m], [name_u]Adrian[/name_u], [name_m]Hades[/name_m], and [name_m]Alexandros[/name_m] are all going on the list!

@moonkai - Excellent suggestions! I’m loving Corvus, [name_m]Fenris[/name_m], [name_u]Dorian[/name_u], [name_m]Abaddon[/name_m], [name_m]Laurent[/name_m], Castellan, [name_m]Lucian[/name_m] (SWOON), [name_m]Raziel[/name_m], [name_m]Casimir[/name_m], Morcant, [name_m]Wolfram[/name_m], [name_m]Salvador[/name_m], Asrael, [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Dante[/name_m], and [name_m]Corentin[/name_m].

@rhodes2nowhere - So many beauties! I’m loving [name_m]Salvatore[/name_m], [name_u]Sterling[/name_u], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u], [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m], [name_m]Nicanor[/name_m], [name_m]Alaric[/name_m] (I prefer this spelling), [name_m]Severin[/name_m], [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], [name_m]Osiris[/name_m], [name_m]Locke[/name_m], and [name_m]Adriel[/name_m].

Thank you for the great suggestions!!

3 Likes

this one is hard!
for some reason im feeling long & strong but also fancy B names for this one so some suggestions:
[name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
Oryx
[name_m]Draco[/name_m]
[name_m]Damon[/name_m]
[name_m]Vladimir[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Anastasios[/name_m]
[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m]
[name_u]Constantine[/name_u]
[name_m]Castiel[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Bartholome[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnabas[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Beowulf[/name_m]
[name_m]Baltazar[/name_m]
[name_m]Balthazar[/name_m]
[name_m]Berthold[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnard[/name_m]
[name_m]Bernard[/name_m]
[name_m]Bertrand[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassius[/name_m]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m]
[name_m]Dagger[/name_m]
[name_m]Spike[/name_m]
[name_m]Gaspar[/name_m]
[name_m]Gaspard[/name_m]
Wenceslav
[name_m]Ladislav[/name_m]
[name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m]

i think [name_m]Vladimir[/name_m], [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], [name_m]Bastian[/name_m], [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] & [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] are my faves for this one

1 Like

@vida - I love that you’re feeling the long and fancy B names for this one, because [name_m]Balthasar[/name_m] was the seed name for this aesthetic!
Lots of great names on this list! I’m loving [name_u]Onyx[/name_u], Oryx, [name_m]Draco[/name_m], [name_m]Damon[/name_m], [name_m]Vladimir[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m], [name_u]Constantine[/name_u], [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], [name_m]Bastian[/name_m], [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m], [name_m]Beowulf[/name_m], [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m], [name_m]Berthold[/name_m], [name_m]Cassius[/name_m], [name_u]Kieran[/name_u], [name_m]Alaric[/name_m], [name_m]Gaspard[/name_m], [name_m]Ladislav[/name_m], and [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m].

[name_m]Draco[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Edison[/name_u]
[name_m]Ives[/name_m]
[name_m]Bram[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Marcellus[/name_m]
[name_u]Davin[/name_u]
[name_m]Zaccheus[/name_m]
[name_m]Langston[/name_m]
[name_m]Roderick[/name_m]
[name_m]Aloysius[/name_m]
[name_m]Philander[/name_m]

1 Like

@Sophie_sawriter - Thank you for this list! [name_m]Aloysius[/name_m] in particular caught my eye! :heart_eyes: I’m also loving [name_m]Draco[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Ives[/name_m], [name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_m]Phineas[/name_m], [name_u]Sterling[/name_u], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Marcellus[/name_m], and [name_m]Roderick[/name_m].
I love the idea of [name_m]Philander[/name_m], with it’s lovely meaning, the Ph that always appeals to me, and the handsome -ander ending a la [name_m]Evander[/name_m], [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], [name_u]Leander[/name_u], etc. But unfortunately, I can’t dissociate the name from the word philanderer.
Thanks for the great suggestions!

Maybe it’s a bit too late to reply but I got inspired! I love your description, very Gothic Victorian! I got very carried away here, the list just kept on growing, which was a surprise for me since I usually have more difficulty with masculine names! As I wrote them down, and me being a writer, I started to imagine some of the names on fictional characters, and they got their unique appearance and personality and… let’s just say I went very overboard with this, haha. Hopefully they’ll fit the aesthetic too :black_heart::coffin::alembic::scroll::crystal_ball::bat:

Abaddon
Abel
Abraxas
Adolphus
Adonis
Aion
Albus
Aldebaran
Alec
Alexei
Algernon
Alphonse
Altair
Amadeus
Amiel
Amnon
Amon
Amos
Amraphel
Angelus
Antoine
Antonin
Araziel
Archimedes
Arcturus
Argento
Armand
Argantael
Arnaud
Arsène
Asmodaeus / Asmodai
Astraeus / Asterius
Augustine
Azar
Azarel / Azrael
Azazel
Barnabas
Belgrave
Bellerophon
Beowulf
Bernard
Betelgeuse
Caiaphas
Cain
Caelestis
Caelifer
Caelum
Carnelian
Cassian
Castamir
Castor
Charlemagne
Colgrevance
Corbin
Cordovan
Coriolanus
Corvus
Crescent
Daemon
Deimos
Devereux
Dragomir
Eleazar
Elphinstone
Émilien
Emrys
Ephraim
Eridanus
Etamin
Faustus / Faust
Feardorcha
Ferdinand / Fernand
Fidelio
François
Gaspard
Germain
Gustave
Hadias
Hamlet
Hazael
Hemlock
Hesperos / Hesperus
Hezron
Ichabod
Idris
Issachar
Ivan
Khensu
Koschei
Lapidoth
Laurentin / Laurentius
Lazarus
Leonid
Leonidas
Leopold
Locrian
Lonán
Lorenzo
Loup
Luan
Lucian / Lucion / Lucius
Lucifer
Lunan
Lupin
Lycan
Lycurgus
Lycus
Lynx
Lysander
Malachite
Malvolio
Marcel
Marmaduke
Melech
Mephisto
Meroveus / Merovius
Midas
Mirach
Mithras
Mizar
Montague
Montmorency
Morbius
Mordecai
Nero
Nestor
Nikodim
Nikolai
Noctis
Nocturne
Nox
Numenius
Obsidian / Obsidius
Orpheus
Ozias
Percival
Phobos
Phoebus
Poet / Poe
Prometheus
Rajani
Rakesh
Randolph
Ranulphus
Raoul
Raphael
Rastaban
Reginald
Regulus
Renard
Revere
Rigel
Rhydian / Rhidian
Roman
Salaman
Salaram
Samael
Scorpius
Seraphim
Silas
Sirius
Sylvain
Sylvester / Silvester
Talon
Thelonious
Theseus
Tiras
Teiresias / Tiresias
Trevelyan
Ulric
Umbriel
Vadim
Valentinian
Valmir
Victor
Virgil / Virgilius
Wolfram
Xavier
Zebulon / Zebulun
Zelophehad
Zenon
Zephan
Zephyran / Zephyrin
Zerach
Zimri

1 Like

@ShaniaLiz - Wow, this is another amazing collection of names! I really do love that you go “overboard,” it’s like [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] morning! I’m also really glad the aesthetics inspire you - you’re totally free to reference them for writing purposes - I actually think that is super cool!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites from this list are [name_m]Abaddon[/name_m], [name_m]Abraxas[/name_m], [name_m]Adonis[/name_m], Aldebaran, [name_m]Algernon[/name_m], [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m], [name_m]Altair[/name_m], [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m], Amnon, [name_m]Amon[/name_m], Amraphel (oooh, shiny), [name_m]Angelus[/name_m], [name_u]Antoine[/name_u], [name_m]Antonin[/name_m], Araziel, [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m], [name_m]Arcturus[/name_m], [name_m]Armand[/name_m], Asmodeus (preferred spelling), [name_m]Astraeus[/name_m], [name_u]Augustine[/name_u], [name_u]Azrael[/name_u], Azazel, [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m], Bellerophon (swooon), Caiaphas, [name_m]Cain[/name_m] (I have a character with this name), Caelestis, Caelifer (love this), [name_m]Carnelian[/name_m], Castamir, [name_m]Castor[/name_m], Corvus, [name_m]Daemon[/name_m], [name_m]Dragomir[/name_m], Eridanus, [name_m]Faust[/name_m], [name_m]Faustus[/name_m], [name_m]Gaspard[/name_m], [name_m]Hazael[/name_m], Hemlock (oooooh I LOVE this as a word/nature name!), [name_u]Idris[/name_u], Issachar, [name_m]Laurentin[/name_m], [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m], [name_m]Leopold[/name_m], [name_m]Lorenzo[/name_m], [name_m]Lucian[/name_m], [name_m]Lucius[/name_m], [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m], [name_u]Lupin[/name_u], Lycan, [name_u]Lynx[/name_u], [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], [name_m]Malachite[/name_m], Mephisto, Mithras, [name_m]Mordecai[/name_m], [name_m]Nero[/name_m] (I would never use this on a person, but I love the way it looks and sounds!), Nocturne (LOVE this as a name!), Numenius, [name_m]Obsidian[/name_m], [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m], [name_u]Poe[/name_u], [name_m]Prometheus[/name_m], [name_m]Raoul[/name_m], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], [name_m]Regulus[/name_m], [name_u]Revere[/name_u], [name_u]Rigel[/name_u], [name_m]Rhydian[/name_m], [name_m]Salaman[/name_m], [name_m]Samael[/name_m] (I adore this as a way to honor a Sam), [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m], [name_m]Seraphim[/name_m] (swoon), [name_m]Sirius[/name_m], [name_m]Sylvain[/name_m], [name_u]Sylvester[/name_u], [name_m]Talon[/name_m], [name_m]Zephyrin[/name_m], and [name_m]Zimri[/name_m].

I like [name_m]Albus[/name_m], but feel it’s inextricable from Dumbledore; [name_u]Corbin[/name_u], but it’s unusable due to a personal connection; [name_m]Coriolanus[/name_m], but find it too similar visually to Coronavirus; Elphinstone, but find it a little over the top (even for me, which is saying something! side-eyes Baelfire); [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], but this is the seed name for a different aesthetic; and [name_m]Thelonius[/name_m], but I can’t see past the meaning.

Thank you again for another fantastic compilation of names!

1 Like

Oh my, you’re totally right that [name_m]Coriolanus[/name_m] is similiar (both visually and soundwise) to Coronavirus! I didn’t even think about that!
And thank you again for your kind reply (you’re making me blush :relaxed:), the long compilations really is thanks to your aesthetics!
(I also love that you’ve a character named [name_m]Cain[/name_m], it’s such a cool name, I wish I saw it more often!)

1 Like

[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]!
[name_u]Oleander[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucius[/name_m]
[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucifer[/name_m]
[name_m]Ansel[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_m]Dragomir[/name_m]
[name_m]Vladimir[/name_m]
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
[name_m]Caius[/name_m]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m]
[name_m]Remus[/name_m]
[name_m]Octavius[/name_m]
[name_m]Severus[/name_m]
[name_m]Tiberius[/name_m]
[name_m]Julius[/name_m]
[name_m]Mordecai[/name_m]
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximus[/name_m]
[name_m]Casimir[/name_m]
[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m]
[name_m]Romulus[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_u]Jupiter[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Amias[/name_m]

1 Like

@ShaniaLiz - You’re so welcome! I’m always very excited to see your responses. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Larryisalittledog - So many of my favorites on this list! I’m especially loving [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_u]Oleander[/name_u], [name_m]Lucius[/name_m], [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m], [name_m]Dragomir[/name_m], [name_m]Alaric[/name_m], [name_m]Mordecai[/name_m], [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m], and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m].
I also like [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m], [name_m]Ansel[/name_m], [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] (though I wish it wasn’t so associated with [name_f]Miley[/name_f] and BIlly Ray!), [name_m]Vladimir[/name_m], [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m], [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Caspar[/name_m], [name_m]Octavius[/name_m] (though I prefer Octavian), [name_m]Severus[/name_m], [name_m]Julius[/name_m] (though I strongly prefer Julian), [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], [name_m]Casimir[/name_m], [name_m]Romulus[/name_m], [name_m]Roman[/name_m], and [name_m]Amias[/name_m].
I adore [name_m]Orson[/name_m], [name_m]Soren[/name_m], [name_m]Tiberius[/name_m], and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], just for different aesthetics.
You really nailed my style with this one! And it’s a very timely response, because I’ve been shuffling some combos around and needed to revisit this list for a new middle option…

Thank you! :purple_heart:

1 Like